PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Watch 3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

BubbleSheep
13th August 2010, 15:37
Sadly, the new stadium has already had it's first boo boy as I heard a motorist yell, "Get off Gardner, you're rubbish"

You sure that wasn't you?

forward ref
14th August 2010, 10:15
So.......
The 60 week countdown, when does that start do you think? From when contracts were signed? From when then office cabins go on site? From when the demolition work starts? Or from when building work starts?
Anyone know?

Syd
14th August 2010, 11:23
http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/2755

North Stand must be selling fairly well, South Stand blocks open for sale

Signed up for 11 x 5 year north stand ST's yesterday ( friday 13th ), tons of seats alerady sold in that gaff, which is great news for the club.

doghead
14th August 2010, 18:38
So.......
The 60 week countdown, when does that start do you think? From when contracts were signed? From when then office cabins go on site? From when the demolition work starts? Or from when building work starts?
Anyone know?

I heard that Barr will be using the cabins vacated by Birse when they finish their job,
also that Langtree have not yet applied to the Council for a demolision permit, but will get one within 24 hours when they do.
I have also been told that the second phase on the stadium site has altered, new away coach parking as been found off-site, and that Langtree are looking to build new retail outlets or even an hotel.

Wanderer
14th August 2010, 20:51
new away coach parking as been found off-site,
You're not saying that the club didn't consider away coaches when submitting their plans?!? Or is it that places for away coaches have been thrown off the site?

Somehow it seems unlikely that the spec will change in any way now that the contractor has been appointed because new planning permission would have to be granted, etc, and that would push everything back.

doghead
15th August 2010, 00:21
You're not saying that the club didn't consider away coaches when submitting their plans?!? Or is it that places for away coaches have been thrown off the site?

Somehow it seems unlikely that the spec will change in any way now that the contractor has been appointed because new planning permission would have to be granted, etc, and that would push everything back.

On the plans there are temporary coach parking places, to the right of the inner stadium road, from what I got told these wont be used now, a road near by has been identified and ok'd by the council, I know the name of the road but that would be going to far with this info.
It dosen't leave a great deal of parking space left for a Supermarket the size of this one, spec dosen't alter phase two is seperate from the stadium/Tesco site.
Looks like Langtree have hit the jackpot with this site, wanting to bring Phase two to the starting line.

Sadfish
15th August 2010, 09:39
Looks like Langtree have hit the jackpot with this site, wanting to bring Phase two to the starting line.

lets hope so and lets hope it gets going ASAP although we've plenty of time before the start of 2012 season.

Buddy
15th August 2010, 09:42
lets hope so and lets hope it gets going ASAP although we've plenty of time before the start of 2012 season.

Or they may have advanced their plans with the development in town moving ahead as well now?

Makes you wonder what will be left in the town centre when all these retail spaces open.

Sadfish
15th August 2010, 09:55
Or they may have advanced their plans with the development in town moving ahead as well now?

Makes you wonder what will be left in the town centre when all these retail spaces open.

Night clubs and lots of swanky empty apartments.

Buddy
15th August 2010, 13:52
Night clubs and lots of swanky empty apartments.

Sounds.....er great! :(

The Chair Maker
15th August 2010, 15:20
Reading the match day magazine, and our chairman states that they "may well sell more season tickets at Widnes than we have at Knowsley road.....those that do not possess season tickets, run the risk of being locked out for bigger games".

Wanderer
15th August 2010, 15:52
Reading the match day magazine, and our chairman states that they "may well sell more season tickets at Widnes than we have at Knowsley road.....those that do not possess season tickets, run the risk of being locked out for bigger games".
So they've started to resort to threats, now, huh? ;-)

oldshep1960
17th August 2010, 15:10
Swampy and his friends move in when we are in the valleys of err Wrexham. Be vigilant people we are close to the dream. We will need people on watch scanning the horizon for diggers and aliens all dressed in aluminous colours. When here and approached they will introduce themselves as the Construction team. We should welcome them with open arms and gifts of T and sarnies from Pats Cafe.just put you right there kidder,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's luminous not aluminous hahahahaha you can tell i was edumacated at st austins thatto heath can't you lol, proper donkey commoner me kidder.

oldshep1960
17th August 2010, 15:17
I didn't realise there was going to be a swimming pool on the site ... ;-)nah.................... thats the after game bath for the refs and touchies.

wardies love child
17th August 2010, 20:01
just put you right there kidder,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's luminous not aluminous hahahahaha you can tell i was edumacated at st austins thatto heath can't you lol, proper donkey commoner me kidder.

Cheers. I'd be a poor editor in newspapers.

Dj_Finster
19th August 2010, 14:05
anymore pics people ?

forward ref
19th August 2010, 14:30
Just copy and paste the previous weeks pics. Nothing's changed.

Gruntfuttock
19th August 2010, 15:12
Yet!!

wardies love child
19th August 2010, 17:29
Just copy and paste the previous weeks pics. Nothing's changed.

Lol. Been waiting for that comment.
Luckily the cars are different each week. Not so sure about about alternate weeks though. ;) only joking. A start is round the corner

Reacher
19th August 2010, 17:48
Am sure we were supposed to be starting building in July? It is now looking like September at the earliest!

Blackwolf
19th August 2010, 21:58
I'm starting to think that they've come accross another obsticle with the contsruction. It was announced well over a month ago now that "A contractor has been appointed with work to start the same week" (or words to that effect).

I thought they'd have at least started to demolish the old warehouses.

Wanderer
19th August 2010, 22:01
Am sure we were supposed to be starting building in July? It is now looking like September at the earliest!
For about only the second time in history, I'm with Stevo on this one. I'll only believe it's happening when I start to see bricks being laid.

The Chair Maker
19th August 2010, 22:48
Well if you look far back in this thread, some of the fans involved in the construction business were saying back at the start of the year that it could take a couple of months from tenders being signed off, for the contractors to organise things, to the level of getting diggers, portacabins and such, onsite.

As things stand, i suspect a lot of organisational/planning and low level work is going on by the contractors.

Once things kick off though, I expect there to be something like a proper ceremony, with Mr Big and a shovel, starting stadium construction by digging out a ceremonial piece of earth.

The Verminator
19th August 2010, 23:47
There was a huge delivery of timber being made at about 4:30pm. That's about all I know!

Gruntfuttock
20th August 2010, 00:15
Delivering the sticks, got to get our priorities right :)

djgazza
20th August 2010, 02:27
There was a huge delivery of timber being made at about 4:30pm. That's about all I know!

That must've been at the link road end because nothing as been delivered at the PX side. Regarding the start of the building, nothing can start until the new road from the link road end joins the road at the side of the, soon to be demolished, warehouses to form a complete thoroughfare to Peasley Cross Lane. That's in one of the posts in this thread somewhere

wardies love child
20th August 2010, 09:15
The 5 P's
Proper preparation prevents poor performance. Let's hope Barr Constrution utilise this process hence the slow start.
I was one of those that suggested it would be a while after the announcement of contractor that works would commence.

djgazza
20th August 2010, 11:49
It's starting

The fence around the warehouses has been removed and demolition starts next week

Your on site reporter

Gazza

SaintPeter
20th August 2010, 12:13
Gruntfuttock said we would see
something on monday. The timber could be for the barrier fence.

wardies love child
20th August 2010, 12:23
Gruntfuttock said we would see
something on monday. The timber could be for the barrier fence.

Gruntfuttock will hope not as we will end up with pictures of a hoarding every week. Unless he's willing to tresspass on railway or break in weekly and be a proper paparazzi determined to get his pictures

Scouse Don
20th August 2010, 14:19
I am no expert but I assume that you would have to get the road access sorted first before you can do anything....which is what I assume is going on at the moment due to all the traffic hold ups ?

