PDA

View Full Version : Focus for discussion this Christmas

saintgeorge
29th December 2011, 11:21
One of the most interesting points for discussion for me and my mates this holiday in the absence of any Rugby League in the news has been what, if all fit and raring to go, will be Saints' first choice pack next season. I know it never pans out like it should with injuries and the like but none of us could agree on what would be our starting 6. So here's handing it over to anyone who could help us out. Consensus was Perry, Roby, LeFranchi, Sia, TP, Wilkin - bench LMS, Flanagan, Flannery, Clough - but that leaves out a back from the bench.

hazzo21
29th December 2011, 13:11
One of the most interesting points for discussion for me and my mates this holiday in the absence of any Rugby League in the news has been what, if all fit and raring to go, will be Saints' first choice pack next season. I know it never pans out like it should with injuries and the like but none of us could agree on what would be our starting 6. So here's handing it over to anyone who could help us out. Consensus was Perry, Roby, LeFranchi, Sia, TP, Wilkin - bench LMS, Flanagan, Flannery, Clough - but that leaves out a back from the bench.

I would agree with your consensus. YOu could maybe argue about who would start where between the starting positions and you could easily replace any of the subs for one of the starting pack. However I do think he will stick with a back on the bench so I reckon Flannery or Flanagan would miss out in a 1st choice 17.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with the backs, especially if Wheeler is fit. The wing spots are likely to be 2 from Gardner, Foster and Makinson. Centres, 2 from Shenton, Meli and Wheeler. I reckon the half backs will start as Hohaia and Lomax which means Gaskell may be fighting for the sub role along with 2 of the 6 named above.

Nice to see we have a few options there and that is without considering Dixon and Magennis and the other youngsters.

Scouse Don
29th December 2011, 16:23
Personally I would have LMS as starting prop.I think Flanagan will start as a traditional Loose Forward.Just a couple of thoughts.

Ell Saint Blues
29th December 2011, 16:33
With the reduction to 10 interchanges, do you think Royce will stick with a back on the bench who probably won't get any game time?

hazzo21
29th December 2011, 16:43
With the reduction to 10 interchanges, do you think Royce will stick with a back on the bench who probably won't get any game time?

I must admit I hadnt really thought about that when I responded earlier and the honest answer is, I am not sure!!
On one hand you could argue that is his philosophy and it wont change on the basis of two less interchanges, especially when our pack is pretty mobile and should be capable of playing the longer minutes, with the exception of maybe Perry and Puletua.
Conversely he may decide that because there are fewer interchanges possible he needs an extra forward to share the workload and there is probably enough rotation within the 17 to cover any loss in the backs, especially for one game.
If I had to choose, I still think he will stick with the back on the bench policy.

jamisdaman
29th December 2011, 17:04
I was hugely against starting the back on the bench last season, especially in games such as the semi-final (challenge cup) against Wigan where gaskell came on for 6 minutes in place of Pryce in the crunch time, some games the back didnt even get onto the field. However I am ready to admitt that with the stack of injuries we were getting and the 12 interchanges available it did make some sort of sense.

This year though with less interchanges and what I think are now a more versatile bunch of backs (Lance being able to play anywhere, Meli can play wing or center, Lomax can play pretty much anywhere) and with the likes of wilkin being able to fill a half back role in times of need, I think we deffo need to play 4 fowards on the bench this year, and think we will suffer in games if we dont do this. Especially with Graham gone, we need other forwards to soak up more minutes, so starting a back on the bench does not make sense at all to me this year (not that i think Royce wont do it anyway!)

Billy Thompson
1st January 2012, 12:54
Last season, Royce always had a prop at Loose and a back on the bench. Seeing as he came within 20 mins of winning the GF he will most likely stick to this gameplan. Either TP or Laffranchi will be at LF with the other on the bench and LMS and hopefully a fit Perry starting props judging by the squad numbers.

Paul Newlove
1st January 2012, 18:17
Don't worry about it,we can be crap all season like Leeds but have a blinder in the play offs thanks to our ridiculous top eight system,sorry guys toys still well and truly flung out the pram :(

bazdev
1st January 2012, 18:31
Don't worry about it,we can be crap all season like Leeds but have a blinder in the play offs thanks to our ridiculous top eight system,sorry guys toys still well and truly flung out the pram :(

Without the playoffs you wouldnt have even been in with a chance of the title after May, so you benefitted equally as much

Paul Newlove
1st January 2012, 20:34
Without the playoffs you wouldnt have even been in with a chance of the title after May, so you benefitted equally as much

No mate TBH,I'm probably still being a bit mard about the GF but my beef is with the top eight play off and how each league game is massively undervalued now.We've debated this on here in depth before but I'm talking as RL fan not from a Saints perspective,I'd prefer league winners are champs but that will never change,the top five or six was Ok as far as they go but eight is ridiculous,I've got a season ticket as I love my club but for me the only games that I'll look forward to are cup games and play offs I mean we didn't beat you in the league at all last season but where did that get you in the play offs?
Apologies to the thread starter for going off topic, maybe I'll be more enthusiastic when the season starts and it's not fair to punish the club/players after all we were the only club to vote against the top eight all the other pussies wanted that comfort blanket and as for Wire well...