PDA

View Full Version : Gleeson: 18 month Anti Doping ban

theres only one stan wall
29th December 2011, 10:21
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/banned-Hull-FC-drug-scandal/story-14267822-detail/story.html

Hull Daily Mail allege Gleeson banned by anti doping agency for 18 months with a further 18 month suspended sentence on top. Also allege James Rule and a fitness coach departed as a result.

Remember when Millward signed Martin from Hudds'field, looked really wirey but had pace but could step of either foot. Shocking waste of talent he appears to be in complete freefall.

Reacher
29th December 2011, 10:41
Story confirmed by newspaper. Please can we refrain from any "I heard x y z etc". Stick to the facts please otherwise this thread will be locked.

saintgeorge
29th December 2011, 11:13
Why is it that some players from Wigan seem to end up having allegedly drug-related issues - Gleeson, Hock, Newton to name but three I can think of - not to mention the problems Aspinwall has had. Is it something in the water over there?

paulscnthorpe
29th December 2011, 11:17
No surprise really

RonSaintWiggin
29th December 2011, 11:31
Water is ok its the other stuff you have to worry about

Windle Lad
29th December 2011, 12:44
No surprise really

Was surprised Wigan took him despite being off-loaded by 2 clubs previously, but even more surprised Hull took him.

Shame really, looked destined for a fantastic future at Saints.

RedVee Admin
29th December 2011, 12:56
Why is it that some players from Wigan seem to end up having allegedly drug-related issues
Just to clarify, you mean Wigan, the town?

itswide2west
29th December 2011, 14:42
I still carnt believe they took hock back and have stood by him after shoving his fingers into ben harrisons eye socket and then punched him for saying ouch

saintgeorge
29th December 2011, 15:06
Yeah the town I mean. Just an observation.

The Wee Waa Womble
29th December 2011, 15:30
Not surprised really. Waste of talent Gleeson. If he'd kept on the straight and narrow his whole career he could have gone down as a great player. Just glad we shipped him out before he could drag Longy down with him properly.

Saint Simon
29th December 2011, 16:51
hopefully the RFL or past players organisations will look after him, noone wants another Newton

Billy Bunter
29th December 2011, 16:58
Just glad we shipped him out before he could drag Longy down with him properly.

Interesting you should say that, have a look where he acquired it.....http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/5946

eddiewaringsflatcap
29th December 2011, 17:28
Knew Gleeson had a problem of sorts whilst at Saints. Surprised he has hit rock bottom after so many hands on the collar.

Saintokell1974
29th December 2011, 21:32
hopefully the RFL or past players organisations will look after him, noone wants another Newton

Regardless of what he has done, or even why he has done it- Totally agree with this statement.

Does anyone know if Longy had a talking to/was expecting a ban and this is why he took up Yawnion? Dates were a few months ago?

RedVee Admin
29th December 2011, 21:42
Think about it, it makes no odds what he may or may not have taken as if he wasn't tested then he cannot fail.

Besides, I'm sure the ban is like pub watch - banned from one, banned from them all.

Saintokell1974
29th December 2011, 21:46
Think about it, it makes no odds what he may or may not have taken as if he wasn't tested then he cannot fail.

Besides, I'm sure the ban is like pub watch - banned from one, banned from them all.

Didn't mean that he had taken them! Just asking that if he advised Gleeson then did RFL slap him on the wrists?

RedVee Admin
29th December 2011, 21:52
Doubt it - if my mate advises me that it's ok to drive my car without a tax disc, will the police go to his house and give him a slap on the wrist for bad advice?

Saintokell1974
29th December 2011, 22:06
Doubt it - if my mate advises me that it's ok to drive my car without a tax disc, will the police go to his house and give him a slap on the wrist for bad advice?

Good point- don't think Longys answer would be good to quote anyway!

oldun
29th December 2011, 23:26
hopefully the RFL or past players organisations will look after him, noone wants another NewtonI will second that lets hope he gets all the help he needs

paulscnthorpe
30th December 2011, 13:12

Without kicking off a whole (old) new topic. I've never understood this thinking.

If a doctor, lawyer etc is sacked/suspended for a similar indiscretion, they'd not receive any support from their ex-employer.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on that situation, I'll leave it there.

