PDA

View Full Version : problem for Wigan

doghead
29th December 2011, 23:54
I would be a little cocerned if I was a Wigan fan, hope there is no truth in this article.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_6755-football-ready-to-kick-out-super-league-clubs.html

southernsaint7
29th December 2011, 23:59
wish brady would shut her trap for once.

Quite how the PL could legally ban companies from renting their grounds out/renting off other clubs/councils with regards stadia could be interesting. Hull City could get interesting as its council run

jamisdaman
30th December 2011, 01:09
its in the sun, don't panic

Albion
30th December 2011, 01:25
Legal minefield - non starter

Spider Ski
30th December 2011, 01:28
It's As much a problem for Wigan as the bogs at KR are for us. Poor trolling attempt.

Bobbyrlfc
30th December 2011, 01:53
If that's the case then it's going to cost the Premier League an awful lot of Money....

Based on the seasons gone by Wigan Athletic have sold out twice, Both Manchester United, despite initiatives of £5 Adults £3 Pensioners £1 U-18's.

Now St. Helens game sells out 25,000 each year, if not the reaches 24,000, the warrington game must also run very close too.

Taking into account if Every Rugby team took 5k to the DW, wigan would touch 20,000 most games, as teams like Blackburn, Bolton, Everton, Liverpool, United, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle and Sunderland all bring the full 5k most times. it's safe to say in terms of home fans, Wigan Rugby brings more than Wigan Athletic imo.

As for Hull, seeing as it's based on the council, should Hull ever be promoted, then Hull would need a new stadium because of City being in the prem. Which would set them back approximately £100m, should Wigan Athletic stay in the premier league, Wigan Rugby would need a Stadium of Equal size to match the demand for such games, as well as international level.

Overall, Karen Brady, top tool. The Article is nonsense, and if true, then they'd be compensating the RFL big time for the Grand Final too.

The Wee Waa Womble
30th December 2011, 02:11
What a load of shit. Wigan RLFC have a 50 year lease at the DW until 2059 and it would be impossible for the premier league to enforce rules that counteract legal contracts. Karen Brady should either check her facts, keep her gob shut or just **** off altogether.

stoneislander
30th December 2011, 07:04
what the hell its got to do with brady is beyond me since both the clubs shes been involved are now in division one

KentishBarry
30th December 2011, 08:43
This idea has been rumbling on for a while now. If it ever did happen, my guess is that it would only be applied to new football clubs joining the PL. They would need to have a ground not used by a rugby club (either code). The rule wouldn't (couldn't) be applied retrospectively without serious legal backlashes.

Wigan should be worried however... Wigan Athletic that is!

rally
30th December 2011, 08:47
The Latics will probably go down this year anyway. If all fails Wigan do have orrell RU old ground to use! I'm sure nothing will come of it anyway.

RedVee Admin
30th December 2011, 09:00
This idea has been rumbling on for a while now. If it ever did happen, my guess is that it would only be applied to new football clubs joining the PL. They would need to have a ground not used by a rugby club (either code). The rule wouldn't (couldn't) be applied retrospectively without serious legal backlashes.

Commonly known as the RFU Old Boys rule - nearly all of the "names" in the Premiership don't meet the criteria laid down to teams looking to be promoted.

somerset-saint
2nd January 2012, 14:18
I would be a little cocerned if I was a Wigan fan, hope there is no truth in this article.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_6755-football-ready-to-kick-out-super-league-clubs.html

it has been talked about for years, I think there will eventually be a ban on rugby clubs using football stadiums, but I would imagine that they would be allowed to honour any existing agreements as long as the football club has 'primacy of tenure'.

somerset-saint
2nd January 2012, 14:20
wish brady would shut her trap for once.