Gruntfuttock
20th August 2010, 14:33
Gruntfuttock will hope not as we will end up with pictures of a hoarding every week. Unless he's willing to tresspass on railway or break in weekly and be a proper paparazzi determined to get his pictures

Yes but it will be a different piece of hoarding each week

The Chair Maker
20th August 2010, 16:27
Just got back from town and parked near Burger King to take a peak.

There was a big lorrry with a HIAB crane loading stuff on to itself, from right next to the warehouses.

Looked either like rusty metal or possibly wood.

Maybe they were taking away the fencing they had just delivered ;)

SaintPeter
20th August 2010, 16:37
I am no expert but I assume that you would have to get the road access sorted first before you can do anything....which is what I assume is going on at the moment due to all the traffic hold ups ?

They Could use the Peasley Cross entrance. I thought this would be were the porta cabins would be aswell.

Blackwolf
20th August 2010, 22:27
Unless he's willing to tresspass on railway or break in weekly and be a proper paparazzi determined to get his pictures

I could use my bright Orange Network Rail works coat and get some pics sometime next week.

wardies love child
20th August 2010, 22:46
I could use my bright Orange Network Rail works coat and get some pics sometime next week.

Will you have your IWA card or trespass. I'll have a spare here for mrs g also. I have wondered how close they are building to the track and wether they have approached NR regards cranes and collapsing distance etc

SaintPeter
21st August 2010, 06:10
Will you have your IWA card or trespass. I'll have a spare here for mrs g also. I have wondered how close they are building to the track and wether they have approached NR regards cranes and collapsing distance etc

Isnt that track disused?

wardies love child
21st August 2010, 09:03
Isnt that track disused?

I have no idea tbh. Maybe that's why matalan don't make the news as I always wondered how they get away with the banners roped To the bridge

Gruntfuttock
21st August 2010, 09:22
Yes the track hasnt been used for years in fact i believe it doesn even connect to the main line it stops up in sutton somewhere

SaintPeter
21st August 2010, 10:41
Yes thats right, there was an article in the star about re-connecting it to st helens junction and electrifying it. but it stops behind Morrisons

djgazza
21st August 2010, 10:46
The track actually turns into where Leathers used to be. It could be resurrected if they go ahead and build the new chemical waste site that was announced in the Star/Reporter a few months ago

wardies love child
21st August 2010, 11:06
The track actually turns into where Leathers used to be. It could be resurrected if they go ahead and build the new chemical waste site that was announced in the Star/Reporter a few months ago

Glad you say chemical and not nuclear.

Buddy
21st August 2010, 11:14
Yes thats right, there was an article in the star about re-connecting it to st helens junction and electrifying it. but it stops behind Morrisons

That was the train sheds originaly wasn't it?

forward ref
21st August 2010, 12:52
Yes the track hasnt been used for years in fact i believe it doesn even connect to the main line it stops up in sutton somewhere

True for one end, but it does connect to the mainline at the other end at the station (central)

djgazza
21st August 2010, 13:59
That was the train sheds originaly wasn't it?

No, Buddy the trainsheds are were Morrisons is now on the left. The track goes under the bridge at Baxters Lane and then goes to the right

doghead
21st August 2010, 14:33
No, Buddy the trainsheds are were Morrisons is now on the left. The track goes under the bridge at Baxters Lane and then goes to the right

Great canteen in the train sheds back then.

Dicko
21st August 2010, 19:01
Track used to link St.Helens Shaw Street Station to St.Helens Junction the line closed under The Beeching Plan.

Greengrass
21st August 2010, 20:46
Track used to link St.Helens Shaw Street Station to St.Helens Junction the line closed under The Beeching Plan.

It shut in the 80's, trains were still going over it with tanks for Pilks between Shaw St and Pilks siding into the 90's.

CHANNEL22
21st August 2010, 22:56

I went to wembley in 1976 on the train and it went from Shaw Street along that line to the Junction then Warrington.

When I have been on the train between Lea Green and the Junction I have looked to see the route it would have taken to Shaw Street but there doesn't seem to be any gaps.

saintollie
21st August 2010, 23:27
I went to wembley in 1976 on the train and it went from Shaw Street along that line to the Junction then Warrington.When I have been on the train between Lea Green and the Junction I have looked to see the route it would have taken to Shaw Street but there doesn't seem to be any gaps.

So did I ! was getting worried when they said it closed under Beeching, he caused his havoc in the 60's , thought I had imagined that train journey for a moment!

Wallasey Saint
22nd August 2010, 01:08
That line was the, St Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway, the line closed to passengers in 1965, & closed completely in 1988
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Helens_Junction_railway_station
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Helens_and_Runcorn_Gap_Railway

djgazza
22nd August 2010, 08:56
The line went to the right out of junction station and went around the back of Smith Street and Edgeworth Street. It joined the Runcorn Gap line to Shaw Street just before Robins Lane bridge. It made a triangle of railway lines which was the Pudding Bag, which consisted of a terrace of houses and a pub (Railway Terrace)

Paul Newlove
22nd August 2010, 14:29
Would be good for that line to re-open especially for fans coming from from Sutton/Bold Heath maybe with a small staiton or drop off near Warrington old road,it's amazing really that line isn't open just linking Shaw street and the Junction for general travel,also re-opening Carr Mill station would be great for fans from Laffak,Clinkham Wood and Blackbrook area, come on council get the bugger sorted out lads!

Blackwolf
22nd August 2010, 15:30

I'd use my IWA. The line is disused but still connected to the main line but the points are Clipped & Scotched so the signaller at the Signal Box can't move them.

The developers have probably consulted Network Rail regarding this but as the line is disused anyway it wouldn't make any odds as the remaining track is being dislodged with the weed growth.

There are no plans to reopen the line in the future as it wouldnt be financially beneficial to Network Rail unless Merseytravel intend to fund the work and maintain it themselves.

Blackwolf
22nd August 2010, 15:33
re-opening Carr Mill station would be great for fans from Laffak,Clinkham Wood and Blackbrook area, come on council get the bugger sorted out lads!

Car Mill station is in the pipeline but the fans would have to alight at Central and walk to the stadium.

Wallasey Saint
22nd August 2010, 15:40
I think, the line is fenced off south of Central Station, might be an idea to lift the Track bed &, install a Footpath linking Parr Street with the new stadium?

paulscnthorpe
22nd August 2010, 19:35
been to take some photos of the old girl today

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulscnthorpe/sets/72157624657953347/

if this link doesn't work, you'll need to put a u between the 'c' and the 'n' in the link bar at the top.. redvee doesn't like the naughty word!!

i'll see if the mods can fix it

Lex
22nd August 2010, 19:37
been to take some photos of the old girl today

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauls****horpe/sets/72157624657953347/
Page not found. Fault on link ?????

saintollie
22nd August 2010, 20:31
Page not found. Fault on link ?????

it does if you put the 'u' in as instructed,
great photos, the old girl is really showing her age, but I will be sorry to see her go!

paulscnthorpe
22nd August 2010, 20:46
how many people have tried to smuggle darts into knowsley road?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4916810943_236ebc0d05_b.jpg

and where would we find "The Saint Office"
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4916811373_2667d2c3f7_z.jpg

Lex
22nd August 2010, 20:52
how many people have tried to smuggle darts into knowsley road?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4916810943_236ebc0d05_b.jpg

and where would we find "The Saint Office"
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4916811373_2667d2c3f7_z.jpg
About 180 !!

wardies love child
22nd August 2010, 21:40
Not surprised it's falling apart if they won't let you take tools in. Did somebody point out the fireworks ban also before they stopped.

