PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Watch 8

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Gruntfuttock
31st October 2011, 16:26
Is the multi storey in town going to be open during matches do we know? I know they lock it up after a certain time but i'd imagine it'd make sense to have it open later on a Friday.

I personally can't see it being an issue to park on matchdays for those driving, the location is perfect really and getting the bus into town and walking over should be a definite option for most.

Anybody been in the new Tesco and can tell us what it's like? I know its only a supermarket but it's still pretty big for the town!

The nearby car parking was mentioned in the application for planning permission as far as I know the council are upgrading and cleaning the multi storey to be used on matchdays and of course you have the street level car parks as well

Rogues Gallery
31st October 2011, 17:03
I just went for a walk around it with my wife, very impressed, just a thought, we did a bit of shopping in Tesco,s and it was very busy coming out but i said seeing as Tesco,s is 24hr opening what would be the problem with them letting Saints use the car park, after all i do not think they are going to be so very busy at match times.

I'm sure they said that there will be no parking allowed on any of the retail parks for the RL matches. I know people have been wheel clamped and fined at Wigan for it.

Can someone clarify please?

Gruntfuttock
31st October 2011, 17:11
Tescos will have camera cams and probably keep a close eye on people who stay too long so I wouldnt risk it
as I said above you are supposed to use the multi sotrye and street level car parks in the area and walk to the stadium, its only a 10 minute walk

The Verminator
31st October 2011, 17:20
For the benefit of those of you who don't live nearby, I did a sweep of the new ground today and filmed it for your benefit in three exciting instalments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwidA9wTWdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGo-dUH37dU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUg_u6lvb_k

I hope you enjoy it, you'd better, it took me 45 minutes to get off Tesco!

Agent Mulder
31st October 2011, 17:51
Thanks for the tour Mr. V.

Saint Ged
31st October 2011, 17:56
I know about Tescos rigid attitude to parking and i know about Warrington, i only mentioned it becuase of the 24hr opening.

HoofeHearted
31st October 2011, 17:57
For the benefit of those of you who don't live nearby, I did a sweep of the new ground today and filmed it for your benefit in three exciting instalments:

I hope you enjoy it, you'd better, it took me 45 minutes to get off Tesco!

Thanks for filming that. Went with the wife, this afternoon, with a plan to look around the stadium and visit the new Tesco.

Took ages crawling around Tesco car park trying to park up. This was because the the enormous queue of cars trying to get out.
Nothing was moving for ages.

Eventually got to park up, but by then, I had spat the dummy. Went around Tesco, bought some things (mainly beer!) and then got in the queue to get out.
Don't think I will be visiting again until after Christmas. Yet another traffic design cock-up in St. Helens.

Saint Ged
31st October 2011, 18:23
Thanks for the tour.

The Verminator
31st October 2011, 18:30
Thanks for filming that. Went with the wife, this afternoon, with a plan to look around the stadium and visit the new Tesco.

Took ages crawling around Tesco car park trying to park up. This was because the the enormous queue of cars trying to get out.
Nothing was moving for ages.

Eventually got to park up, but by then, I had spat the dummy. Went around Tesco, bought some things (mainly beer!) and then got in the queue to get out.
Don't think I will be visiting again until after Christmas. Yet another traffic design cock-up in St. Helens.

For me, it will work one of two ways.

It's either a traffic cock up OR, and this is my theory, it's terrible today and will be for the next 2-3 weeks because the Linkway East is shut. A lot of people are following the diversion which takes you across the top of Tesco round about in order to go past Arnold Clark and then down Peasley Cross Road towards Fingerpost.

Normally that traffic would be fine, but with the road being shut the Linkway is getting a lot more traffic than usual and that was what was causing the jams in Tesco.

If I'm wrong though, and it wouldn't be the first time, they will need to put lights on that roundabout. Tesco won't stand for that sort of queueing for long. Although I am not going to lie, if I go back to the stadium that's where I'll be parking!

HoofeHearted
31st October 2011, 18:45
It didn't help that there are temporary lights at the McDonald's Roundabout.
Does anyone know what they are for?

wardies love child
31st October 2011, 18:56
It didn't help that there are temporary lights at the McDonald's Roundabout.
Does anyone know what they are for?

Believe it or not they are there to ease pressure in front of tesco where the traffic sits. similar coming down the link way to Mc Ds. Same process as traffic lights on slip roads before getting on a motorway. Going on red they are meant to let the traffic flow where it's not (currently outside tesco)
Works well doesn't it ;)

HoofeHearted
31st October 2011, 19:19
Believe it or not they are there to ease pressure in front of tesco where the traffic sits. similar coming down the link way to Mc Ds. Same process as traffic lights on slip roads before getting on a motorway. Going on red they are meant to let the traffic flow where it's not (currently outside tesco)
Works well doesn't it ;)

Thanks for that.

The idea must have looked good on paper.:oops:

SaintPeter
31st October 2011, 19:41
Its just as bad in tesco they offer a free map at the checkout, should offer it at the entrance in my oppinion. There is no structure either everything is all over the Place.

David
31st October 2011, 20:01
Amazing pictures and videos everyone - thank you! I can't wait to get down there and have a look around for myself! New kit tomorrow, stadium naming rights announcement presumably not far away, best stadium in British club rugby...good times!!

Saint Maverick
31st October 2011, 20:13
Thanks for those Videos Verminator, a great insight of the stadium for us that don't live locally. Very much appreciated, and great work.

RedVee Admin
31st October 2011, 20:35
Traffic...

First off, the bridge works being a month late.

Second, every bugger and their dog wanting to go and look at the new Tesco. Why? It looks like every other Tesco Extra, there's no need to pile down on opening day.

It'll be fine once the novelty has worn off and the bridge is up.

Plus side, in and out of Asda with no hassles...

Armourer
31st October 2011, 22:13
Thanks for that Verminator, it took you 45 mins to get off the car park you say there's devotion to duty for you. It took me over an hour to watch vid 2 as I have a dial up dongle to run my internet on in the middle of knowhere in Saudi but well worth the wait cheers.

saintjames
31st October 2011, 22:42
Don't understand it. Most of the large multiples offer home delivery now - no need to step foot in any of them.

Supersaint
1st November 2011, 06:45
Traffic...

First off, the bridge works being a month late.

Second, every bugger and their dog wanting to go and look at the new Tesco. Why? It looks like every other Tesco Extra, there's no need to pile down on opening day.

It'll be fine once the novelty has worn off and the bridge is up.

Plus side, in and out of Asda with no hassles...

A man with common sense, however I'm stuck between a rock and hard place due to our Maud wanting to go however she would go with her mam but will be taking my card so I can't keep an eye on her lol

Geoggy
1st November 2011, 09:01
Don't understand it. Most of the large multiples offer home delivery now - no need to step foot in any of them.

to choose your own fresh fruit and veg yer weirdo!! ;)

ThorntonSaint
1st November 2011, 09:48

Nah just send the wife.

ploughman
1st November 2011, 10:54

Better off buying it from a proper Greengrocer or a Farm Shop if you want fresh fruit and veg.The veg is locally sourced aswell.less food miles!

Geoggy
1st November 2011, 11:56
Better off buying it from a proper Greengrocer or a Farm Shop if you want fresh fruit and veg.The veg is locally sourced aswell.less food miles!

supermarket shopping for all foodstuffs suits my lifestyle profile.

Buddy
1st November 2011, 13:02
supermarket shopping for all foodstuffs suits my lifestyle profile.

Do you mean you're not bothered if its gone off before you get home?

ThorntonSaint
1st November 2011, 13:10
Shall we change this to supermarket watch.

Two Wheeled Saint
1st November 2011, 13:12
The next question for the SMManager is the stadium to get a sponsors name or is it going to be known as the 'new saints stadium', as per the conference brochures?

Talk some sense!
1st November 2011, 13:14
The next question for the SMManager is the stadium to get a sponsors name or is it going to be known as the 'new saints stadium', as per the conference brochures?

I'm pretty sure at some point Eamon has confirmed that the naming rights have already been sorted and it's just a case of having it announced.

paulscnthorpe
1st November 2011, 13:21
I'm pretty sure at some point Eamon has confirmed that the naming rights have already been sorted and it's just a case of having it announced.

Just negotiating with a whole list of councillors to see who gets the right to announce it :wink:

paulscnthorpe
1st November 2011, 13:22
Shall we change this to supermarket watch.

It's like being on moneysavingexpert forums.

Has anyone done the Asda price guarantee, got myself a 1.25 voucher!

ploughman
1st November 2011, 14:02
Do you mean you're not bothered if its gone off before you get home?:smile:

Geoggy
1st November 2011, 14:45
Do you mean you're not bothered if its gone off before you get home?

no, means i'm too lazy to go to other places. I mean too busy.

:wtf:

HoofeHearted
1st November 2011, 16:17
Just negotiating with a whole list of councillors to see who gets the right to announce it :wink:

It will be Rimmer and either Lister, Kryten or the Cat!

