PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Foster is more than just a kicker

The Gleverend
21st January 2012, 00:54
After watchin Blackbrook over the years and seeing JF kick goals to win games I always thought we had a guy who could finish in the last third of the field and kick but without the pace of QUIRK OR sULLIVAN, HUNTE etc. After watching tonights pertformance I see we have winger/centre who can run and create a space on the left for a try opportunity. For all those (me included) who thought JF was just there for for his kicking needs to look at his positional play and see that he might not been played as a centre/three quarter for his flight of foot but his ability to step and drive is something to marvel at. Jamie Foster might not have the footwork of a Gleeson of a Newlove but his defensive work and size may make him a strong 3/4 5/8 for a saints side who are going to score fast tries down the flanks. Lance got MOM tonight but for me JF kept it safe tonight tackling everything that moved,

Windle Lad
21st January 2012, 01:02
Behave Jamie - stop messing with us.

The Gleverend
21st January 2012, 01:09
Watch him next match. I bet he makes more yards than Meli n makes more tackles. If I'm wrong then I'll buy u a pint

Saddened!
21st January 2012, 01:20
Watching him tonight he looks a good stone heavier than the sparrow he was when he made his debut. His work with the ball was very good tonight I thought, certainly a lot better than Gardner or Wheeler out wide.

I think he might make a really good centre. He's not quick enough to be anything other than a good finisher in attack, much like Ade Gardner.

He needs to wake up though. He is quickly becoming a liability with his inability to deal with kicks. High kicks he usually does well with, those he missed tonight were just taken away from him by the wind. But the grubbers just need concentration to deal with, he's flapping at too many and costing us tries.

The whole of our left hand side was poor defensively tonight. Having Foster, Meli and Hohaia defending the same side of the pitch isn't very smart.

bazerthesaint
21st January 2012, 20:25
Could not disagree more, he is terrible in defence. Half of Saints pack would beat him in a foot race, hell maybe I could.

Dynamite Don Brennan
21st January 2012, 20:36
Could not disagree more, he is terrible in defence. Half of Saints pack would beat him in a foot race, hell maybe I could.

Now thats just stupid.

stoneislander
21st January 2012, 20:45
for me foster is nothing more than a solid player who can kick goals , wont get anywere near the international set up and as a winger not in the same league as hall,briscoe or charnley

Jamie's Boots
21st January 2012, 20:50
Foster made the highest number of clean breaks during 2011 so presumably he is more than just a kicker. He's also quite nippy. I don't know where this idea has come from that he is slow. He also perked up his defence at one point last night, just after he'd called to catch a bomb (which he duly caught). I think Foster is hindered by Meli a lot of the time.

Jase
21st January 2012, 23:35
Foster made the highest number of clean breaks during 2011 so presumably he is more than just a kicker. He's also quite nippy. I don't know where this idea has come from that he is slow. He also perked up his defence at one point last night, just after he'd called to catch a bomb (which he duly caught). I think Foster is hindered by Meli a lot of the time.

that is very very true... meli hinders every1 on the pitch..... don't get me wrong he is playing better now in the center than he ever has out wide... but the man is still a f'ing liabilty

saint mac
21st January 2012, 23:54
He as 2 years to prove me wrong.I think he is a very average winger............But a fabulous goal kicker.If we get a good goal kicker come through from some where he won't be worth his place and will go elsewhere.Salford,Cas Widnes ect.

johnnyl
22nd January 2012, 09:16
Foster made the highest number of clean breaks during 2011 so presumably he is more than just a kicker. .

If he has made many more clean breaks than his team mates but his meters arent that spectacular then surely this shows that he isnt getting very far per break. Ie, he isnt that fast or elusive? For instance if you look at the leagues top clean breaks (aside from Tompkins who is a freak) you have Richards, Tom Briscoe and Foster who have made the same amount of breaks yet those two have 2700 - 3000 meters gained to Fosters 1700. There is more to look at than just clean breaks...
FWIW, I dont bag the guy. He is a young player worth seeing how he develops but there will come a point where he wants more cash than he is worth based on current ability.