PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas or just kaos in the east ????

sonny nuckles
24th February 2011, 11:59
Can anyone clear this up for me ? i have a season ticket in the east stand but there is no seat allocation on it so do i just have to get there as early as possible and plant my arse on a seat and not move for 2 hours ? would have thought it to be a good idea to get them with a season ticket to swap it for a SEAT ALLOCATED TICKET. Are single tickets bought got allocated seats ?? can see this being messy tomorrow night and doubt the stewards are use to full stands there ??

Saint Simon
24th February 2011, 12:11
Can anyone clear this up for me ? i have a season ticket in the east stand but there is no seat allocation on it so do i just have to get there as early as possible and plant my arse on a seat and not move for 2 hours ? would have thought it to be a good idea to get them with a season ticket to swap it for a SEAT ALLOCATED TICKET. Are single tickets bought got allocated seats ?? can see this being messy tomorrow night and doubt the stewards are use to full stands there ??

As its unallocated, they can only use 90% of capacity, for health and safety reasons. I heard a rumour that might even be getting reduced to 85%

Saint_Claire
24th February 2011, 12:11
I think getting there early is going to be the only answer!

saintollie
24th February 2011, 12:24
I think getting there early is going to be the only answer!

just like when we go to the pie dome! (or quite a few other grounds for that matter, first there best seats)

Saint Dan
24th February 2011, 12:25
No, single tickets aren't allocated either.

Personally I would have thought allocating seats would be beneficial just to cut down on the chaos that will undoubtedly occur. As i can only get there quite close to KO, i'm not too confident of getting a prime seat!

The Captain
24th February 2011, 12:27
I am not too concerned with the prime view thing, I sat only a few rows from the front at the Widnes friendly and the view was still fine.

Glasgowsaint
24th February 2011, 12:29
Personally this whole idea of unreserved seating for the bigger matches is quite frankly ridiculous and liable to end up in a complete farce. Surely season ticket holders should have their own seat and the remaining tickets are sold with seat numbers. If it is a quieter game you can go and sit where there are spare seats.

This is going to be complete and utter chaos tomorrow night. I love being behind the goals, but I am going with my friend and we like to get a couple of beers and turn up ten mins before kick off. If we did that tomorrow night, we could end up sitting on our own. Therefore we bought reserved seats in the north stand.

Complete Madness !

Saint Dan
24th February 2011, 12:31
I am not too concerned with the prime view thing, I sat only a few rows from the front at the Widnes friendly and the view was still fine.

True, I was sat a few rows from the front for the Wire v Catalans CC semi last year (West stand though) and the view was decent.

The Captain
24th February 2011, 12:40
Personally this whole idea of unreserved seating for the bigger matches is quite frankly ridiculous and liable to end up in a complete farce.

It works with absolutely no problem every year at Wigan away.

sonny nuckles
24th February 2011, 13:00
As its unallocated, they can only use 90% of capacity, for health and safety reasons. I heard a rumour that might even be getting reduced to 85%

lost revenue to with empty seats. they should realise the east would sell out

Eddie Hemmings' Wig
24th February 2011, 13:24
Personally this whole idea of unreserved seating for the bigger matches is quite frankly ridiculous and liable to end up in a complete farce. Surely season ticket holders should have their own seat and the remaining tickets are sold with seat numbers. If it is a quieter game you can go and sit where there are spare seats.

This is going to be complete and utter chaos tomorrow night. I love being behind the goals, but I am going with my friend and we like to get a couple of beers and turn up ten mins before kick off. If we did that tomorrow night, we could end up sitting on our own. Therefore we bought reserved seats in the north stand.

Complete Madness !

why should the club cater to a few people who want to rock up less than 10mins before kick off??? What did you do at Knowsley Road on a busy day??

h-bomb
24th February 2011, 13:33
What did you do at Knowsley Road on a busy day??

I'd have thought that was obvious.

They'd turn up 10 minutes before kick-off and barge everybody out of the way and stand on your toes as they franticly try to get to "their" spec with a pint in each hand splashing everywhere.

DD
24th February 2011, 13:50
I've been saying it for ten years, unallocated seating in a big match is a complete joke.

It might work against Harlequins but when it's a game such as this, if you want a decent seat you have to be there an hour early. In the case of tomorrow, because the stand is so small, you probably need to get there even earlier than that.