Buddy
1st November 2011, 16:57

Nah, They're all too busy arranging new caravan sites for ex-dale farm residents.

getouttahere
1st November 2011, 19:27
Anybody know what year this is or who's in the photo. There's some great pictures of old RL grounds in there aswell, even one of St Helens Town ground.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/groundhopper27/5854316548/in/photostream/lightbox/

tongey
1st November 2011, 19:45
Anybody know what year this is or who's in the photo. There's some great pictures of old RL grounds in there aswell, even one of St Helens Town ground.

I'd say it's mid eights.

Dom McCormack
1st November 2011, 19:48

My guess is about 1988-90. The 'Newsline' hoarding on the pop side back wall, it looks like (correct me if I'm wrong) the 2nd generation of Hoofeys 'Scaff' which was a permanent steel structure painted black and another of my bug bears always comes to the front of my mind when I see the old 'St.Helens RFC' wrought iron letters on the Main Stand. Why some bright spark decided to just chuck them away when they re-sited the tunnel leaves me completely dumbfounded. Years of tradition and heritage lost without a moments thought.

getouttahere
1st November 2011, 19:52
The other thing I noticed was the Labbatts advert, didn't we have that as a one off shirt sponsor v Wigan around the time of Jarrod McCracken?

Duke Eddington
1st November 2011, 20:04
The other thing I noticed was the Labbatts advert, didn't we have that as a one off shirt sponsor v Wigan around the time of Jarrod McCracken?

Wasn't Labbatts, it was Coors. Think we had a 100% success rate in that kit. ;)

CHANNEL22
1st November 2011, 20:14
The "dug out" was transfered to the Pop side in October 1982. so it is after that.

We did have 100% success rate in the Coors shirt. Can't remember who we played but it was Boxing Day and we won 41-6

100% referee!
1st November 2011, 22:15
It's like being on moneysavingexpert forums.

Has anyone done the Asda price guarantee, got myself a 1.25 voucher!

Yeh if you spend over £40 you get £5 just for checking as I found out @ lunch

wardies love child
1st November 2011, 22:51

Yosser Hughes bottom left. Gizza job, go ed, I can do that, it's easy.

djgazza
2nd November 2011, 01:08
It looks more like Boycey and Mick Miller lol

ThorntonSaint
2nd November 2011, 07:45
Hahaha you can tell the stadium is nearly done, this has turned into a chat thread.

ThorntonSaint
2nd November 2011, 09:16
Have people seen that stadium tours for ST holders has been unveiled as being in the second week of December. Hope its before the 14th otherwise I might be busy due to my little boy being due on that day.

newport dave
2nd November 2011, 09:41
Have people seen that stadium tours for ST holders has been unveiled as being in the second week of December. Hope its before the 14th otherwise I might be busy due to my little boy being due on that day.

Congratulations and possibly unlucky.....;);)

doghead
2nd November 2011, 09:57
will the bars be open during the stadium tours, serious question.

ThorntonSaint
2nd November 2011, 10:02
Congratulations and possibly unlucky.....;);)

Thanks, and more unlucky for the wife as she will possibly miss the start of the season if its cold.

ThorntonSaint
2nd November 2011, 10:02

Depends how the fit out is doing and if the bars are functional. I'm sure I read somewhere bars wouldn't be done until Jan.

groundhopper27
2nd November 2011, 11:00

Thanks for the compliments. Its my Flickr album. Nice to have a wider audience. I'm pretty sure the pics of Knowsley Road were taken in either 1989 or 1990.

Agent Mulder
2nd November 2011, 12:16
Been out for a trip to Tesco and the New Stadium this morning. I'ts the first time I have seen the stadium so close up and like everyone else says it is awesome. Tesco car parking was fine hardly any cars on really and very easy to get on and off. Can't wait to get inside now with a full house.

luckysaint
2nd November 2011, 12:39

They might not have a license yet! It usually says over a main doorway somewhere if its licensed premises.

Smiggy
2nd November 2011, 13:00

It does have a sponsors name, been aware of it for over a month, must be due for announcement soon but prepare to be disappointed folks...for the next 5 years too.

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
2nd November 2011, 13:06
It does have a sponsors name, been aware of it for over a month, must be due for announcement soon but prepare to be disappointed folks...for the next 5 years too.

GPW again then? :sad:

Two Wheeled Saint
2nd November 2011, 13:08
PM please ;)

Smiggy
2nd November 2011, 13:12
GPW again then? :sad:

God no, not quite that bad!

Sadfish
2nd November 2011, 13:23

Dont understand why anyone would be dissapointed with a 5 year sponsorship deal regardless of who it is. (DW Sports being the exception, although, i'd take his money..)

Talk some sense!
2nd November 2011, 13:48

I don't think it's your place to be even hinting about what it may or not be let alone 'preparing' fans for disappointment.

forward ref
2nd November 2011, 13:58
I don't think it's your place to be even hinting about what it may or not be let alone 'preparing' fans for disappointment.

So we all have 'places' now do we. And we should know what they are.

Talk some sense!
2nd November 2011, 14:02
So we all have 'places' now do we. And we should know what they are.

Stop being silly about it - the club have been working on getting the best deal for the club and it's something that the club will make a deal out of announcing. By coming on here and basically saying 'I know who it it and it's rubbish' does nobody any favours and i'm quite sure the club wouldn't want there to be any chance of this getting out before the actual announcement.

If you don't understand how it isn't the place of a fan on a message boards to be revealing anything to do with the name then more fool you.

Saddened!
2nd November 2011, 14:02
PM please ;)

Ditto, if anyone has any info, let me know via PM.

Smiggy
2nd November 2011, 14:28
Stop being silly about it - the club have been working on getting the best deal for the club and it's something that the club will make a deal out of announcing. By coming on here and basically saying 'I know who it it and it's rubbish' does nobody any favours and i'm quite sure the club wouldn't want there to be any chance of this getting out before the actual announcement.

If you don't understand how it isn't the place of a fan on a message boards to be revealing anything to do with the name then more fool you.

Nothing at all revealed, just a name I'd heard a while ago. If it proves correct, some may like it others not. It's all a matter of opinion.

Talk some sense!
2nd November 2011, 14:31
Nothing at all revealed, just a name I'd heard a while ago. If it proves correct, some may like it others not. It's all a matter of opinion.

No i appreciate that but it does lead to the inevitable 'pm please'

The handing over of the keys was annoying enough to some last week, if this did get out then it'd for me be even more of an annoyance.

ThorntonSaint
2nd November 2011, 14:36
It may have changed since then, I've heard a number of different names out there that have signed up. Red herrings?

Smiggy
2nd November 2011, 14:48
No i appreciate that but it does lead to the inevitable 'pm please' The handing over of the keys was annoying enough to some last week, if this did get out then it'd for me be even more of an annoyance.

Ye, as if though....

KentishBarry
2nd November 2011, 14:52
It may have changed since then, I've heard a number of different names out there that have signed up. Red herrings?

Maybe it's like one of those soaps where several endings have been written?

Greengrass
2nd November 2011, 15:11

Uncle Joe's Stadium is a definite NO NO

Saint Ged
2nd November 2011, 15:14
Sadfish, Was that Alf Ellabys secon time round or what? tose games and try tally is a bit puzzling.

Murgatroyd
2nd November 2011, 16:19
Thanks for the compliments. Its my Flickr album. Nice to have a wider audience. I'm pretty sure the pics of Knowsley Road were taken in either 1989 or 1990.

Thanks for the photos on Flickr I thought they were very good. It was me,( Cycling Saint) who sent you the P.M. on Flickr.
You will have to visit the new ground next season.

volls_dad
2nd November 2011, 16:56

I've not seen anything unveiled - can you point me in the right direction please?

Sadfish
2nd November 2011, 17:02
Sadfish, Was that Alf Ellabys secon time round or what? tose games and try tally is a bit puzzling.

This makes no sense to me.

nlwsaint
2nd November 2011, 17:13
Sorry to bring the mood down with this thread but can you actually drive up to the stadium now & if so how close can you get? The reason I ask is that my dear Dad passed away yesterday & will now never get to visit the new stadium. I am thinking of asking if we could drive up to it on his final journey.

You can drive all the way up in front of the stadium....I know they let the cortège drive up there fairly recently for that young Saints fan who died the day before his 21st birthday

Gutted! Just been told that we can't do this due to building control regulations & heavy vehicles on site.

100% referee!
2nd November 2011, 17:17
does any one know where the red v is going?(the one from kr)

Talk some sense!
2nd November 2011, 17:22

Is it definitely 'going'?

I know there are certain elements of the old girl that we want to remember but I'd not like to see the new stadium cluttered up with too much from KR.

100% referee!
2nd November 2011, 17:43
Is it definitely 'going'?

