PDA

View Full Version : Yawnion converts ?

headtackle
24th February 2011, 13:41
All this talk of whether Kyle will go to Union or not had me recalling the days when the flow of players was the other way and there were constant rumours of new signings from the Valleys. Who can ever forget Stuart Evans ?

While we wait for Kyle to make his mind up (excluding Maurie and other League converts) any thoughts on current Union players who could do a job for us or past players who could have ??

As a starter what about Tuilagi currently on the wing at Leicester - plenty big enough and with a good family pedigree for Saints

The Yellow Giraffe
24th February 2011, 13:48
I watch quite a bit of the Magners League, and theres a fella who plays no.10 for Scarlets and Wales called Rhys Priestland. He would be a very very good stand off in league I reckon.

Smart Casual
24th February 2011, 13:49
Matt Banahan runs very muh like a league player and he's got that league offload too.

The Yellow Giraffe
24th February 2011, 13:57
Matt Banahan runs very muh like a league player and he's got that league offload too.

Potentially awesome player. One of this tries at the weekend was ridiculous.

Reacher
24th February 2011, 14:07
Lots in the Super 15 I would have. Nonu (centre for Hurricanes), and Quade Cooper would be my picks though. Cooper is a genius with ball in hand and does outrageous plays that would endear him to fans. Richie Mccaw, Dan Carter from Crusaders and All Blacks, Kahui for the Chiefs, Drew Mitchell from the Tahs, Steyn and Du Preez from the Bulls and SA. Literally lots. Bearing in mind, the Super 15 teams play like RL used to be i.e entertaining then its fair to say there will be a lot of players who could make a seamless transition.

If I could only have one though, it would be Quade Cooper.

The Wee Waa Womble
24th February 2011, 14:22
Lots in the Super 15 I would have. Nonu (centre for Hurricanes), and Quade Cooper would be my picks though. Cooper is a genius with ball in hand and does outrageous plays that would endear him to fans. Richie Mccaw, Dan Carter from Crusaders and All Blacks, Kahui for the Chiefs, Drew Mitchell from the Tahs, Steyn and Du Preez from the Stormers and SA. Literally lots. Bearing in mind, the Super 15 teams play like RL used to be i.e entertaining then its fair to say there will be a lot of players who could make a seamless transition.

If I could only have one though, it would be Quade Cooper.

Quade Cooper is a world class player, very similar to Benji Marshall. Parramatta almost signed him last year. As for players I would like to see switch to league, Banahan, Tuilagi etc are the usual suspects. I'd like to see Imanol Harinordoquy switch, phenomenal player. Also Takudzwa Ngwenya (see link below). Mikaele Pesamino is a Samoan 7's legend who would be a great league player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfCd0q5_yAw
(and yes you do see him flying past both Shane Williams AND Bryan Habana)

doghead
24th February 2011, 15:39
Watched hundreds try their luck at league from union over the last 50 years, the ones that made it you will have heard of, an awful lot failed, some great athletes in union who could easily make it in league, its a shame they have to play to a garbage set of rules pure waste of tallent playing that game.

Recs
24th February 2011, 16:55
ben youngs england/leicester scum half and dan hipkiss leicester inside/outside centre

Tallahassee
24th February 2011, 18:26
Like to have seen Jonah Lomu play league,Will Greenwood and Joost Van Der Wiestheisen(I think thats how you spell it ),Springbok scrum half from the nineties.

THELAST3YARDS
24th February 2011, 18:28
Guscott, Carling and Neil Jenkins

cjhatesunion
24th February 2011, 21:20
Guscott, Carling and Neil Jenkins

Guscott wouldn't even play against Wigan for Bath in the cross code game in 1996.

Huntingtons
24th February 2011, 21:25
England rugby unions backline would walk into the england rugby league team after one training session learning how to run back 10 meters

Rogues Gallery
24th February 2011, 21:55
Like to have seen Jonah Lomu play league,Will Greenwood and Joost Van Der Wiestheisen(I think thats how you spell it ),Springbok scrum half from the nineties.

Where do you think Lomu started?

Scouse Don
24th February 2011, 22:07
Scott Gibbs stands out for me.But Brian O'Driscoll would have been perfect in the no4 Redvee !

doghead
24th February 2011, 22:22
England rugby unions backline would walk into the england rugby league team after one training session learning how to run back 10 meters

Not been watching the game long have we.

Birchy Boy
24th February 2011, 22:54
Did someone say Neil Jenkins??

seriously though , i always thought stuart barnes , or carlos spencer would have been great in rugby league. Serevi im sure could of shown us a thing or two as well.

Glasgowsaint
24th February 2011, 23:58
This is a very interesting thread

How do you think this back line would have fared in league. Pretty tasty I would say !

Serge Blanco Full back

Johah Lomu Wing

Brian Habana Wing

Philippe Sella Centre

Brian O Driscoll Centre

Stand off Dan Carter

Scrum half Gareth Edwards

Hooker Joost van der vesthuizen scrum half/hooker

The Wee Waa Womble
25th February 2011, 00:54
How about:
1 James Hook