Quite how the PL could legally ban companies from renting their grounds out/renting off other clubs/councils with regards stadia could be interesting. Hull City could get interesting as its council run

The premier league would not ban them, they would just include it as a condition of being in the premier league, that is how they could legally get away with it.... The premier league have no obligation to clubs to provide a competition for them, its basically a private club and can hold its own rules

Salopsaint
2nd January 2012, 14:56
So in theory If the latics get relegated they will not gain promotion if they are ground sharing

ploughman
2nd January 2012, 15:09
So in theory If the latics get relegated they will not gain promotion if they are ground sharing

In reality WHEN the latics get relegated they will not gain promotion,ground sharing or not

bazdev
2nd January 2012, 16:14
It wouldn't affect Wigan as they have signed a 99 year lease so any rule change couldn't legally affect them. After that lease runs out then they could be in trouble haha

Saintokell1974
2nd January 2012, 17:35
It wouldn't affect Wigan as they have signed a 99 year lease so any rule change couldn't legally affect them. After that lease runs out then they could be in trouble haha

I just think football are suggesting that we would wreck their precious turf?!? I wouldn't mind them banning rugby clubs use of grounds then seeing how much 'less' damage is caused with pure football use??

Saint Simon
2nd January 2012, 22:42
it might, latics would either have to build yourselves or themselves a new stadium!

KelCloset
3rd January 2012, 08:37
I don't see Wigan being kicked out of the DW, but they have already been on the wrong end of the footie club when it came to having to move their play off game to Widnes. It's clear that whatever lease they may have, they are very definitiely the junior partners in the arrangement, and will play second fiddle to the Latics.

Rogues Gallery
3rd January 2012, 11:21
I don't see Wigan being kicked out of the DW, but they have already been on the wrong end of the footie club when it came to having to move their play off game to Widnes. It's clear that whatever lease they may have, they are very definitiely the junior partners in the arrangement, and will play second fiddle to the Latics.

One game has been moved to another ground in twelve years. That's less than Huddersfield and Saints.

No problem at all.

ploughman
3rd January 2012, 12:15
One game has been moved to another ground in twelve years. That's less than Huddersfield and Saints.tet

No problem at all.

How many games have been moved to another date due to latics being at home that weekend?im sure we played the Good Friday game on a Thursay night and wasnt your playoff game against Catalan last season played on Sunday evening because of the football?Huddersfield played at Halifax last season because of the pitch being re laid,when this happened at the DW,you played as many fixtures away and then got a lot of home fixtures together at the end of the season.Like it or not,Warriors play second fiddle to the Latics

Rogues Gallery
3rd January 2012, 13:46
How many games have been moved to another date due to latics being at home that weekend?im sure we played the Good Friday game on a Thursay night and wasnt your playoff game against Catalan last season played on Sunday evening because of the football?Huddersfield played at Halifax last season because of the pitch being re laid,when this happened at the DW,you played as many fixtures away and then got a lot of home fixtures together at the end of the season.Like it or not,Warriors play second fiddle to the Latics

The game was played on Maunday Thursday as Wigan were in Perpignan on Easter Monday (the same thing for Wire this coming season) The Catalan game at Wigan was one of the games that SKY scheduled on the weekend.

Wigan RL and Wigan Athletic tend to work together to PLAN the pitch maintenance (see this years fixtures) It's usually done mid May and June.

But the moving of fixture dates wasn't the argument was it? It was about moving grounds and as I said both Huddersfield and Saints have had to do that more than Wigan.

bazdev
3rd January 2012, 15:57
The game was played on Maunday Thursday as Wigan were in Perpignan on Easter Monday (the same thing for Wire this coming season) The Catalan game at Wigan was one of the games that SKY scheduled on the weekend.

Wigan RL and Wigan Athletic tend to work together to PLAN the pitch maintenance (see this years fixtures) It's usually done mid May and June.

But the moving of fixture dates wasn't the argument was it? It was about moving grounds and as I said both Huddersfield and Saints have had to do that more than Wigan.

They might be moving a few more if today is anything to go by. Think the stand roof needs a bit of work

RonSaintWiggin
3rd January 2012, 16:19
12th August Warriors should have played at home,but Latics were at home on the 13th,so warriors had to put their game back to 14th.Latics always come first.

bazdev
3rd January 2012, 18:19
12th August Warriors should have played at home,but Latics were at home on the 13th,so warriors had to put their game back to 14th.Latics always come first.

