PDA

View Full Version : Soliola

OoOGazOoO
2nd October 2011, 11:38
Last night showed exactly what he brings to us.

I think he has been criticised a lot this year, by some people, which is undeserved.

The try saving tackle on Hanson, was brilliant, his defence is excellent, and he is a strong runner.

Ok, he looks absolutely knackered half the time, but he is a very good player, who gets through a lot of work.

Very important member of the team.

jefmeister2004
2nd October 2011, 11:41
Definately, he was putting it about last nite defense and in go forward, great to see

wardies love child
2nd October 2011, 11:43
He looks knackered at kick off like jammer does. Up hill paper round I think

Saddened!
2nd October 2011, 12:55
He looks knackered at kick off like jammer does. Up hill paper round I think

It's just his running style. He has a fantastic engine on him.

phil265
2nd October 2011, 12:59
He has had a good season. Out of interest how many more years is he contracted to us?

rally
2nd October 2011, 13:03
Soliola is a beast!

OoOGazOoO
2nd October 2011, 13:10
He has had a good season. Out of interest how many more years is he contracted to us?

He's got another year after this one.

reliable sauce
2nd October 2011, 13:13
I am glad you posted this thread, i came on here to post basically the same thing.

I really don't understand why he doesn't get the praise he deserves, he was absolutely amazing for us last night.
He always gets us out of awkward situations with great runs, and his tackling is awesome. The second half of this season especially he has been my favourite player, putting in outstanding performances.
He has a terrific engine for the amount of work he does.

He is contracted till the end of next season, I really hope he stays, he has been a terrific player for us this season, can't see us finding a better replacement.

phil265
2nd October 2011, 13:42
Fingers crossed we can tie him down for another couple of seasons.

Agent Mulder
2nd October 2011, 13:45
Fingers crossed we can tie him down for another couple of seasons.

Hope so and he is still quite young as well.

fishy3005
2nd October 2011, 13:54
hes really grown on me. hes a handfull for defences and his tackles can be brutal. also, early in the season he was guilty of mis reading the plays in defence and leaving gaps in the line by picking the wrong man, but he seems to of cut that out. keep it up soli!!

reliable sauce
2nd October 2011, 13:59
Hope so and he is still quite young as well.

He's only just turned 25.

I hope we can tie him down with a good contract

Ace Face
2nd October 2011, 18:04
He is quickly becoming my favorite player. Love the way he clobbers everyone he comes into contact with. He was kissing the badge last night at the end which would suggest he would be up for staying around for a few more years.

rally
2nd October 2011, 18:19
He is quickly becoming my favorite player. Love the way he clobbers everyone he comes into contact with. He was kissing the badge last night at the end which would suggest he would be up for staying around for a few more years.

I with you on that mate. One of my favourites in the saints team and you got to love his big hits. Fingers crossed he'll be with us for a long time.

Lex
2nd October 2011, 18:25
I with you on that mate. One of my favourites in the saints team and you got to love his big hits. Fingers crossed he'll be with us for a long time.

Will second that, its a must that the board sit him down next season and commit him to a new contract. By the way dave, tried to PM you, you need to clear some space before you can receive it.

rally
2nd October 2011, 18:27
Will second that, its a must that the board sit him down next season and commit him to a new contract. By the way dave, tried to PM you, you need to clear some space before you can receive it.

That's for letting me know mate. I'll clear a few messages now :)

OoOGazOoO
26th February 2012, 09:05
Just bumping an old thread of mine.

Sia is a favourite of mine, and i think it is about giving credit where it's due.

He has started this season really well, and has really put some good stints in going forward this season so far.

He's playing really well so far and hope he keeps it up, he is a very important player for us, going forward and in defence.

paulscnthorpe
26th February 2012, 09:44
Always interesting to read old threads. Here's one for you;

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthread.php?p=300733

Worth thinking about when you consider Perry. A few were quite happy to bin soliola in 2010

johnnyl
26th February 2012, 10:17
Always interesting to read old threads. Here's one for you;

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthread.php?p=300733

Worth thinking about when you consider Perry. A few were quite happy to bin soliola in 2010

I think there is a big difference. The comments on soli were about knowingly signing a player with dodgy knees and then $h1t shock horror, he is out for the season. Nobody said he was $h1t.

