PDA

View Full Version : STOBART new sponsor of Super League

yorkyrl
5th January 2012, 16:21
looks like its STOBART http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.***************.com%2Frug by-league%2F2012%2F01%2F05%2Feddie-stobart-to-sponsor-super-league-.html&h=9AQHcK07jAQEefXeMJTsLAYzNxfYvICtw8OGweMjIUsUuew

yorkyrl
5th January 2012, 16:25
Could be a good sponsor

BubbleSheep
5th January 2012, 16:37
*That's another link for anyone not on facebook

http://neilbarraclough.com/2012/01/and-super-leagues-new-sponsor-is/

yorkyrl
5th January 2012, 19:01
Thanks, thats a better link !

Lex
5th January 2012, 19:10
Finally. I was given this info weeks ago, by, as some like to call em "a reliable source". When I posted it on Red Vee there were'nt many positive threads, but at the end of the day, a sponsor is a sponsor.

metalsaint
5th January 2012, 19:33
didn't the sponsor someones ground?

E Saint
5th January 2012, 19:37

Yep ours ;)

roy litherland
5th January 2012, 20:33
carlisle fc.

RedVee Admin
5th January 2012, 21:45
The Stobart Ground? Sounds a bit second division trying to be top flight...

KentishBarry
6th January 2012, 08:48
Does this mean that all the coaches will be given ladies names?

platty
6th January 2012, 09:49
Does this mean that we can all have the Superleague sleeve badges put on our new shirts free?

Saint of Hull
6th January 2012, 09:59
There was also a thread on facebook saying it could be Probiz.

headtackle
6th January 2012, 10:50
Wouldn't be surprised as think they may have links with Widnes' owner may have some involvement there for a while

Would be good to have Stobart as a household name and known by everyone wheras with respect for what they have done Engage are not

If can get some signs on the wagons would be great publicity

Scouse Don
6th January 2012, 21:04
Is'nt it a TV show ?

Saint Simon
6th January 2012, 21:07
Is'nt it a TV show ?
and if they pot superleague sponsors on the trucks, its on tv too!

Bobbyrlfc
6th January 2012, 21:58
Sponsors a sponsor at the end of the day!

oldun
6th January 2012, 22:14
Sponsors a sponsor at the end of the day!And your point is?

yorkyrl
7th January 2012, 14:26
Sponsors a sponsor at the end of the day!
Not at all....Stobart has the potential to put superleage in the public eye more than any other sponsor has done so far !

h-bomb
7th January 2012, 20:23
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/rugby_league/4044283/Stobart-to-sponsor-Super-League.html

Saint Simon
7th January 2012, 20:49
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/rugby_league/4044283/Stobart-to-sponsor-Super-League.html
an indepth article!

yorkyrl
10th January 2012, 14:01
According to this sporting life there will be exiting announcements about sponsors later this month with the possibility of more than one sponsor for superleague

Talk some sense!
20th January 2012, 15:24
Confirmed as Stobart today

yorkyrl
22nd January 2012, 12:34
Details to be announced on wednsday. Its rumoured that Betfair offered more money so are we all happy with Stobart as title sponsors

Village Saint
22nd January 2012, 13:08
Details to be announced on wednsday. Its rumoured that Betfair offered more money so are we all happy with Stobart as title sponsors

The irrational part of my brain says "should have obviously taken the highest bid" .....but if this is true then the RFL must have calculated that Stobart bring more than just money to the table with their sponsorship hopefully meaning that the Super League logo will be put onto alot of their lorries!

Murgatroyd
22nd January 2012, 14:16
In one of yesterdays papers it said that Super League would be advertised on the lorry fleet.
Off topic,but there was also an interesting snippet in the same column about Sky showing some Super League games on Monday nights this season. The first of these being one of Bradford's home games in May. I can't remember which one.
I wish they would show some on a Sunday then I could get to watch Saints if they played on a Sunday. Friday is no good for me.

paulscnthorpe
24th January 2012, 15:31
Interestingly, it is believed stobbart haven't put up any money for the deal. The RFL deciding exposure is worth more than money. Time will tell

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/12/01/24/RUGBYL_Column.html&BID=480

OsborneSaint
24th January 2012, 15:48
Interestingly, it is believed stobbart haven't put up any money for the deal. The RFL deciding exposure is worth more than money. Time will tell

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/12/01/24/RUGBYL_Column.html&BID=480

I think this is great move and one that I applaud the Clubs and the RFL for agreeing. I also wasn't aware that the Clubs had a say on things like this. Thought it would be an RFL thing and they would choose who they want.

BubbleSheep
25th January 2012, 11:06
@StobartGroup are tweeting from today's press Launch.

@StobartGroup

RedVee Admin
25th January 2012, 18:33
Jon Wilkin, courtesy of @SkySportsFraser

https://p.twimg.com/AkAd21fCEAAEi7N.jpg:large

Plus plenty more: https://twitter.com/#!/SkySportsFraser/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2Fh66dI8FA

RedVee Admin
25th January 2012, 18:41
http://a.yfrog.com/img739/9969/efdsuc.jpg

From Stobart Group's yFrog album, found here: http://yfrog.com/mndg1ekpj

stubbsy85
25th January 2012, 20:13
Seeing as Eddie Stobart is the new super league sponsor the have decorated a few of there fleet of lorries with some super league players

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/turk5ter/420558_10150622766126449_248543946448_10815697_981 234351_n.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/turk5ter/421278_10150622775431449_248543946448_10815735_112 334329_n.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/turk5ter/420709_228638453889163_100002290313472_494700_8234 29395_n.jpg

yorkyrl
25th January 2012, 20:20
The trailers look great.! it would have been nice to have more than 100 though, out of the 2200 plus Stobart fleet.

BubbleSheep
25th January 2012, 20:30
The trailers look great.! it would have been nice to have more than 100 though, out of the 2200 plus Stobart fleet.
Said that to Angela Powers on twitter, and she believes the numbers are going to increase with time.

RedVee Admin
25th January 2012, 20:39
Seeing as Eddie Stobart is the new super league sponsor the have decorated a few of there fleet of lorries with some super league players

Are they your pictures?

If not, state where you have obtained them from by providing a direct link to your source.

Harri81
25th January 2012, 22:23
The lorries look great, and a 100 is a good start. However a lot of people aren't happy and feel the RFL have got the poorer end of the stick on this deal.

I think it's great for advertising the game and reaches areas not known for the sport. But for all the advertising the company will get does it balance out with how beneficial it will be to the RFL, especially as its rumoured to be a no cash deal.

geordie_saint
25th January 2012, 22:39
The lorries look great, and a 100 is a good start. However a lot of people aren't happy and feel the RFL have got the poorer end of the stick on this deal.

I think it's great for advertising the game and reaches areas not known for the sport. But for all the advertising the company will get does it balance out with how beneficial it will be to the RFL, especially as its rumoured to be a no cash deal.

These trucks get everywhere; they even have their own TV show. The amount of 'free advertising' we'll get from this, especially on TV will be immense and something the game and clubs could only dream about.

The key to this deal is that it's not exclusive so the RFL have been able to sell naming rights to other companies as well. I've noticed the Heinz logo on one of the trucks on totalrl.com. So the RFL are picking up sponsorship money from other companies whilst getting a national advertising campaign. Great deal!

SaintJ
25th January 2012, 23:09
According to BBC text tonight, 5 clubs voted against Stobarts being SL sponsors. Wonder who they were?:S

Jamie's Boots
25th January 2012, 23:13
According to BBC text tonight, 5 clubs voted against Stobarts being SL sponsors. Wonder who they were?:S
Hull FC, Hull KR, Leeds, Salford and Castleford. They all voted for Betfair. Twas reported in League Express.

SaintJ
25th January 2012, 23:15
Hull FC, Hull KR, Leeds, Salford and Castleford. They all voted for Betfair. Twas reported in League Express.

Thank you!:angel:

forward ref
25th January 2012, 23:41
After viewing the pics I'm not sure who Stobart is sponsoring. Is it SL or is it SL on Sky sport?

It seems to me Sky got the best end of this deal.... and for free.

Sausalito
25th January 2012, 23:50
After viewing the pics I'm not sure who Stobart is sponsoring. Is it SL or is it SL on Sky sport?

It seems to me Sky got the best end of this deal.... and for free.

I'd have thought that was the idea ..to get more people throughout the country watching RL on tv.

The Chief
26th January 2012, 10:02
I conducted a scientific experiment yesterday. Drive from Newton-le-Willows to Blackpool (45 miles) and saw 11 Stobart vehicles along the way. But on the basis that ony 5% of the current fleet will have the SL livery, that's less than 1 vehicle in a 45 mile journey. Is it really such a great deal or has it been an unbelievable sales job by Stobarts?

Village Saint
26th January 2012, 10:58
I think them trucks look excellent! I didn't know there was individual trucks for each clubs and I thought it was just the one with all the players on! The backs look great an I think this is a really good partnership!

hookman2007
26th January 2012, 11:38
Eddie Stobart was a great supporter of RL. Rest in Peace Eddie. They have just made a film of his life. I havent seen it yet but I have seen the trailor

fishy3005
26th January 2012, 11:43
its a fitting partnership imo. having said that, eddie stobart died in a hospital bed. rugby league's dieing on its arse

Talk some sense!
26th January 2012, 12:24
its a fitting partnership imo. having said that, eddie stobart died in a hospital bed. rugby league's dieing on its arse

That's probably the worst way to describe a 'fitting partnership' i've ever heard.

Eddie Stobarts link with the Super league is fitting because the drivers breathe, players breathe too......

fishy3005
26th January 2012, 12:34
That's probably the worst way to describe a 'fitting partnership' i've ever heard.

Eddie Stobarts link with the Super league is fitting because the drivers breathe, players breathe too......

:confused:

Steve Johnson
26th January 2012, 12:34
Yes in principal i think Stobart will be a good sponsor but the doubt i have is no cash injection. This sounds to me as we are giving the game away. Out of the all the trucks they have 100 only having the SL logo on them really isnt enough and i would agree with The Chief on this.

Sausalito
26th January 2012, 13:22
Yes in principal i think Stobart will be a good sponsor but the doubt i have is no cash injection. This sounds to me as we are giving the game away. Out of the all the trucks they have 100 only having the SL logo on them really isnt enough and i would agree with The Chief on this.

Read what it says....'it is a layered sponsorship therefore thay can have as many sponsors as they choose.

Harri81
26th January 2012, 18:01
The concept is very good, a well known company offering great advertising. Only time will tell whether it's a great move by the RFL or a disaster.

Stobarts are loving it, as they are trying to entice fans to spot the trucks and become a member of the Stobarts spotting world. Only £15 per yr membership. Think I'll pass on that one lol.

fishy3005
26th January 2012, 18:14
The concept is very good, a well known company offering great advertising. Only time will tell whether it's a great move by the RFL or a disaster.

Stobarts are loving it, as they are trying to entice fans to spot the trucks and become a member of the Stobarts spotting world. Only £15 per yr membership. Think I'll pass on that one lol.

awesome!!! step aside trainspotting!! daddy's got a new hobby!!

Windle Lad
26th January 2012, 19:49
Think its a great partnership IMO especially if they market it right with SKY and push viewing figures up.
On the SLTV video I notice Chris Melling is the Brocos player on the team shot on one of the Lorries - have they got a sponsor yet - because that shirt is dire and IMO ruins the whole shot looks like he is just waring a training top.

Saintokell1974
26th January 2012, 20:19

Last time I 'spotted' the advert for the Channel 5 show about the trucks it was on a Friday nights at about 8pm- if you're not an avid fan of the show you might swap channels to watch something decent so don't think Stobarts are getting a better deal as Ch5 might not like that and it takes any ratings down for their show, then the show off air?

I think its a great deal, the pictures look great and some of the rumours are that the amount of trucks withlivery will increase? Wonder if the livery spotting will catch on, just like the ladies names/numbers on trucks?

Spritehawk
26th January 2012, 20:27
I conducted a scientific experiment yesterday. Drive from Newton-le-Willows to Blackpool (45 miles) and saw 11 Stobart vehicles along the way. But on the basis that ony 5% of the current fleet will have the SL livery, that's less than 1 vehicle in a 45 mile journey. Is it really such a great deal or has it been an unbelievable sales job by Stobarts?

Yes, but another way of looking at it is: how many other vehicles will see that Stobart's trailer as it travels along that 45 mile stretch? And that trailer will be on the road day in, day out for the duration of the sponsorship.
I think it's a great link-up.

Tallahassee
26th January 2012, 20:56
A good advertisement for RL players to the RU clubs down south.

Talk some sense!
27th January 2012, 09:18
Yes, but another way of looking at it is: how many other vehicles will see that Stobart's trailer as it travels along that 45 mile stretch? And that trailer will be on the road day in, day out for the duration of the sponsorship.
I think it's a great link-up.

This is a great point, if there are 100 trucks on the road every day and say on average one of these trucks is seen by 400 cars in a day (which is perhaps being conservative) thats 200k cars a week viewing the trucks and this is week in week out. And when your driving these kind of advertisments on the trucks are the type that you won't be able to help but look at, they're interesting if anything and will get lots of attention.

I think they will definitely do what they are intended to do and that's advertise the sport - whether the sport can use this to make up on the lost income a 'normal' sponsorship deal would provide only time will tell. One thing i'm 100% sure of is with this deal the game will be advertised a hell of a lot more than is was with Engage!

forward ref
27th January 2012, 10:06
I'd have thought that was the idea ..to get more people throughout the country watching RL on tv.

RL on Sky is not the same as RL. Stobart agreed to sponsor RL, they did not agree to sponsor Sky. Normally Sky would have to pay a fortune for this kind of advertising. The amateurs at the RL have been duped by the pros at Sky.

Talk some sense!
27th January 2012, 10:16
RL on Sky is not the same as RL. Stobart agreed to sponsor RL, they did not agree to sponsor Sky. Normally Sky would have to pay a fortune for this kind of advertising. The amateurs at the RL have been duped by the pros at Sky.

Sorry, disagree completely.

The two go hand in hand and it'd be no good advertising a sport to people and then highlighting how they can see it. We need people to be watching the game and you're more likely to see a non-rl fan tune in and watch it on sky sports and then think 'that looks decent' than you are to get them to just rock up at a stadium to pay to se a game their not sure on.

It's unfortunate in many weays but we need sky at the minute to help get the game a wider audience.

foozler
27th January 2012, 10:24
Read what it says....'it is a layered sponsorship therefore thay can have as many sponsors as they choose.

Exactly.

Unlike the Engage deal which was exclusive, this deal with Stobart allows the RFL to get other senior sponsors on board and I would imagine overall sponsorship, both cash and in kind, will end up being higher than Engage paid and significantly higher than the likes of Betfair had put on the table.
With regards to the Stobart deal, I would expect the number of SL branded wagons to increase over the lifetime of the deal.

In this age of multi-channel TV, social media, internet etc, advertising spend can disappear in a flash and not reach anyone. Given the need to raise the profile of the sport, the limited advertising resources the RFL has, I think this advertising deal is actually quite inspired, one thing we all seem to do these days is travel on motorways and RL images on Stobart will be seen by plenty of people. Even if they only watch on Sky, getting the viewing figures up over a period of years can only help the RFL when it comes to the next TV deal.

I would be really interested to know whether there is provision in the deal for marketing of the RL World Cup? What a great way to get the message out there.

hazzo21
27th January 2012, 13:11

Is the deal not surrounding just the Super League naming rights rather than a wider RL sponsorship? I thought it was just to secure the naming rights for Super League and if this is the case, Sky Sports are the ones that show all Super league games so it is only natural that they will be featured in the advertising. I agree with the points made by TSS.
Also it appears the decision was made by the clubs to take this offer rather than the RFL. Whilst I am not naive enough to think the RFL and the clubs will not have been influenced in some way by Sky, I do not think that this decision was made at the total request of Sky.

Sorry, disagree completely.

The two go hand in hand and it'd be no good advertising a sport to people and then highlighting how they can see it. We need people to be watching the game and you're more likely to see a non-rl fan tune in and watch it on sky sports and then think 'that looks decent' than you are to get them to just rock up at a stadium to pay to se a game their not sure on.

It's unfortunate in many weays but we need sky at the minute to help get the game a wider audience.

Exactly.

Unlike the Engage deal which was exclusive, this deal with Stobart allows the RFL to get other senior sponsors on board and I would imagine overall sponsorship, both cash and in kind, will end up being higher than Engage paid and significantly higher than the likes of Betfair had put on the table.
With regards to the Stobart deal, I would expect the number of SL branded wagons to increase over the lifetime of the deal.

In this age of multi-channel TV, social media, internet etc, advertising spend can disappear in a flash and not reach anyone. Given the need to raise the profile of the sport, the limited advertising resources the RFL has, I think this advertising deal is actually quite inspired, one thing we all seem to do these days is travel on motorways and RL images on Stobart will be seen by plenty of people. Even if they only watch on Sky, getting the viewing figures up over a period of years can only help the RFL when it comes to the next TV deal.

I would be really interested to know whether there is provision in the deal for marketing of the RL World Cup? What a great way to get the message out there.

If the deal was just for the Super League (as it appears) then I would imagine the naming rights for the WC are a completely different thing

Jamie's Boots
27th January 2012, 13:48
Well said foozler.

I hope there is provision for this. It would be great if Stobart were on board for promoting the World Cup and I'm sure any such promotion would provide excellent coverage.

Saintokell1974
27th January 2012, 18:30
Well said foozler.

I hope there is provision for this. It would be great if Stobart were on board for promoting the World Cup and I'm sure any such promotion would provide excellent coverage.

If their business/work coming in increases and their TV show gains more viewers etc surely this would be the case? Also, as proven over several years, Chemics fans will no doubt confirm that Stobarts are ramping up their input to advertising/sponsorship of our great game and will possibly approach or be approached to help with sponsorship or advertising of the WC

eddiewaringsflatcap
28th January 2012, 10:24
This deal just about sums up the abject failure of the RFL to promote the best interests of rugby league. In an age where the brand is everything the governing body has failed to align with premium partners (the Nike's, Apples of this world) and instead attracts the bargain basement. Given how the game is run generally, its little surprise. Who would want to be associated with a bunch of small time idiots like Wood and Lewis?

Now we have the unique situation where the RFL is subtly admitting it has failed to come up with any strategy to promote rugby to a wide audience and wants to use a transport company to 'spread the game.'

Vince Cable is proposing that employee representation is part off executive renumeration committee's. I wish there was a similar proposal to get fan representation on the board of major sports in the UK. Perhaps pillocks such as Wood would be held to account for once.

Jamie's Boots
28th January 2012, 14:24
This deal just about sums up the abject failure of the RFL to promote the best interests of rugby league. In an age where the brand is everything the governing body has failed to align with premium partners (the Nike's, Apples of this world) and instead attracts the bargain basement.
How is aligning with a national (international), household name that is a leader (if not the leader) in its field 'bargain basement'? I don't understand that assessment of Stobart.

Who would want to be associated with a bunch of small time idiots like Wood and Lewis?
Stobart, Gillette, Cooperative, Heinz ...

