PDA

View Full Version : Rugby League Computer Game (EA Sports)

complex.matt
5th January 2012, 18:28
As far as i can remember the only 3 rugby league computer games have been ,made by "tru blu" And they have all been shocking!

Why wont EA Sports create a Rugby League game along the same lines as FIFA12 with the controls and graphics. I play FIFA12 and the controls and responsiveness of the game is amazing! The 3 rugby league games i have played have been very wooly, the controls were not responsive, the graphics where just as bad.

I dont follow football but after playing on FIFA12 since christmas i can now understand the game, and name the full man city, man united, chelsea, tottenham, and liverpool squads.

Would making a really high quality Rugby League game get people more intrested in the game? Make youngsters understand the game and get to know the players better?

Spider Ski
5th January 2012, 18:37
No, a game would not make people interested in the sport.

EA won't waste time on something which has an appeal in a small portion of England and a side of Australia. There just isn't the financial justification. Exactly the same reason I have to get NCAA Football on the PS3 rather than xbox because there is no point making a PAL version of it.

rally
5th January 2012, 20:11
Tru Blu made rugby challenge and it's a really good game but it's a shame it's union. Don't think we'll see a league game for a long time and I can't see EA sports ever being interested

WidnesSaint
5th January 2012, 21:34
I gave up hope that EA Sports would make a RL game years ago!

Blue Harvest
5th January 2012, 23:11
EA did do a game, it was released in 1996, Shaun Edwards on the cover, for the PC.

There was also a PC game that was launched about the same time with a "SuperLeague" endorsement, to try to capitalise on the launch of Superleague.

Neither were the greatest at the time, so allowing for how the gaming market has evolved both look awful.

E Saint
5th January 2012, 23:59
EA did do a game, it was released in 1996, Shaun Edwards on the cover, for the PC.

There was also a PC game that was launched about the same time with a "SuperLeague" endorsement, to try to capitalise on the launch of Superleague.

Neither were the greatest at the time, so allowing for how the gaming market has evolved both look awful.

Yeah they did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_League_(video_game)

I think your right I remember Shaun Edwards being on the front of the SL version.

Blue Harvest
6th January 2012, 00:11
Still got it somewhere. Wigan were referred to as "the pie-eaters" on the commentry. Made me laugh because every other team had their official nickname Eg Saints, Rhinos,.

E Saint
6th January 2012, 00:19
Still got it somewhere. Wigan were referred to as "the pie-eaters" on the commentry. Made me laugh because every other team had their official nickname Eg Saints, Rhinos,.

Is it also the one where they had us as 'St Helens Saints' ?

Blue Harvest
6th January 2012, 00:37
Yep, "The StHelens Saints".

Scouse Don
6th January 2012, 07:57
I seem to remember a good one a few years ago.thought it was EA,I used to make Wigan crap and make them finish bottom of the table.....is that childish?

Bigman
6th January 2012, 09:22
I seem to remember a good one a few years ago.thought it was EA,I used to make Wigan crap and make them finish bottom of the table.....is that childish?

I did exactly the same with Wigan :D

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
6th January 2012, 10:40
As far as i can remember the only 3 rugby league computer games have been ,made by "tru blu" And they have all been shocking!

Why wont EA Sports create a Rugby League game along the same lines as FIFA12 with the controls and graphics. I play FIFA12 and the controls and responsiveness of the game is amazing! The 3 rugby league games i have played have been very wooly, the controls were not responsive, the graphics where just as bad.

I dont follow football but after playing on FIFA12 since christmas i can now understand the game, and name the full man city, man united, chelsea, tottenham, and liverpool squads.

Would making a really high quality Rugby League game get people more intrested in the game? Make youngsters understand the game and get to know the players better?

The problem is that these high quality games cost multiple millions to make, and the publishers expect to recoup hundreds of millions (if not billions) in sales. FIFA12 sold over 3m copies and took $182m in sales in its first week alone.

A rugby league equivalent would recoup a miniscule fraction of that - probably only selling hundreds of thousands (if that) worldwide.

Dave01
6th January 2012, 10:47
The problem is that these high quality games cost multiple millions to make, and the publishers expect to recoup hundreds of millions (if not billions) in sales. FIFA12 sold over 3m copies and took $182m in sales in its first week alone.

A rugby league equivalent would recoup a miniscule fraction of that - probably only selling hundreds of thousands (if that) worldwide.