Perry on the other hand has played during this time (unlike Soliola) and has either not played well or looks disinterested. 26m for a prop.....that is disgraceful. **** me the defensive line has to stand 10 back, I dont know how its even possible to make so few meters

Mac Saint
26th February 2012, 11:33
was talking to Sia the other week and he is hoping to get a new contract sorted soon. He says he want's to stay at Saints because he loves club. We need to keep him, at the minute the team relies on him to make a big hit to get the rest of the team going which isn't how it should be but he is must keep. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Josh Perry is too old and won't get anywhere near his best, he is lazy, overweight and too injury prone. I knew Sia would become good as he is young and has plenty of time to show us what he really can do. Josh Perry is dog s*** and I don't think I am the only one who doesn't want him at Saints.

parrsaint
26th February 2012, 14:40
In the last few games we are really starting to see what he can do. He has certainly upped his game this season and hopefully he will be here for a few seasons longer.

bewareshadows
26th February 2012, 14:54
Apart from Roby is there a Saints player who has not got it in the neck from one section of fans or the other.

So far Scapegoats this year.

Lance ( not impressed runs around and goes nowhere, not a half back and liability in defense as FB)
Wellens (to slow, liability slows our line going forwards)
Foster (anything including global warming due to over use of hair spray)
Ade (should never have been kept on, waste of time offers no more than foster or makinson, should have ashe as reserve winger)
Wheeler (not big enough to play centre, defensive frailities causing foster to be concerned and having to come in to cover)
Meli (defensive liabilty, lazy and has bombed evey grand final ever)
Gaskell (no good, will get booted at end of contract, does not look nice to the eye, can't kick, kicks too much, runs the ball to much, not enough ....)
Lomax (not a half back, should be at FB, from the same people who say Lance is not a half back and should play fb, runs the ball too much, not enough, inside passes)
Perry (lazy, not fit, does not run far enough, is a waste of overseas signing, should never have played for oz, Ashurst was a better player)
LMS (Same as perry but less so)
La Franki ( not a good enough replacement for jammer, does not run hard enough in the tackle)
Wilkin (never runs at people, does not tackle, is a media show pony, lazy)
Clough (not big enough for a prop, runs hard tries but does not have the ability)
Flannery ( drops the ball, misses tackles, poor pass selection, takes the place that could be given to another Saints lad backrower, takes up a quota spot, EH!)

Have I missed anyone.

Tallahassee
26th February 2012, 14:58
Oh right there is me thinking this is a forum where peoples opinions are aired?

reliable sauce
26th February 2012, 15:17
Ever since Soliola joined Saints I have always said he is going to be an awesome signing.
People never really took notice.

I am glad they are taking notice now, he's a fantastic player. Up there with Roby in our best players.
A recent article on Soliola that states his intention to sign on for years to come: http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/9532848.Big_hits_are_child_s_play_for_Sia_Soliola/

'Soliola is 12,000 miles away from that backyard but is loving every minute of his life in St Helens – and much prefers the pace of life here than that he encountered in his time at Sydney Roosters. So much so he is sitting down to discuss his future, with this being his last season contracted at the Saints, and he is in no rush to leave.
“We are sitting down to talk because I want to stop here. It is a place where I would like to stay. When I was at Roosters Sydney was a bit too quick for me and I wanted to slow down a bit.
“Also I recently had my first born in September – he was born in Whiston, so he is a nice little scouser too!” said the big hitting Kiwi.'

Geoggy
26th February 2012, 15:32
I have been critical of Sia - especially defensively when he flies out the line to smash and misses.

He is playing well now though , but he was supposed to be a centre!

Div
26th February 2012, 17:02
I have been critical of Sia - especially defensively when he flies out the line to smash and misses.

He is playing well now though , but he was supposed to be a centre!

Probably been the form player bar Roby. Shame he came up with the daft penalty on the buzzer on Friday ultimately costing us the game.

Jamie's Boots
26th February 2012, 17:16
I think Dixon and Wheeler have also been form players.