SaintPeter
23rd August 2010, 12:49
There has been some action this morning. They have put up the metal fence again around the warehouses. There has also ben some big trucks, similar to what would be used for tarmac but on the peasley cross side.

Chris Saint
23rd August 2010, 13:25
Double post!

Chris Saint
23rd August 2010, 13:27
There has been some action this morning. They have put up the metal fence again around the warehouses. There has also ben some big trucks, similar to what would be used for tarmac but on the peasley cross side.

There is a sign that has gone up this morning saying entry to the stadium site if from Peasley Cross side so they must be expecting some big units arriving... I didn't see anything arriving when I went passed but it was quite early.

doghead
23rd August 2010, 13:44
Went for my morning nosey, they where putting the fence back up, four blokes where also coming out out of the warehouses after having a look around.

Sausalito
23rd August 2010, 14:50
I saw a chap with a Dumpy Level in there.

djgazza
23rd August 2010, 17:20
First portakabin being dropped off as we speak

Gazza

Your on site correspondant

Gruntfuttock
23rd August 2010, 17:29
well we went there this afternoon and took some pictures of the guys and sign, and as we speak our outside broadcast car is on the way to the retail park to bring you pictures of said portakabin

(isnt it exciting ?)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/23082010062.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/23082010066.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/23082010063.jpg

TIMTOP
23rd August 2010, 20:19
Here we go, here we go, here we go!

banburysaint
23rd August 2010, 20:33
Re the line behind the stadium site - this link is quite good as it contains an old O.S map of the area, some recent photos (in the last 5 years), and some historical background.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/peasley_cross/index.shtml

Wanderer
23rd August 2010, 20:43
I think everyone on here will go totally hysterical when some serious construction like action gets going!

Houghwood Saint
23rd August 2010, 20:56
Here we go, here we go, here we go!

Oh no,memories of Wigan's re-emergence c.1984-85/

SaintPeter
24th August 2010, 11:45
I have just been down and it looks like nothin going on.

CHANNEL22
24th August 2010, 12:13
I have just been down and it looks like nothin going on.

Its throwing it down. You wouldn't get Gene Kelly out in that

doghead
24th August 2010, 12:40
There a bit going on at present cant see anybody with a big hammer just yet, couple of empty large flatback trucks went round the Warrington Old Road side of the warehouses.
There was a bloke again with a 7ft pole with a disc on top, got told its some sort of satellite measuring device, another fella videoing the perimeter of the site.

Agent Mulder
24th August 2010, 13:52
Re the line behind the stadium site - this link is quite good as it contains an old O.S map of the area, some recent photos (in the last 5 years), and some historical background.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/peasley_cross/index.shtml

We could have done with that line still being open - we could have had 'Rugby L' trains running to Widnes next season. Travelling problems solved then. l o l

Gruntfuttock
24th August 2010, 15:16
okay there is stuff happening at the site, with portakabins and fences going up

first the roundabout where KC statue is going, is proceeding well

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/roundabout.jpg

and then Portakabin city

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/porta2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/porta1.jpg

Chop
26th August 2010, 10:43
I think we owe a big thanks to Mr and Mrs Gruntfuttock and all the other contributors for all the hard work they have done on this post....especially those in far away and possibly sunnier climes

doghead
26th August 2010, 12:41
Nowt happening this morning on the stadium site, but some action where the new bridge is going, JCB doing some digging, looks like they are fencing the area off.

Gruntfuttock
26th August 2010, 12:59
thanks chop thats nice of you to say so, , must have a look at the work for the bridge maybe bag a few piccys

cjhatesunion
26th August 2010, 20:15
I think we owe a big thanks to Mr and Mrs Gruntfuttock and all the other contributors for all the hard work they have done on this post....especially those in far away and possibly sunnier climes

Well said sir with out the like of the Gruntfuttocks I would of been knackered due to work commitments.

Wanderer
26th August 2010, 20:40
I think we owe a big thanks to Mr and Mrs Gruntfuttock and all the other contributors for all the hard work they have done on this post...
Well said.

oldun
26th August 2010, 20:57
Went up the linkway past the new roundabout entrance to the site and there was a notice displayed saying Entance to Stadium Site via peasley cross entrance so it looks as though we have some progress

Gruntfuttock
27th August 2010, 08:50
yup, points to the pictures at the top of the page , first picture very left of the photo , yellow sign,
aloso as was said yesterday they have cordoned off the banking on the stadium site near where the bridge will go , and also a few guys in yellow reflectives around the warehouses

coslettsboot
27th August 2010, 12:21
There's one thing about all this if ever (god forbid) there was an accident or incident on the site that needed witnesses as to what happened they won't be short of them will they ? It's going to be a nightmare for the boys working on this site ,they aren't going to be able to get away with anything ,no bad workmanship ,sneaking off early on Friday afternoon for a sly pint. You lot will have 'em nailed ,with photographs to prove it

Blackwolf
27th August 2010, 13:14
there's one thing about all this if ever (god forbid) there was an accident or incident on the site that needed witnesses as to what happened they won't be short of them will they ? It's going to be a nightmare for the boys working on this site ,they aren't going to be able to get away with anything ,no bad workmanship ,sneaking off early on friday afternoon for a sly pint. You lot will have 'em nailed ,with photographs to prove it

pmsl

SaintPeter
27th August 2010, 15:36
Is there any developments on site?

doghead
27th August 2010, 15:42
Should imagine it will all kick off Tuesday'ish, for mine, looks like they are polishing off some of the pre-condition that the contractor has to do.
Perimeter fencing with gate's etc.

The Chair Maker
27th August 2010, 16:47
Been round taking some pics of the site.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4932417454_ea12f5e4de_b.jpg

A close up of Barrs site office

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4932306938_2cfd7116dc_b.jpg

Signs on site warn of demolition and Asbestos

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4931786325_9a9a462fc1_z.jpg

Fenced off waiting to come down

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4932394232_7e68c31617_b.jpg

The footbridge across the St.Helens canal, built to link the town centre with the new stadium business park

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4931707143_597b9d2d75_z.jpg

View from the footbridge looking towards PC world and B&Q

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4932358788_056be11755_b.jpg

Agent Mulder
27th August 2010, 16:53
Some good photos there from a different angle. I would imagine in a couple of weeks we might see some big changes i.e. demolition etc.

Jammer
27th August 2010, 17:26
Are we going to have a similar thread when they start to demolish Knowsley Road ? I think it would be too painful to watch so many memories turning to dust.

doghead
27th August 2010, 18:13
you can almost smell the wintergreen.

Ex Parrer
28th August 2010, 07:40

Thats so true, a very big thankyou from me and my wife, we left 40 years ago and i worked at U.G. so it has tugged the old heart strings on occasions. We were back last year and got lost near Shirdley park and Peasly cross????????????????????????

Gruntfuttock
28th August 2010, 08:32
aww you guys , your all very welcome, thats the reason I started the thread in the first place as I know we have many fans all over the world, (and certain parts of Birkenhead) , and also its very exciting (or it will be) to watch a new era rising from the ground.

Sausalito
28th August 2010, 09:43
aww you guys , your all very welcome, thats the reason I started the thread in the first place as I know we have many fans all over the world, (and certain parts of Birkenhead) , and also its very exciting (or it will be) to watch a new era rising from the ground.

Ab. Terry lives in Birkenhead. Top prop forward in his day.

Gruntfuttock
28th August 2010, 09:59

Obviously not a Morecambe and Wise fan then?

Greengrass
28th August 2010, 10:35
you can almost smell the wintergreen.

Used to use that regularly in my sporting days I can still smell it now.

oldshep1960
30th August 2010, 09:11
Thats so true, a very big thankyou from me and my wife, we left 40 years ago and i worked at U.G. so it has tugged the old heart strings on occasions. We were back last year and got lost near Shirdley park and Peasly cross????????????????????????hahaha blimey cobber, you have been away a long time! you can't even spell the place names right no more, poor bloke, just for your benefit Sherdley Rd and Peasley cross, ok blue now go and stick another prawn on the barbie ! (tongue in cheeck that mucka, it's good to hear you still love the team and town) p.s. you didn't know mike kerr did you? he was at ug then.

doghead
30th August 2010, 11:04

Carried my old fella out of the old Groves's pit (Ravenhead) once when he got injured, did Terry, he must be a good age.

Sausalito
30th August 2010, 12:31
Carried my old fella out of the old Groves's pit (Ravenhead) once when he got injured, did Terry, he must be a good age.

I think he must be about 76.

SaintPeter
31st August 2010, 10:36
just been passed the site via PX and there is a metal fence going from the warehouses right down to PX road and there are a few small containers being unloaded/loaded.

doghead
31st August 2010, 16:22
just been passed the site via PX and there is a metal fence going from the warehouses right down to PX road and there are a few small containers being unloaded/loaded.

Had a look this morning, as you have said they are still putting the fence in place along Warrington Old Road.

Agent Mulder
31st August 2010, 19:26
Don't know how true it is but there is a post on rlfans saying everything has ground to a halt (allegedly) as the council and saints are argueing over who will pay for the CCTV to protect the site. Surley this can't be true as all this would have been done and dusted beforehand. I thought the contracters would sort that out anyway.

Dynamite Don Brennan
31st August 2010, 20:11
Don't know how true it is but there is a post on rlfans saying everything has ground to a halt (allegedly) as the council and saints are argueing over who will pay for the CCTV to protect the site. Surley this can't be true as all this would have been done and dusted beforehand. I thought the contracters would sort that out anyway.

I took that post as a 100% p1ss take.

Dicko
31st August 2010, 20:12
CCTV and Site Security will be down to The Site Development Company and will have nothing whatsoever to do with Saints or The Council.

forward ref
31st August 2010, 20:43
Ha ha ha, that's really funny considering not even a traffic cone can move on that site without at least three people taking its photograph.

cjhatesunion
31st August 2010, 21:08

It was a Goon mate so ignore the bugger.

doghead
31st August 2010, 22:17
CCTV and Site Security will be down to The Site Development Company and will have nothing whatsoever to do with Saints or The Council.

correct.

wardies love child
31st August 2010, 23:18
JCB camwatch. Grand a week will sort that site out. Get your hands on the software and pass word and you've got reality construction. Just set up 2'sites with it and I'm told it's quality

djgazza
1st September 2010, 01:12
Demolition starts next Monday and then 15 months to build the ground. Was looking at the paperwork in our office this afternoon. cctv is already in place on the site and the security lodge has been commandeered. So that's already sorted

Your on site correspondent

Gazza

cjhatesunion
1st September 2010, 21:31
Demolition starts next Monday and then 15 months to build the ground. Was looking at the paperwork in our office this afternoon. cctv is already in place on the site and the security lodge has been commandeered. So that's already sorted

Gazza

Where did you get your info from mate.

doghead
2nd September 2010, 00:32
Where did you get your info from mate.

Think he works for the haulage company that is on the UGB site.

djgazza
2nd September 2010, 08:32
Spot on Mr.DH

forward ref
2nd September 2010, 09:29
So in theory we could have the boxing day derby at the new ground in 2011 therefore proving the club right when they said we would be definitely in there by 2010 ;-)

I would imagine though that the pitch itself would not be sturdy enough to play on having been laid in mid winter?????

In fact I've just contacted the club and they said the boxing day 2011 game at the new ground is on but you're too late as it has sold out ;-)

DD
2nd September 2010, 19:13
Fifteen months to build the ground after demolition? That's one hell of a programme extension from the one I saw. Last I heard it was 62 weeks all in from July 2010!!

The Chair Maker
2nd September 2010, 19:22
Fifteen months to build the ground after demolition? That's one hell of a programme extension from the one I saw. Last I heard it was 62 weeks all in from July 2010!!

Wouldnt surprise me if they have gone for a slower and possibly cheaper build than originally intended, once they knew they were not going to be ready for the 2011 season.

wardies love child
2nd September 2010, 21:09
Wouldnt surprise me if they have gone for a slower and possibly cheaper build than originally intended, once they knew they were not going to be ready for the 2011 season.

Maybe it's now tesco come first and were bridesmaids now we have a home for a year and abit

Wanderer
2nd September 2010, 22:00
My guess is that either someone somewhere doesn't know what they are talking about or someone somewhere hopes we will all be so confused by the mixed messages we won't notice when we don't move out of Widnes at the end of next season!

doghead
2nd September 2010, 23:45
You have to remember this is a letter sent to an haulage firm that shares an area of land that will shortly become a massive building site.
The haulage firm are being notified of the start date, and how long they will be inconvenienced, contractors may well be still on site well after the stadium is built, also I have never heard of a date for the completion of the Tesco store.

SaintPeter
3rd September 2010, 08:38
What do you think they'll do? Take off the asbestos roofing and siding first and then demolish the rest afterwards. Or just rip the whole thing down, as they have asbestos to remove from the land aswell. Also is JK Philips moving aswell? I heard a few months ago they were moving to Jackson Street, and they were ripping down were JK's is now and turning it into either car parking or another development from Langtree

Buddy
3rd September 2010, 08:54
Maybe it's now tesco come first and were bridesmaids now we have a home for a year and abit

That was ALWAYS the case. Don't believe everyone shares our emotions about the Stadium.

doghead
3rd September 2010, 09:27
What do you think they'll do? Take off the asbestos roofing and siding first and then demolish the rest afterwards. Or just rip the whole thing down, as they have asbestos to remove from the land aswell. Also is JK Philips moving aswell? I heard a few months ago they were moving to Jackson Street, and they were ripping down were JK's is now and turning it into either car parking or another development from Langtree

The mate who has just retired from the council, and whose job was concerned with new build said that the asbestos will be removed first.
He nipped into his old office last week and talk was of Phase 2 being developed and of JK philips.

Chris Saint
3rd September 2010, 10:03
That was ALWAYS the case. Don't believe everyone shares our emotions about the Stadium.

With the money they are no doubt providing the project they are the main party I agree

But isn't it in the planning that they cannot open before the stadium is built, without providing cash to complete that stadium? I don't imagine they would want to pay extra unless the stadium build ran into major financial trouble and caused big delays to store opening.

Wellensisno1
3rd September 2010, 10:20

Slower is not necessarily cheaper. The longer the contractor is on site, the higher the site prelims. It is in everyones interests to spend minimise the programme and reduce costs. I am sure there will be all sorts of penalties in place for not meeting deadlines.

It is worth noting as elsewhere noted in the thread that the stadium is not the only construction on the site.

SaintPeter
3rd September 2010, 10:36
It is worth noting as elsewhere noted in the thread that the stadium is not the only construction on the site.

What else is there?
Exept tesco

Wellensisno1
3rd September 2010, 11:42
What else is there?
Exept tesco

You have answered the your own question!

Two separate contracts with two separate contractors.

