PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night RL

TW2 Saint
22nd January 2012, 14:30
Starting from the end of May it would appear that Sky are contemplating Monday Night RL - whether it's in addition to the scheduled 2 live games or will mean changing the Fri/Sat game to a Mon is not clear. They want to do it when there is nothing else on (obviously when the football season has finished) by the proposed start date.

Cue the furore.........

Geoggy
22nd January 2012, 14:59
That would be the end of me as a season ticket holder

wardies love child
22nd January 2012, 15:00
As long as it ain't saints then I'm not bothered other wise I'm against the idea. Don't they play Monday's in the southern hemisphere.

Harri81
22nd January 2012, 15:06
That would kill the game, Friday nights is hard enough trying to get over the M62 to and from Yorkshire, who is going to do that at the start of the week with work in the morning?? Sheer madness and I hope the RFL puts some strong arguments against it rather than bowing to the money.

rally
22nd January 2012, 15:08
Why can't try just do Sundays? It will be a pain in the backside for away fans if they are travelling from Yorkshire.

Albion
22nd January 2012, 15:16
Interesting really.

Monday night football is a great concept at the minute on sky, so maybe we could have a similar set up which would include more analysis with potentially different analalysts and commentators than the weekend games.

In theory it could be a good idea, but whether it would be viable is a different matter

rally
22nd January 2012, 15:21
It will be good for sky because theyll get great viewing figures from it but it might have a negative effect on attendances at live games.

TW2 Saint
22nd January 2012, 15:33
Sky can basically do as they please and we must dance to the paymasters tune. It will no doubt affect all clubs if it comes in

BubbleSheep
22nd January 2012, 15:34
It will be good for sky because theyll get great viewing figures from it but it might have a negative effect on attendances at live games.
It certainly would on fans who don't live in St Helens. I rely on having a free friday afternoon to get the train home, but certainly couldn't do it on a Monday.

somerset-saint
22nd January 2012, 15:42
It certainly would on fans who don't live in St Helens. I rely on having a free friday afternoon to get the train home, but certainly couldn't do it on a Monday.

I have bought a five year season ticket based on weekend games only. I am quite lucky as I can work one hour extra a day on the week of a home game, then finish work at 10am on friday and head straight upto st helens. I could not do that on a monday night as I would have to be back at work at 6am the next day, and the earliest I could get home from a monday night game would be around 03:30am

Reacher
22nd January 2012, 15:45
Divided out against all the teams though, it may only be a max of 2 games and if 1 was away, then people may not have gone no matter what the day was.

It's not like they have announced all our home games have moved is it?

TW2 Saint
22nd January 2012, 15:49
So you are a loyal fan who commits money to the team you love and plan 5 years of your life to watch them. And Sky care because.....? Unfortunately, they don't give a Donald Duck about your types - they will do whatever they want to satisfy their end game. Sad but true and a reflection of the times in which we live.

Dynamite Don Brennan
22nd January 2012, 15:49
Divided out against all the teams though, it may only be a max of 2 games and if 1 was away, then people may not have gone no matter what the day was.

Bit too level headed that reply.

Village Saint
22nd January 2012, 15:53
It's a tricky one, as I would love to have some a rugby to watch on tv on a Monday night and it would increase coverage of our sport if we could have 3 live games a week....but....it would be very hard for me to go any games on a Monday night especially those that are away so I'm guessing attendance figures would be slashed by at least 50%!!

Makes me wonder why sky didn't just buy the championship tv rights and put a game of Championship rugby on on a Monday night as it would have very healthy viewing figures I'm guessing?

The Wee Waa Womble
22nd January 2012, 16:00
From sky's points of view it's a great move that will get a lot of viewers and fill empty space once the footy finishes. From a fans point of view it's a nightmare but why would sky give a shit about the fans when there's something in it for them?

Reacher
22nd January 2012, 16:01
The RFL can come up with some daft ideas at times admittedly but this to be fair is not one of them. Yet again though, we moan before considering the benefits.

It's why we will always be a minority sport.

jonnythesaint
22nd January 2012, 16:27
BAck in the day, I used to enjoy midweek games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall us playing a couple of Monday night games in the first season of Superleague.

