PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye to Oldham Roughyeds

RedVee Admin
11th January 2012, 22:30
Or more precisely bye bye to Oldham RLFC (1997) Ltd

And seeing as we've already said bye bye to Oldham RLFC once already, back in 1997, surely this is now the final end of the line for pro RL in Thowldum?

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/60027/notices/1509733/exact=football+club;atleast=NoticeCode:2410+Notice Code:2421+NoticeCode:2423+NoticeCode:2432+NoticeCo de:2442+NoticeCode:2450+NoticeCode:2451+NoticeCode :2455+NoticeCode:2461;sort=newest

Sausalito
11th January 2012, 22:38
I hope they don't go, it would be a sad day for R.L. I don't like seeing anyone leave the R.L.

Rogues Gallery
11th January 2012, 22:39

And seeing as we've already said bye bye to Oldham RLFC once already, back in 1997, surely this is now the final end of the line for pro RL in Thowldum?

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/60027/notices/1509733/exact=football+club;atleast=NoticeCode:2410+Notice Code:2421+NoticeCode:2423+NoticeCode:2432+NoticeCo de:2442+NoticeCode:2450+NoticeCode:2451+NoticeCode :2455+NoticeCode:2461;sort=newest

How sad if it happens.
The best British centre I have ever seen was Alan Davies from that club. In the late 50's and early 60's they were formidable. Look at the talent that town has produced, Scully x2, Barrie Mac, Harris,Ford x3, Sinfield, Kiss etc etc.

It's a very sad day for Rugby League if it is true.

Chris Saint
11th January 2012, 22:50

I wouldn't write them off just yet, since being with my fiance (3 years) they have had HMRC threats every year only to pay the bill when they absolutely have to - it is usually a result of Hamilton trying to be clever and delay the payment as he takes risks with the club, it is not their first winding up petition as Oldham 1997

They are still signing players for 2012 and Saints have also only just arranged an U-20 friendly against their first team on the 27th Jan, can't see why they would go through the motions of arranging it if they knew the worst was inevitably coming.

However, if they do survive it will only be till the next order, they will never recover to stability with Mark Benton's doppleganger in charge.

RedVee Admin
11th January 2012, 23:54
If only he could get some more "brand new customers" through the gates, then they may not be in the mire.

Half the trouble as I see it, is that a large chunk of the town does not have Rugby League as a part of their heritage or culture and the part of the town that does, has reduced in population in many ways. I know two Thowldummers who have moved to Tellins - I know more who have moved further out into Saddleworth - I know another three who support a Super League club over Roughyeds. In fact I'm surprised that your Maud still supports them considering the number of fans that shapped their barra when Mark Benton took over.

Saddened!
12th January 2012, 00:08
This is the future for all clubs outside Super League. The lack of a meaningful TV deal for the National League system and no real international setup pumping money into it, professionalism of any kind is unsustainable. The clubs are struggling on regardless, but if established clubs like Oldham and Leigh are crumbling, what chances do the other teams have?

What should happen is each NL side is formally adopted by a Super League parent. Those that don't have one can become firmly amateur and join an expanded Conference system. The feeder club system I propose would also be amateur, but with a lot of the first team being dual reg's from the SL parent which would keep the standards up. This is more or less how it is in Australia I guess with players not paid much more than expenses in the reserve grades over there.

bazdev
12th January 2012, 10:57
Outside of SuperLeague rugby league is dying a slow painful death. Teams like Featherstone need to get into Superleague asap or they will go the same way. I don't see their being lower divisions in the next 15-20 years, sad but true

KentishBarry
12th January 2012, 11:28
They can't all be in Superleague.

Do football still have 'Fans United'?
Would that sort of thing work in RL?

Sausalito
12th January 2012, 11:33
How sad if it happens.
The best British centre I have ever seen was Alan Davies from that club. In the late 50's and early 60's they were formidable. Look at the talent that town has produced, Scully x2, Barrie Mac, Harris,Ford x3, Sinfield, Kiss etc etc.

You mention Alan Davies (Oldham/Wigan/GB) one dirty bugger;), what would he have done to the bald eagle from Leeds?? lol

CHANNEL22
12th January 2012, 11:47
If clubs like Oldham, in a town that has produced so many good players, goes to the wall it is the beginning of the end for non SL Clubs. As someone said earlier they are all struggling.

I don't know the answer and it is sad, but we live in world where the gap between the "haves" and " have nots" gets wider every day.

It doesn't seem 5 minutes ago since they knocked Wigan out of the Cup in 1987 with a last minute try.