SaintPeter
3rd September 2010, 12:17
I thought they were 1 contract as tesco is in the planning with the stadium.

BlueSaint
3rd September 2010, 13:31
It is all one contract. We were offered to tender for the project but due to the remediation & Tesco's it was too large a project for us to undertake with the other projects we have on site at a similar time.

Wellensisno1
3rd September 2010, 15:26
I thought they were 1 contract as tesco is in the planning with the stadium.

Is it not one project let as two contracts?

wardies love child
3rd September 2010, 18:19
Barr construction are doing all the work, or shud I say were awarded both the stadium and the tesco. The shop I reckon will be open first. It may well be run as 2 separate schemes internally for Barr onsite to make life easier as there are 2 paymasters.

doghead
3rd September 2010, 19:35
The tender was for 1. the whole site, the tender was then divided into 3 parts, stadium, Tesco, ground work.
The ground work has been sub contracted out, two seperate contracts have been submitted to the council, one for Tesco and one for the stadium.
The Council also hope the their in house building control have won the race to boss the site.

wardies love child
3rd September 2010, 22:56
Makes sense for council wanting the inspections but could they realistically do it as it would be permanent onsite and weekends etc. Not current 35 hour week they do. Non paid overtime but accrued hours in lieu. Unless they've changed how they work then I cannot see it working.

djgazza
4th September 2010, 09:03
Two massive diggers arrived on site yesterday. Regarding JKP, he had a contract for ten years which is up this year, but he has extended it for another 3years I think. That warehouse, formerly known as no. 10 in it's UG days, as always been owned by somebody else. Even UG used to rent it

Gazza

doghead
4th September 2010, 12:41
Makes sense for council wanting the inspections but could they realistically do it as it would be permanent onsite and weekends etc. Not current 35 hour week they do. Non paid overtime but accrued hours in lieu. Unless they've changed how they work then I cannot see it working.

Considering that building control know everything about the site and plans, it would be a bit daft not to give them the job, but it has to go out to tender, the private sector have to be considered, its now the law.

SaintPeter
6th September 2010, 11:43
doesnt seem to be anything going on on site this morning.

doghead
6th September 2010, 11:49
doesnt seem to be anything going on on site this morning.

10.45 am, demolition started, two very large JCB's have started to rip the sides of the warehouses out.
Also more machinery has arrived, looks like ground work could be starting in tandem with the demolition.

doghead
6th September 2010, 16:26
10.45 am, demolition started, two very large JCB's have started to rip the sides of the warehouses out.
Also more machinery has arrived, looks like ground work could be starting in tandem with the demolition.

Loads of blokes in white boiler suits knocking about, you cant see much, they are working along the back of the warehouses, doing a lot of hosing down.

Sadfish
6th September 2010, 16:55
Loads of blokes in white boiler suits knocking about, you cant see much, they are working along the back of the warehouses, doing a lot of hosing down.

the water solution attaches to the asbestos dust making it fall to the ground instead of go into the air, there will be a quite abit of this going on no doubt.

Agent Mulder
6th September 2010, 19:36
We had all better wear our masks while driving past then. No doubt Mr. and Mrs Gr. will have piccies up soon.

carl59c
6th September 2010, 20:10
the water solution attaches to the asbestos dust making it fall to the ground instead of go into the air, there will be a quite abit of this going on no doubt.

not much point in putting water on asbestos as it is water proof, one of the best building materials ever mined the only down side, it is a killer.

SaintPeter
6th September 2010, 20:30
putting water on it makes it heavier so it doesnt float off. Keeping the asbestos contained

Dicko
6th September 2010, 20:48
Asbestos sheeting should give em no trouble.

The following simple safety precautions will enable you to safely remove this asbestos-cement
from sheds and garages.
Protective Clothing and Mask must be worn.
1. Keep everyone else away from the work. You don’t want children around when you
are knocking down a garage or shed. A suitable FFP3 dust mask must be worn. Do not go
onto the roof unless you use crawling boards or roof ladders. Asbestos- cement is brittle
and you may fall through. It also becomes very slippery when wet - another reason to use
a roof ladder.
2. Use a hose to get the asbestos-cement really wet - both inside and outside. Do not brush
or scrape moss, lichen or algae growing on the roof sheets; doing so may release asbestos
fibres.
3. You must be careful with any silt in the bottom of gutters. Remember - this has come
from the asbestos-cement roof and will probably contain a high percentage of free
asbestos fibre. Get it wet and then scrape it into a strong plastic bag. Seal it and dispose
of with the waste asbestos-cement.
4. You can then unbolt or unscrew the asbestos-cement sheets. It may be necessary to
hacksaw through fittings or drill away screw or nail heads, this should be done only if
absolutely necessary. Sheets can then be removed while unnecessary breakage of the
material must be avoided. If breakage occurs, any small pieces must be damped down,
picked up and double bagged in heavy duty polythene bags for later collection and
MARKED Asbestos.
5. Whilst the breaking of asbestos-cement panels and sheets should be avoided, if it is
essential then panels or sheets should be saturated with water, and broken carefully.
Panels or sheets should not be cut with hand tools, especially power tools.
6. Keep the area clear of pieces of broken asbestos-cement. Under no circumstances must
It should be noted that in most cases only asbestos cement products can be removed
without the use of specialist asbestos removal contractors. Your main problem will
be disposing of the waste asbestos-cement sheeting. It would be a good idea to sort
this out before you start work. See notes on the rear of this page.
they be crushed underfoot. Wash down the area when you have finished. Wash yourself
thoroughly on completion of the job or before eating or drinking.
Removal of asbestos-cement from sheds or garages will give no risk to health from the release of
asbestos fibres providing the above instructions are followed.

doghead
6th September 2010, 22:10
Used to get covered in the stuff when I worked at Pilks.

Gruntfuttock
7th September 2010, 00:09
sorry to interrupt this H&S meeting but here are some pictures from today

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/DEMO1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/DEMO2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/DEMO3.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/DEMO4.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/DEMO5.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/DEMO6.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/DEMO7.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/DEMO8.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/DEMO9.jpg

as you can see they have started demolishing, and the roundabout looks almost finished

Wanderer
7th September 2010, 08:40
Knew you wouldn't let us down, G!

Something was actually DEMOLISHED! Yay!!!

Gruntfuttock
7th September 2010, 10:00
Yay Your Redvee special correspondent braves traffic jams and mad Canada Geese to bring you all the latest news !!

Reacher
7th September 2010, 10:03

Lets hope they are not terrorists!

superdom
7th September 2010, 10:06
Lets hope they are not terrorists!

If they bring their own dynamite and get those warehouses down quick sharp then let them stay around for a bit

SaintPeter
7th September 2010, 10:18
If they bring their own dynamite and get those warehouses down quick sharp then let them stay around for a bit
Im suprised there still standing after the hurricane force winds we had yesterday.

Wanderer
7th September 2010, 13:00
Yay Your Redvee special correspondent braves traffic jams and mad Canada Geese to bring you all the latest news !!
Dedication to the cause!

When it is all done and dusted, I can put my degree to good use with your photos and we could put a great book together!

Agent Mulder
7th September 2010, 14:08
Thanks for those photos. Just hope you remembered to wear your tin hat and mask while taking them. Once they are all down and the site cleared the framework will take shape very quickly. It will be all the other work that will take time, electrics, plastering, flooring etc as well as the seating. Perhaps they should issuue us with our own seats to put in place. lol

Two Wheeled Saint
7th September 2010, 14:23
Thanks for those photos. Just hope you remembered to wear your tin hat and mask while taking them. Once they are all down and the site cleared the framework will take shape very quickly. It will be all the other work that will take time, electrics, plastering, flooring etc as well as the seating. Perhaps they should issuue us with our own seats to put in place. lol

and you very own 9/16th spanner to tighten it down. LOL

Gruntfuttock
7th September 2010, 14:58
Dedication to the cause!

