PDA

View Full Version : stevo vs barnes

paulscnthorpe
17th February 2011, 17:57
anyone else see it on SSN this afternoon. thought stevo came out of it quite poorly, he obviously loves the sport, but it came across as him being very bitter and derogatory to rugby union. barnes came out with some good points, quite well constructed whereas stevo seemed hellbent on causing an argument

Wizards Sleeve
17th February 2011, 18:08
We all know Barnes hates League but he had Stevo for dinner. Fair point about Hape not being good enough, (would he have got into England team had he come through the ranks of an RU club), possibly not. But Stevo just does my head in. On SSN I can watch an interview about pretty much any sport, with just about any presenter on that channel and generally feel informed, even if I don't know much about the sport. When knob-head comes on I cringe. I often wonder what other people outside our game think of his utter bollocks every time he opens his gob.

I think Barnes was just agreeing with him in the end as you say. Just to prevent an argument and shut him up.

He was on again later reviewing the Magic weekend. The usual shite. Wigan didn't deserve to lose after dominating????? the game for 65 minutes. Gave us a bit of credit at the end for the comeback.

Wanderer
17th February 2011, 18:15
Stevo is an embarrassment to rugby league.

Sean Day
17th February 2011, 18:19
And yet some people still prefer to listen to him than the likes of Phil Clarke and Jon Wells who can actually string a sentence together

Private Pyle
17th February 2011, 18:22
You can watch it here if you're interested:
http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12780_6757795,00.html

I don't think he came off too badly, he's still a tool though

Blobbynator
17th February 2011, 18:32
You can watch it here if you're interested:
http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12780_6757795,00.html

I don't think he came off too badly, he's still a tool though

Jesus christ, that's really embarrassing.

Lex
17th February 2011, 18:34
And yet some people still prefer to listen to him than the likes of Phil Clarke and Jon Wells who can actually string a sentence together

These 2 are the future of RL on Sky. Jon Wells in particular has been a revelation.

Samba
17th February 2011, 19:58
Jesus christ, that's really embarrassing.

I'm sorry, but I was expecting some highly embarrassing performance and extreme bitterness - I didn't see that. I saw some mutual respect given, albeit maybe a little begrudgingly.

paulscnthorpe
17th February 2011, 20:06
I'm sorry, but I was expecting some highly embarrassing performance and extreme bitterness - I didn't see that. I saw some mutual respect given, albeit maybe a little begrudgingly.

i didn't think stevo showed any respect to rugby union really, whereas barnes (who i've always thought was a complete bell) seemed to give a lot more balanced view. the discussion was supposed to be about 'cross-code' players, not which sport is better.. i think someone would have been into the SSN presenters saying 'er we need to try and sell both sports to both sets of fans'

Bainsey
17th February 2011, 20:08
What a muppet Stevo is. Shame it was Andy Gray and not him who was sacked by Sky. Cringeworthy stuff!

ma barker
17th February 2011, 20:18
I only caught one or two of his inane comments. He was talking about good value for money when adults were paying an average £5 per game at the magic weekend.
Hmmm. What about the diesel/petrol/train fare, the hotel bill, food and drink etc.
The man is a fool.

saint_yick
17th February 2011, 20:36
only 1 way to settle this, FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT :biggrin:

Paul H
17th February 2011, 21:31
We didn't complain when the R U players came to league, the players go where the money is & at the moment RU have the dosh.

Tallahassee
17th February 2011, 21:34
I'd fancy Stevo against Barnes.

jonnythesaint
17th February 2011, 22:29
At least Stevo has a hint of charisma. Wells, Clarke, Cullen et al may be more informative, but they also have the personality of a piece of 3x2.

I thought the "debate" made a good ten minutes of tele. Both are passionate supporters of their sports, yet both have the utmost respct for the other.

THELAST3YARDS
17th February 2011, 22:42
Sky couldnt even get Stevo's name correct in the caption below the interview

"Stuart Barnes and Mike Stephens joined Adam Leventhal in the Sky Sports studio to debate players switching codes from rugby league to union and vice versa"

Albion
18th February 2011, 12:49
I don't think it was embarrassing at all if I'm being honest, it was a debate and both men stuck up for their respective sport.

I'm suprised at how highly Barnes rated our sport, more than he lets on really, but he is right in what he says: the difference between the codes is the global appeal of union and nothing more really.

Div
18th February 2011, 12:53
I rate Brian Carney , he comes across as really knowlegeble and presents himself well. He also doesnt toe the party line with Stadler and Waldorf, he tells it like it is.

Gray77
18th February 2011, 13:28
Agree with most of the points made. Eddie and Stevo no doubt love the sport and think they are doing a good job promoting the sport. But they toe the line too often, never really criticise the RFL's decisions and come across as PR men for the comp and not impartial media analysts.

I agree with Div, Brian Carney is coming on leaps and bounds. The amount of times I watch a game and wonder what the hell E&S are talking about he will chip in with the opposite view and stop me from ranting at the screen. Keep Stevo for half-time and full-time studio stuff if necessary, but get him off the in-game commentary and give his ample air-time to Carney, Clarke and Wells.

retro74
18th February 2011, 14:02
Stevo may come across as a complete tool to some of us but his views probably represent a large proportion of the RL community.

Watching that was like a microcosm of the RL vs RU debate in general with Stevo being stuck in the past & claiming it's the greatest game and Barnes taking a wider & more intelligent view of sport in general.

Did RL no favours at all.

One Mal Meninga
18th February 2011, 22:06
Can't say I watched it all - I got too embarrassed at 4 mins and switched it off. Stuart Barnes couldn't believe his luck, he made a few pertinent points, then sat back and let the idiot hang himself. Stevo has got the ability to say so much and actually say nothing at all.
RL domestic club game is stronger and far more entertaining, but for me that is where it ends. Heineken Cup, Autumn internationals, 6 nations, RU world cup gives Union massive national exposure, maybe, just maybe its not just all about the money for Eastmond.

Bobbie The Bomb
18th February 2011, 23:43
They'd have been putting Eddie on instead of that tube, but Sky probably knew what was goin to happen, but he did the game no favours with his rant.