I know there are certain elements of the old girl that we want to remember but I'd not like to see the new stadium cluttered up with too much from KR.

I think so and they lifted and transported it some where so i can only assume that, that is where it's going

Sadfish
2nd November 2011, 18:41
I think so and they lifted and transported it some where so i can only assume that, that is where it's going

Hopefully it went in the bin. ;)

E Saint
2nd November 2011, 18:49
This makes no sense to me.

I'm guessing he was referring to your signature pic, and that the rotation was on alf ellaby at the time???

Saint Ged
2nd November 2011, 19:00
What it was Sadfish is that when Alf Ellabys picture was on i am pretty sure it said 28 games and if can remember, not many tries.

doghead
2nd November 2011, 19:19
Gutted! Just been told that we can't do this due to building control regulations & heavy vehicles on site.

the last cortege went up in front of the main stand at the height of the construction, when the road was a right mess, and heavy vehicles everyhere.
There is only about two heavy forklifts left on site, and pedestrians all over the place, and dont forget the haulage firm are using the road are they not covered by regulations.

Sadfish
2nd November 2011, 19:41
What it was Sadfish is that when Alf Ellabys picture was on i am pretty sure it said 28 games and if can remember, not many tries.

Ah yes multiple entries when they come and go from the club, i'd prefer them all in one list to be honest, but hey ho, I just do as i'm commanded.

Sadfish
2nd November 2011, 19:44

Just do it anyhow, it appears people are wandering in and out of the stadium at will, so a quick drive around in a hearse, no problem, sad for your loss fella hope you are keeping ok!.

djgazza
2nd November 2011, 22:03
The amount of vehicles up and down that road trying to get to Tesco is ridiculous. Two even tried to go round the north side of the stadium to get there. Every one of them ended up going back. To anyone thinking of driving right through from PX to the Linkway, don't bother. You can't.
There's been a steady stream of people strolling around the ground all day and all looking rather pleased,

doghead
3rd November 2011, 00:38
Just do it anyhow, it appears people are wandering in and out of the stadium at will, so a quick drive around in a hearse, no problem, sad for your loss fella hope you are keeping ok!.

you have a bigger pair of balls than me Sadfish, would have loved to have given the same advice.

ThorntonSaint
3rd November 2011, 07:34
I've not seen anything unveiled - can you point me in the right direction please?

It was announced on twitter earlier this week, more details are due later in November.

RedVee Admin
3rd November 2011, 09:13

It's on Billinge Hill facing Wigan...

RedVee Admin
3rd November 2011, 09:21
I read with interest Mr & Mrs Moaning-Minnie's latter in the Reporter regarding KC's statue.

Apparently it's a waste of money and ridiculous that it's been been placed out of the way on a back gate around the rear of Tesco, and not on the floor at the front of the stadium at Peasley Cross Lane where it should be so they can have their photo taken with it.

NEWSFLASH!

Peasley Cross lane is 'round the back' you fools.

The main walk up is from the Linkway, Tesco and the new footbridge. The SW turnstile is constantly visible to anyone passing, or visiting Tesco. It will have the largest amount of people walking past it on match day. It couldn't be more prominent.

scousedave
3rd November 2011, 09:27
I read with interest Mr & Mrs Moaning-Minnie's latter in the Reporter regarding KC's statue.

Apparently it's a waste of money and ridiculous that it's been been placed out of the way on a back gate around the rear of Tesco, and not on the floor at the front of the stadium at Peasley Cross Lane where it should be so they can have their photo taken with it.

NEWSFLASH!

The main walk up is from the Linkway, Tesco and the new footbridge. The SW turnstile is constantly visible to anyone passing, or visiting Tesco. It will have the largest amount of people walking past it on match day. It couldn't be more prominent.

to be fare id have put it on the ground, right infront of the reception, he does look a little lost up there.

RedVee Admin
3rd November 2011, 09:30
and when he's taken for scrap, or covered in graffiti, or has a Wigan scarf draped around his neck, everyone would be hollering for him to have been put up on the SW Turnstile block... ;)

Sadfish
3rd November 2011, 09:35
and when he's taken for scrap, or covered in graffiti, or has a Wigan scarf draped around his neck, everyone would be hollering for him to have been put up on the SW Turnstile block... ;)

Indeed.

Gruntfuttock
3rd November 2011, 09:38

NEWSFLASH!

I agree completely anyone who has walked from the Tescos knows how prominent it is, apart from the fact there isnt any room at the front of the stadium with the road being there, but yes I ready that letter and basically said to myself WTF?

saintjames
3rd November 2011, 11:12
Going to be in the area tonight...is it worth having a look when it's dark or not much to see?

E Saint
3rd November 2011, 11:23
Going to be in the area tonight...is it worth having a look when it's dark or not much to see?

Yeah have a look mate.

I went to tescos the olther night, The shadow of KC's statue on the stadium looks great!

scousedave
3rd November 2011, 11:46

well to befare, its a statue, they could have put it on a pedistal, as for wigan scarfs round its neck i saw this happen why it was outside the carpark, i was only saying it looks lost(to small a statue) on a big roof.
Graffiti is on every landmark in st helens and indeed the country. imho he'd have looked better on a pedistal along with other statues around the ground

itwillalwaysbewithme
3rd November 2011, 12:00

At least he will never need to be rescued should there ever be a flood like Wally did. ;)

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/01/12/1225986/655722-wally-lewis-statue.jpg

Two Wheeled Saint
3rd November 2011, 12:32
Hope it is lit up at night, that would be nice.

Saddened!
3rd November 2011, 14:06
At least he will never need to be rescued should there ever be a flood like Wally did. ;)

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/01/12/1225986/655722-wally-lewis-statue.jpg

Is it just me that sat there puzzled as to how they got the arm bands on?

andrewfsx
3rd November 2011, 14:31
Is it just me that sat there puzzled as to how they got the arm bands on?

i was also struck by that :shock:

Sadfish
3rd November 2011, 14:47
i was also struck by that :shock:

Anyone with kids knows all about velcro arms bands.

100% referee!
3rd November 2011, 16:06
has any one got any pics

Buddy
3rd November 2011, 17:01

For reference visit the dream - the lights lasted 1 night

Agent Mulder
3rd November 2011, 20:18
We could put the red Vee next to Kieron on top of the little stand.

saintjames
3rd November 2011, 20:34
Should be auctioned off...its tacky and not fit for the new stadium.

wardies love child
3rd November 2011, 21:14
has any one got any pics

Of Velcro arm bands?

Sadfish
3rd November 2011, 22:39
We could put the red Vee next to Kieron on top of the little stand.

Why not stick the mirror ball up there as well whilst you are at it!

Agent Mulder
3rd November 2011, 22:45
Why not stick the mirror ball up there as well whilst you are at it!

Good idea. ;)

Mutley
3rd November 2011, 23:19
Good idea. ;)

I think that's a great idea! and get the cineworld angels back. :)

Saints-Crusaders
3rd November 2011, 23:44
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/Saints/saints%20stadium%203/saints%20stadium%2035/c4e0d50a.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/Saints/saints%20stadium%203/saints%20stadium%2035/ebbe221e.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/Saints/saints%20stadium%203/saints%20stadium%2035/e005487f.jpg

And here's a reasonable pic of the first arch on the new bridge

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/Saints/saints%20stadium%203/saints%20stadium%2035/d104b122.jpg

wardies love child
4th November 2011, 00:03
Well done sc. I forgot closures was on through week. Looks good does the piece over footbridge.

djgazza
4th November 2011, 00:06
It looked like they were starting the fit-out of the Cafe bar earlier today

RedVee Admin
4th November 2011, 01:38
Anyone explain this?

Why is the anti-traveller embankment still up next to the Linkway, obscuring Tesco and the Stadium from view?

doghead
4th November 2011, 09:29
Anyone explain this?

Why is the anti-traveller embankment still up next to the Linkway, obscuring Tesco and the Stadium from view?

seeing as they have just re-turfed the part behind the petrol station it must be stopping up.

doghead
4th November 2011, 09:30
what time did the first arch go up SC.

Saints-Crusaders
4th November 2011, 09:53
what time did the first arch go up SC.

I don't know, someone posted a pic of it from Tesco's side, so I went down around 7ish

Gruntfuttock
4th November 2011, 10:56
Anyone explain this?

I think they have left it up to limit traffic noise from the linkway, good idea actually lets you shop in peace

Talk some sense!
4th November 2011, 11:23
Another minor question - but the trees that obscure the tesco sign from the B&Q roundabout, are they to be cut back? Seems a pointless place to put a sign featuring petrol prices if not. I for one have trouble seeing it as it stands.

doghead
4th November 2011, 11:36
Both arches are now in place on the new bridge, just started to fit the hangers as I left.

Saints-Crusaders
4th November 2011, 11:38
Both arches are now in place on the new bridge, just started to fit the hangers as I left.