Gray77
22nd January 2012, 16:38
As far as I can see this won't be an extra game per week but just moving the odd Saturday game to a Monday night whilst Sky have other stuff on over the Summer months like Test cricket. I think if Sky use their common sense and stick with local games then it could work out, give the game some good ratings and if it's merely done in the Summer months when the sun is up until 9-10pm then it may end up being something that doesn't stop too many from going to the games. Also, it may allow Sky a bit longer to go through the weekend games and it may end up being a must-watch show if all the highlights of the weekend are shown with proper analysis.

This is me being positive about the idea, but I still worry that if the ratings are good and Sky go with the bottom line then we'll end up with Hull v Wigan, Saints v Hull KR on a Monday which will massively effect away fans chances of getting to the games. But keep the games local and it will work as the crowds are crap for Sat night games and so the difference between that and Mon night games won't be that great, the game will get good coverage against not much competition and if it does have too much effect on crowds it'll only be for 2-3 months in between football seasons anyway.

somerset-saint
22nd January 2012, 16:39

2 games is 2 games out of 13.... thats nearly 18% of my season ticket.... and its more than likely to be one of the bigger games too....

Gray77
22nd January 2012, 16:45
2 games is 2 games out of 13.... thats nearly 18% of my season ticket.... and its more than likely to be one of the bigger games too....

I'm in the same boat, Monday night games are impossible for me as well, but we are slightly pampered in terms of when games are played when you compare RL with games like football. Also, we play games on TV when only committed RL fans really want to watch the game and Friday and Saturday nights don't really encourage floating fans to watch the game. Monday nights are quiet nights, people are generally in the house and it may well be that a lot more people watch the game and are introduced to it as a result.

paulscnthorpe
22nd January 2012, 16:49

I read it as one of which away. So one home game

paulscnthorpe
22nd January 2012, 16:57
My initial thoughts are it may work. I think there's a not in my yard mentality about it. Personally I wish every game was on sky a different night of the weekend, as long as Saints were on the Friday night!

It certainly has a better chance of picking up a floating audience on tv. Friday and Saturday nights means competition with 'regular' tv which is generally speaking when 'more popular' tv programmes are on. Strictly, etc etc

Saintokell1974
22nd January 2012, 16:59
I'm in the same boat, Monday night games are impossible for me as well, but we are slightly pampered in terms of when games are played when you compare RL with games like football. Also, we play games on TV when only committed RL fans really want to watch the game and Friday and Saturday nights don't really encourage floating fans to watch the game. Monday nights are quiet nights, people are generally in the house and it may well be that a lot more people watch the game and are introduced to it as a result.

I can see pros and cons, but being selfish- I have three kids- 1 that doesn't live with me but is with me for weekends, who really shouldn't be up on a school night until 11 o'clock by the time I get home (nearer 12 if its a big game and trying to exit a car park?) and then tired for school the next day.

Whilst I am all for spreading our beautiful game (Stobarts are supposed to be putting adverts on then trucks?) then aren't we again alienating kids who already love our game? I bought my season ticket off the back of how these games are- mainly fridays at home, and again we always change the rules. Love the game, hate the way we let other people spoil it for the fans already watching?

somerset-saint
22nd January 2012, 17:05

maybe a lot of fans who would normally attend a game would now choose to stay at home and watch it on TV..... especially people who enjoy rugby for the whole experience, i.e. a few beers in town before and after the match..... who wants a night out on a monday ???

Reacher
22nd January 2012, 17:07
Yes but we are talking about potentially 1 home game out of 13. Is that so bad?

There will be those weekend workers who can't get time off for whatever reason, who would be able to go on a Monday.

Swings and roundabouts

Back Row Singer
22nd January 2012, 17:12

No, I agree.

I think they should give it a go, jazz it up like the NRL does 'monday night footy'.

If it starts failing, no harm done. Scrap it.

Also, its something to watch on a monday night. :wink:

Gray77
22nd January 2012, 17:26

There will be those weekend workers who can't get time off for whatever reason, who would be able to go on a Monday.