To compare with terraces is ridiculous. People come and go all game and spaces have to be formed to allow people through so spaces can be found to allowed people to stand too. It's not a defined piece of plastic that one person, no matter what size or shape, and one person only can use.

DD
24th February 2011, 13:52
I'd have thought that was obvious.

They'd turn up 10 minutes before kick-off and barge everybody out of the way and stand on your toes as they franticly try to get to "their" spec with a pint in each hand splashing everywhere.

With the exception of pint hand (because I get my fill before a game), a 100% accurate status of how I used to play it and dead right too. :)

You know, the vast majority of this world have got better things to do than sit watching the grass grow for over an hour. The vast majority of people on a Friday night simply can't get there that early. The club aren't thinking of them are they?

It wasn't against the rules so why not? However, I was physically able to do it. With seats, you can't.

Wanderer
24th February 2011, 13:59
With the exception of pint hand (because I get my fill before a game), a 100% accurate status of how I used to play it and dead right too. :)
And usually the bugger was about 10 feet tall and ruined the good view I had been saving for the 30 minutes I'd been standing there! While there is much that I will miss about Knowsley Road, having beer spilled on me and 10 foot blokes block my view are not two of them. There are some advantages to having a defined area all to yourself!

Gray77
24th February 2011, 14:50
I'm in favour of unallocated seating in the East Stand. If people want a reserved seat then there are two bigger stands with frankly a better view that they can reserve for the whole season if they like.

The club are trying to make the East Stand the atmospheric one, and the only way that can happen is by letting groups of people sit together, allowing the singers to sit/stand at the back and get the noise levels up behind the sticks.

If people think this will obstruct their view, will be annoying, might disturb their enjoyment of the game then may I politely inform them that they maybe shouldn't be in this stand in the first place.

What happens if we allocate seats,and the 200 or so people who try and get songs going are allocated seats all over the stand, sat around moaning killjoys telling them to sit down, shut up etc. The already diluted sense of atmosphere that we all complain about would be even worse if this happened. We don't have a true home advantage this year, but if those 200 or so manage to get an atmosphere going behind the sticks it may spread and go some way to allieviating that problem we will have.

As for people turning up at 7.58 and not being bothered getting there early, well I do that as well and I would argue that the lack of atmosphere contributed to this state of affairs. Nobody could be bothered getting there early and getting an atmosphere going. The sense of anticipation has been lost. When I was a kid I used to get on the Scaff an hour before kick-off for Wigan games, used to get to Central Park an hour before kick-off for Cup semi's etc. The fact that we don't do it now had led to a crappier atmosphere which then led itself to us not bothering to get there early.

We usually create a good atmosphere at Wigan now, mainly because we have to get there early, the louder fans get there early and get to the back and the tension and noise builds towards kick-off. A few more people getting to the game a bit earlier may be a good thing for games like tomorrow.

The Captain
24th February 2011, 18:18
What he ^ said!!

Div
24th February 2011, 18:46
A fully allocated stadium would mean season ticket holders could never bring anyone new along and sit with them. Nobody seems to think of that.

saintstreble
24th February 2011, 19:34
Right, im somewhat confused here by the unallocated seating stuff.
me and my dad have our two season tickets, with our seat numbers, i take it we are definitely seated in our two seats??
or is it different for the bigger games even for season ticket holders??

The Captain
24th February 2011, 19:39
Right, im somewhat confused here by the unallocated seating stuff.
me and my dad have our two season tickets, with our seat numbers, i take it we are definitely seated in our two seats??
or is it different for the bigger games even for season ticket holders??

Yes you will be in the North or South stand where each ticket is allocated a particular seat, the East to which is referred is unallocated.

saintstreble
24th February 2011, 20:00
Yes you will be in the North or South stand where each ticket is allocated a particular seat, the East to which is referred is unallocated.

Ahhhhh thank you! :)

Wanderer
24th February 2011, 20:04
The club are trying to make the East Stand the atmospheric one, and the only way that can happen is by letting groups of people sit together, allowing the singers to sit/stand at the back and get the noise levels up behind the sticks.
And I sincerely hope it works. I'm looking forward to being an Eastender. While the view is better down the sides, and personally I prefer to sit/stand down the sides, I chose the West/East Stand because I hate being quiet during a match. Love to chant, cheer, egg on, abuse the ref (politely, obviously!), that kind of thing and also have the chance of sitting with people I know during the match (and those people may change from week to week). I sacrificed a degree of quality in my view for atmosphere. I hadn't had to do that at Knowsley Road, unless some 10ft bloke stood in front of me, that is.