Now we have the unique situation where the RFL is subtly admitting it has failed to come up with any strategy to promote rugby to a wide audience and wants to use a transport company to 'spread the game.'
I don't think the RFL has admitted any such thing has it? I would agree that the RFL has failed many times to exploit marketing opportunities and personally I would much prefer them to spend central monies on marketing than on buying Odsal to rescue the Bulls but I don't think the state of RL exposure is entirely the fault of the RFL. For some reason, quite possibly establishment prejudice, the national media chooses not to give exposure to rugby league, except for the BBC and ITV on a regional basis. There is no justifiable reason for this given that at amateur level RL is now played in every county in the country and does have a growing (albeit at an amateur level again) international identity. However, it is still a matter of fact. Surely, then, a creative way of attempting to communicate that we exist to the nation at large is to bypass the national media and instead take the message out on our national road network? Granted, the number of lorries at present is small but media people have suggested this is just the beginning. It is a novel way of showing the world that we exist in the absence of support from the national media and hopefully by doing this the sport can effectively stick two fingers up at the national media. It is a risk but at least having no hard cash input into the title rights leaves the RFL free to make up the lost monies from other corporates as and when the opportunity arises. It could be hogwash but the RFL has clearly stated already that there will be further sponsorship announcements.

eddiewaringsflatcap
28th January 2012, 15:01
How is aligning with a national (international), household name that is a leader (if not the leader) in its field 'bargain basement'? I don't understand that assessment of Stobart.

Stobart, Gillette, Cooperative, Heinz ...

What a lame comeback. Wow. You have picked a few names. Why can't you face the facts and admit that Rugby union, cricket and obviously football are so much more able to attract high calibre partners. These are well run organisations. Instead we are conforming to stereotype by flogging the naming rights to Stobart (said with best Northern accent) for a few billboards on trucks. Laughable.

It would make a semblance of sense if the RFL were'nt so apologetic for the games heritage, but they have now retreated back from the farce that was Millenium magic - what was magic about it, 2 league points, most RL folk always enjoyed their days out at wembley not in a half empty stadium in the cold -a brought it to Manchester and now this deal.

I don't think the RFL has admitted any such thing has it? I would agree that the RFL has failed many times to exploit marketing opportunities and personally I would much prefer them to spend central monies on marketing than on buying Odsal to rescue the Bulls but I don't think the state of RL exposure is entirely the fault of the RFL. For some reason, quite possibly establishment prejudice, the national media chooses not to give exposure to rugby league, except for the BBC and ITV on a regional basis. There is no justifiable reason for this given that at amateur level RL is now played in every county in the country and does have a growing (albeit at an amateur level again) international identity. However, it is still a matter of fact. Surely, then, a creative way of attempting to communicate that we exist to the nation at large is to bypass the national media and instead take the message out on our national road network? Granted, the number of lorries at present is small but media people have suggested this is just the beginning. It is a novel way of showing the world that we exist in the absence of support from the national media and hopefully by doing this the sport can effectively stick two fingers up at the national media. It is a risk but at least having no hard cash input into the title rights leaves the RFL free to make up the lost monies from other corporates as and when the opportunity arises. It could be hogwash but the RFL has clearly stated already that there will be further sponsorship announcements.

So its everyone else's fault we don't get exposure? As much as there is a bit of a bias in the press, I just don't buy that we are hard done to. The game has been run like a bent Labour Club. Why would the passive pressman take it seriously when you have basket cases like the Celtic Crusaders going tits up?

The game clearly lacks credibility because it is so shockingly run and this has a knock on effect on the sponsors we can draw and the exposure we get in the press. I was going to mention that the RFL should be forging links with its stakeholders, but you have to be a tight ship first. Even then we had the situation where the genius' at RFL HQ decided to partner The Mirror exclusively and isolate themselves from everyone else. Again note the irony - despite the patronising drivel of a positive, open minded, diverse and growing sport from the RFL they give the cynics the chance to snipe that we have once again, resorted to type. Does anyone have a clue what strategy the RFL has. I dont. I suppose Mr Blue Sox Wood could tell is in twenty sentences where one would do.

I am sick and tired of the fans, the press, the players and uncle Tom Cobley being blamed for the Rugby League's failure to establish itself in the eyes of the media and the mainstream. The primary blame lies at the door of the RFL who are so inept they make Field Marshall Haig look a genius.

Jamie's Boots
28th January 2012, 20:12
What a lame comeback. Wow. You have picked a few names. Why can't you face the facts and admit that Rugby union, cricket and obviously football are so much more able to attract high calibre partners.
I consider Stobart a high calibre partner. I think RU, cricket and soccer will attract more of them but Stobart, Heinz and Gilette are of the same order as anything those sports attract. RU, cricket and soccer all attract more of them because they are given higher status and greater exposure by the national media. Why either is the case I do not know but unfortunately it is.