Swings and roundabouts

Exactly mate, and some people have family commitments that keep them from going to games at weekends. There are stupid ways of trying to spread the game, and they've been tried, namely expansion into areas with no interest in the game, and then there are logical ways of spreading it by making the game the No.1 sports story on a night when nothing else is happening. People will watch the games in higher numbers because it will the only game that night. How many bigger games do we miss due to being at a Saints game at the same time? Make it an occasion, have proper highlights of the weekends games etc and it'll be worthwhile IMO.

Saintsuzi
22nd January 2012, 17:32
I have bought a five year season ticket based on weekend games only. I am quite lucky as I can work one hour extra a day on the week of a home game, then finish work at 10am on friday and head straight upto st helens. I could not do that on a monday night as I would have to be back at work at 6am the next day, and the earliest I could get home from a monday night game would be around 03:30am

Flippin' 'eck, thought I had a long journey to games from Wirral, but hats off to you.
If they do try this out hopefully it's during school hols - my boys will have school the next day.

Harri81
22nd January 2012, 18:29
BAck in the day, I used to enjoy midweek games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall us playing a couple of Monday night games in the first season of Superleague.

I can't recall any Monday night fixtures in 1996 except maybe Eater/August bank hols, we did play a few Sunday night fixtures with kick offs of 18:05 or 18:30 and I quite enjoyed those.

The only midweek fixtures I recall in the last 20yrs have been challenge cup replays and a match against the Aussies 93/94 season.

I really can't see how a Monday night match will be a good thing for attendances.

KentishBarry
22nd January 2012, 18:45
I need to take Fridays off for Friday night games. I'd need both Monday and Tuesday off for Monday night games.
I'd do it, but I'd rather not!

Village Saint
22nd January 2012, 19:12
I need to take Fridays off for Friday night games. I'd need both Monday and Tuesday off for Monday night games.
I'd do it, but I'd rather not!

Legend!

Lex
22nd January 2012, 19:20
I think it could work. However, the people who it will affect the most are the young children, especially during school term. Parents may not want them out after 10.00pm on school nights. The RFL keep stressing how important they are for the future of the game, but this could have a negative effect on attendance at matches by them. After all, someone once said that the children are the future.

Saint Ged
22nd January 2012, 19:23
When have Sky ever bothered about supporters ?, i can just hear miky and grif and the gang now saying what a good idea.

KentishBarry
22nd January 2012, 19:42
Legend!

Not really. I'm just fortunate that I can work flexi-time and no longer need to worry about kids.
It's obviously a problem for one or two on here though, although it might suit others better.
Either way, it probably wouldn't be more than a game or two that's changed if it happens.

cement city saint
22nd January 2012, 20:08
Not a lover of the idea of monday night games, just to suit Sky even if they are the pay masters of our sport, causes difficulty with work for me, imagine Hull away monday night, day off work monday and landing back home 1-30 am and into work tuesday. then the players will complain if have a game the following friday. Thats just my view on the subject :confused:

Saintokell1974
22nd January 2012, 20:11

Swings and roundabouts

Unselfish side also says it may not even be that when you think it only starts in May and will probably end in August for Footie to take priority again-it's only like everything else the RFL do in that respect it seems halfhearted again? Fortunately as we are Saints, and also because hopefully we can return to play flowing rugby again this year, I can see us being on as an away side quite a lot, just like Whinos, Dire and Goons- benefits people with Sky, can go pub rather than trek to away games-poor in quite a few ways for each club,especially if these fixtures don't add to the coffers?

Bobbyrlfc
22nd January 2012, 20:51
I think it could be very successful, I think they need to trial it reasonably however, I think the Bradford Vs. Cas game is a good idea, just 20miles between each stadium it's a 30 minute drive for travelling fans, so yes see how that goes, i think it'd be daft choosing a Hull Team Or a Catalans/London game atm, because Hull is a long enough way as it is, and the other two don't have huge attendances.
So yes, not a bad idea, gives sport fans who don't go out on Mondays, who want something to watch when the football seasons, not on, and bring 100 fans in because they saw Saints on the tele, is all it takes! Get the people watching our fantastic sport!

Albion
22nd January 2012, 20:57
Monday night is ideal to catch the 'floating fan' so to speak with little competition that a weekend match brings.

I think it's a great idea and concept, but one that 'the fan' would not take kindly to.

