PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Matches

Wanderer
20th February 2011, 15:53
At the time of writing ...

Harlequins have just beaten Crusaders by two points. I wanted both these teams to win: Crusaders so they would get rid of their minus number and Quins because it would be good for the game in London for them to win two on the bounce. However, Crusaders will have to try better next time!

Bradford are being absolutely hammered at home by Wigan. That's just the way to impress all those Bradford fans who bought season tickets! I note that Potter mentioned something about defensive tactics to counteract Wigan. Hmmm! I can't see any way back for Bradford. Not a good start to the season by them.

Hull KR are beating Warrington at home but only by a little bit so that could change.

Wanderer
20th February 2011, 16:18
Well, Bradford have managed to put 10 on the board, holding Wigan to 26 at the moment but I just can't see Wigan letting that lead go somehow!

Warrington sneaking back on KR 18-22 at present. Sounds like it's either a scrappy game or a good one!

Wanderer
20th February 2011, 16:27
Damn. Wigan scored again. I hate Wigan winning anything!

saintollie
20th February 2011, 16:34
dire sounds like a cracking game, 3,mins left 22 each!!! can dire miss again?

Driftking78
20th February 2011, 16:35
Warrington match sounds a good one.
Think they might push us all the way on Friday.

saintollie
20th February 2011, 16:36
Warrington match sounds a good one.
Think they might push us all the way on Friday.

to be fair they usually do these days!

Driftking78
20th February 2011, 16:37
Warrington 24 Hull KR 22

Wanderer
20th February 2011, 16:43
Bloody hell! 10-44 to the Pies! They're now level with us on points difference. Bugger!

Blobbynator
20th February 2011, 16:46
Bloody hell! 10-44 to the Pies! They're now level with us on points difference. Bugger!

It's only round 2. :D

Can't believe Warrington snatched it at the death. It would've been nice to see them at played 3 lost 3 after our game.

Wanderer
20th February 2011, 16:50
It's only round 2. :D
Yes. But ... but ... but ... it's the Pies! ;)

Can't believe Warrington snatched it at the death. It would've been nice to see them at played 3 lost 3 after our game.
True. From reading the Hull KR boards on RLFans it sounds like KR haven't changed much: they weren't completing sets but dropping the ball a lot. They do seem to have that weakness. Mind you, with the number of tries Warrington scored, their investment in Hodgson isn't yet bearing fruit, unless someone else was sharing kicking duties.

foozler
20th February 2011, 17:35
Good on Quins.

I know it was Crusaders in town and wouldn't expect too many to travel but the BBC is showing only 1766 punters at the Stoop today. Surely there must be some local schools they can give a load of freebies to and try to get more in the ground?

ploughman
20th February 2011, 17:46
Poor show 1766.I wonder how many Widnes,Leigh or Halifax would have got at home to Crusaders in Super League?or even Wakefield.Quinns have no future.They have to move away from a union stronghold area.Quinns have had long enough now.To think clubs(including saints)would have lost their super league license due to their ground,yet quinns can get away with crowds like this.

saint mully
20th February 2011, 17:51
Yeah, the Quins crowd is a worry, they seem to have been reducing gradually since they moved to the Stoop.
On the flip side over 15,000 at Odsal after their big ST offer. They'll probably have to improve on the field to maintain them though. I listened to the Wire/Hull KR game on the radio. Sounded like a very exciting tense match, albeit with several mistakes being made. Also seems that the Warrington attack is still influenced by whether Briers is on the field.

Wanderer
20th February 2011, 18:21
Aside from possibly being in the wrong part of town (is there a right part of town in London?), the problem with Quins is that under their previous coach they became dismal. Without a history there to drag in the loyal fans whose fathers and grandfathers attended, the number of home losses the Quins suffered over the last two or three seasons will just kill off crowds. Quins have to start winning at home on a regular basis for them to have a hope of pulling anyone into matches on a regular basis. According to Sky the match went to the wire, in that it was only because a pass went to ground from Crusaders that the Quins won in the end (having been granted a penalty to get them two points ahead). That sounds like it could have been an exciting match even though the conditions didn't sound too good. If it was and since Quins have won, that will help. They need many more of those kinds of matches to start pulling in the punters again.

ploughman
20th February 2011, 18:36
they need to move.if they won every home match this season they would still struggle to averageve 4k.it was allways a risky move going to the stoop,at the end of this season it will have been proved to be disastrous.

