PDA

View Full Version : Saints V Wolves

Scouse Don
24th February 2011, 22:27
Is this game getting as big as the goons game.
My lad lives in liverpool with a couple of football supporters one of whom works in a garage in Warrington (large main dealer)
I was talking about the game to my son whilst watching footy on wednesday night and heard this unsolicited comment (when he heard I was a saints fan) "Whatever you do make sure you beat them...they are obsessed with beating saints and what a bunch of w*******s they are"
And this lad knows nowt about RL....hope we don't spoil his week !

Div
24th February 2011, 22:41
It cannot be as big as the goons game and especially not with the outcome so predictable.:&

Agent Mulder
24th February 2011, 22:51
It cannot be as big as the goons game and especially not with the outcome so predictable.:&

Not as big as the goons game for Saints fans but for the Wire fans it is. They are desperate to beat us. Still we have moved from KR so they have lost their chance of beating us on our own patch. They will have to wait until we are in our new home next season.before they get the chance to beat us at home. Just tell them Widnes is a neutral ground and doesn't count. lol

Gray77
25th February 2011, 00:37
Saints v Wigan will always be the bigger game. Wigan are to be hated but they demand a begrudging respect and are our natural enemies. The Wire game is certainly bigger than it was, but for me the fear of losing to them makes it bigger than maybe it really is. It is still a bigger game for them than it is for us, and some of their fans take the rivalry to levels that I don't think we do as a set of fans. When I first started watching Saints the Wire game was behind Wigan, Leeds and even Widnes in terms of importance. They have latched on to us, made this a rivalry on the back of their failure to beat us and we have treated it as a big game through our fear of losing and the emotion that goes along with every win we notch up against them.

The fact that they have a good team now means that this game will continue to be a big one as both teams look set to be permanent parts of the top 4 for the foreseeable future, but if they were struggling the importance of the game would diminish whilst the Wigan game would remain massive. If we look back to the 80's when we were struggling and Wigan were top dogs, they still ranked us as their biggest game. And 3-5 years ago when they had their slump we still wanted to beat them more than any other team. That stems from a long-standing traditional and cultural rivalry that the Warrington game doesn't have. It may end up becoming the same way, but it will be a long time before it matches the Wigan game for me.

Paperworkdan
25th February 2011, 01:58
Wigan game is so much more fun to go to, I think we all just get nervous for the wire games because they are striving for that first win against us in 10 years.

Pies games will always be the bigger, especially now they are playing at the top of their game again.

Harri81
25th February 2011, 08:08
Personally I think the wire game is now bigger than the Wigan derbys. So much tension, emotion and nerves go with this fixture. The wire are desperate to beat us and push us close every season. Where I work in Manchester the rivalry is fierce, and out weighs that of the pies. Gradually the wire are getting to be the team people lobe to hate. I have many friends who are pies, and the vast majority love it when we beat Warrington.

Whether success, the buying of numerous players each year (minus this season), and the 'hatred' (light hearted) feeling towards some players adds the spice of a changing tide.

Ask yourselves which feeling would be worse, being beaten by Wigan, or being beaten by Warrington tonight?

Spider Ski
25th February 2011, 09:47
Anyone suggesting the Wire game is bigger needs to sort their head out.

Remind yourself of who the enemy are. Seriously, remind yourselves of growing up in their shadow, of heart break after heart break, of their smug pie stained Elgren tracksuited fans singing simply the best. Remind yourself of every time Quasimodo Edwards hid on the shoulder of an attacker and strolled in, that ugly face grinning, and the six fingered Uncle Joe sucking Goons claiming he is the best ever. Remind yourself of Judas and Platt and how we could have seen them be superb players at Saints, but they swanned off to the money. Remind yourself of 27-0. Remind yourself of drawing 8-8 at Central Park, and walking away feeling gutted. Remind yourself that they seemed to think that winning the last derby at Knowsley Road deserved a medal. Remind yourself just how much you despise them.

If we were to lose to Wire tonight, it would sting, but the hoodoo would be gone and the feeling of nerves before a game with them would be gone. NOTHING will ever match the feeling of nerves you get from the final whistle of the match before a Wigan game right up the kick off.

Saints Wigan is THE match, it's the original derby, where the term comes from. Yes, we begrudgingly have to respect their success, but we can also use it to fuel our dislike of them. We can in no way say the same of any of the above about Warrington.

The Hoss
25th February 2011, 09:51
Its not a patch on Saints V Wigan... Anymore... Maybe 3/4 years ago, Saints V Wire was more tense and the best derby in SL. That was only due to the fact we was giving Wigan a constant hammering lol

Now, Saints V Wigan is so unpredictable... Although, im still never sure which way a Saints Wire game will go.

Saints Wigan though, has always been the 1st fixture i look for when there released

Saint Simon
25th February 2011, 10:07
Saints v Wigan is THE derby

The Yellow Giraffe
25th February 2011, 10:13
Ask yourselves which feeling would be worse, being beaten by Wigan, or being beaten by Warrington tonight?

