PDA

View Full Version : Union link with the new ground?

AitchDee
13th January 2012, 14:09
A question from a long-time supporter (since '45) about the new ground - it looks great from the photos and info I've seen. I have been exiled from the town for decades and rely on Redvee for much of the news.

In the planning of Langtree Park and its use, was any consideration given to the Moss lane club - now Liverpool / St. Helens - playing there? There are points to be made for and against, but from my perspective, on balance I would be in favour. I don't recall seeing the matter being referred to in the inevitably limited amount I read, but presumably people nearer the action will tell me about it.

RedVee Admin
13th January 2012, 14:17
"was any consideration given to the Moss lane club"

No.

In one word.

RonSaintWiggin
13th January 2012, 14:20
"was any consideration given to the moss lane club"

no.

In one word. good coys!!!!

KentishBarry
13th January 2012, 14:27
I would imagine that future consideration would be given to any union game being played at LP if the timing and price was right!

RedVee Admin
13th January 2012, 14:28
Definitely - England Saxons would be a plum one to bag.

Sale Sharks was the only Onion team I saw mentioned, especially with Salford's ground being under the 15,000 minimum for the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup. Granted, Sale would have to get in the comp first before thinking about the KO stages. No references to LSH anywhere.

cjhatesunion
13th January 2012, 15:52
Keep the rah rahs away from our brand new stadium,only enough room for one code of rugby.

Bostik Bailey
13th January 2012, 17:29
Will our town's soccer pub team still be playing there?

Spider Ski
13th January 2012, 17:30
Money money money... Money.

Village Saint
13th January 2012, 18:35
Money money money... Money.

Spot on Ski, I personally would welcome a union team to play at LP and I despise union, but it would profit both Saints and rugby league as a whole which is good.
It would be a great if we could get an academy soccer ball side to use LP, any one know where Everton/Liverpool acadamies and ladies play?

Hopefully the board will use LP to its full potential and get as many events there as possible as its good for both Saints and St Helen's as a town!!!

Albion
13th January 2012, 19:17
Spot on Ski, I personally would welcome a union team to play at LP and I despise union, but it would profit both Saints and rugby league as a whole which is good.
It would be a great if we could get an academy soccer ball side to use LP, any one know where Everton/Liverpool acadamies and ladies play?

Hopefully the board will use LP to its full potential and get as many events there as possible as its good for both Saints and St Helen's as a town!!!

I'm sure Liverpool have used the HJ before?

Wikipedia says that Everton use Widnes

Sadfish
13th January 2012, 19:35
LSH shipped out of the Sporting CLub St Helens scenario quite some time ago and never really took to playing at KR never mind LP, there problem to LSH is they are well down the leagues for getting anything interesting enough to put on at LP.

As has been mentioned one off games for other clubs might be plausible, but if Widnes, Wire and Wigan aren't seeing any coming their way there is nothing for Union at LP really.

Union in the North of England is in dire straits with Newcastle's set to go down as long as they can be replaced, and Leeds in yoyo-ing mode for the past few seasons and Sale struggling to get back to their best and looking for a new home, forget it.........

RedVee Admin
14th January 2012, 01:10
Currently, it's Sale's best season since they were Champs, spending a lot of time in the top 4.

But their attendance figures leave a lot to be desired.

RedVee Admin
14th January 2012, 01:16
I'm sure Liverpool have used the HJ before?

Wikipedia says that Everton use Widnes

Liverpool have indeed used the HJ, also Knowsley Road (RIP). Also Southport, Crewe, Tranmere, they're very nomadic.

Everton have been at the Stobart for years but moved out due to the G4 pitch being laid. Whether that move was permanent (which I think I heard someone say) I can't confirm.

scousedave
14th January 2012, 09:13
Well, I for one would welcom anything to LP that brings in money to our club and increases the financial strength of the club as a whole. I am not a big fan of the other code but i wouldnt say no to a team in both codes challenging for cups under the name ST HELENS, if for nothing else than to **** off the other code ha ha

Paul Newlove
14th January 2012, 13:57
Well, I for one would welcom anything to LP that brings in money to our club and increases the financial strength of the club as a whole. I am not a big fan of the other code but i wouldnt say no to a team in both codes challenging for cups under the name ST HELENS, if for nothing else than to **** off the other code ha ha