Well same could be said about Madden NFL games. Not many people play or buy this type of game on our shores but the game play and graphics are of good quailty, so why cant they atleast do the same for RL??? Its easily achieveable and hope the EA sport do RL justice this time round.

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
6th January 2012, 13:14
Well same could be said about Madden NFL games. Not many people play or buy this type of game on our shores but the game play and graphics are of good quailty, so why cant they atleast do the same for RL??? Its easily achieveable and hope the EA sport do RL justice this time round.

what?!?!? Madden NFL is probably EA Sports biggest game in terms of sales.

From wiki - "As of 2010 Electronic Arts has sold more than 85 million copies of Madden NFL since 1988, and as many as two million in one week, for more than $3 billion in total sales. A team of 30 developers and more than 100 game testers works on each new Madden NFL at EA Tiburon in Orlando, Florida."

An RL game wouldnt sell 2m copies in total worldwide, never mind in a single week.

Dave01
6th January 2012, 13:18
what?!?!? Madden NFL is probably EA Sports biggest game in terms of sales.

From wiki - "As of 2010 Electronic Arts has sold more than 85 million copies of Madden NFL since 1988, and as many as two million in one week, for more than $3 billion in total sales. A team of 30 developers and more than 100 game testers works on each new Madden NFL at EA Tiburon in Orlando, Florida."

An RL game wouldnt sell 2m copies in total worldwide, never mind in a single week.

I stand corrected hahaha.
As for sales i wouldnt have thought Madden would have done well in the UK market, but im wrong.

Harvey143
6th January 2012, 14:22
505 games are the company that produced the Rugby World Cup 2011, and that was a brilliant game. I've always wanted EA Sports to produce a Rugby League game, but I can't see it happening.

The Wee Waa Womble
6th January 2012, 14:28
As for sales i wouldnt have thought Madden would have done well in the UK market, but im wrong.

EA Sports are an American company and their American football, basketball and ice hockey games sell well all over the world but are staggering in the US and Canada. They spend millions on each game and will therefore only make games where profits can be recouped by worldwide sales. A Rugby League game would sell in UK, Aus and NZ but nowhere else. It is said that EA Sports practically bankrupt themselves every year making FIFA but then make their money back threefold in sales.

Dave01
6th January 2012, 14:48
EA Sports are an American company and their American football, basketball and ice hockey games sell well all over the world but are staggering in the US and Canada. They spend millions on each game and will therefore only make games where profits can be recouped by worldwide sales. A Rugby League game would sell in UK, Aus and NZ but nowhere else. It is said that EA Sports practically bankrupt themselves every year making FIFA but then make their money back threefold in sales.

I agree with you and three other people hence the "stand corrected" phrasing on the above post.
Some how i dont think EA would bankrupt themselves for RL but tell me you wouldnt want to see a good RL comp game made??

Spider Ski
6th January 2012, 15:34

You fail to appreciate the ever growing appeal of American Football in Britain. It is the fastest growing participant sport in this country at the minute.

Wizards Sleeve
6th January 2012, 15:42
It may only sell in UK, AUS and NZ but when making the game what rules would they use? So far we have NRL rules, Super League rules and International rules. We probably have different rules again at amateur level. Imagine a young kid down south just getting into RL on Sky and playing a RL game with different rules on the PS3. All a bit of a joke and a lot of a shame.

Dave01
6th January 2012, 15:46
You fail to appreciate the ever growing appeal of American Football in Britain. It is the fastest growing participant sport in this country at the minute.

I thought MMA was one of if not the fastest growing US sport growing over here???
I myself actually like American Football and have had two successful championship teams in the NFL Fantasy Football, but that aside i was only referring to the growth in popularity in the UK's comparison for NFL over rugby league gaming. So as a rugby league fan im sure you would buy a rugby league gamed over NFL game??? If the quality was there that is!!??

I have already stated i stand corrected :thinking: haha.

Talk some sense!
6th January 2012, 15:56
I thought MMA was one of if not the fastest growing US sport growing over here???
I myself actually like American Football and have had two successful championship teams in the NFL Fantasy Football, but that aside i was only referring to the growth in popularity in the UK's comparison for NFL over rugby league gaming. So as a rugby league fan im sure you would buy a rugby league gamed over NFL game??? If the quality was there that is!!??

I have already stated i stand corrected :thinking: haha.

They've screwed you over on that haven't they....;)

Dave01
6th January 2012, 16:00
They've screwed you over on that haven't they....;)

Yes they have very much so and im not a happy bunny haha.......:confused: