PDA

View Full Version : 19 Man Squads for Friday...

Albion
23rd February 2011, 14:58
http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/573

Saints

1. Paul Wellens, 2. Ade Gardner, 3. Michael Shenton, 4. Sia Soliola, 5. Francis Meli, 7. Kyle Eastmond, 9. James Roby, 10. James Graham, 11. Tony Puletua, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Chris Flannery, 14. Scott Moore, 15. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 16. Paul Clough, 19. Andrew Dixon, 20. Jonny Lomax, 22. Jamie Foster, 25, Lee Gaskell, 28. Tom Makinson.

Warrington

1. Brett Hodgson, 2. Chris Riley, 5. Joel Monaghan, 6. Lee Briers, 7. Richie Myler, 8. Adrian Morley, 9. Michael Monaghan, 10. Garreth Carvell, 11. Louis Anderson, 12. Ben Westwood, 13. Ben Harrison, 14. Mickey Higham, 16. Paul Wood, 19. Lee Mitchell, 20. Matty Blythe, 21. Tyrone McCarthy, 23. Ryan Atkins, 24. Rhys Evans, 26. David Solomona.

The Yellow Giraffe
23rd February 2011, 15:02
Assuming that Graham and Wellens are fit, I think we will see the following:

Wellens, Gardner, Shenton, Meli, Foster, Gaskell, Eastmond, Graham, Roby, LMS, Soliola, Wilkin, Flannery

Moore, TP, Clough, Lomax.

That is what I think Simmons will go with. Personally I would prefer giving Lomax a run at 6, with Dixon on the bench and Gaskell missing out, not that he did much wrong against Salford.

Albion
23rd February 2011, 15:12
I think (also assuming Graham and Wellens fit enough to play):

Wellens, Gardner, Shenton, Flannery, Meli, Lomax, Eastmond, Graham, Roby, LMS, Soliola, Moore, Wilkin

Bench: TP, Clough, Dixon and Foster

Harri81
23rd February 2011, 15:12
A strong squad, resulting in a strong team, should be a good game, hopefully it'll be dry for a change.

Albion
23rd February 2011, 15:13
Assuming that Graham and Wellens are fit, I think we will see the following:

Wellens, Gardner, Shenton, Meli, Foster, Gaskell, Eastmond, Graham, Roby, LMS, Soliola, Wilkin, Flannery

Moore, TP, Clough, Lomax.

That is what I think Simmons will go with. Personally I would prefer giving Lomax a run at 6, with Dixon on the bench and Gaskell missing out, not that he did much wrong against Salford.

For me Wilkin has to play 13

The Yellow Giraffe
23rd February 2011, 15:24
I think (also assuming Graham and Wellens fit enough to play):

Wellens, Gardner, Shenton, Flannery, Meli, Lomax, Eastmond, Graham, Roby, LMS, Soliola, Moore, Wilkin

Bench: TP, Clough, Dixon and Foster

Flannery in the centre? Noooooooo!! I have seen milk turn quicker.
And Moore has never been, and will never be, a second rower.

Albion
23rd February 2011, 15:32
Flannery in the centre? Noooooooo!! I have seen milk turn quicker.
And Moore has never been, and will never be, a second rower.

Flannery was a revelation at centre last season and I can't see any other option at centre. Soliola is needed in the second row and Royce seems to prefer having a back on the bench and has named Foster on the bench first two games so probably prefers that option.

Moore for me hasn't got good enough decision making when put in at hooker, but given the effort he puts in and his tackling he could be a good back-rower IMO. I was impressed with him at Cardiff and at Salford (when he wasn't at dummy half) when played in the forwards. Similar to Lunt at Hudds, who also has been used in the back-row.

The Yellow Giraffe
23rd February 2011, 15:49
Flannery was a revelation at centre last season and I can't see any other option at centre. Soliola is needed in the second row and Royce seems to prefer having a back on the bench and has named Foster on the bench first two games so probably prefers that option.

Moore for me hasn't got good enough decision making when put in at hooker, but given the effort he puts in and his tackling he could be a good back-rower IMO. I was impressed with him at Cardiff and at Salford (when he wasn't at dummy half) when played in the forwards. Similar to Lunt at Hudds, who also has been used in the back-row.

Foster started against Salford. And to call Flannery a revelation at centre is extremely kind. It would be a huge case of square pegs and round holes if we were to use Flannery at centre. Meli would be a much much better option, giving his attacking capabilities. And being in the centre also means he has less kicks to defend. Having said that, some of his defence against Salford was highly questionable.
As for Moore, he could be used at 13, but not at second row. In the second row he would be expected to make a lot more "carries" than he would at 13, and this would not suit his game. I dont recall him ever breaking a tackle in his career.