RV12
22nd January 2012, 20:57
If this is just for the football off-season it will last for about 8 rounds. So it shouldn't affect more than two matches per team, if scheduled correctly. It would be nice for a consultation on the idea for the fans, but that would never happen. The negative is the inconvinencing of fans and possible reduction in attendances. But if this was an football off season version of Monday Night Football, it represents a big push from Sky to Super league during the football off season, which could be a positive.

Jonny
22nd January 2012, 21:53
If brought in, Sky effectively can't lose with this. If the paying spectators didn't want to go to games on a Monday night, a high percentage of them would instead watch the game on Sky. The only losers would be the clubs.

RedVee Admin
22nd January 2012, 22:05
I think the Bradford Vs. Cas game is a good idea

That monday is a bank holiday - diamond jubilee

Saint Simon
22nd January 2012, 22:06
some people are astounding, we moan that RL isnt on tv enough and then moan when its on more!

Monday night games on TV will be a big success IMO

oldun
22nd January 2012, 22:21
maybe a lot of fans who would normally attend a game would now choose to stay at home and watch it on TV..... especially people who enjoy rugby for the whole experience, i.e. a few beers in town before and after the match..... who wants a night out on a monday ???Me I am game for a night out anytime

RV12
22nd January 2012, 23:10
some people are astounding, we moan that RL isnt on tv enough and then moan when its on more!

Monday night games on TV will be a big success IMO

I think that the possible Monday night game would replace the Saturday match, as opposed to an additional match.

Gray77
22nd January 2012, 23:10
The bigger Friday night games get about 250,000-300,000 viewers on Sky, which when you factor in those fans at other games on the same night not able to tune in, the fact that floating fans are down the pub or out doing other things, etc you could make the argument that an unopposed Monday night game could conceivably push 400,000 or maybe even half a million people if stuck on Sky Sports 1 and advertised properly. Forget all the stuff about Sky messing us about, it's a fact that they care more about their ratings than the match going fan, we all know that, but look at the bigger picture here...

Can we as a sport turn down the opportunity for potentially half a million people to be watching our game? And if we can does that mean we have no ambition to ever grow into what we all think the sport deserves to be on a national scale. There is only one way we'll ever get the recognition we feel we deserve, and it's people being aware of us and watching us, and this gives us a great chance to do so.

jefmeister2004
23rd January 2012, 00:37
is a good move for sky,they paid their dues, they're looking at maximising them - fri nites people busy with other stuff, sat nites competing with peak xfactor/dancing boll0x. Look at soccer, swallowed the bullet yonx back.

Talk some sense!
23rd January 2012, 11:29
I can see this working and working very well to be honest, as mentioned already it would require common sense from the powers that be and local fixtures be played but the potential in terms of attracting new fans is high. If it was a MNF style show then they'd hopefully get some proper insight into the game for the analysis of weekend fixtures, a current player and ex coach to maybe work alongside a more established sky sports anchor - leave the commentating to Eddie & Stevo but get a new team involved. Whilst Eddie & Stevo are clearly passionate about the game they for me aren't the face we want presenting. if we weren't involved then i'd have Wilkin involved in some capacity as he's media savy and would offer some decent insight.

Lots of potential for this in my opinion.

Albion
23rd January 2012, 12:23
I can see this working and working very well to be honest, as mentioned already it would require common sense from the powers that be and local fixtures be played but the potential in terms of attracting new fans is high. If it was a MNF style show then they'd hopefully get some proper insight into the game for the analysis of weekend fixtures, a current player and ex coach to maybe work alongside a more established sky sports anchor - leave the commentating to Eddie & Stevo but get a new team involved. Whilst Eddie & Stevo are clearly passionate about the game they for me aren't the face we want presenting. if we weren't involved then i'd have Wilkin involved in some capacity as he's media savy and would offer some decent insight.

Lots of potential for this in my opinion.

Agreed.

As I mentioned above, the MNF concept now is brilliant. I hope we could have something similar.

headtackle
23rd January 2012, 12:54
Surprised it hasnt been done before. Works in a number of other sports and Monday a blank day for Sky in the summer months

Will be an inconvenience for some obviously but hopefully will get plenty of notice and a chance to rearrange things round it.