The_Nator
20th February 2011, 19:45
Poor show 1766.I wonder how many Widnes,Leigh or Halifax would have got at home to Crusaders in Super League?or even Wakefield.Quinns have no future.They have to move away from a union stronghold area.Quinns have had long enough now.To think clubs(including saints)would have lost their super league license due to their ground,yet quinns can get away with crowds like this.

Living in London I noticed in the London Evening Standard (Free paper given out every evening which pretty much everyone reads on the tube/train on the way home) had an advert for the game in the sports section practically every day last week as well. Can't say they aren't trying but that attendance really is awful.

ploughman
20th February 2011, 20:17
Living in London I noticed in the London Evening Standard (Free paper given out every evening which pretty much everyone reads on the tube/train on the way home) had an advert for the game in the sports section practically every day last week as well. Can't say they aren't trying but that attendance really is awful.

as a 'local',do you think it would help them if they did move?

The_Nator
20th February 2011, 23:23
as a 'local',do you think it would help them if they did move?

I've only lived here for 6 months so I really don't know much about harlequins and their move to be honest. All I do know is that trying to convince anyone down here that rugby league is worth watching is like banging your head against a brick wall.

Saint Dan
21st February 2011, 11:31
Warrington were very lucky to snatch the win in the end. They seemed to lack go forward and were more interested in going from left to right than actually going forward. Briers was the key, when he went off they looked poor and Myler couldn't direct them anywhere, he looked lost. Briers came back on and they had some direction.

I was also very impressed with Hull KR. The defence they showed for about 60-70 minutes was unbelievable at times. They also seemed to be able to make yards on Wire, particularly coming away from their own line.

foozler
21st February 2011, 12:07
I've only lived here for 6 months so I really don't know much about harlequins and their move to be honest. All I do know is that trying to convince anyone down here that rugby league is worth watching is like banging your head against a brick wall.

The Stoop isn't the easiest of grounds to get to using public transport and of course the Quins name will put some people off, yet it seems the community game is in rude health in the South East and is producing quality players like LMS and Tony Clubb amongst others.

Aside the issues specific to the club, I often wonder whether the RFL should look at staging another fixture at Wembley during the regular season, maybe have a double header of Lancashire v Yorkshire fixtures eg Saints v Leeds & Wigan v Hull FC. If they're going to persist with Cardiff in February, Wembley sometime in May after the FA Cup final could work and I'm sure a decent crowd could be had. Afterall if Saracens can get 45,000 to a regular RU match, surely we can get 50-60 to the national stadium?

DD
21st February 2011, 13:15
Plenty of excuses are trotted about for the Quins, especially the location of the ground, but the location of the ground has always been the same since they became Quins and the crowds are getting worse.

Why on earth the Rugby Union club put up with this Mickey Mouse outfit I don't know, but I suggest it won't be long before they terminate the partnership.

London Broncos losing the identity and moving in with Harlequins was the beginning of the end for the club.

In a couple of years, London RL will have retreated back to London Skolars only. There might be a few interested in playing the game down there now but no bugger is interested in watching it, and without the spectators, the game dies.

Div
21st February 2011, 13:46
Plenty of excuses are trotted about for the Quins, especially the location of the ground, but the location of the ground has always been the same since they became Quins and the crowds are getting worse.

Why on earth the Rugby Union club put up with this Mickey Mouse outfit I don't know, but I suggest it won't be long before they terminate the partnership.

London Broncos losing the identity and moving in with Harlequins was the beginning of the end for the club.

In a couple of years, London RL will have retreated back to London Skolars only. There might be a few interested in playing the game down there now but no bugger is interested in watching it, and without the spectators, the game dies.

Come on Dave get with the program.

Repeat the mantra " Harlequins are a massive sucess and their continuation is paramount for the survival of Super League. They are doing unrivalled development work off the pitch"

Buddy
21st February 2011, 15:40
Plenty of excuses are trotted about for the Quins, especially the location of the ground, but the location of the ground has always been the same sinc

Come on Dave get with the program.

Repeat the mantra " Harlequins are a massive sucess and their continuation is paramount for the survival of Super League. They are doing unrivalled development work off the pitch"

You could be ex communicated by the RFL church for such heresy

Wanderer
21st February 2011, 15:57
" Harlequins are a massive sucess and their continuation is paramount for the survival of Super League. They are doing unrivalled development work off the pitch"
I don't think anyone would claim that Harlequins are any kind of success bar the obvious opportunities they are giving to young rugby players, not just the ones who are now appearing in the first team but those who play at amateur level and in local schools. Having a club in the top flight means there is something to aim for.