Sausalito
23rd February 2011, 16:09
A strong squad, resulting in a strong team, should be a good game, hopefully it'll be dry for a change.

The forecast for Friday is ...showers in the afternoon.

Syd
23rd February 2011, 16:16
The forecast for Friday is ...showers in the afternoon.

And gushing waterfalls of tears in the evening from Wolf fans.

The Hoss
23rd February 2011, 16:16
Rain will suit us, as im not too confident with our defence when the opposition throw the ball out. Rain = a forwards battle, which we should win.

Wellens
Gardner
Shenton
Meli
Foster
Lomax
Eastmond
Graham
Roby
TP
Wilkin
Soliola
Flannery

Moore
Clough
LMS
Dixon

iwonthebomb
23rd February 2011, 16:19
Rain will suit us, as im not too confident with our defence when the opposition throw the ball out. Rain = a forwards battle, which we should win.

Wellens
Gardner
Shenton
Meli
Foster
Lomax
Eastmond
Graham
Roby
TP
Wilkin
Soliola
Flannery

Moore
Clough
LMS
Dixon

I'd be happy with this line up!

Albion
23rd February 2011, 16:24
Foster started against Salford. And to call Flannery a revelation at centre is extremely kind. It would be a huge case of square pegs and round holes if we were to use Flannery at centre. Meli would be a much much better option, giving his attacking capabilities. And being in the centre also means he has less kicks to defend. Having said that, some of his defence against Salford was highly questionable.
As for Moore, he could be used at 13, but not at second row. In the second row he would be expected to make a lot more "carries" than he would at 13, and this would not suit his game. I dont recall him ever breaking a tackle in his career.

Well we will have to agree to disagree (the whole point of forums I guess) Yes you're right, Foster did start against Salford but only down to the fact Wellens didn't make it.

I think you are being harsh on Flannery at centre, he did a good job in the centre and got a new contract because of it really.

Second row is all about work rate (both attack and defence) and I think he has that. Can you ever remember Mike Bennett breaking a tackle? Yet he was a good back-rower. Breaking tackles isn't everything, leave that to Soliola and TP.

HitTheWall
23rd February 2011, 16:27

Wellens
Gardner
Shenton
Meli
Foster
Lomax
Eastmond
Graham
Roby
TP
Wilkin
Soliola
Flannery

Moore
Clough
LMS
Dixon

I'll go wit that. Keep Meli away from that wing.

Syd
23rd February 2011, 16:52
Very confident about this game. Plus it does not count if we do lose, who cares if we lose at Widnes, the RFL have announced it would not count and our run against the Wolfs would continue in 2012 from the Halo Dome.

The Yellow Giraffe
23rd February 2011, 16:54
Second row is all about work rate (both attack and defence) and I think he has that. Can you ever remember Mike Bennett breaking a tackle? Yet he was a good back-rower. Breaking tackles isn't everything, leave that to Soliola and TP.

Thats a fair point with regards to Bennett. But at least he could take a ball in with at least a little bit of conviction. I just dont see Moore as the type of player who would suit the position.

kirk1989
23rd February 2011, 17:29
Wellens
Gardner
Shenton
Meli
Foster
Gaskell
Eastmond
LMS
Roby
Grahamn
Soliola
Wilkin
Flannery

Puletua
Clough
Moore
Lomax

I wasnt gonna put Lomax in but he played well recently but dont think he trumps foster on the wing and Gaskell at 6 also with our injury luck he may well be needed at 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 7 before end of the game.

Albion
23rd February 2011, 17:47
Thats a fair point with regards to Bennett. But at least he could take a ball in with at least a little bit of conviction. I just dont see Moore as the type of player who would suit the position.

Watch his performance from Cardiff and you will see how well he can run the ball.

I know its only two games in but so far he has made 237 metres from 47 carries which is about 5 metres per carry, 32 tackles and made 3 tackle busts.

Driftking78
23rd February 2011, 19:25
Gaskell & Makinson to miss out. Could do with some power coming off the bench so id go for

Wellens
Gardner
Shenton
Meli
Foster
Wilkin
Eastmond
LMS
Roby
Graham
Dixon
Soliola
Flannery

Moore
Clough
TP
Lomax

danny82007
23rd February 2011, 19:26

Wellens
Gardner
Shenton
Meli
Foster
Lomax
Eastmond
Graham
Roby
TP
Wilkin
Soliola
Flannery

Moore
Clough
LMS
Dixon

good but i would swap LMS and TP, TP is really good off the bench against a tired defence and also wilkin to 13 with flannery at 11

johnnyl
23rd February 2011, 19:51
. And to call Flannery a revelation at centre is extremely kind.