I agree,I'm not a massive union fan by any means but I would probably watch a St Helens team in our off season to keep me going through the winter, but they'd have to be in at least the championship/2nd tier whatever it's called. St Helens Storm has a good ring to it plus it'd go well with the roof damage :wink:

tricia
14th January 2012, 16:04
I think St Helens town fc have a right to play at Langtree, I just wonder if they can afford to even steward it. They are likely to be even further down the football pyramid next season

maghullsaint
15th January 2012, 08:11
When the Pies get chucked out of the DW, perhaps we should offer them the chance to play at LP

Spider Ski
15th January 2012, 10:20
When the Pies get chucked out of the DW, perhaps we should offer them the chance to play at LP

The pies won't ever get thrown out of the DW.

RedVee Admin
15th January 2012, 11:00
I think St Helens town fc have a right to play at Langtree

From my understanding of the infamous clause in the Sporting Club St Helens venture and the acquisition of Hoghton Road, it's more along the lines of Saints have to make available to Town somewhere suitable for them to play, rather than Town have a definite right to play at Saints primary facility.

Or to put it another way: if Saints training facility at Cowley ticked all the requirements for the North West Counties league and Town requested LP, then Saints can say no, you can use Cowley.

But if anyone knows better, please tell, as the above is only what I understand to be accurate from the best of my knowledge.

Sausalito
15th January 2012, 11:35
Having looked at a couple of sites appertaining to St. HelensTown, it seems they will be playing at LP, next season.

RedVee Admin
15th January 2012, 12:06
But if they were to make Cowley up to North West Counties standard... ???

oldshep1960
15th January 2012, 13:18
as said earlier by ski, money, plain and simple. where there to be a union club of a more senior calibre than LSH wanting to play on our hallowed turf, will they give us the benefit of half price tickets? it is definately an oppurtunity to explore new talent from the other code who we may be able to poach (as they do with us) there is also the added bonus of the ground and Saints getting more free publicity. so for me yes i would welcome the rah rahs. Now we have it lets show it, 'pose' with it and of course exploit others who want to use it.

Bostik Bailey
15th January 2012, 19:07
I think St Helens town fc have a right to play at Langtree, I just wonder if they can afford to even steward it. They are likely to be even further down the football pyramid next season

I guess there would probably be more stewards than speccys.

On another point NW counties standards aren't much cowley could probably be brought up to standards houghton road wasn't even up to moss lane standards

Saintokell1974
15th January 2012, 20:26
The pies won't ever get thrown out of the DW.

Ski, do you know something Karren Brady doesn't???

RedVee Admin
16th January 2012, 01:56
It's called a 99 year lease.

Steve Johnson
16th January 2012, 12:33
I read a few weeks ago that no way was football being played at LP with reference to the park team St Helens Town as it was going to cost £5K just to open the ground, so for a team that virtually no one watches, it wouldnt make financial sense. Personally we dont want football on the LP pitch as it would ruin it. Just look at when it was at KR.

headtackle
16th January 2012, 13:00
Wouldnt let LSH anywhere near it after seeing how KR ended up when the Sporting Club St Helens initiative was underway

Would be happy to take anybodies money for big one off games of any code and Sale games must be a possibility if need more capacity for European ventures

One aim should be to make sure we get CC semi finals and perhaps the NL play off day off Wire

Re St Helens Town dont they owe us money and seem to remember some negative press about our charges at KR and attempts to collect it

Spider Ski
16th January 2012, 13:21
Ski, do you know something Karren Brady doesn't???

Yes. That her opinion isn't worth jack sh1t.

No rule the premiership puts in place could supersede any legally binding contract. The only people who would suffer would be Latics.

MachineGunFunk
16th January 2012, 13:44
I'm all for maximising income of LP but I really hate it when you get football/RU lines on the pitch and some half-arsed attempt has been made to remove them. The pitch looks great as it is now, marked out for a RL game, but if other sports get played too it will become a mess of criss-crossed white lines, for part of the year at least. Money talks though at the end of the day, I guess.

Saintokell1974
16th January 2012, 19:15
Yes. That her opinion isn't worth jack sh1t.
No rule the premiership puts in place could supersede any legally binding contract. The only people who would suffer would be Latics.

Totally agree with you too, last two clubs she helped run have gone downhill! Was sarcasm BTW mate