PDA

View Full Version : Post-match drinkies?

ancienthippy
18th January 2012, 15:04
Try the Rendezvous Bar in Church Street. Cheap ale, free hot food and a rock band!

The Hoss
18th January 2012, 15:17
The George... The new fortress before RL action

Dave01
18th January 2012, 15:33
I was more inclined to go the Glasshouse (weatherspoons), burger & a beer before matches!!

Talk some sense!
18th January 2012, 15:45
Shocker - someone opens a thread on redvee about where to drink before and after a match and instantly someone says The George. Well at least now its been mentioned, the thread is less likely to get removed.

Just out of interest what's your problem with people suggesting the George? It's a rugby league pub that does a lot for fans and is run by somebody who often goes out of his way to assist fans - it's not unrealistic to expect people to suggest going there is it?

Gruntfuttock
18th January 2012, 16:12
Also Burgers and Hotdogs , only £1 pre match , with a selection of German bottled Beers , and Yes I do go in the George and happily mention them when asked about a good pub to drink in pre and post match , and all of the people who went in after the open training session where impressed and will happily come back again

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthread.php?20467-Widnes-Match-Post-Game-Showing

Talk some sense!
18th January 2012, 16:20
No problems.

None whatsoever.

Brilliant, good on them all.

Fortunately, I know better.

I'm all for differing opinions and points of view but when you put them across as childishly as you have done then you're going to get nowhere with them.

If you believe there to be a reason not to go then instead of nudges and winks why not explain what you're going on about?

The Hoss
18th January 2012, 16:26
I'm all for differing opinions and points of view but when you put them across as childishly as you have done then you're going to get nowhere with them.

If you believe there to be a reason not to go then instead of nudges and winks why not explain what you're going on about?

Well said that man!

Dave01
18th January 2012, 16:29
Or the Running Horses, or the Counting House, or buy four cans of Fosters from Tesco and sit on wet grass. Or not drink at all.

It was just a suggestion on my part not an attack so jump back in your box.

Think i my drink at the raven instead!!! :rolleyes:

Dave01
18th January 2012, 16:30
Well said that man!

Agreed!!!

Div
18th January 2012, 17:58
There are any number of bars , take your choice if you dont like one dont go in simple as that really, stop griping !!

DD
18th January 2012, 18:32
Anyone giving the Founders Bar at the ground a whirl then?

rally
18th January 2012, 19:00
Im going to have a few scoops at the ground before the game.

scousedave
18th January 2012, 19:32
Also Burgers and Hotdogs , only £1 pre match , with a selection of German bottled Beers , and Yes I do go in the George and happily mention them when asked about a good pub to drink in pre and post match , and all of the people who went in after the open training session where impressed and will happily come back again

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthread.php?20467-Widnes-Match-Post-Game-Showingdo they do warstiener?

doghead
18th January 2012, 19:33
town frier (sp) for a sit down chips fish and peas, glass house, after match is the Unison.

Gruntfuttock
18th January 2012, 20:23
do they do warstiener?

No idea mate I dont actually drink but they do have a fine selection Im sure St Bert will be on this thread soon he could tell you

roy litherland
18th January 2012, 20:56
White horse benidorm = GUTTED.:mad:

Lex
18th January 2012, 21:12
Shocker - someone opens a thread on redvee about where to drink before and after a match and instantly someone says The George. Well at least now its been mentioned, the thread is less likely to get removed.

It's fine that you have an opinion, and you are entitled to it. Whatever your reasons against the George or people involved with it are, I can only speak highly of it, and Al. I have only been in twice, been treated very well on both occasions, and must say I'm looking forward to travelling to both London and France with them this season.
I just feel that as the original post was to ask where people would be going, or recommended to go for post match drinks, you have been a little harsh in your criticism of the George.

oldun
18th January 2012, 22:20
I shall be trying the Robinsons Bitter it is robinsons isn't it?

Div
18th January 2012, 22:25

Fancy it but can see it being rammed.

Geoggy
18th January 2012, 22:31

Will give it a go if I can get served and wee in a timely fashion on the 2 urinals they've installed in the loos !

HAVENSAINT
19th January 2012, 00:32
Turks head. If I get to Saint Helens early during match nights. :p

Talk some sense!
19th January 2012, 08:38
Fancy it but can see it being rammed.

This is probably why i'll avoid it tomorrow night, i'd really like to get in for one but can see it being a long wait for a drink!

I'll save that bar for another night

Saint Bert
19th January 2012, 11:12
I hope that everyone who comes to The George enjoys the pre and post match. Michelle has tried to keep her pub a Saints pub despite being a fair trek from KR for the last 7 years, hopefully now we are a lot closer we will see quite a few new faces and some old ones on match day.

At the end of the day everyone has a choice where to have there matchday meet ups, hiopefully through the already existing link with Saints plenty will give The George a try.

Without hi-jacking this thread as an advert, if anyone would like to know any info regarding the Bavarian Beers, Cask Ales, Food or post match vids that will be on offer they can drop me an PM and I will check with the Mrs and reply back.