Absolute no-brainer, Wigan would be worse every time.
Just out of interest, were you a Saints fan in the Wigan glory days? Your post makes me think not. I dont think anybody who lived through the early 90's watching Wigan win everything would ever see any other game challenging Wigan games in terms of rivalry.

Saint Dan
25th February 2011, 10:16
Saints vs Wigan is obviously THE derby for most people. For me (being from Warrington) it will always be Wire though.

The banter is hilarious all week, and they really really want to finally beat us. They care more about the record than us (though i'd like 1 more win so we can celebrate the 10 year anniversary).

The fact is i've resigned myself to the fact that we are going to be beaten by them soon, and it infuriates them so much that no matter how well they play/we play they cannot beat us.

Harri81
25th February 2011, 11:10
Absolute no-brainer, Wigan would be worse every time.
Just out of interest, were you a Saints fan in the Wigan glory days? Your post makes me think not. I dont think anybody who lived through the early 90's watching Wigan win everything would ever see any other game challenging Wigan games in terms of rivalry.

How ridiculous, just because I feel the wire derby is bigger than the Wigan one, my heritage as a saints fan is questioned. I'm a huge rugby fan and saints fan, always have and will be, ive had family and good mates play in the red V. However after the past few years you could predict the result with Wigan months before the match, but this is changing and the tension of the old days may return. In the 90's Wigan won everything and everyone wanted them to lose, it was similar to the situation with the wire now. We always ran close but came up short in big games which was awful to bare.

This is why I love this site so much, people have opinions and if it's not conformist then abuse is hurled at you.

It is still my OPINION that the wire games at the moment just edge that with the pies in derby stakes.

The Yellow Giraffe
25th February 2011, 11:25
How ridiculous, just because I feel the wire derby is bigger than the Wigan one, my heritage as a saints fan is questioned. I'm a huge rugby fan and saints fan, always have and will be, ive had family and good mates play in the red V. However after the past few years you could predict the result with Wigan months before the match, but this is changing and the tension of the old days may return. In the 90's Wigan won everything and everyone wanted them to lose, it was similar to the situation with the wire now. We always ran close but came up short in big games which was awful to bare.

This is why I love this site so much, people have opinions and if it's not conformist then abuse is hurled at you.

It is still my OPINION that the wire games at the moment just edge that with the pies in derby stakes.

Congratulations on the biggest over-reaction I have witnessed in some time.
Can you please point out when/where I "hurled abuse" at you? And I certainly never questioned your entitlement to having an opinion. I was simply asking how long you had been supporting Saints as a matter of curiousity, because it is fairly reasonable to assume that the younger Saints fans would see Warrington as a bigger rival to Wigan due to the lack of success by Wigan in the SL era compared with how they fared in the 80's and 90's.
That is not criticism or abuse.

HitTheWall
25th February 2011, 11:31
Wigan will always be bigger. Always.

That's not to say our rivalry with Wire is not fierce, I hope we smash them all over the park tonight, but in general it's not as big as the Wigan derby.

Syd
25th February 2011, 11:44
It is a special day for me, living in Warringtonshire, being surrounded by mancunians with Wembley10 on their shirts, this game just becomes special to me... the games have been awesome for a few years now, never a walk away for us like the auld days, the close 1 point wins have been out of this world, the come backs, the hits, the look on the cheshire folks faces as another loss hits home, the look on the players as some of them run blood to water only to find the scoreboard says YOU LOST AGAIN FOOL, on it. This game is special for me, and for my son, who is the only saint in hi school, the only saint in his rugby club, he now at a stage where he realises its a tad special....

Love this game, but boy do I love my pie games more, love the build up to a pie game, love it love it love it.

#WBD Wire Bashing Day

Agent Mulder
25th February 2011, 12:36
It is a special day for me, living in Warringtonshire, being surrounded by mancunians with Wembley10 on their shirts, this game just becomes special to me... the games have been awesome for a few years now, never a walk away for us like the auld days, the close 1 point wins have been out of this world, the come backs, the hits, the look on the cheshire folks faces as another loss hits home, the look on the players as some of them run blood to water only to find the scoreboard says YOU LOST AGAIN FOOL, on it. This game is special for me, and for my son, who is the only saint in hi school, the only saint in his rugby club, he now at a stage where he realises its a tad special....

Love this game, but boy do I love my pie games more, love the build up to a pie game, love it love it love it.

#WBD Wire Bashing Day

Let's hope so. Syd.

johnnyl
25th February 2011, 12:37

agreed. IMO this game has been bigger than the Wigan game for quite some time now. I think its starting to shift back towards the other way now with Wigan being quite good these days, but this is still the game for me.

johnnyl
25th February 2011, 12:37
Wigan will always be bigger. Always.

I applaud your honesty about them being bigger than us but its not the place to say it

wabo
25th February 2011, 12:55
The Wire game took on extra significance with them picking up a few trophys and their idiot fans getting a bit giddy.