Div
24th February 2011, 21:03
And I sincerely hope it works. I'm looking forward to being an Eastender. While the view is better down the sides, and personally I prefer to sit/stand down the sides, I chose the West/East Stand because I hate being quiet during a match. Love to chant, cheer, egg on, abuse the ref (politely, obviously!), that kind of thing and also have the chance of sitting with people I know during the match (and those people may change from week to week). I sacrificed a degree of quality in my view for atmosphere. I hadn't had to do that at Knowsley Road, unless some 10ft bloke stood in front of me, that is.

Well I think most of us ex popsiders feel the same but as I wish to stand not much choice . I think it will be good especially at the big games.

Albion
24th February 2011, 21:10
Well I think most of us ex popsiders feel the same but as I wish to stand not much choice . I think it will be good especially at the big games.

As an ex popsider I am sitting on the sidelines. I can't be behind the sticks at a home game, I only go behind the sticks at away matches as it's not the best view.

I'd love to be in an atmospheric part of the ground but hopefully the spread of the popsiders will make it a better atmosphere by getting more people to join in rather than just one side/end

Rogues Gallery
24th February 2011, 21:35

But if most of you pop siders are going behind the sticks, we're going to miss all those shouts of
f - o - r - w - a - r - d.

Personally, like Rimmer I much prefer to watch the game from the side, close to half way.

Albion
24th February 2011, 21:43
Personally, like Rimmer I much prefer to watch the game from the side, close to half way.

I hate not being able to see right down the other end from behind the sticks, at least on the side you have a good view at least of both ends.

Div
24th February 2011, 21:52
But if most of you pop siders are going behind the sticks, we're going to miss all those shouts of
f - o - r - w - a - r - d.

Totally agree ( on the second bit anyway! ) and that is where I stood bang on the half way but sitting is not for me.

Div
24th February 2011, 21:54
I hate not being able to see right down the other end from behind the sticks, at least on the side you have a good view at least of both ends.

Depends how steep it is. I think the view at The HJ is ok. Ideally the standing would have been down the side but at least we do have some terracing.

CHANNEL22
24th February 2011, 21:57
Regarding atmosphere I think the biggest reason for lack of it is that the teams come and warm up on the pitch.

Years ago, espcially in the big games the crowd would build up, create an atmosphere and wait with anticipation until the teams came out, then let all the addrenlin out.

Now, the teams come out when about half an hour before KO to a few thousand, the crowd builds up and the teams go back in for 5 minutes. The crowd doesn't have the time to build an atmosphere

Rogues Gallery
24th February 2011, 22:04
Depends how steep it is. I think the view at The HJ is ok. Ideally the standing would have been down the side but at least we do have some terracing.

At your new ground what is the layout? (Terracing at both ends, terracing at one side, away end seated etc)

Barney Rubble
24th February 2011, 22:07
At your new ground what is the layout? (Terracing at both ends, terracing at one side, away end seated etc)Yup

Scouse Don
24th February 2011, 22:11
I seem to have two unallocated seats for the Northstand..is that right?

saintollie
24th February 2011, 22:17
I seem to have two unallocated seats for the Northstand..is that right?

there are some unallocated north stand seats at each end of the stand so I believe.

Div
24th February 2011, 22:28
At your new ground what is the layout? (Terracing at both ends, terracing at one side, away end seated etc)

The new ground will be terracing at either end behind the sticks , one designated home one away. The rest will be seated.

CHANNEL22
24th February 2011, 22:29

Standing at both ends. Seating down the sides.

Rogues Gallery
24th February 2011, 22:34
Cheers Div & Channel22

Agent Mulder
24th February 2011, 22:44
Totally agree ( on the second bit anyway! ) and that is where I stood bang on the half way but sitting is not for me.

We have always stood bang on the halfway line on the pop side. I like watching from the side so in the new stadium I have had to get a seated one. We will however still be singing, shouting and throwing confetti etc.