When it is all done and dusted, I can put my degree to good use with your photos and we could put a great book together!

Sounds good mate have your people call my people and we will do lunch :)

(when its finished im sure ill have a whole hard drive of pictures to use )

mrazzer
7th September 2010, 15:02
and you very own 9/16th spanner to tighten it down. LOL

come on this is a state of the art stadium.......19mm spanner!

superdom
7th September 2010, 15:03
Mr Gruntfuttock, do you and Mrs Gruntfuttock attend the weekly catch up with Birse (I think), as per the talk on here a few weeks ago?

noonesaint
7th September 2010, 16:09
just reading in stevos column that sale sharks are talking to saints about ground sharing. that cant be true can it :sad:

saintollie
7th September 2010, 16:14
just reading in stevos column that sale sharks are talking to saints about ground sharing. that cant be true can it :sad:

four pages of it here http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthread.php?16594-Saints-Union

Gruntfuttock
7th September 2010, 16:48
Mr Gruntfuttock, do you and Mrs Gruntfuttock attend the weekly catch up with Birse (I think), as per the talk on here a few weeks ago?

Mrs G went a couple of times but as Birse are only involved with the roads and infrastructure there is very little that they can tell us , they dont really know much about the stadium itself, however they are still ahead of schedule with their work , so they should be finished before Dec

Wanderer
7th September 2010, 19:48
Sounds good mate have your people call my people and we will do lunch :)
Ok. I'll get my Dad on the case! ;)

superdom
7th September 2010, 20:46
Mrs G went a couple of times but as Birse are only involved with the roads and infrastructure there is very little that they can tell us , they dont really know much about the stadium itself, however they are still ahead of schedule with their work , so they should be finished before Dec

Ta for the reply Mr GF

Paul Newlove
7th September 2010, 21:25
Knew you wouldn't let us down, G!

Something was actually DEMOLISHED! Yay!!!

A double sausage & egg mcmuffin by one of the security guards

Two Wheeled Saint
8th September 2010, 09:14
and then he started the rebuild by laying a log.

;)

reliable sauce
8th September 2010, 12:23
I don't come onto this stadium watch much, only to see the photo's so sorry if this has already been discussed.
What are people's views on 18,000?

It's not big enough to hold internationals IMO, our sport is on the up, is there room for expansion of the stadium? I'm sure McManus would have considered this

Wanderer
8th September 2010, 12:27
That's plenty. We only sell out against the Pies and Wire; any more than 18000 would mean that we spent most of the season playing in a half to three quarter empty ground. We didn't really feel it much at Knowsley Road because of the way the ground was laid out, close to the action, people standing everywhere. But with so much seating and presumably further away from the action the stadium will feel emptier when it is emptier. I'm happy with 18000.

It's not big enough to hold internationals IMO, our sport is on the up, is there room for expansion of the stadium? I'm sure McManus would have considered this
It's possibly not big enough to hold a match against Australia but certainly one of the other matches. It was reported in the media that the day after the World Cup was announced, our Chief Executive put forward our new stadium as a potential venue. My guess is we will be seeing internationals at the new stadium and that would be absolutely fantastic if it does happen.

Talk some sense!
8th September 2010, 12:54
I don't come onto this stadium watch much, only to see the photo's so sorry if this has already been discussed.

I think the stadium has to be planned with our attendances taken into consideration first and foremost. 18k is a figure we don’t see at KR and so anymore would be too much and would be detrimental to the club in two ways. Firstly empty seats are more noticeable than a un-filled standing area and the atmosphere would be affected if say we had 24k capacity and had 14k at a game.

Secondly to add more seats would increase costs and if this was only for an international fixture that could possibly take place once a season then the outlay just wouldn’t be worth it.

18k is perfect for our club

reliable sauce
8th September 2010, 13:16
You're both right, it will be much better for the atmosphere, a full stadium in the proposed oval shape will create an electric atmosphere.

I hope this groundshare is nonesense! We want to be our own brand with, known for rugby league!

E Saint
8th September 2010, 13:38
It's not big enough to hold internationals IMO, our sport is on the up, is there room for expansion of the stadium?

18k is plenty big enough for Eng V Fra, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, PNG, Samoa etc and even for Aus V NZ in the 4 nations, and CC semi finals.

Just the Eng games against NZ and Aus that it wouldnt be big enough for.

Sadfish
8th September 2010, 16:13
You're both right, it will be much better for the atmosphere, a full stadium in the proposed oval shape will create an electric atmosphere.

I hope this groundshare is nonesense! We want to be our own brand with, known for rugby league!

Its more a money thing I would guess, the difference between 18k and 25k in cost is massive I understand.

I would think that Eamonn would have tried to get the best all round stadium for the money available. simples.

SaintPeter
8th September 2010, 16:17
any progress on demolition

Gruntfuttock
8th September 2010, 16:28
Well I have it on good authority that there is a bit more roof missing off one of the warehouses our special redvee correspondent (Mrs G) has been up today and we will have up to date pictures for you just as soon as i get back from work , okies ?

BubbleSheep
8th September 2010, 16:30
Well I have it on good authority that there is a bit more roof missing off one of the warehouses our special redvee correspondent (Mrs G) has been up today and we will have up to date pictures for you just as soon as i get back from work , okies ?

You're too kind to us :p

doghead
8th September 2010, 19:07
I had a look this afternoon, there is a long thin strip missing, at the end of this strip was the jib of a JCB stuck out.

Gruntfuttock
8th September 2010, 20:19
DEMOLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITION !!

OK pals here are the pictures

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem3.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem4.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem5.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem6.jpg

Gruntfuttock
8th September 2010, 20:19
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem7.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem8.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem9.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem9a.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem9b.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem9c.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem9d.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/dem9e.jpg

and since then the hole has got bigger

BubbleSheep
8th September 2010, 20:40
Diggers! Its like a tease show.... oh wait, you can't see me just yet...

Wanderer
8th September 2010, 20:52
Woo-hoo!!! It's finally happening!!!

doghead
8th September 2010, 20:55
Bang goes bagging each individual piece.

superdom
8th September 2010, 21:35
After all this time, getting to know all those warehouses personally (thanks for the pic Mr GF), it seems a shame they have to go

Not

djgazza
8th September 2010, 21:46
It also looks like they're getting set to drain the big swimming pool but I can't see where all the water is going to go

Gazza

Gruntfuttock
8th September 2010, 23:12
well done gazza

djgazza
8th September 2010, 23:27
It's wierd you can here a pin drop on site most of the day but you couldn't here the diggers doing all that damage, but it is around the back of the warehouses form where we are.

SaintPeter
8th September 2010, 23:27
They will probably pump it into a few sewage trucks. It is foul water and cant be released into the environment

Gruntfuttock
9th September 2010, 07:11
Mrs G said she could see the water spraying through the roof then this thing broke through , she couldnt work out what it was till this bloody great arm started ripping chunks out of the roof , most of the middle section is off the warehouse when i drove past about 6 last tight

doghead
9th September 2010, 15:23
Mrs F said she could see the water spraying through the roof then this thing broke through , she couldnt work out what it was till this bloody great arm started ripping chunks out of the roof , most of the middle section is off the warehouse when i drove past about 6 last tight

Nearly all the roof is off the first warehouse, that was after dinner.
They are cutting the roof off with the asbestos still attached.