Perfect timing for me to go down there then haha

Rudders
4th November 2011, 13:27
I didn't even know the first arch was up until I drove past before, luckily I had the camera in the car...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6219/6311651405_e425a8a640_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311651405/)
IMG_4001 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311651405/) by DaveRudden (http://www.flickr.com/people/daverudden/), on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6118/6311655789_c5e653c7f8_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311655789/)
IMG_4002 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311655789/) by DaveRudden (http://www.flickr.com/people/daverudden/), on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6091/6311665081_d5b9354a91_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311665081/)
IMG_4010 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311665081/) by DaveRudden (http://www.flickr.com/people/daverudden/), on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6213/6312181008_62cf78e30d_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6312181008/)
IMG_4006 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6312181008/) by DaveRudden (http://www.flickr.com/people/daverudden/), on Flickr

volls_dad
4th November 2011, 13:40
It was announced on twitter earlier this week, more details are due later in November.

Thanks - I'm not of the Twitterati!

100% referee!
4th November 2011, 15:49
I didn't even know the first arch was up until I drove past before, luckily I had the camera in the car...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6219/6311651405_e425a8a640_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311651405/)
IMG_4001 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311651405/) by DaveRudden (http://www.flickr.com/people/daverudden/), on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6118/6311655789_c5e653c7f8_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311655789/)
IMG_4002 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311655789/) by DaveRudden (http://www.flickr.com/people/daverudden/), on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6091/6311665081_d5b9354a91_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311665081/)
IMG_4010 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6311665081/) by DaveRudden (http://www.flickr.com/people/daverudden/), on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6213/6312181008_62cf78e30d_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6312181008/)
IMG_4006 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverudden/6312181008/) by DaveRudden (http://www.flickr.com/people/daverudden/), on Flickr

it doesn't really look like a ruby ball does it?

SaintPeter
4th November 2011, 15:55
it doesn't really look like a ruby ball does it?
Have you been in your chopper again!!!

100% referee!
4th November 2011, 16:17
It looked like they were starting the fit-out of the Cafe bar earlier today

has any one got any pics?

100% referee!
4th November 2011, 16:19
Have you been in your chopper again!!!
what???

SaintPeter
4th November 2011, 16:30
what???
you would have to be in a chopper looking down to see the rugby ball shape.

SaintPeter
4th November 2011, 16:31
Pics are usually done over the weekend but the stadium is finished.

Saints-Crusaders
4th November 2011, 16:35
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/7dfe1b90.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/f2e5618f.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/77ba1a58.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/024defd7.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/676776e0.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/60fa4b6d.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/6ee22398.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/c0cbe3cf.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/93e9b0a4.jpg

100% referee!
4th November 2011, 17:16
what do we all think about the new kit?http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/1370

100% referee!
4th November 2011, 17:18
how do i post pics???

Two Wheeled Saint
4th November 2011, 17:36
It looks lob sided

Sausalito
4th November 2011, 17:36
what do we all think about the new kit?http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/1370

Look under the thread that says new kit.:hm:

wardies love child
4th November 2011, 17:46
It looks lob sided

Key part of the design. It's so rain runs off where they want it to.

Saints-Crusaders
4th November 2011, 18:13
It looks lob sided

That might just have been my camera angle, I was taking pics through a fence....apart from the side on views

mattsdad
4th November 2011, 19:19
I'll apologise now,I know its a bit OT but to save myself from scouring page after page when did the club say we could collect our season tickets?

Agent Mulder
4th November 2011, 19:33
I'll apologise now,I know its a bit OT but to save myself from scouring page after page when did the club say we could collect our season tickets?

They said they would let us know - it's sometime in November I think.

Gruntfuttock
4th November 2011, 19:34
novemberish

great pics SC well done,

and it looks lobsided coe they havent tightened everything up yet , its all temporary supports , like the stadium, wait until its finihsed

100% Saint
4th November 2011, 20:05
When i went to pre-order my shirt i asked and the women said they will probably be ready at the end of November

Greengrass
4th November 2011, 20:29
I was taking pics through a fence....

Is that like Stuart Littler eating lettuce through a tennis raquet.

djgazza
4th November 2011, 22:00
That bridge is way to open to the elements, get some cladding on it lol

Two Wheeled Saint
6th November 2011, 04:57
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha brilliant....

Gruntfuttock
6th November 2011, 17:31
Not much to see on the stadium ,but some nice pictures of the bridge, still working at 5 o clock on a Sunday , really pushing on

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/neilevans57/bridge1.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/neilevans57/bridge2.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/neilevans57/bridgewelding.jpg

and for the terminally curious a picture of the Cannington Shaw kiln, which , remembering all the hoo ha during the planning process doesnt seem to have changed much since the Tesco`s was built

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i340/neilevans57/canningtonshaw.jpg

Saint Ged
6th November 2011, 17:43
I know the country is in a big recession but i think perhaps if the council could get the money from somewhere to do that bottle shop up and turn it into a place that people would pay money to go and look at they could be on to a winner after all it is history. Maybe now that there are other things around that area you might encourage some to look after all a lot of people like history, the worst thing they could do is to allow it be demolished.

stoneislander
6th November 2011, 17:59
I know the country is in a big recession but i think perhaps if the council could get the money from somewhere to do that bottle shop up and turn it into a place that people would pay money to go and look at they could be on to a winner after all it is history. Maybe now that there are other things around that area you might encourage some to look after all a lot of people like history, the worst thing they could do is to allow it be demolished.

after going to tesco today and having a quick look round the stadium , imo the bottle shop needs blowing up and the sooner the better the old ruin is a bloody eyesore

screwtinizer
6th November 2011, 18:59

Why not make it part of the 'World of (Gl)ass' attraction as they'll be linked by the Saints bridge anyway. I agree it's a holy disgrace in it's current state and if left as such will become a joke in it's newly developed surroundings. If it is such an important historical artefact (as was made clear by the preservationist-botherers during the Stadium's consultation period) then they should pull their kecks up, get themselves their own funding and do summat with the flaming thing.

100% referee!
6th November 2011, 19:39
How can i post pics saved from my computer???

oldun
6th November 2011, 19:43
after going to tesco today and having a quick look round the stadium , imo the bottle shop needs blowing up and the sooner the better the old ruin is a bloody eyesore
I do believe its classed as a listed building so unless money is forthcoming from lottery grants etc it will have to stay an eyesore

SaintPeter
6th November 2011, 19:58
I do believe its classed as a listed building so unless money is forthcoming from lottery grants etc it will have to stay an eyesore
Not really. It is a listed building, but i could buy the site or you or anyone else for that matter. But it has to be restored to original like for like quality using original materials, so it looks like it would have done when it was first built. This is only for the outside though. Inside you can do what ever you like. You can even turn it into a home.
Langtree would own it i think as it is part of the original site i think.

oldun
6th November 2011, 20:18
Not really. It is a listed building, but i could buy the site or you or anyone else for that matter. But it has to be restored to original like for like quality using original materials, so it looks like it would have done when it was first built. This is only for the outside though. Inside you can do what ever you like. You can even turn it into a home.
Like I said it would need grants to restore it or a millionare who had nothing better to spend his money on

oldshep1960
6th November 2011, 20:23
It looks lob sidedTilt yer ead then it looks reet! hahaha

Gruntfuttock
6th November 2011, 20:43
How can i post pics saved from my computer???

i did this tutorial for another forum i think it will help , photobucket looks a little different these days but the basics are the same

http://www.laurelandhardyforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1986&start=15

Saint Ged
6th November 2011, 20:46
Screwtinizer is right it is historical and the people who say flatten it remember once gone its gone and you might sell more tickets for World of Glass if people had a that also to see. bear in mind StHelens as not got much left to shout about other than Saints. You should be trying to put pressure on the Heritage society to fund the thing after all they have allready acknowledge its importance,

wardies love child
6th November 2011, 21:07

Pete I think it's heritage as well which means internals are controlled also for some parts of. I did some work on Preston railway station under similar conditions which were heritage, bloody nightmare bunch who want to tell you how to spend your money.
For those who think it should just be knocked down should think again and look back to early posts. There is some stunning cellars underneath that building. A work of art that will be never on display Unfortunatley.

I think it should be externally made good and closed off with the roof made good and then fenced off with signage showing pictures of the cellars and make it an attraction as suggested.

roy litherland
6th November 2011, 21:15
Let united glass pensions pay for it out of the shortfall's (not the word i want to use) in the company pension scheme .

alf wayliner
6th November 2011, 21:26
If it is such an important historical artefact (as was made clear by the preservationist-botherers during the Stadium's consultation period) then they should pull their kecks up, get themselves their own funding and do summat with the flaming thing.
Actually the landowners should really be living up to their responsibilities and dealing with an issue that they knew was there before they accepted ownership of the land. For the last 10 years they have done nothing with the building at all except allow to deteriorate further.