Div
19th January 2012, 11:55
At the end of the day everyone has a choice where to have there matchday meet ups, hiopefully through the already existing link with Saints plenty will give The George a try.

There are a number of boozers in that area that have probably struggled for years. Im thinking of The George, Raven and possibly even The Alfred. Hopefully they will all receive a boost from the opening of Langree Park. A thriving and vibrant area in that area of town will surely benefit all concerned, especially if it establishes a matchday ' crawl'.

Talk some sense!
19th January 2012, 12:04
There are a number of boozers in that area that have probably struggled for years. Im thinking of The George, Raven and possibly even The Alfred. Hopefully they will all receive a boost from the opening of Langree Park. A thriving and vibrant area in that area of town will surely benefit all concerned, especially if it establishes a matchday ' crawl'.

It could very well be the shot in the arm that the town centre needs, it's at the very least a step in the right direction for the town

Wallasey Saint
19th January 2012, 12:08
I've only been The George once before the ST event & enjoyed having a pint there, & will be going there before Saints games. I know everyone is differen't & might prefer other pubs but theres no need for some of the petty comments slagging off Pubs just because you don't like drinking there.

I'll probably give the Bar at the Ground a try[no pun intended]once the novelty has worn off a bit, as i expect that to be heaving for the first few home games.

Two Wheeled Saint
19th January 2012, 12:16
I hope that everyone who comes to The George enjoys the pre and post match. Michelle has tried to keep her pub a Saints pub despite being a fair trek from KR for the last 7 years, hopefully now we are a lot closer we will see quite a few new faces and some old ones on match day.

At the end of the day everyone has a choice where to have there matchday meet ups, hopefully through the already existing link with Saints plenty will give The George a try.

Without hi-jacking this thread as an advert, if anyone would like to know any info regarding the Bavarian Beers, Cask Ales, Food or post match vids that will be on offer they can drop me an PM and I will check with the Mrs and reply back.
Good on you Al, will try to get down before the games with the wife and daughter, only coming from Sutton (father-in-laws).
COYS...

doghead
19th January 2012, 12:39
It could very well be the shot in the arm that the town centre needs, it's at the very least a step in the right direction for the town

something like a £3 million shot in the arm a year, if you believe all the bumf from the town hall presentations, (seems like 100 years ago now).

doghead
19th January 2012, 12:42

what's the lowdown we can go in the bar friendlies, league games, its restricted to the founder club members.

doghead
19th January 2012, 12:47
Some great boozers to choose from, having second thoughts on the glass house, it will be packed, try the Venue or the Running horses.

Sean Day
19th January 2012, 12:48

Definitely. There are going to be thousands of fans passing through or within touching distance for every home game. As a fan it adds a nice extra dimension to a match night with a pint or meal pre match and the chance for a couple after without any kind of effort needed and a reasonable amount of choice

Ell Saint Blues
19th January 2012, 12:48
what's the lowdown we can go in the bar friendlies, league games, its restricted to the founder club members.

I don't think it is restricted, read that somewhere, plus you're then limiting your customer base to 400 people (the founder members) who may or may not drink there before a game.

scousedave
19th January 2012, 12:54

Without hi-jacking this thread as an advert, if anyone would like to know any info regarding the Bavarian Beers, Cask Ales, Food or post match vids that will be on offer they can drop me an PM and I will check with the Mrs and reply back.never been in the george, but i havnt drunk in town for the last ten years, other than the curry house, but if you have warstiener in their, it will become my favourite watering hole before and after a game

Geoggy
19th January 2012, 13:11

no its not restricted whatsoever.

its simply called that because the plaque is in there

RedVee Admin
19th January 2012, 21:57
Not been out for YEARS so planning to start at The Sutton Arms, walk down to The Railway, across Donkey Common to The Alexandra, then down Ravenhead to Town, stopping at The Bridge Inn, then The Nelson and The Market.

After the match, before the walk home up Bess, it's The New Inn, The Griffin and finally a lock in with Jock at the Pig n Whistle.

Oh yes.

Sausalito
19th January 2012, 22:06
Not been out for YEARS so planning to start at The Sutton Arms, walk down to The Railway, across Donkey Common to The Alexandra, then down Ravenhead to Town, stopping at The Bridge Inn, then The Nelson and The Market. Over to the Stadium and then before the walk home up Bess it's a lock in with Jock at the Pig n Whistle.

Oh yes.

you wish and so do I lol

oldun
19th January 2012, 22:48
Just a quick question are the concourse bars serving Robonsons on draught or is it all bottles/cans

djgazza
19th January 2012, 22:52
Not been out for YEARS so planning to start at The Sutton Arms, walk down to The Railway, across Donkey Common to The Alexandra, then down Ravenhead to Town, stopping at The Bridge Inn, then The Nelson and The Market.

After the match, before the walk home up Bess, it's The New Inn, The Griffin and finally a lock in with Jock at the Pig n Whistle.

Oh yes.

You'll be the soberest person in Langtree Park lol

oldun
19th January 2012, 23:10
Just been on saints web site and I have the answer to my own question they are serving Robinsons on draught in all the bars