As for gleeson, an absolute idiot, could have been a world beater if his head was right

phil265
30th December 2011, 16:16
I wonder was he a drug cheat when he scored against us in the Grand Final. If so I feel cheated!

scousedave
30th December 2011, 17:31
I personally think it should be a lifetime ban, these guys know exactly what their doing

Paul Newlove
31st December 2011, 12:26
It's a real waste of talent,he's only 31 I think and if his head was screwed on right he'd be far better than our current centres IMO.

bazdev
31st December 2011, 12:34
I wonder was he a drug cheat when he scored against us in the Grand Final. If so I feel cheated!

Unless he was in cahoots with a Hull FC conditioner whilst at Wigan its unlikely wouldn't you think???

phil265
31st December 2011, 15:11
Well if thats so why did Wigan release him? Something must have happened behind the scenes!

oldun
31st December 2011, 17:18
Well if thats so why did Wigan release him? Something must have happened behind the scenes!
For that matter why did Wire release him?

wirefox
31st December 2011, 17:28
For that matter why did Wire release him?

We all know why Saints released /transferred him:&

oldun
31st December 2011, 23:03
I see Mr Morley is going to look after him according to the Daily Mirror

bazdev
1st January 2012, 17:55

It did, he turned up for training drunk

oldun
1st January 2012, 21:17
It did, he turned up for training drunkAllegedly

bazdev
1st January 2012, 22:01
Allegedly

Not allegedly, the club said it when they released him from his contract.

FearTheVee
1st January 2012, 22:12
Not allegedly, the club said it when they released him from his contract.

Really? Got a link?

TW2 Saint
2nd January 2012, 09:13
Really? Got a link?

The controversial Gleeson, who earlier this year made a complaint to police about an alleged blackmail which he later withdrew, is thought to have been ordered home after turning up at the club in an unfit state to train on the eve of the game against Salford on March 4.

A statement from Wigan said: "Following a difficult recent period including injuries, a minor disciplinary offence and a serious distraction in his personal life in which he was the victim - all of which have made it impossible for him to focus properly on his career to the extent required by both club and player - Martin Gleeson has left Wigan with immediate effect.

bazdev
2nd January 2012, 11:59
The controversial Gleeson, who earlier this year made a complaint to police about an alleged blackmail which he later withdrew, is thought to have been ordered home after turning up at the club in an unfit state to train on the eve of the game against Salford on March 4.

A statement from Wigan said: "Following a difficult recent period including injuries, a minor disciplinary offence and a serious distraction in his personal life in which he was the victim - all of which have made it impossible for him to focus properly on his career to the extent required by both club and player - Martin Gleeson has left Wigan with immediate effect.

It was an interview with Maguire I referred to, he was asked if it was true he turned up drunk and he said Yeah he came in, in no state to train so was sent home. Will try and find the link.

wirefox
2nd January 2012, 12:37
I will second that lets hope he gets all the help he needs

He's a big boy,he bent the rules, he's paid the price.
The only one who can put him in order is Martin Gleeson himself. Good luck with that.

bazdev
2nd January 2012, 16:18
The only one who can put him in order is Martin Gleeson himself. Good luck with that.

That's the type of attitude that leaves is with sad situations like Terry Newton/Gary Speed. Everybody needs help at some point in their lives regardless of their performance/behaviour on the sporting field. At the end of the day they are all human

oldun
2nd January 2012, 21:40
Granted but any help required to get him back on track would perhaps help him to save him from himself if that makes sense

CHANNEL22
2nd January 2012, 21:53
Granted but any help required to get him back on track would perhaps help him to save him from himself if that makes sense

Something like "He needs help to help himself".

Whatever we think of him (being a fool to himself/stupid) etc I think the majority of people wish him well, for his future, which may now be outside the game

oldun
2nd January 2012, 22:14
Something like "He needs help to help himself".

Whatever we think of him (being a fool to himself/stupid) etc I think the majority of people wish him well, for his future, which may now be outside the gameYour right I think the majority of people on this board wish him well, just one or two posters who think otherwise

Dave01
5th January 2012, 11:50
Well i didnt think you could be banned for hammering the energy drinks ;)

oldun
5th January 2012, 22:57
Well i didnt think you could be banned for hammering the energy drinks ;)Well it looks as though the powers that be think so