There is funding out there for projects such as this, but it is going to need a lot of private investment too and that's where it all falls down (no pun intended). It would be good if Tesco and Langtree got together and decided to do something positive with the thing as it really could be a wonderful building with lots of scope for community involvement.The World Of Glass probably won't want it to become a historical attraction as that would put it in direct competition for an already tight market!

That whole area of town is littered with sites of historical interest dating back to before the industrial revolution, it's just a pity that most of them have been destroyed in the name of progress or abandoned due to cost. The Sankey Canal is a classic case in point as the area round where the new bridge is was once the site of a southern spur of the canal that served Peasley Cross Colliery. There were numerous swing bridges and locks on the canal that were engineering wonders, unfortunatley most are now gone including the first set of stepped locks ever built.

What's your point I hear you say, well the Sankey Canal is really the first true canal of the industrial age (despite the Bridgewater's claims) and without it the town of St Helens would not have developed into the industrial centre that it did do and no doubt wouldn't have attracted the likes of Herr Herman and we wouldn't have a club at all in that case!

The bottle shop is the ony surviving building of it's type in the UK (probably the world) and it really would be a shame for the town to be guilty of allowing another piece of heritage to dissapear in a dust cloud.

I'm sure there'll be "modernists" out there who'll dismiss the whole idea of preserving a pile of old bricks as something abhorrent but once they've gone, you can't bring them back! Perhaps we should be asking a little more from Langtree and Tesco?

forward ref
6th November 2011, 21:29
Well said Alf, I agree. Surely The World of Glass should be putting in a bid to the lottery to at least secure the outside and weather proof it.

100% referee!
6th November 2011, 21:30
i did this tutorial for another forum i think it will help , photobucket looks a little different these days but the basics are the same

http://www.laurelandhardyforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1986&start=15

What do I do??

100% Saint
6th November 2011, 21:57
What do I do??

Goto Photobucket, register thats if you haven't already, upload pictures onto photobucket. Once you have done that select the picture you want to put on here, there should be 4 links to choose from, the best one to choose would be the img code or the direct link one.

HTH

Paul Newlove
6th November 2011, 22:26
I've always said the bottle shop would make a cracking pub with a circular bar and just over the new bridge,can't see that happening now with Tesco car park being there,although it could be in Tesco's interest to buy it and convert it into some sort of cafe/bar,not that the Tesco company will need the money (of which would be a drop in the ocean to them) but It would remove an 'eyesore' which I'm sure they won't be happy about it being so close to the store.

wardies love child
6th November 2011, 23:35
I'm sure the heritage people wanted over 2.5 million to do stuff on it. It was posted on here early doors. If memory is correct they were against the tesco and ground unless they got the cash to do it up.

Saint Ged
6th November 2011, 23:49
Well said , i would reccomend everyone read and take in what he has said all the things that people talk about now that used to be there, for goodness sake StHelens was the "world Centre "of the glas making industry, a pile of rubble is just that but history governs the future you cannot talk to people about things that used to be the same has you can about the way things are. When it is gone it is gone but it is part of Sthelens history.Imagine if you can that bottle shop being put back to what it was and then people from afar coming to the new stadium and then asking," what is that", you may need to employ guides even.

Gruntfuttock
7th November 2011, 07:28
I've always said the bottle shop would make a cracking pub with a circular bar and just over the new bridge,can't see that happening now with Tesco car park being there,although it could be in Tesco's interest to buy it and convert it into some sort of cafe/bar,not that the Tesco company will need the money (of which would be a drop in the ocean to them) but It would remove an 'eyesore' which I'm sure they won't be happy about it being so close to the store.

to be honest from the store you cant see it because of all the trees and plants in front of it , so I dont think Tescos will be too bothered, i do agree that we should try and take care of our heritage as there is little enough of it left due to the town centre clearance of the 70`s BUT in these economic times there are better things to spend our money on, the finance simply isnt there,and like i say I seriously doubt Tescos would be interested its covered and doesnt detract from the store

alf wayliner
7th November 2011, 09:28
I'm sure the heritage people wanted over 2.5 million to do stuff on it. It was posted on here early doors. If memory is correct they were against the tesco and ground unless they got the cash to do it up.
English Heritage is an advisory body and has a statutory role in planning processes where structures such as listed buildngs are involved. It doesn't ask for the cash, it stipulates what should be done with the buildings in question.

The bottle shop was given protected status in the mid 1980s, everyone involved in the new stadium project has pretty much treated it as an elephant in the corner and, especially the landowners, chose to not do anything with it so far.

The responsibility for the bottle shop rests solely with Langtree as the owners at the moment. I'm not sure what the financial penalties are for allowing a scheduled ancient monument to fall into such a bad state that it either has to be demolished or falls down, but I'd hazard a guess that it's a lot less than the cost of making it secure. I'd wager that Langtree have a cost benefit analysis based on these scenarios somewhere!

I wonder how many of the 1,200 people who used to work at Cannington Shaw were Saints fans?

Oh and my suggestion for the new stadium name Cannington Oval

djdegsy
7th November 2011, 10:10
hi guys, without going through loads of posts,when is the bridge expected to be finished,sorry if its been asked lately.

Sadfish
7th November 2011, 10:56
English Heritage is an advisory body and has a statutory role in planning processes where structures such as listed buildngs are involved. It doesn't ask for the cash, it stipulates what should be done with the buildings in question.

The bottle shop was given protected status in the mid 1980s, everyone involved in the new stadium project has pretty much treated it as an elephant in the corner and, especially the landowners, chose to not do anything with it so far.

The responsibility for the bottle shop rests solely with Langtree as the owners at the moment. I'm not sure what the financial penalties are for allowing a scheduled ancient monument to fall into such a bad state that it either has to be demolished or falls down, but I'd hazard a guess that it's a lot less than the cost of making it secure. I'd wager that Langtree have a cost benefit analysis based on these scenarios somewhere!

I wonder how many of the 1,200 people who used to work at Cannington Shaw were Saints fans?

Oh and my suggestion for the new stadium name Cannington Oval

Just pull it down, they pulled down Knowsley Road and that had FAR more sentiment in the town than this place.

Gruntfuttock
7th November 2011, 11:54
hi guys, without going through loads of posts,when is the bridge expected to be finished,sorry if its been asked lately.

I think its been said a couple of weeks , I havent heard a concrete finishing date but as you can se they are making good progress on it

Windle Lad
7th November 2011, 13:06
See season tickets still seem to be ticking over. Looks like block I in the South will almost certainly be sold out for Christmas (or maybe end of the Early Bird deadline). This would mean at least 6 of the 7 allocated seating blocks in the South would be sold out several weeks before the Season starts. Block C on the other end is slower to move but this still offers a great spec, and seats are starting to go. Hope it keeps going!

Buddy
7th November 2011, 13:09
Just pull it down, they pulled down Knowsley Road and that had FAR more sentiment in the town than this place.

I agree, I paid my first visit to tesco at the weekend and it just looks a mess

SaintPeter
7th November 2011, 13:24
Theres a lot of activity at the bridge doing landscaping and also in the phase 2 area there is a lot activity with diggers and tippers.

forward ref
7th November 2011, 14:54

So you think there's no value in the town's industrial heritage?

Buddy
7th November 2011, 14:57

http://www.worldofglass.com/ makes much more sense than a derelict building

forward ref
7th November 2011, 14:57
I agree, I paid my first visit to tesco at the weekend and it just looks a mess

Of course it looks a mess. It's been neglected so that it looks a mess just so people like you will say "it looks a mess". Although it has to be balanced as standing next that building of architectural brilliance and great worth - Tesco.

forward ref
7th November 2011, 15:01
http://www.worldofglass.com/ makes much more sense than a derelict building

The world of glass was a derelict building once.

Buddy
7th November 2011, 15:07

So there is no need to repeat the process.

I am very proud of this towns hertiage and am fascinated by the industrial revolution, so be careful of pidgeon-holeing people you know nothing about. But I genuinly do not buy into the significance of this building

forward ref
7th November 2011, 15:16
Did I pigeon hole you?

Sadfish
7th November 2011, 15:21

I think you've answered your own question here.

My family are all from the Glass industry in the town and 1 specific family member was a pioneer in the town at the start of it all, but this means little to all that and money will just be wasted on it when there are far more pressing things to spend money on.

Pull it down.

100% referee!
7th November 2011, 15:43
Goto Photobucket, register thats if you haven't already, upload pictures onto photobucket. Once you have done that select the picture you want to put on here, there should be 4 links to choose from, the best one to choose would be the img code or the direct link one.

HTH

Thanks mate!

KentishBarry
7th November 2011, 15:46
Pull it down.

Philistine!

Sadfish
7th November 2011, 16:15
Philistine!

Is that near Kentucky?

Saint Ged
7th November 2011, 16:39
Some time in the future people are going to ask why is there nothing left of the history of Sthelens, just tell them nobody was bothered enough to look after it.