Kakariki
12th January 2012, 12:04
As has already been said, there are a hell of a lot Oldham-born players who have been recent Greats (Scully, McDermott, Harris, etc) as well as many who started off at Oldham (Martyn, Joynt,...). It would be nice if some of these could somehow become involved in the club or at least help in raising its profile in the town.

Saints were lucky that they were a strong club when Superleague began. Had that not been the case, I would like to think that past players and the local RL community would work hard to keep us going.

NortonSaint
12th January 2012, 12:59
Outside of SuperLeague rugby league is dying a slow painful death. Teams like Featherstone need to get into Superleague asap or they will go the same way. I don't see their being lower divisions in the next 15-20 years, sad but true
The average fan who supports a Superleague team couldn't give a toss about teams outside the Superleague, we're alright Jack pull the ladder up.
The RFL has abandoned the semi-pro game. Rugby League has now become exclusive instead of inclusive. If this continues eventually Superleague teams will drift into Professional Rugby Union and The Rugby Football League will become an amateur organisation.

KentishBarry
12th January 2012, 13:03
The average fan who supports a Superleague team couldn't give a toss about teams outside the Superleague, we're alright Jack pull the ladder up.

Maybe anyone who does care should 'adopt' a smaller team and turn up for the odd game or two?

Private Pyle
12th January 2012, 13:06
If this continues eventually Superleague teams will drift into Professional Rugby Union and The Rugby Football League will become an amateur organisation.

Utter tosh.

NortonSaint
12th January 2012, 13:10
Utter tosh.
It's happened before, how do think RL was born.

KentishBarry
12th January 2012, 13:16
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_rugby_league_clubs

Just for those of you blaming the current set up.

Jamie's Boots
12th January 2012, 15:52
Oldham had already paid off the outstanding tax (of just over £5000) but not in time to stop the notice being posted on the website.

stoneislander
12th January 2012, 16:54
How sad if it happens.

not forgetting paddy kirwan one of my all time favourite oldham players..............cant think why though !!

CHANNEL22
12th January 2012, 21:46
not forgetting paddy kirwan one of my all time favourite oldham players..............cant think why though !!

You don't need to be a member of MENSA to work that one out.

Div
12th January 2012, 22:27
No dream equals no interest all very sad. The people running this game will.be the death of it. Sickens me to the stomach.

tricia
12th January 2012, 22:32
The sad thing being Oldham Leigh and Workington all had a stab at Superleague and they averaged between two and four thousand. If you saw where Oldham play now it is so sad, think Houghton Road and you have gauged it right. The trouble is the gap between say Leigh Halifax and the rest at that level may become so wide, those two could look toward union, it would never surprise me to see Sale look at Leigh Sporting Village as a home.

Kakariki
13th January 2012, 11:04
The sad thing being Oldham Leigh and Workington all had a stab at Superleague and they averaged between two and four thousand. If you saw where Oldham play now it is so sad, think Houghton Road and you have gauged it right. The trouble is the gap between say Leigh Halifax and the rest at that level may become so wide, those two could look toward union, it would never surprise me to see Sale look at Leigh Sporting Village as a home.

Aren't Sale moving in with Salford?

RedVee Admin
13th January 2012, 11:27
Sale have toyed with the idea of using Salford City Stadium but they remain committed to Edgeley Park until the conclusion of this season.

Sale have considered using Leigh Sports Village to fulfil their European fixtures when weather conditions rule out Edgeley Park.

DD
13th January 2012, 20:20
No dream equals no interest all very sad. The people running this game will.be the death of it. Sickens me to the stomach.

Indeed.

The sad thing is that the Rugby League decided many years ago that the international game was significantly more important than the clubs and that was the beginning of the end.

The whole 'no relegation' issue came about to help clubs rid themselves of the fear of relegation, intensify the competition and build up an elite force of clubs that could eventually produce a level of rugby that challenges Australia. Like the play-offs, no P&R made the competition just like theirs and therefore it was only a matter of time before we matched them. The Australian coaches that came here told them that was the way forward and they believed them.

Trouble is when your sport only has three decent teams playing at international level anyway, it matters sweet FA to the game's profile whether we are first or third. The myth that a successful international team would make the sport in this country is just that, although we don't appear to be getting any nearer to the chance of proving it.

So we've cut off some of the heartland clubs, seen their gates reduce to 25% of what they were, or about 8% in Oldham's case and gradually strangled the life out of them one by one. Then we get 'expansion' clubs coming in, pulling in lesser crowds and generally going backwards after admission rather than forwards.