Talk some sense!
9th September 2010, 16:19
I've never been so pleased to see a bit of demolition taking place.

It's been a long time coming but things are a happening!!!

wardies love child
9th September 2010, 17:18
Oooh it's all too much.

Progress at last

djgazza
9th September 2010, 17:50
The boards talked about earlier on have now been used to form a compound right opposite our office. Portakabins are now in place, but my view is all but blocked by the new fencing. So i'll report on as much as I can see.

Gazza

SaintPeter
9th September 2010, 19:35
Eventually them boards will be erected right round the whole site and painted blue. Similar to the fence that was around the new whiston hospital.

DD
9th September 2010, 20:28
After all this time, getting to know all those warehouses personally (thanks for the pic Mr GF), it seems a shame they have to go

:)

doghead
10th September 2010, 14:58
Second roof almost down, more porta cabins arrived at dinner time.
Srap wagons are leaving at regular intervals, looks like they are retaining the outside walls to keep the asbestos fibre's contained.

Wallasey Saint
10th September 2010, 23:51
Eventually them boards will be erected right round the whole site and painted blue. Similar to the fence that was around the new whiston hospital.

Shouldn't the boards be painted White with a RedVee?:wink:

djgazza
11th September 2010, 09:22
The portakabins are painted white with a red stripe around them like the old 60's kit. Lots of activity today, but I feel sorry for the security guy, he's got no hut and was out in all that rain yesterday. He just leans against the barrier near the old warehouses lol

Blackwolf
11th September 2010, 13:42
I feel sorry for the security guy, he's got no hut and was out in all that rain yesterday. He just leans against the barrier near the old warehouses lol
You should go out and take the poor fella a nice hot brew or a cup of Bovril.

The Chair Maker
11th September 2010, 15:55
Latest piccies as of today

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/4979090557_8994db7d24_z.jpg

Plant on site

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/4979701910_6be0dc2ece_z.jpg

Roundabout looking nearly finished

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/4979700148_7b02781736_b.jpg

Spot whats missing

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4979703810_8f7e63917a_b.jpg

This shows that two roofs have all but been demolished

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/4979741216_196653d4e0_z.jpg

Close up of plant

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/4979713084_b9ae2d394f_z.jpg

Contractors protacabins

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/4979744918_6e27fb40d2_z.jpg

Lake "Cunningham"

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/4979139249_74eb6a6246_b.jpg

Better pic of Portacabins

The Chair Maker
11th September 2010, 16:02
Some people have talked about opening up the railway line and making a stop near the new ground.

This is the current state of the line. It would take a lot of work to get this line back up and running.

Pics taken from near Matalan

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4979099597_72825d0d92_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4979101335_65736ce920_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/4979710972_0ddbacf633_z.jpg

Before anyone asks, NO I DIDNT TRESPASS ON THE RAILWAY

Chris Saint
11th September 2010, 17:53
Some people have talked about opening up the railway line and making a stop near the new ground.

This is the current state of the line. It would take a lot of work to get this line back up and running.

Pics taken from near Matalan

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4979099597_72825d0d92_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4979101335_65736ce920_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/4979710972_0ddbacf633_z.jpg

Before anyone asks, NO I DIDNT TRESPASS ON THE RAILWAY

It is a terrible shame it has been left to fall into that state as the level of investment to get it back to workable is probably going to be too much for anyone to do... I did notice that Pilks are trying to sell off land around Cowley Hill/City Road for apartments with rail links I'd imagine they are in similar states so maybe in the future someone might think its worth it.

It would have been great to have a stop right at the stadium especially considering a big part of the application was for public transport use, connecting the junction line to town centre (joining Yorkshire and Warrington) would have been useful and special rugby trains would be fun.

Great to see demo work going on, be better in a few weeks when the buildings have all gone and things will really start taking shape

Saint_down_under
11th September 2010, 20:47
Great to see the umerous photos posted for all to keep us up to date with developments. Personally, being so far away the potos provide a great method of visualizing the site. Interesting to see the statue from the old Anderton house, that was removed from there when I worked for British Coal all those years ago, good to see it where it belongs, in St Helens where the ASL was invented and first used.
As for the photos of the railway line, compared to NZ standards it could be used tomorrow......keep up the good work all you photographs

Paul Newlove
11th September 2010, 21:23
Ha ha 'Lake Cunningham' I like it:D

Blackwolf
11th September 2010, 21:36
Ha ha 'Lake Cunningham' I like it:D
What exactly is this small body of water?

djgazza
12th September 2010, 10:23
Small, you're kidding. It was an area under the old tanks and lehr ends. If there was a problem with the glass it was just thrown down there and recycled as cullet

Blackwolf
12th September 2010, 13:05
Small, you're kidding. It was an area under the old tanks and lehr ends. If there was a problem with the glass it was just thrown down there and recycled as cullet

So it's pretty deep then or something?

Gruntfuttock
12th September 2010, 14:11
Sunday Update for you lovely people

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/1209a.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/1209b.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/1209c.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/1209d.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/1209e.jpg

As you can see apart from a little more tarmacing and laying some turf , the roundabout looks almost complete , well done to Birse for doing the work so quickly,
Below is a small montage ive put together showing the warehouses before and after they started work it may not look it but there are two warhouses with no roof

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/strippicture.jpg

SaintTrotter
12th September 2010, 17:32
When Bolton Wanderers built the reebok they had a gantry that you could climb up and view the progress... being sad I would regularly go up and watch the stadium take shape. Anyone know if we are doing anything like that???

Sceptical Ste
12th September 2010, 21:51
Some photos

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/petersandlee/100_1745.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/petersandlee/100_1767.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/petersandlee/100_1762.jpg

Gruntfuttock
12th September 2010, 21:54
Well done Ste , great pictures

Houghwood Saint
12th September 2010, 22:07
Some photos

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/petersandlee/100_1745.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/petersandlee/100_1767.jpg

What is the upright cylindrical object in the 1st photo?I think i can see this from Billinge hill and i wondered if it was near to where the new stadium will be situated.

doghead
12th September 2010, 22:14
What is the upright cylindrical object in the 1st photo?I think i can see this from Billinge hill and i wondered if it was near to where the new stadium will be situated.

Its the new trophy cabinet.

Sceptical Ste
12th September 2010, 23:07

It is a gasometer and is situated opposite St. Helens retail park inbetween Peasley cross lane and Jackson street. Here is a photo taken from the disused railway line bridge which runs along the North end of the stadium, gives you a view of the distance from the stadium.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/petersandlee/100_1039.jpg

doghead
12th September 2010, 23:18
It is a gasometer and is situated opposite St. Helens retail park inbetween Peasley cross lane and Jackson street. Here is a photo taken from the disused railway line bridge which runs along the North end of the stadium, gives you a view of the distance from the stadium.

when did you take that picture, is it recent.

Sceptical Ste
12th September 2010, 23:42
when did you take that picture, is it recent.

No, took it last year when the retail park work was in progress.

doghead
13th September 2010, 15:01
Work has started on the third roof this morning gallons of water being poured on the roof, a couple more heavy machines are now on site, one looks like a big drill / pile driver thingy,cant make it out to be honest.