I am not aware of blaming the fans, the press or anyone uniquely for the problem. The RFL has its part to play and has failed on many occasions to promote our sport. However, I am sure there will be occasions when it has attempted to promote the sport but met disinterest. I know RL media pundits have described that as a problem. Chris Irvine et al have all tried to obtain more column inches in their respective papers but rather than succeed in doing so they have found themselves made redundant instead. That suggests the problem is not solely the RFL.

The RFL is not helped when, having managed to pull together a successful Four Nations (in terms of media interest and fan engagement), the NRL decide they are disinterested in the health of the sport beyond their own shores and refuse to contemplate a Four Nations comp this year. So the momentum built by the Four Nations in 2011 is lost. That is an example of the RFL trying to raise the game's profile but being met with disinterest.

Tallahassee
28th January 2012, 20:49
I would imagine the NRL are looking after their own,perhaps they see no point in coming here pasting us,the Kiwis and a n other. The international game is why our game isn't taken seriously and has been for a long time now. As for the deal with Stobarts it doesn't work for me,was it the only one on the table?

yorkyrl
29th January 2012, 08:33
personally i think the RFL have done good on this one. Stobart IS a high profile brand and the deal thats been done allows other sponsors to come on board. The exposure will be far and away above anything achieved by previous sponsors. Lets face it, this sponsorship has created more interest already !

foozler
29th January 2012, 14:54
This deal just about sums up the abject failure of the RFL to promote the best interests of rugby league. In an age where the brand is everything the governing body has failed to align with premium partners (the Nike's, Apples of this world) and instead attracts the bargain basement. Given how the game is run generally, its little surprise. Who would want to be associated with a bunch of small time idiots like Wood and Lewis?

Vince Cable is proposing that employee representation is part off executive renumeration committee's. I wish there was a similar proposal to get fan representation on the board of major sports in the UK. Perhaps pillocks such as Wood would be held to account for once.

There is no doubting that a number of things that could be done better, but I think you are being slightly harsh on the RFL. If you are going to criticise the RFL, you also have to be critical of the clubs and their management boards.

In order to be objective, you have to take the monster that is the Premier League out of the equation which gives you RU and Cricket in England as your benchmarks.

Both of them are London based sports whose senior ranks are made up, for the most part of people who went to the right schools, universities and have worked for the right law firms, finance houses, large corporates in London and the City in particular. The RFU is only the financial powerhouse it is today because of the tenure of Francis Baron, a former big shot lawyer. The sports also have high profile and prestigious London stadiums where they can sell countless debentures and other products that are attractive to high net worth movers and shakers of the South East. Within the last 10 years both sports have won the biggest competition in their respective sports (ie World Cup & Ashes), have had high profile victory parades through London, and have greatly benefited from the resulting publicity.

Compare those two sports to RL, and as great a sport as we have, when it comes to commercial pulling power we are a long way behind. At the risk of being polemical, we are also disadvantaged by the working class heritage of the sport; the fact is money follows money and if RU is perceived to be a sport with a higher percentage of AB’s in its audience than RL, then more often than not, the money will go to RU (aside the old-school connections I have previously mentioned).

In short the issue for RL is that in order to attract commercial partners willing to spend significant amounts of cash sponsoring the sport, the national team has to bloody well win a competition of note and we need to get a significant number of wealthy people following the sport. As with money following money, people like to follow successful teams, plenty of the braying Henrys and Henriettas at Twickers probably only got interested in “southern” rugby in 2003.

For sure the RFL could do many things better, such as relocating the head office to a more important city like Manchester or even London but what the game really needs is a successful England on the pitch. Without a successful team you are always going to be disadvantaged when trying to get companies to stump up cash for sponsorship. It could well be the RFL have other cash sponsorships being negotiated which when added to the in kind value of the Stobart deal will result in overall sponsorship value going up.

Harri81
29th January 2012, 17:22
Does anyone know when these lorries will be hitting the roads?

oldun
29th January 2012, 21:12
Does anyone know when these lorries will be hitting the roads?probably the start of 2012 season 5thfeb?

Albion
30th January 2012, 01:29
There is no doubting that a number of things that could be done better, but I think you are being slightly harsh on the RFL. If you are going to criticise the RFL, you also have to be critical of the clubs and their management boards.

In order to be objective, you have to take the monster that is the Premier League out of the equation which gives you RU and Cricket in England as your benchmarks.

Both of them are London based sports whose senior ranks are made up, for the most part of people who went to the right schools, universities and have worked for the right law firms, finance houses, large corporates in London and the City in particular. The RFU is only the financial powerhouse it is today because of the tenure of Francis Baron, a former big shot lawyer. The sports also have high profile and prestigious London stadiums where they can sell countless debentures and other products that are attractive to high net worth movers and shakers of the South East. Within the last 10 years both sports have won the biggest competition in their respective sports (ie World Cup & Ashes), have had high profile victory parades through London, and have greatly benefited from the resulting publicity.