Because Super League crowds are high in the country then the RFL can feed the propaganda that all is well with the game. Truth is it is ill. Very ill! The clubs are dying and, as a result, the schools in those towns will no longer play the game in a few years and the talent coming through will diminish and diminish. Sadly, Wanderer is no longer with us to boost your morale with tales of tens of thousands of Londoners waiting to explode on the scene as the heartland of Rugby League completes the transition from Chapeltown Road to Whitechapel in the space of a few short years but, even more sadly, that's what the propaganda machine wants you to believe.

What is the long term future for Rugby League? I shudder to think because the RFL, I believe, have infected the game with a terminal disease.

geordie_saint
13th January 2012, 22:22
Oldham haven't folded. As someone has already mentioned on here, they paid the bill. See the website link and read the headlines.

http://www.roughyeds.co.uk/

They play Rochdale on Sunday.

Noel Cleal
15th January 2012, 20:51
Good to see they are doing be alright for now.

You do have to ask what the future is for part time rugby league in this country. Championship 1 especially does not seem sustainable. You have to ask what would be the difference if it did go amateur. Most of the clubs have facilities inferior to many national conference teams.

Removing the burden of player wages could help clubs at that level out.

Also no sport has automatic promotion and relegation between part time and full time. It was a failing system that killed off the original Oldham in 1997. To use this story as proof of the evils of licensing is ridiculous.

geordie_saint
15th January 2012, 23:45
Good to see they are doing be alright for now.

You do have to ask what the future is for part time rugby league in this country. Championship 1 especially does not seem sustainable. You have to ask what would be the difference if it did go amateur. Most of the clubs have facilities inferior to many national conference teams.

Removing the burden of player wages could help clubs at that level out.

Also no sport has automatic promotion and relegation between part time and full time. It was a failing system that killed off the original Oldham in 1997. To use this story as proof of the evils of licensing is ridiculous.

There are some clubs who are beginning to adapt and become very well run clubs; some of which some SL clubs could actual take note of. My 'local' club, South Wales Scorpions seem to be a well run club and aren't in debt. Rochdale Hornets are now run as co-operative since they had financial issues a couple of years and I believe are a very stable club. Featherstone Rovers are an extremely well run club. They've just spent £1.5m on improving their own ground, which is all paid for by all accounts and are the best side in the Championship. If they continue in this way, they'll be an absolute shoe-in for a licence in 2015 as the RFL stated another Championship club will gain a licence. They are currently the best run club in the Calder area; Castleford and Wakefield (who are improving under Glover) should take note!

The drama at the semi-professional level is clubs overspending on wages. There are a few clubs who are notorious for it and always hit financial trouble when funding drys up from local businessmen. They need to take note of clubs like Featherstone and South Wales in order to become better, sustainable clubs.

Gray77
16th January 2012, 01:10
Because Super League crowds are high in the country then the RFL can feed the propaganda that all is well with the game. Truth is it is ill. Very ill! The clubs are dying and, as a result, the schools in those towns will no longer play the game in a few years and the talent coming through will diminish and diminish.

This is the main propaganda point that the RFL have, but anyone who looks at the facts knows that RL in this country is propped up by cheap season ticket deals. Anytime the fan is asked to put their hands in their pockets for anything else we see crowds plummet, whether it be Cup games (even Semi's) or Play Off games.

You raise the main issue for me in terms of the towns where the game is dying not being breeding grounds for the future great players of the sport. Once you turn the tap off it can't be turned back on because the dominance of football in this country means that RL will be replaced in the heads and ambitions of youngsters, and once the local club collapses and the local schools stop bothering with RL the young potential future stars won't even give the game a seconds thought.

I respect the opinions of those who support the franchise idea and I understand the basic logic of the idea. But it has not worked IMO, and for every new fan we may have gained in Wales and London we have lost many more in our heartlands, and for every young kid who may have decided to give the game a go in Wales and London we have lost many more in the heartlands.

To just propel clubs into the top flight of any competition without them having to prove they are good enough on the field, and to deny other clubs the chance to rightfully take their place in the same competition by letting them get there by performances on the field is the complete antithesis of what professional sport should be about. Everything about modern professional RL seems to me about rewarding mediocrity and it is taking away the desire to actually go out on the park and prove who the best team is every week. When teams finish top of Super League and it means nothing, when teams finish bottom of Super League and it means nothing, when teams finish top of the Championship but it means nothing, this all leaves the spirit of competition meaning less and less each year.