The fact that we had this long run at home and the time was coming for the old girl to be put out to pasture also raised the signifance for us, well for me I just didnt want them to beat us at KR before we left.

Now we have moved and the record remained intact the Wire games have lost something for me.

The Wigan game always has and always will be the one, no matter what state our or their club is in, each set of fans recognises the Saints Wigan games as the derby. Wire will have Widnes from 2012 anyways so the Saints Wire clashes will lose even more significance

hazzo21
25th February 2011, 13:04
Anyone suggesting the Wire game is bigger needs to sort their head out.

Remind yourself of who the enemy are. Seriously, remind yourselves of growing up in their shadow, of heart break after heart break, of their smug pie stained Elgren tracksuited fans singing simply the best. Remind yourself of every time Quasimodo Edwards hid on the shoulder of an attacker and strolled in, that ugly face grinning, and the six fingered Uncle Joe sucking Goons claiming he is the best ever. Remind yourself of Judas and Platt and how we could have seen them be superb players at Saints, but they swanned off to the money. Remind yourself of 27-0. Remind yourself of drawing 8-8 at Central Park, and walking away feeling gutted. Remind yourself that they seemed to think that winning the last derby at Knowsley Road deserved a medal. Remind yourself just how much you despise them.

If we were to lose to Wire tonight, it would sting, but the hoodoo would be gone and the feeling of nerves before a game with them would be gone. NOTHING will ever match the feeling of nerves you get from the final whistle of the match before a Wigan game right up the kick off.

Saints Wigan is THE match, it's the original derby, where the term comes from. Yes, we begrudgingly have to respect their success, but we can also use it to fuel our dislike of them. We can in no way say the same of any of the above about Warrington.

This is absolutely spot on and as per The YG comments, I think a lot of it depends on how long you have been a Saints fan. Anyone who had to live through the late 80's and early 90's Wigan dominance will always see this as the MAIN rivalry. Add in to the fact that I live in (the borough of) Wigan and had to listen to the morons day-in day-out all the way through school will mean that even if Warrington win the title for the next 10 years, I will still hate Wigan more.
If you are lucky enough to have missed this and are a bit younger then I can understand why you may consider Wire to be more of a rival, especially if you live closer to the Wire fans.
However with Wigan's resurgence of late, I suspect that even those arguing that Wire is a bigger game may well change their opinion in the next year or so.
Having said all that, I still hope we smash them to pieces tonight!!

The Yellow Giraffe
25th February 2011, 13:15
This is absolutely spot on and as per The YG comments, I think a lot of it depends on how long you have been a Saints fan. Anyone who had to live through the late 80's and early 90's Wigan dominance will always see this as the MAIN rivalry. Add in to the fact that I live in (the borough of) Wigan and had to listen to the morons day-in day-out all the way through school will mean that even if Warrington win the title for the next 10 years, I will still hate Wigan more.
If you are lucky enough to have missed this and are a bit younger then I can understand why you may consider Wire to be more of a rival, especially if you live closer to the Wire fans.

This is basically what I meant earlier when I was accused of abuse. Perhaps you have worded it better than I did!

johnnyl
25th February 2011, 14:02
This is absolutely spot on and as per The YG comments, I think a lot of it depends on how long you have been a Saints fan. Anyone who had to live through the late 80's and early 90's Wigan dominance will always see this as the MAIN rivalry.

I must be the exception to that rule then

However with Wigan's resurgence of late, I suspect that even those arguing that Wire is a bigger game may well change their opinion in the next year or so.
Having said all that, I still hope we smash them to pieces tonight!!

Agreed on all those counts :biggrin:

The Hoss
25th February 2011, 14:34
Perhaps you have worded it better than I did!

Well it wouldnt be hard to word it better than you would it?

The Yellow Giraffe
25th February 2011, 15:05
Well it wouldnt be hard to word it better than you would it?

Remind me, have I done something to upset you or are you just spitting your dummy out randomly today?

doghead
25th February 2011, 15:57
The match starts now, take the dog for a walk quick shower, sandwich Gerard.

sonny nuckles
25th February 2011, 16:17
without doubt Wigan is the big one. there dominance will never be forgotten by pre super league fans !!!! but the wire game is pretty big these days and even more if you are newton le willows based as we are surrounded by them all the time and time after time they just dont know when to shut up. luckily enough they are pretty quiet after the games. Gods know what they will be like when they eventually win.

dreamcatcher
25th February 2011, 16:28
Warrington Fans know Widnes isn't neutral
Widnes hate Warrington fans as much as Saints do.

dreamcatcher
25th February 2011, 16:31
Not as big as the goons game for Saints fans but for the Wire fans it is. They are desperate to beat us. Still we have moved from KR so they have lost their chance of beating us on our own patch. They will have to wait until we are in our new home next season.before they get the chance to beat us at home. Just tell them Widnes is a neutral ground and doesn't count. lol