Geoggy
7th November 2011, 17:02
after walking around the town centre on Friday afternoon I think there are some other priorities the council have before they look at doing anything to the bottle shop.

Like asking themselves why they can't attract decent retailers to the town. Not even getting pound shops now - 99p store where Woolies was is a disgrace.

What hapenned to the plans to "do up" the bottom of the town centre and link in old Tesco as a department store? Debenhams was mentioned? Is that just going to sit there now, whilst 99p shops and all you can eat buffets spring up in every night spot that's gone bust (or never opened).

Talk some sense!
7th November 2011, 17:10
after walking around the town centre on Friday afternoon I think there are some other priorities the council have before they look at doing anything to the bottle shop.

Like asking themselves why they can't attract decent retailers to the town. Not even getting pound shops now - 99p store where Woolies was is a disgrace.

What hapenned to the plans to "do up" the bottom of the town centre and link in old Tesco as a department store? Debenhams was mentioned? Is that just going to sit there now, whilst 99p shops and all you can eat buffets spring up in every night spot that's gone bust (or never opened).

Fill your boots.....:-)

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthread.php?20222-How-would-you-further-improve-the-Town

Saints-Crusaders
7th November 2011, 18:29
Some time in the future people are going to ask why is there nothing left of the history of Sthelens, just tell them nobody was bothered enough to look after it.

As much as the history is important, I think the present is far more important and as such, would rather see money be spent on improving the town and it's residents, so we have a chance of a better future for our kids, grand kids and their kids

Herman
7th November 2011, 21:47
What I think the town need is competition. Refurbish the the bottling plant and open it as a 98p shop.

Dicko
7th November 2011, 23:26
They should get Tony Robinson and his Time Team down to dig it out half the job would be done then to tidy it up.

forward ref
8th November 2011, 09:29
There is either a lot of ignorance about how these things are funded or some people are purposely being a bit naughty about what they are saying.

If funding is found for this it is highly likely it will not come by local council money. Funding for this sort of thing usually comes by interested parties making bids for European money or Lottery money etc. This money is ring-fenced for this sort of thing and can't be spent on other projects such as bringing in bigger brand name shops.

If St Helens doesn't bid for and receive these funds then it will only go elsewhere, maybe to save some old water tower on the South Downs or an old railway station in Stuttgart.

What is missing here is an organised local body with the will to get to grips with the intricacies of this and get the bids in. It probably needs to be led by the land owners, along with people like the World of Glass and an existing local volunteer preservation group.

If you are really interested in how this sort of thing works then enquire into how the council along with the Friends of Victoria Park have just managed to succesfully bid for a substantial sum of money to refurbish the park.

I do find it quite shocking how St Helens has let so much of its early industrial archeaology disapear.

Sadfish and Buddy (and anyone else really) I'd be intersted to hear why you think this particular unique part of the glass process is not worth saving. Are there better examples elsewhere in the UK?

Sausalito
8th November 2011, 10:13
I have had a look at all Grade1 & Grade 2 listed buildings on Merseyside and can't see it in either category?

If it is a listed building, it cannot be knocked down.
From what I can gather, the Listing covers all parts of the building, including the interior. Any outbuildings, boundary walls that are within it's boundaries?
where are it's boundaries??
Hope it's not on the halfway line. LOL

KentishBarry
8th November 2011, 10:20
I have had a look at all Grade1 & Grade 2 listed buildings on Merseyside and can't see it in either category?

http://www.biab.ac.uk/issues/53468

KentishBarry
8th November 2011, 10:26
...And this...

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-216382-bottle-shop-at-former-ravenhead-glass-bo

Buddy
8th November 2011, 10:59
There is either a lot of ignorance about how these things are funded or some people are purposely being a bit naughty about what they are saying.

If funding is found for this it is highly likely it will not come by local council money. Funding for this sort of thing usually comes by interested parties making bids for European money or Lottery money etc. This money is ring-fenced for this sort of thing and can't be spent on other projects such as bringing in bigger brand name shops.

If St Helens doesn't bid for and receive these funds then it will only go elsewhere, maybe to save some old water tower on the South Downs or an old railway station in Stuttgart.

What is missing here is an organised local body with the will to get to grips with the intricacies of this and get the bids in. It probably needs to be led by the land owners, along with people like the World of Glass and an existing local volunteer preservation group.

If you are really interested in how this sort of thing works then enquire into how the council along with the Friends of Victoria Park have just managed to succesfully bid for a substantial sum of money to refurbish the park.

I do find it quite shocking how St Helens has let so much of its early industrial archeaology disapear.

Sadfish and Buddy (and anyone else really) I'd be intersted to hear why you think this particular unique part of the glass process is not worth saving. Are there better examples elsewhere in the UK?

Well for a start, a contempory of the bottle shop has just been knocked down to make way for a new housing estate!! If it is to be left like it is then it needs to go, all we have done is give access to it via a foorbridge for all the town knobs and it wont be long before it is on fire.

doghead
8th November 2011, 11:08
the Barr porta cabins are being taken off site this morning, both lanes are open under the new bridge, and traffic is flowing ok.

Sadfish
8th November 2011, 11:29

AS i've already said Knowlsey Road was far more worth saving as an historic monument than this place.

What defines this heap as worth saving more than KR?

KR meant more to more people and was better known in the town and around the country than this place, it beggars belief why anyone or any body would waste money on this place. Fair enough turn it into something, but the money could really be better spent on regeneration of the town or even some of the suburban areas around this eyesore.

Albion
8th November 2011, 11:33
If the building isn't (or going to be) utilised to show off its heritage (which is doubtful due to the massive cost) then genuinely what is the point of it still being there?

Saint Ged
8th November 2011, 11:38
With regards to "forward ref" i think without going back to it in my first post i said i think Sthelens council should try in some way to in some way get the old bottle shop regenerated anyway words to that effect, so that ties in exactly with what you have just posted. There are not many things in Sthelens now that people can say is the most original in the United kingdom, you are the one who his talking along the right lines. when people get interested things happen and it does not really have to cost the council anything other than showing the interest.
Like i said in the original people come from all over the world to look at Britains history and that is part of Britans and StHelens history.

KentishBarry
8th November 2011, 11:46

Because KR wasn't described as 'the best surviving example in Britain of a sports stadium', maybe? ;)

forward ref
8th November 2011, 11:58
AS i've already said Knowlsey Road was far more worth saving as an historic monument than this place.

KR meant more to more people and was better known in the town and around the country than this place, it beggars belief why anyone or any body would waste money on this place. Fair enough turn it into something, but the money could really be better spent on regeneration of the town or even some of the suburban areas around this eyesore.

Do you really mean that? KR should have saved as an historical monument? Anyway, please reread all of my post and how the funding for this sort of thing works. Funding to save and restore historical monuments can't just be transfered to 'regeneration' projects. But I suspect you already know that and insist on playing to the gallery instead.

Buddy, I don't understand your line of argument. Are you talking about a similar unique part of the glass making industry? Also, "if it is left like it is", what does that mean within the discussion of an organised bid to not leave it like it is?

The argument for not preserving anything because 'nobs' might burn it down is a very defeatist one. You may well be right, in which case lets switch off the light on the town and all move out.

KentishBarry
8th November 2011, 11:58
Can we start a new sticky 'Bottle shop watch' thread? ;)

Seriously. I'm not familiar with it's location on the site.
It's obviously protected from demolition.
Is it going to cause problems for the club?

ploughman
8th November 2011, 12:32

It wont cause problems for the club,but its situated at the end of the footbridge as you walk towards tesco and the stadium.You have to pass it.It just looks a complete blot on the landscape when the rest of the area looks so smart and tidy.

luckysaint
8th November 2011, 12:38

There could be some examples of bottle stores / shops elsewhere. I deal with a few people that make glass containers as I work for a drinks manufacturers, there may be something similar in the Castleford / Knottingly area where there are several companies that are still making glass bottles. I will ask some questions with some people who will know.

Buddy
8th November 2011, 12:41
Do you really mean that? KR should have saved as an historical monument? Anyway, please reread all of my post and how the funding for this sort of thing works. Funding to save and restore historical monuments can't just be transfered to 'regeneration' projects. But I suspect you already know that and insist on playing to the gallery instead.

Buddy, I don't understand your line of argument. Are you talking about a similar unique part of the glass making industry? Also, "if it is left like it is", what does that mean within the discussion of an organised bid to not leave it like it is?

The argument for not preserving anything because 'nobs' might burn it down is a very defeatist one. You may well be right, in which case lets switch off the light on the town and all move out.

No I was referring to the stadium, which was built within a decade or so of the bottleshop and has played a bigger part in the towns heritage.

And yes I have become defeatist, mainly due to the idiots who populate our town and destroy anything we wish to make nice

stroger
8th November 2011, 12:47
What about cladding on it?

Two Wheeled Saint
8th November 2011, 13:20
Do we know where the wall is that will have the legend tiles on?