Blackwolf
13th September 2010, 15:02

This is the road that used to have annual road works complete with traffic lights, the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVee Admin
13th September 2010, 15:21
It would have been great to have a stop right at the stadium especially considering a big part of the application was for public transport use, connecting the junction line to town centre (joining Yorkshire and Warrington) would have been useful and special rugby trains would be fun.
From my understanding, the line goes no further than the Hays Chemicals sidings just after Baxter's Lane bridge and it was ripped up beyond that point many years ago. Google Maps satellite view would back that up and judging by the trees further down where the line was, it'd take a lot of time and money to resurrect a line. Maybe some silly billionaire could buy it all and build a tram service from Central to Junction calling at the Stadium and Morrisons? :D

Chris Saint
13th September 2010, 20:56
From my understanding, the line goes no further than the Hays Chemicals sidings just after Baxter's Lane bridge and it was ripped up beyond that point many years ago. Google Maps satellite view would back that up and judging by the trees further down where the line was, it'd take a lot of time and money to resurrect a line. Maybe some silly billionaire could buy it all and build a tram service from Central to Junction calling at the Stadium and Morrisons? :D

Morrisons would love that..... get a letter sent to Bradford HQ!! lol

yogi bear
14th September 2010, 07:12
Some photos

Ahhhh - so things are coming down - hard to see from retail park . Soon be moving in

doghead
14th September 2010, 12:35
As of this morning half of the third warehouse is down, the walls have also gone, you can now see right in at what they are doing, one machine is just cutting girders like they are chips.
Two more JCB were being made ready to help with the demolition, at this rate it will be all down the end of next week.
The only problem I can see is they are knocking it down faster than they can shift it.

The Island is now flying along, they are tarmacking the Widnes side this morning, cant see that there is much left to do with the road itself, there a crossing to put in yet, the Island now as a inner ring of tarmac with the middle soil.

Talk some sense!
14th September 2010, 12:50
One concern I have that may well have been brought up 30 pages back is the issue of having 3 substantial roundabouts so close to eachother. It can be busy enough heading onto the McDonalds roundabout at rush hour as it is now but I’d imagine the traffic attracted on gamedays would be greater.

Clearly people more educated on traffic planning will have gone over this but still I can imagine that particular stretch of road to be quite hectic on some occasions.

forward ref
14th September 2010, 15:59
The island is more for Tesco's use than Saints. Saints will not have much parking space next to the stadium. Plebs parking will be in the multi story near the world of glass, then walk across the new feature footbridge.

doghead
14th September 2010, 17:13
The island is more for Tesco's use than Saints. Saints will not have much parking space next to the stadium. Plebs parking will be in the multi story near the world of glass, then walk across the new feature footbridge.

and phase two, what ever that brings.

Talk some sense!
14th September 2010, 17:27

But still to get to that car park the majority will need to use the linkway, regardless of where they park it will still be a built up area. And too if just for Tesco then we all know how bad traffic gets up and down the linkway around Christmas time and the like - I can just see it getting really built up along that stretch of road.

Wanderer
14th September 2010, 19:19
Congestion is unavoidable on matchdays. I can't think of one stadium anywhere that doesn't create mayhem on the nearby roads, especially at the end of a match. It'll be a nightmare getting out of the multistorey but at least the roads directly around there aren't that busy. Still, it's pretty much all dual carriageway from the multistorey to the M62 so that should lesson the problem to a degree. It's probably the best that could be done without an on-site car park, the absence of which seems crazy but was probably solely a financial decision.

Gruntfuttock
14th September 2010, 22:02
A quick midweek update as things are moving quickly now at the site

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71913.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71916.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71912.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71909.jpg

and a new notice on the fence

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71911.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71907.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71906.jpg

as you see things are indeed moving

The Chair Maker
14th September 2010, 22:10
They are getting a move on because word has gotten out that they are being filmed. Any slacking and these guys will be caught.

Birse knew it, and now Barr know it.

forward ref
14th September 2010, 22:33
One worker has already complained to 'elf n' safety because he's got sunburned down one side of his face with the constant camera flashes going off all day long.

Blackwolf
14th September 2010, 23:14
Parking will be in the multi story near the world of glass, then walk across the new feature footbridge.

What are the chances of the council putting up the car parking fee because they know people will be using the multi story car parks.

doghead
14th September 2010, 23:40
What are the chances of the council putting up the car parking fee because they know people will be using the multi story car parks.

Four major car park are to be free after 3.30pm, the new labour council said it will help town centre shopping and rugby fans.

Buddy
15th September 2010, 00:16
Four major car park are to be free after 3.30pm, the new labour council said it will help town centre shopping and rugby fans.

For now.

Will they kick the car boot sale out? :)

Blackwolf
15th September 2010, 05:43
Will they kick the car boot sale out? :)

Doubtful. Sunday games don't start until 3pm, by which time the car boot is all but done. They may tell the stall holders to be off site by 1pm on match days. Who knows.

djgazza
15th September 2010, 08:21
Good news. The security guard has now been given a chair, so now he can sit in the rain instead of stand in it LOL

Gazza

Gruntfuttock
15th September 2010, 09:14
I bet thats making him feel better , lets hope he doesnt blow away in the wind now

forward ref
15th September 2010, 09:30
Any pictures of this chair?

Gruntfuttock
15th September 2010, 10:45
Funny you should ask,

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/shocker-chair_io6mu_5784.jpg

It also keeps him warm in winter too!! :)

doghead
16th September 2010, 11:01
The builders cant wait to get their hands on KR, they are drilling this mornining at the side of the training pitch.

Sean Day
16th September 2010, 13:12
The builders cant wait to get their hands on KR, they are drilling this mornining at the side of the training pitch.

Hope it doesn't cause the stand to collapse

SaintPeter
16th September 2010, 13:33
Anything happening at the stadium site?

Gruntfuttock
16th September 2010, 14:47
Still demolishing :)

Agent Mulder
16th September 2010, 15:56

Didn't notice anything after lunchtime when we were up there.

doghead
16th September 2010, 18:07
[QUOTE=Gruntfuttock;308643]A quick midweek update as things are moving quickly now at the site

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71913.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71916.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71912.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/STA71909.jpg

the big white gable end in these pictures was pulled down at about half four tonight, dont know if they will pull anymore down tonight, that makes about a third of the warehouses have been flattened.
Scrap metal and bricks everywhere.

Sceptical Ste
16th September 2010, 22:47

Found a view showing the proximity of the gasometer to the stadium site.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/petersandlee/stadiumsite.jpg

Gruntfuttock
16th September 2010, 23:34
thanks Ste the first three warehouses are gone now, here are some pictures from today

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/site7.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/site6-1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/site2-2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/site8.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/site5-1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/site4-2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/site3-2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/site1-2.jpg

djgazza
16th September 2010, 23:46
The end warehouse wall is now hanging by a thread, the wind nearly blew it down today

Albion
17th September 2010, 00:49
Every time I drive past the site, I always look towards the embankment to see if anyone is taking pictures!

Good work guys, I see it often but it's good to see exactly what has/is happening :)

stoneislander
17th September 2010, 09:08
just looked out of the front window theres a bloody big crane right next to the gasometer but from here cant actually tell if its on the site.

Two Wheeled Saint
17th September 2010, 09:34
:DI'd pay to have an hour in that bluey-green crane. How much fun must that be wrecking everything with big claws.:D

Gruntfuttock
17th September 2010, 10:45
Vandal !!:)

Two Wheeled Saint
17th September 2010, 12:14
:whistling:

luckysaint
17th September 2010, 12:36
Funny you should ask,

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/lahforum/shocker-chair_io6mu_5784.jpg

It also keeps him warm in winter too!! :)

Looking at the avater of our 'onsite correspondant, djgazza', he must have had his photo taken actually sitting in this chair.lol

Gruntfuttock
17th September 2010, 13:22
double post

Gruntfuttock
17th September 2010, 13:23
:) :) :)