Absolutely. Rather than being ordinary like he normally is, he became quite good when playing at center. I certainly wouldnt rule him out of that position, but as you say using the word revelation is a touch OTT.

Albion
23rd February 2011, 22:19
Absolutely. Rather than being ordinary like he normally is, he became quite good when playing at center. I certainly wouldnt rule him out of that position, but as you say using the word revelation is a touch OTT.

OK maybe the word 'revelation' was a little strong.

I was trying to give a strong argument ;)

hazzo21
24th February 2011, 08:40
Gaskell & Makinson to miss out. Could do with some power coming off the bench so id go for

Wellens
Gardner
Shenton
Meli
Foster
Wilkin
Eastmond
LMS
Roby
Graham
Dixon
Soliola
Flannery

Moore
Clough
TP
Lomax

Why oh why would we play Wilkin at 6?
a) Every time he has played there we have struggled.
b) We have two far more natural stand-offs in the 19 in Lomax and Gaskell
c) Wilkin is far better as a back-rower when used more of a runner than a ball-handler.

He is definitely a last resort at 6 for me.

1986ste
24th February 2011, 08:43
i would go with

wellens
Gardner
Shenton
lomax
Meli
gaskell
Eastmond
LMS
Roby
Graham
wilkin
Soliola
Flannery

Moore
Clough
TP
foster

The Hoss
24th February 2011, 11:12
I cant see us picking Gaskell for a game as big as this. He did ok Vs Salford last week, but you never know. He impressed me at Salford and has maasive potential. But i think Royce will throw in Lomax instead, with Wello being back.

The Hoss
24th February 2011, 11:13
Why oh why would we play Wilkin at 6?
a) Every time he has played there we have struggled.
b) We have two far more natural stand-offs in the 19 in Lomax and Gaskell
c) Wilkin is far better as a back-rower when used more of a runner than a ball-handler.

He is definitely a last resort at 6 for me.

Agreed... Only seen Wilkin have one good game when he's played at 6, that ws about 2 years ago at Leeds in the CC. think it was the game he nailed a 40/20 too.. He's more suited at 2nd row.

Reacher
24th February 2011, 11:15
Agreed... Only seen Wilkin have one good game when he's played at 6, that ws about 2 years ago at Leeds in the CC. think it was the game he nailed a 40/20 too.. He's more suited at 2nd row.

IIRC I don't even think it was stand off, think he played scrum half that day.

Wanderer
24th February 2011, 12:59
I cant see us picking Gaskell for a game as big as this.
I hope Gaskell does get a second shot at it. Didn't he play scrum half in the youth leagues? If I'm right about that then I think he needs as much game time as possible at first grade level to see if he could make the step up should Kyle leave us. I also think the team needs stability after all the messing around of last season. He also appears to know when to kick and when he kicked for the try it was a nifty one, perfectly weighted. That's a good sign, especially if Kyle practises his kicking and we also have Robes and Wilko who can kick. We could kick Warrington to death! But most of all, for me anyway, giving him experience to see what he can do bearing in mind our possible shortage of a no.7 next year makes me hope Simmons opts for Gaskell.

Talk some sense!
24th February 2011, 13:15
For us to see the best of John Wilkin he must be used at 13.

LMS to start too with Graham, TP off the bench is a fantastic option to have.

Albion
24th February 2011, 13:33
For us to see the best of John Wilkin he must be used at 13.

LMS to start too with Graham, TP off the bench is a fantastic option to have.

Agreed, especially on the point regarding Wilkin

The Wee Waa Womble
24th February 2011, 14:26
Wellens, Gardner, Shenton, Meli, Foster, Lomax, Eastmond, Graham, Roby, LMS, Soliola, Flannery, Wilkin

Subs: Moore, Clough, Puletua, Dixon

It's Wire at home, I'd rather go for experience so Gaskell and Makinson to miss out.

saint cross
24th February 2011, 14:47
Wellens, Gardner, Shenton, Meli, Foster, Lomax, Eastmond, Graham, Roby, LMS, Soliola, Flannery, Wilkin

Subs: Moore, Clough, Puletua, Dixon

It's Wire at home, I'd rather go for experience so Gaskell and Makinson to miss out.

Cant see anything other than this myself

kirk1989
25th February 2011, 17:15
Gaskell at 6 tonight.

hope he handles it well and kicks wire to death.

I;m confident in the lad though.