Delboy
8th November 2011, 14:09

Somewhere in the North Stand. I think it will be in the concourse area. I've bought a tile for my Dad and i'm thinking it's not going to be situated on the outside wall as
there would be the potential of it being damaged!

The Verminator
8th November 2011, 15:50

Have a watch of these three videos to get an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwidA9wTWdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGo-dUH37dU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUg_u6lvb_k

Video 3 in particular will answer your question.

Something needs to be done about the building, it is what it is - an eyesore. It either needs restoring or demolishing. I personally would like to see it somehow incorporated into the World of Glass and fully restored. But there's no way the club, the council, Langtree or Tesco should pay for it. Heritage went screaming about it when the plans were put in place for Tesco and the stadium, so they should go racing to their pockets. Saints do enough (everything) for this town as it is without paying for stuff like that as well.

Agent Mulder
8th November 2011, 17:16
Been under the new bridge today as the road is now open.It looks great and when finished it will be superb.

nlwsaint
8th November 2011, 18:42

Somewhere in the North Stand. I think it will be in the concourse area. I've bought a tile for my Dad and i'm thinking it's not going to be situated on the outside wall as
there would be the potential of it being damaged!

I bought a tile for my Dad last week. I asked where the wall would be situated & was told that it is not inside the stadium but a wall outside so that anyone wanting to view the names would not have to wait for a match to be played to see them. Makes more sense as otherwise, for 3 months of the year, there would be no access at all.

Agent Mulder
8th November 2011, 19:31
At Widnes it is on the inside of the concourse in the North Stand. I presumed ours would be similar but it looks not to be.

Saint Ged
8th November 2011, 19:40
I would have thought that maybe the local clowns could rip them off but Warringtons are outside.

100% referee!
8th November 2011, 22:32

getting boring can we talk about the stadium after all it is called STADIUM WATCH

But on the subject i think that they should keep the bottle store where it is and try and refurb it but they should definitely not knock it down its st helens history one of the only pieces left

100% Saint
8th November 2011, 23:12
Pictures of what though? the stadium is finished, all that needs to be done is the fitting out and the rest of the cladding around the stadium. If this thread is still here come January for the new game, no doubt pictures will be flooding on here.

oldun
8th November 2011, 23:24
How about on the Old Bottle Shop

saintjames
9th November 2011, 12:24
After the historic first game announcement you would have to assume that the cladding work will be complete by Jan 20.

Div
9th November 2011, 13:12
BBC RL homepage has article about the Saints V Widnes game at the new stadium but still shows an artist sketch of the new ground. Surely they can do better than that now ?!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/default.stm

100% referee!
9th November 2011, 17:37
BBC RL homepage as article about the Saints V Widnes game at the new stadium but still shows an artist ssketch of the new ground. Surely they can do better than that now ?!!

agree

100% Saint
9th November 2011, 17:38
BBC RL homepage as article about the Saints V Widnes game at the new stadium but still shows an artist ssketch of the new ground. Surely they can do better than that now ?!!

Don't forget it is the BBC, they can't even spell things right on there half of the time.

100% referee!
9th November 2011, 17:53
when is the club badge going on the main stand?

Wallasey Saint
9th November 2011, 22:23
I do think the Stands should be named after Saints great players & or Managers over the years, i hate North, East Stand ecc, too unimaginative & far too common.

100% referee!
9th November 2011, 23:16
I do think the Stands should be named after Saints great players & or Managers over the years, i hate North, East Stand ecc, too unimaginative & far too common.

2 stands are sponsored and named by hattons solicitors

E Saint
9th November 2011, 23:39

I know the West Stand is, but not seen any news about them sponsoring another????

parrsaint
10th November 2011, 00:59

I have read with interest some of the points made about the derelict Cannington Shaw bottle Kiln and I too find it sad that people just want to pull it down.
Regardless of its current condition and what some posters have suggested, it won't ever be pulled down because of its status as a listed building and a scheduled ancient monument. If nothing is done with it it will fall down of its ow accord before it gets pulled down. Legally nobody can demolish it.

As taken from the Guidance on Ancient Scheduled Monuments by English Heritage:

"It is a criminal offence to destroy or damage a scheduled monument either intentionally or through recklessness. It is also a criminal offence to carry out or to permit others to carry out unauthorised works to a scheduled monument, i.e. works undertaken without Scheduled Monument or Class Consent. As noted above, where Scheduled Monument Consent has been granted subject to conditions, it is an offence to fail to comply with those conditions when implementing that consent.
The use of metal detecting equipment on a scheduled site is illegal without the written consent of English Heritage, as is the removal of objects found by detection equipment.

Where a criminal offence is suspected, English Heritage may choose to investigate with a view to prosecution or to refer the matter to the police and to the Crown Prosecution Service. A conviction for any of these offences can lead to a fine and, in respect of intentional or reckless damage or destruction of a monument, a fine and/or imprisonment.

Yes it does look a mess and something does need to be done to improve it. The best option would be for a Heritage Lottery Grant in the same way that Taylor Park and more recently Victoria Park have been successfully granted Heritage Lottery Funding in working towards large restoration projects. Its a difficult and time consuming process getting the money. Both the Friends of Taylor Park and Victoria Park respectively campaigned for several years and I personally how hard know the Friends of Victoria Park worked with the Council in order to obtain the necessary funding.

Sadfish
10th November 2011, 05:04
Yes it does look a mess and something does need to be done to improve it. The best option would be for a Heritage Lottery Grant in the same way that Taylor Park and more recently Victoria Park have been successfully granted Heritage Lottery Funding in working towards large restoration projects. Its a difficult and time consuming process getting the money. Both the Friends of Taylor Park and Victoria Park respectively campaigned for several years and I personally how hard know the Friends of Victoria Park worked with the Council in order to obtain the necessary funding.

So no money is forthcoming?

Is anyone actually putting bids in for money?

If not, and if there is no plans to put in bids, as you say it will fall down before it can be renovated, so at some point, there is a choice to be made.

Gruntfuttock
10th November 2011, 07:25
I know the West Stand is, but not seen any news about them sponsoring another????

yes they are sponsoring the west terrace and the nw corner family stand

ploughman
10th November 2011, 07:28

They put a lot of money into Rugby League,not just Saints.Well done Hattons.

ThorntonSaint
10th November 2011, 08:39
There are more pics of the stadium on the breaking and entering trespassers forum when they got in last month.

http://www.trespassers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65767&page=2 (http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65767&page=2)

RedVee Admin
10th November 2011, 09:51
Yes, we already know about the trespassers and I see no need to promote their illegal activities. Also, technically, you are breaching RedVee rules too by posting a link to them. So lets not give them the time of day, eh?

ONE stand: the West, incorporating the home fans terracing and the SW corner family seating.

Of all the people on here, thought you'd be the best to know there's nowt in the NW corner! ;)

forward ref
10th November 2011, 11:26

If not, and if there is no plans to put in bids, as you say it will fall down before it can be renovated, so at some point, there is a choice to be made.

Unlike the park successful bids there is no 'Friends of the Bottle Shop'. Possibly the reason for this is it's been hidden from view and you had to trespass to get near it. Maybe now that people can see it they will start asking questions. I would hope that a group could come together to work alongside the council and the WoG to put a together a bid. However, as a generalisation, I'd say the people of Saint Helens are not that bothered about this industrial heritage stuff so I'm not sure how it will go. Pity really, because once it's gone it's gone forever.

It's definitely an eye-sore as it stands.

I'd join a volunteer group who wish to develop this.

ThorntonSaint
10th November 2011, 11:32
Yes, we already know about the trespassers and I see no need to promote their illegal activities. Also, technically, you are breaching RedVee rules too by posting a link to them. So lets not give them the time of day, eh?

Apologies, didn't realise as no-one really mentioned anything last time someone posted something (or at least I didn't see it).

Gruntfuttock
10th November 2011, 11:58
Of all the people on here, thought you'd be the best to know there's nowt in the NW corner! ;)

OOOPS of course i meant the SW !!!:wub::whistling:

hazzo21
10th November 2011, 12:09
Unlike the park successful bids there is no 'Friends of the Bottle Shop'. Possibly the reason for this is it's been hidden from view and you had to trespass to get near it. Maybe now that people can see it they will start asking questions. I would hope that a group could come together to work alongside the council and the WoG to put a together a bid. However, as a generalisation, I'd say the people of Saint Helens are not that bothered about this industrial heritage stuff so I'm not sure how it will go. Pity really, because once it's gone it's gone forever.

It's definitely an eye-sore as it stands.

I'd join a volunteer group who wish to develop this.

Not being from St. Helens and having not seen this part of the town, I havent really got an opinion either way.
However you seem to have strong feelings on the matter.
Therefore why dont you create a group and try to take it forward rather than relying on other people.
If you dont feel strongly enough to do so then really you arent much different to those who say just pull it down!!

forward ref
10th November 2011, 13:06
If you dont feel strongly enough to do so then really you arent much different to those who say just pull it down!!
I'm so glad there are people around to give me assessments on my character. Thank You.

hazzo21
10th November 2011, 13:28
I'm so glad there are people around to give me assessments on my character. Thank You.