On the positive might help the club get more corporate revenue. From my experience a lot easier to get guests to go to things on a work night Mon-Thur than when eat into their weekends

As referred to above there used to be regular Wednesday night games and we all seemed to manage then

Noel Cleal
23rd January 2012, 13:05
Monday night rugby is something I have been calling for, for a while.

I like having my weekends available to do other things, for example, nothing ruins a weekend more than a trip to Humberside. Friday night rugby is better but I have missed a few nights out due to it. Plus they are as hard to make as Mondays.

Mondays evening tend to be right offs anyway, a bit of rugby would improve them a lot.

The Chief
23rd January 2012, 13:37
Now that they have lost the NL games to Premier Sports, if that means Fri/Sat/Mon Sky games every week, Im all for it. The more RL on TV the better.

Wallasey Saint
23rd January 2012, 14:06
I've got mixed feelings on Monday Night games, fortunately i'm in a position where i can get to home games regardless what day there played, but i can see that others might not be in a position to do so. I do think it will affect the attendances because fans might n ot be able to get to the game.

I would prefer a Sunday afternoon either 1-2pm ko or 5pm ko for live TV games, in the early days of SL there were live games on Sunday Evenings.

OsborneSaint
23rd January 2012, 16:46
Have I missed something here. But I haven't seen any evidence or link to say that this is even happening or scheduled?

TW2 Saint
23rd January 2012, 20:36
It was in the Sun - and this same topic is being openly debated on other RL fans forums. The Sun was the first paper to announce the Manchester Magic weekend which suggests that they might know something.

DD
23rd January 2012, 21:15
Assuming that most people who are inconvenienced by this are Monday to Friday workers then how is it any more of a problem than a Friday game?

In practice, 95% of our home games are played on the evening of a traditional working day. I could understand the beef if we were a Sunday afternoon fixtures club.

grahamk
23rd January 2012, 21:17
I've got mixed feelings on Monday Night games, fortunately i'm in a position where i can get to home games regardless what day there played, but i can see that others might not be in a position to do so. I do think it will affect the attendances because fans might n ot be able to get to the game.

I would prefer a Sunday afternoon either 1-2pm ko or 5pm ko for live TV games, in the early days of SL there were live games on Sunday Evenings.

Trouble is summer Sunday a/noons usually mean the garden or other things so maybe later on in the day may be better. TBH Im all for Monday nights, as already said, its a bit of a void so this would fill it.

DD
23rd January 2012, 21:21
That monday is a bank holiday - diamond jubilee

Which means that the end of May bank holiday is no longer a bank holiday; the weekend of Manchester Magic!

Oops!

Good old RFL! :)

Barney Rubble
23rd January 2012, 21:23
Assuming that most people who are inconvenienced by this are Monday to Friday workers then how is it any more of a problem than a Friday game?

In practice, 95% of our home games are played on the evening of a traditional working day. I could understand the beef if we were a Sunday afternoon fixtures club.

For me, Friday games are good for the end of week unwind - few pints before, few pints after the game - knowing you've got the weekend off.

This would mean no drinking cos its a school night ;)

Lex
23rd January 2012, 21:27

I see where you're coming from. But the day after a friday game, for most, is a day off, so time of getting home is not an issue. But tuesday's are a day of work, and a lot, not all the people granted, would like to be nicely tucked up in bed, and not travelling home from a game.

Talk some sense!
23rd January 2012, 21:30
Which means that the end of May bank holiday is no longer a bank holiday; the weekend of Manchester Magic!

Oops!

Good old RFL! :)

There's a bank holiday on 30th May - I presume thats the magic weekend?

Nope ignore that its's 2011 i looked at!

Laner
23rd January 2012, 22:26
Rugby League fans do my head in. We want more recognition for our sport and yet when SKY give us a platform, everybody moans. Some of the best games I remember watching as a kid were the BBC 2 Floodlight games which were played on a Tuesday and Wednesday. We made the games in the 70's and you will make them now if you really want to go.

oldun
23rd January 2012, 22:41
Rugby League fans do my head in. We want more recognition for our sport and yet when SKY give us a platform, everybody moans. Some of the best games I remember watching as a kid were the BBC 2 Floodlight games which were played on a Tuesday and Wednesday. We made the games in the 70's and you will make them now if you really want to go.Yes I made the floodlit games in the 70s used to work12hrs then go straight to the match calling for a bag of chips on the way to KR

The Verminator
24th January 2012, 12:44
If this is done logically I think this could be a very good idea and should certainly garner a fair bit of exposure for the sport. It does have to be done rightly though:

- More notice than usual for the switch to Monday games, not two weeks as has been known before.
- Only local games such as Saints vs. Widnes or Wakefield vs. Castleford etc etc. (won't help all fans I know)
- An hour long discussion programme such as what "MNF" gets.