Compare those two sports to RL, and as great a sport as we have, when it comes to commercial pulling power we are a long way behind. At the risk of being polemical, we are also disadvantaged by the working class heritage of the sport; the fact is money follows money and if RU is perceived to be a sport with a higher percentage of AB’s in its audience than RL, then more often than not, the money will go to RU (aside the old-school connections I have previously mentioned).

In short the issue for RL is that in order to attract commercial partners willing to spend significant amounts of cash sponsoring the sport, the national team has to bloody well win a competition of note and we need to get a significant number of wealthy people following the sport. As with money following money, people like to follow successful teams, plenty of the braying Henrys and Henriettas at Twickers probably only got interested in “southern” rugby in 2003.

For sure the RFL could do many things better, such as relocating the head office to a more important city like Manchester or even London but what the game really needs is a successful England on the pitch. Without a successful team you are always going to be disadvantaged when trying to get companies to stump up cash for sponsorship. It could well be the RFL have other cash sponsorships being negotiated which when added to the in kind value of the Stobart deal will result in overall sponsorship value going up.

Well said.

eddiewaringsflatcap is being too harsh IMO and increasable unrealistic. There is no way on earth that we will get 'major' brands sponsoring our league, the apple/nike SL is just never going to happen. FWIW Eddie Stobart is not a company that I would describe as being the 'bargain basement' as it's a large logistics company that is recognisable nationwide as a brand... hardly 'bargain basement' is it?

It's very interesting to see how this develops from a marketing POV. On the face of it, it seems that Stobart has got a good deal (which it has) but I also think that we have too. It seems that the RFL have other plans in the pipeline for financial gains, so it's good to see a new way of trying to spread our sport and a new marketing strategy that may or may not work. After all it's worth a shot isn't it? If this method of advertising is unsuccessful then what the heck: we tried we failed we move on.

Saint Simon
30th January 2012, 09:12
Personally, i think this is a good move by the RFL (and that is a very rare thing!) We need to raise the profile of our game, that is vastly more important than actually getting the money from a sponsor, who then does nothing.
Having 100 massive billboards that are instantly recognisable travelling up and down the country (and continent) will do different things.
Firstly it will get more people to watch RL on sky, which will increase the amount sky can charge for adverts in and around games, this will lead to them being more willing to pay more for our product next time.
Secondly it will increase attendances. CM on a similar thread on RLfans did the maths and if we only get 207 extra fans to each game the clubs will get the extra revenue they would have got from other potential sponsors anyway - very achieveable
Thirdly we as a sport can still take on more sponsors anyway! this deal allows for us to have official sports drinks, official this and official that, so we could potentially get more money in anyway!

OsborneSaint
30th January 2012, 10:35

Totally agree with you.

I've had countless discussions with friends that have an interest in our sport regarding this sponsorship and plenty seem to like it. I like this deal because of the exposure but actually that there may have been no money involved also appeals to me. I don't trust the RFL with a boatload of sponsorship money so this way someone is doing the sponsorship for them. I just hope that more and more trailers will be added. 100 is a drop in the ocean for a fleet of 2000+.

Harri81
30th January 2012, 19:42
Totally agree with you.

I've had countless discussions with friends that have an interest in our sport regarding this sponsorship and plenty seem to like it. I like this deal because of the exposure but actually that there may have been no money involved also appeals to me. I don't trust the RFL with a boatload of sponsorship money so this way someone is doing the sponsorship for them. I just hope that more and more trailers will be added. 100 is a drop in the ocean for a fleet of 2000+.

I heard it would be around 225 trailers in total eventually being dedicated to the RFL, they are launched on Wednesday leaving Widnes at 11am heading along the m62 and m60 to Old Trafford.

yorkyrl
7th February 2012, 16:48
Heinz now confirmed as Official partner to Stobart...

Gruntfuttock
7th February 2012, 16:54
http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/heinz-big-soup-signs-up-as-super-league-partner/24345

With a six figure sum over two years

FearTheVee
7th February 2012, 16:58
lol at whoever it was complaining that SL hasn't aligned itself with Nike or Apple.

I'd like to see how much money you'd have brought in wasting your time with the likes of Nike and Apple.

RonSaintWiggin
7th February 2012, 17:04
I had a run up the M6 today (in the car of course) saw 15 Stobart wagons not one with the superleague logo,

Private Pyle
7th February 2012, 17:50
lol at whoever it was complaining that SL hasn't aligned itself with Nike or Apple.

I'd like to see how much money you'd have brought in wasting your time with the likes of Nike and Apple.

Indeed. They have to be interested in it for a start and with the lack of coverage our sport gets (rightly or wrongly) it just isn't an attractive proposition. What exactly would a company like Apple have to gain from sponsoring RL?

Talk some sense!
7th February 2012, 17:57
http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/heinz-big-soup-signs-up-as-super-league-partner/24345

With a six figure sum over two years

The only surprise here is the deal wasn't announced sooner, the logos being all over the stobart Super League trucks was a bit of a giveaway.

eddiewaringsflatcap
7th February 2012, 19:01

You have made yourself look a bit of a ••••• really by not reading what I said properly. I mentioned premium brands like Apple or Nike. You know like Barclays, Zurich, LV, Clydesdale - proper blue chip companies who sponsor our football, RU and cricket counterparts.