No problem!! ;-)

Put it another way and I will ask a simple question...
As you feel so strongly about this, why dont you set up an organisation/group to campaign for this to be restored?

Sceptical Ste
10th November 2011, 13:58

Here is the plan for the Cannington shaw bottle shop, pages 30 & 31.

http://llpgport.oltps.sthelens.gov.uk:8080/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=139776

Saint Ged
10th November 2011, 16:21
Well mmmmmmy understanding of that and i do not intend to pretend to be expert, but experts somewhere know the value of the S.A.M. and the Council would like to get the money to put it back as it used to be, so the Heritage people need to be brought in as soon as possible.

dermatome
10th November 2011, 16:28

dermatome
10th November 2011, 16:29

)

In what way was their activy illegal - no laws were broken, its just because the previous poster chose to use the words breaking and entering - go and have a look at that website (which, for those that have yet to click the link is not called what it appears to be here - the title has been altered for dramatic effect by thorntonsaint)

Urban explorers go into lots of interesting places - but they do no break in, and unless our new stadium is actually a train station/line, an MOD building, a munitions site or a public utility they have not commited any criminal act.

I for one quite enjoyed seeing the pics.

Saints-Crusaders
10th November 2011, 16:51
A few pics of the bridge from yesterday

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/saints%20bridge%202/1ca5b0e1.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/saints%20bridge%202/dba31071.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/saints%20bridge%202/604400c6.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/saints%20bridge%202/fc1e4476.jpg

100% referee!
10th November 2011, 17:31
A few pics of the bridge from yesterday

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/saints%20bridge%202/1ca5b0e1.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/saints%20bridge%202/dba31071.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/saints%20bridge%202/604400c6.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Cliff1967/saints%20bridge/saints%20bridge%202/fc1e4476.jpg

Are they painting the arches red??

doghead
10th November 2011, 17:41
the arches will be white.

100% referee!
10th November 2011, 18:48
ok

the arches will be white.

KentishBarry
10th November 2011, 19:23
Have a watch of these three videos to get an idea:

Something needs to be done about the building, it is what it is - an eyesore. It either needs restoring or demolishing. I personally would like to see it somehow incorporated into the World of Glass and fully restored. But there's no way the club, the council, Langtree or Tesco should pay for it. Heritage went screaming about it when the plans were put in place for Tesco and the stadium, so they should go racing to their pockets. Saints do enough (everything) for this town as it is without paying for stuff like that as well.

Thanks mate.
Loved the walk round. Could almost smell it!

Regards the bottle shop, I agree with you. Stuff like that is always worth preserving IMO, but this shouldn't be a problem for the club (unless they took it on as part of the original deal to build there!).

For all of you who say 'pull it down', that isn't going to happen because of its protected status.
If it falls down, it will still be protected, just a bigger ruin than it is now!

RedVee Admin
10th November 2011, 21:00
In what way was their activy illegal - no laws were broken

They did not have any PPE. Breaches of H&SE regulations are a crime in the UK.

wardies love child
10th November 2011, 21:29
I have read with interest some of the points made about the derelict Cannington Shaw bottle Kiln and I too find it sad that people just want to pull it down.
Regardless of its current condition and what some posters have suggested, it won't ever be pulled down because of its status as a listed building and a scheduled ancient monument. If nothing is done with it it will fall down of its ow accord before it gets pulled down. Legally nobody can demolish it.

As taken from the Guidance on Ancient Scheduled Monuments by English Heritage:

"It is a criminal offence to destroy or damage a scheduled monument either intentionally or through recklessness. It is also a criminal offence to carry out or to permit others to carry out unauthorised works to a scheduled monument, i.e. works undertaken without Scheduled Monument or Class Consent. As noted above, where Scheduled Monument Consent has been granted subject to conditions, it is an offence to fail to comply with those conditions when implementing that consent.
The use of metal detecting equipment on a scheduled site is illegal without the written consent of English Heritage, as is the removal of objects found by detection equipment.

Where a criminal offence is suspected, English Heritage may choose to investigate with a view to prosecution or to refer the matter to the police and to the Crown Prosecution Service. A conviction for any of these offences can lead to a fine and, in respect of intentional or reckless damage or destruction of a monument, a fine and/or imprisonment.

Criminal offence is right. My boss and architect were taken in and cautioned for removing the remaining 1m2 of latted plaster from a wall of about 30m2 at stoke station. They'd been warned previous day it had to stay and to be patched around. Soon as she left we had it down boarded and skimmed. She came back lol and caught us in the act.

wardies love child
10th November 2011, 21:38
They did not have any PPE. Breaches of H&SE regulations are a crime in the UK.

They can negate the PPE out with a risk assessment but doubt they did that seeing as they were trespassing in first place lol.

dermatome
11th November 2011, 07:25
They can negate the PPE out with a risk assessment but doubt they did that seeing as they were trespassing in first place lol.

Well no one can make anyone use ppe if they are not employed to be there, and trespass is not a criminal act.

By all means you are welcome to not like the fact that they went where we havent been - but if you are going to moan about - then you need to get the facts right :\

ThorntonSaint
11th November 2011, 07:28
In what way was their activy illegal - no laws were broken, its just because the previous poster chose to use the words breaking and entering - go and have a look at that website (which, for those that have yet to click the link is not called what it appears to be here - the title has been altered for dramatic effect by thorntonsaint)

Urban explorers go into lots of interesting places - but they do no break in, and unless our new stadium is actually a train station/line, an MOD building, a munitions site or a public utility they have not commited any criminal act.

I for one quite enjoyed seeing the pics.

FYI my post was adjusted an a lot of the post that remains was not my own work. However I agree that this was moderated correctly.

RedVee Admin
11th November 2011, 09:37
Well no one can make anyone use ppe if they are not employed to be there, and trespass is not a criminal act.

By all means you are welcome to not like the fact that they went where we havent been - but if you are going to moan about - then you need to get the facts right :\
Frankly, I couldn't give a crap whether they actually broke any laws or whether my facts are 100% accurate - they should not have been there. They deliberately went to the stadium, in the middle of the night, with the full intention of gaining access: as far as I'm concerned they are no different to burglars and I will not promote their activities on my website.

SaintPeter
11th November 2011, 10:17
Frankly, I couldn't give a crap whether they actually broke any laws or whether my facts are 100% accurate - they should not have been there. They deliberately went to the stadium, in the middle of the night, with the full intention of gaining access: as far as I'm concerned they are no different to burglars and I will not promote their activities on my website.
Wouldn't surprise me if dermatome was one of the people who was tresspassing. Also you wouldn't walk in to a strangers house if the doors were left open, regardless of your reasons.

EcclesMark
11th November 2011, 11:45
Walked right round the stadium for the first time yesterday, I was totally in awe. Had a sneaky look through the big doors under the score board and it is going to be an incredible arena for rugby. The angle of terracing and seating means both good views but still close to the action. The roof will also keep atmosphere in the stadium and I hope we'll be able to recreate the noise from the pop that drove the lads on to success so often at the old lady.

The landscaping around the stadium is excellent and lends the feeling of a park rather than a stadium stuck in a superstore car park or industrial estate.

Something that struck me was the side of the TESCO store (nearest the approach to the stadium) which is at the moment a big white wall, I wonder how easy/ expensive it would be to have a mural on that wall? A depiction of past players in action or better still a view of Knowsley road to link the old to the new eras would be incredible. Could be done on something like a tarp or material then hung rather than directly onto the store if they were not keen on the permanent option and enable other images to be used.

NB this is also an advertising opportunity should the club/ TESCO agree it's use!

bring_back_the_biff
11th November 2011, 12:38
Planning permission has been finally granted for the cladding, hopefully this will commence very soon :)

http://llpgport.oltps.sthelens.gov.uk:8080/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=86039

wardies love child
11th November 2011, 12:55

Well initially put your reading glasses on and point out were I said trespassing is a criminal act. Where have I moaned about anything they did. Oh and what makes you think they've been where I haven't.
What I did state is they ( people) can negate PPE requirements by way of a risk assessment. FACT.

ThorntonSaint
11th November 2011, 13:15
Planning permission has been finally granted for the cladding, hopefully this will commence very soon :)

http://llpgport.oltps.sthelens.gov.uk:8080/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=86039

Awesome. More stadium pics when the cladding goes up. At least Gruntfuttock has a job as Redvee photographer for a little longer.

ThorntonSaint
11th November 2011, 13:17

I notice it says the decision is "Grant with conditions." Any way of finding out what these conditions are?

SaintPeter
11th November 2011, 13:21
I notice it says the decision is "Grant with conditions." Any way of finding out what these conditions are?
They will be h&s related