It would be interesting to see if it did have an impact on attendance figures. This isn't some crack pot scheme like the club call, this definitely merits some discussion.

KentishBarry
24th January 2012, 12:59
Yes I made the floodlit games in the 70s used to work12hrs then go straight to the match calling for a bag of chips on the way to KR

You were lucky!
I used to work 19 hrs, then go straight t'match calling for a bag o'nails on the way... ;)

Div
24th January 2012, 13:34
Lets face it anything Sky TV does is for their benefit and not for RL.

Monday nights may be great for those sat at home watching on TV but not so great for the attending supporter. The obvious issues would be getting home late and having to go to work the next day and for those who take their kids you would expect it to be a total non starter with school the next morning.

I think if they decide to go with it they will select any fixture they fancy and wont just select local derbies - moreover Im not sure the clubs would want their local derbies on a Monday night as it would be a disaster at the gate.

Look at football now its played 7 days a week and its certainly not for the benefit of the paying public and it certainly isnt derbies !

People have signed up for 5 year season tickets at Saints planning for games on Fridays and Saturdays and then the goalposts move again.

I too remember the BBC Floodlit trophy and I used to go and the crowds were probably around the 4000 mark and only the second half was televised !

Gray77
24th January 2012, 14:11
I was sure I remembered us playing Hull at home on a Thursday night during the 2006 season, they beat us 27-26. Had a look back and it indeed was played on a Thursday. We were the two top teams that season (ended up finishing 1st and 2nd, met in the GF) but the crowd was only 9907 when surely a Friday night game would have pulled in 12-13k. No doubt crowds would be affected by Monday night games, but I still think the publicity to the sport may be worth it if it's just for 7-8 weeks.

Harri81
24th January 2012, 14:29
Rugby League fans do my head in. We want more recognition for our sport and yet when SKY give us a platform, everybody moans. Some of the best games I remember watching as a kid were the BBC 2 Floodlight games which were played on a Tuesday and Wednesday. We made the games in the 70's and you will make them now if you really want to go.

Very true, but itll be the die hard fans who can make the matches that will attend. The game is in a period of trying to draw new fans, bigger crowds and better sponsors. I personally think monday night games will see a drop in attendances and a rise in Sky viewing figures. Im willing to go to Monday night matches but getting to places such as Hull on a monday night would be too difficult with work and i expect it will be the same for others.

Surely whats best for the game has to be the best thing overal and i dont think sky brings that at times, Football rules the roost and subsequently Rugby is looked to fit in and fill gaps.

BubbleSheep
24th January 2012, 14:38

Due to the fact that the next day isn't a working day? Friday night game means I've got the weekend to travel back. Monday night game means I'd either have to get back at around 12am, or miss the first half of the next working day.

Harri81
24th January 2012, 14:44
Does anyone know why Sunday night matches stopped?

KentishBarry
24th January 2012, 14:59
Does anyone know why Sunday night matches stopped?

Not sure if it's linked to Saints moving to the regular Friday night slot a few years back. TBH, I don't recall Sunday night matches, but I do remember when Sunday games started!
The little team sheet that was your ticket (to get round Sunday trading laws I think), and the guy with the 'Sins finding you out' banner, protesting outside the ground.

Geoggy
24th January 2012, 14:59

Same argument you used for cladding. You were sold a ticket based on an end product that isn't there yet.

I live in London and I bought my ticket based on Friday or Saturday games. I can only get to 7 - that's my problem, but this would reduce that further.

On the whole might be good for the game - i just wouldn't renew my season ticket, if it means I can get to less than 50% of games.