Instead like the Ken Barlow stereotype that we are, we have flogged the rights to our premier competition for nothing to a bloody haulier - one of the most crooked businesses around. Flogging the rights for nothing is effectively a terrible statement by the RFL that they believe we have no brand strength whatsoever.

Stobart in effect gets a free leg up by enjoying the prestige associated with an athletic and tough sport and we have'nt even got much out of the deal other than a palpably ridiculous claim that it equates to 2.5m worth of advertising. Given the RFL decison making in the past, I'd like to see their calculations on this. There should be a synergy here and it seems to be going enitrely one way.

The RFL are an utter joke. Keith Senior spoke sense on twitter for probably the first time in his life over this deal. That some RL fans clamour that this is a good deal for us speaks volumes on:

1. The failure of the RFL to get media buy-in and create wider awareness of the sport
2. Their low regard for our sport in the sense of a brand that is worth something.

Private Pyle
7th February 2012, 19:04
You have made yourself look a bit of a ••••• really

Sorry mate but there's no need for that whatsoever. Ironic though if that's what you were going for :)

OsborneSaint
8th February 2012, 23:02
You have made yourself look a bit of a ••••• really by not reading what I said properly. I mentioned premium brands like Apple or Nike. You know like Barclays, Zurich, LV, Clydesdale - proper blue chip companies who sponsor our football, RU and cricket counterparts.

Instead like the Ken Barlow stereotype that we are, we have flogged the rights to our premier competition for nothing to a bloody haulier - one of the most crooked businesses around. Flogging the rights for nothing is effectively a terrible statement by the RFL that they believe we have no brand strength whatsoever.

Stobart in effect gets a free leg up by enjoying the prestige associated with an athletic and tough sport and we have'nt even got much out of the deal other than a palpably ridiculous claim that it equates to 2.5m worth of advertising. Given the RFL decison making in the past, I'd like to see their calculations on this. There should be a synergy here and it seems to be going enitrely one way.

The RFL are an utter joke. Keith Senior spoke sense on twitter for probably the first time in his life over this deal. That some RL fans clamour that this is a good deal for us speaks volumes on:

1. The failure of the RFL to get media buy-in and create wider awareness of the sport
2. Their low regard for our sport in the sense of a brand that is worth something.

Wasn't it the clubs who made the decision to go with Stobarts? Not the RFL entirely.

Steve Johnson
8th February 2012, 23:33
I had a run up the M6 today (in the car of course) saw 15 Stobart wagons not one with the superleague logo,

Same here. Been on various motorways over past week and passed loads of Stobart wagons. Not seen the logos once. Wonder where they are. Game of i spy i think.

OsborneSaint
9th February 2012, 09:16
Same here. Been on various motorways over past week and passed loads of Stobart wagons. Not seen the logos once. Wonder where they are. Game of i spy i think.

I'm hoping that they are all not on the road yet but I have a horrible feeling that they are. They defo need to up this number.

Arwen
9th February 2012, 10:07
Think Bubblesheep has posted this elsewhere, but when I picked her up on Friday (200 mile round trip on the M6/A50/M1) we saw the Hull one just outside of Stoke. We also saw a much higher number of "blank" trailers - all white looking like they were off for painting/detailing. Perhaps saw 50 tractor units all together, of which half weren't pulling box trailers (either tankers, soft sided, etc) or were carrying the retailers logos (e.g. Asda).

I would hope that the logistics team are sending these far out of the rugby league heartland so that might be why we aren't seeing too many - not much point advertising to the converted.

Feeling a bit nerdy now, never been an Eddie spotter before, might have to get me a spotters book from here (http://www.stobartshop.co.uk/):blush:

Spritehawk
9th February 2012, 11:53
I went up to Glasgow this week and saw two 'Sleddies®' - (SuperLeague Eddies - geddit?) - one on the way up and the other on the way down the next day. Both were around JN13 on the M74, so there wasn't much traffic passing them! The first one was the Vermin's which was travelling south, and the second may have been Catalan (didn't get a proper look) which was down by the Services facing north.

RedVee Admin
9th February 2012, 14:41
carrying the retailers logos (e.g. Asda).
Stobart haul Tesco, not Asda.

Saints-Crusaders
9th February 2012, 15:08
The Saints one was in Haydock yesterday....one of the lads at work took a pic of it. We get a decent amount of Stobart wagons at Sainsburys but yesterday was the first time we've had a Sleddie there

geordie_saint
9th February 2012, 20:18
They've been spotted on the M25, M4, M40 and M5 also...

yorkyrl
10th February 2012, 14:18
IRN-BRU sponsorship Extended for another two years. Looking more like a good deal for RL . Can see the Stobart superleague hitting new heights.