Think in matters more to Saints fans than Wigan fans

Saint_Claire
3rd January 2012, 18:33
Think in matters more to Saints fans than Wigan fans

Ironic from someone who is a Wigan fan with almost 3000 posts on a Saints fans site.

Jase
3rd January 2012, 22:12
I've heard this else where, and from a reputable source..... And from what he said it is that whatever contract is in place will run its course, also the FA don't want any football stadia being used for rugby except national stadia i.e: Wembley, Millenium stadium etc etc...
I don't know how that would work in respect of the Grand Final....
And apparently Wigan football have wanted Wigan rugby out for awhile..... But how can they get them out with out breaching the contract?

CHANNEL22
3rd January 2012, 22:53

When we played Catalans on EM we played on GF. The excuse that that game was moved because Wigan were in France was just a smoke screen as was the arranging of the play off game against Catalans on a Sunday last season.

As the saying goes "You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time."

CHANNEL22
3rd January 2012, 22:59
One game has been moved to another ground in twelve years. That's less than Huddersfield and Saints.

No problem at all.

It wasn't a problem for us. Just common sense. It a bit like if you are selling your house and a buying a "new build". If someone comes along and buys your house you sell it, rather than risk losing a buyer, and move into rented until your new house is ready.

St-Susan
4th January 2012, 13:27
It's laughable really, playing rugby on a football pitch ruins it.

Howcome, 50,000 music fans stood on a pitch in the rain, e.g Take That's week long gig at Eithiad stadium, Wembley stadium, and every other stadia that hosts pop concerts should all be quagmires by now.

Sutty
4th January 2012, 17:53
It's laughable really, playing rugby on a football pitch ruins it.

Howcome, 50,000 music fans stood on a pitch in the rain, e.g Take That's week long gig at Eithiad stadium, Wembley stadium, and every other stadia that hosts pop concerts should all be quagmires by now.When stadiums host large events, such as pop concerts, the pitches are usually covered, in order to protect the turf. When the Prem season starts in August, the pitch is in immaculate condition, it usually remains so until well in to October, when the ground tends to get waterlogged. It's no secret that the DW is built on poor land and used to be marshland and flood plain for the river Douglas. That, along with the inadequate drainage, helps reduce the pitch to a mud bath by the end of winter. All this talk of rugby ruining the pitch is rubbish.

somerset-saint
4th January 2012, 19:15

In all fairness it is their stadium, wigan RL are just tennants

tricia
4th January 2012, 20:25
Nice to see you back on form Bazdev, by the way Rogues gallery dress it up however you wish it is Whelans stadium, and it was a play off game you took to Widnes.

Rogues Gallery
5th January 2012, 10:01
Nice to see you back on form Bazdev, by the way Rogues gallery dress it up however you wish it is Whelans stadium, and it was a play off game you took to Widnes.

Where have I said anything different?
The stadium is owned by Whelco and I think 10% Wigan Council. It was designed as a multi use stadium for RL and football as confirmed by in an article in the Wigan Evening Post.

A club spokesperson at Wigan Athletic said: “The stadium was built for two clubs and they work together.

“Mr Whelan is more than happy that the Stadium is home to two successful sides.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/brady_remark_sparks_debate_1_4103996

In twelve years Wigan RL have had to move only one game to another ground (the play off game v Bradford) which is less than Saints and Huddersfield.

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
5th January 2012, 10:42
Where have I said anything different?
The stadium is owned by Whelco and I think 10% Wigan Council. It was designed as a multi use stadium for RL and football as confirmed by in an article in the Wigan Evening Post.

A club spokesperson at Wigan Athletic said: “The stadium was built for two clubs and they work together.

“Mr Whelan is more than happy that the Stadium is home to two successful sides.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/brady_remark_sparks_debate_1_4103996

In twelve years Wigan RL have had to move only one game to another ground (the play off game v Bradford) which is less than Saints and Huddersfield.

Saints didnt have to do anything. It was a free choice, made with common sense in mind. We could have chosen to continue playing at Knowsley Road during 2011, but chose to go to Widnes.

Wigan have no choice in anything related to when they can play at "their" ground.