Harri81
24th January 2012, 15:03
Not sure if it's linked to Saints moving to the regular Fiday night slot a few years back. TBH, I don't recall Sunday night matches, but I do remember when Sunday games started!
The little team sheet that was your ticket (to get round Sunday trading laws I think), and the guy with the 'Sins finding you out' banner, protesting outside the ground.

Its was mainly 96 and 97 sunday night games used to kick off for sky coverage around 18:05 - 18:15, saints played bradford away live on sky the week after the 1997 challenge cup final and got beat something like 56-22. Id be amazed if sky figures are higher for a fri night match than they where for sunday night game

paulscnthorpe
24th January 2012, 15:14
The move two Friday was for two reasons;

The fact that a large percentage of our games were being moved to Fridays anyway.

The corporate support much prefers Fridays to Sundays

KentishBarry
24th January 2012, 15:22
Its was mainly 96 and 97 sunday night games used to kick off for sky coverage around 18:05 - 18:15, saints played bradford away live on sky the week after the 1997 challenge cup final and got beat something like 56-22. Id be amazed if sky figures are higher for a fri night match than they where for sunday night game

It was all a blur Your Honour!

Lygase
24th January 2012, 17:09
i'd have thought it might be the lower leagues tbh, not super league

OsborneSaint
24th January 2012, 17:21
With people talking about viewing figures for Friday games and the potential move to a Monday night, I took a quick look at BARB for the viewing figures for the grand final last year. I can't believe Notts county v hartlepool got more viewers than our yearly prestigious event. (figures in 000's)

1 MONTENEGRO V ENGLAND (FRI 1930) 1,715
2 NOTTS COUNTY V HARTLEPOOL (SUN 1615) 419
3 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (SUN 1900) 406
4 LIVE SUPER LEAGUE GRAND FINAL (SAT 1703) 319
5 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (THU 1900) 244
6 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (TUE 1900) 201
7 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (WED 1900) 179
8 TAKE IT LIKE A FAN (SUN 1831) 176
9 SKY SPORTS NEWS AT SEVEN (FRI 1900) 160
10 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (MON 1900) 147

wabo
24th January 2012, 18:23
Im all for it.

I work Sundays so cant make Sunday games, Mondays wouldnt pose a problem for attending.

Plus in the Premier League off season, what is there to watch on a Monday night on Sky? Massive opportunity to gain more casual/arm chair fans from outside the heartlands.

Gray77
24th January 2012, 18:25
With people talking about viewing figures for Friday games and the potential move to a Monday night, I took a quick look at BARB for the viewing figures for the grand final last year. I can't believe Notts county v hartlepool got more viewers than our yearly prestigious event. (figures in 000's)

1 MONTENEGRO V ENGLAND (FRI 1930) 1,715
2 NOTTS COUNTY V HARTLEPOOL (SUN 1615) 419
3 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (SUN 1900) 406
4 LIVE SUPER LEAGUE GRAND FINAL (SAT 1703) 319
5 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (THU 1900) 244
6 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (TUE 1900) 201
7 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (WED 1900) 179
8 TAKE IT LIKE A FAN (SUN 1831) 176
9 SKY SPORTS NEWS AT SEVEN (FRI 1900) 160
10 LIVE WORLD GRAND PRIX DARTS (MON 1900) 147

Add in the 75,000 who were at the game, the thousands of others who would have watched but were at a football game that afternoon, the thousands of potential Union fans who may have watched but were saturated with World Cup games at daft o'clock at that time and we have a potential audience there of maybe half a million who would watch the games on a Monday night. Sky will screw us whatever happens so we may as well try and get some new fans interested in the game whilst they do it.

Harri81
24th January 2012, 18:40
Im all for it.

I work Sundays so cant make Sunday games, Mondays wouldnt pose a problem for attending.

Plus in the Premier League off season, what is there to watch on a Monday night on Sky? Massive opportunity to gain more casual/arm chair fans from outside the heartlands.

The key words are premier league off season, what happens when the season re starts? Super league is booted back to Fridays? Saturday? Or another day to fill a sky time slot?

Lex
24th January 2012, 19:12
The key words are premier league off season, what happens when the season re starts? Super league is booted back to Fridays? Saturday? Or another day to fill a sky time slot?

To be honest, that is exactly how I've read it.