PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Wing

racing11119
12th February 2011, 22:29
Did anyone see the chicken wing tackle Wilkin complained about? Was it? I saw one really early on that seemed to go unnoticed by everyone!

Billy Bunter
12th February 2011, 22:34
There was a far worse one in the 1st half (probably the one you saw), I think also by Lima, this time on Soliola. No complaints from the players at the time but it looked like the perfect example of a chicken wing to me.

Wasn't it the Melbourne Storm players under Bellamy and Maguire (seem to remember Cameron Smith missing a GF for a grapple tackle suspension) who were some of the most proficicent users of the grapple and chicken wing tackles a couple of years back?

wabo
12th February 2011, 22:49
how gay did wilkin look tho'?

what has the world come to when in a game of RL a player pulls up the ref to make "an official complaint" about an opposing player?

Saint_Claire
12th February 2011, 22:56
Well as the bad one passed the ref by earlier, perhaps highlighting the same player doing it again might make them look twice at him. And personally I don't think Wilkin looks gay at all. And even if he was.....well this is a rugby forum, not going to expand on that :)

parrsaint
12th February 2011, 23:02
I have seen far worse but Lima did look as though he leaned into Wilkins shoulder and appeared to apply pressure.

It's unusual for a player to complain to the ref like that considering the tough nature of the sport but maybe just something had to be said as Wilkin had had enough. He clearly wasn't happy when he got up from the tackle.

The incident also seemed to fire Wilkin up from then on in and he played better.

Albion
12th February 2011, 23:22

what has the world come to when in a game of RL a player pulls up the ref to make "an official complaint" about an opposing player?

What a ridiculous post.

What would you have rather him do: throw a punch get sent off? shout at the ref which only will result in a penalty against us? Do the same back next time he tackles someone?

If he would have done any of the things above I would guarantee that you would have slated him for being stupid. He was professional about it, didn't make a fuss, the incident was over in a matter of seconds and the game was carried on as normal.

Lygase
12th February 2011, 23:25
is there now an official on field 'complaints procedure' whereby players can, if they feel inclined to do so, report an opposing player for something dangerous the ref missed, and like tonight, for the incident to be placed on report and for the RFL to review it?

seemed like it to me

Albion
12th February 2011, 23:31
is there now an official on field 'complaints procedure' whereby players can, if they feel inclined to do so, report an opposing player for something dangerous the ref missed, and like tonight, for the incident to be placed on report and for the RFL to review it?

seemed like it to me

I'm guessing Wilkin told the ref what happened as he wasn't best pleased with it immediately after the incident, so Mr Silverwood probably said do you want to make an official complaint.

I would like more refs to do this as long as it's reasonable. It allows mutual respect between players and officials as it shows how they are listened to and sends the message out that screaming and shouting at the ref is not the way to go about it.

wabo
12th February 2011, 23:35
What a ridiculous post.

What would you have rather him do: throw a punch get sent off? shout at the ref which only will result in a penalty against us? Do the same back next time he tackles someone?

If he would have done any of the things above I would guarantee that you would have slated him for being stupid. He was professional about it, didn't make a fuss, the incident was over in a matter of seconds and the game was carried on as normal.

Yeah throw a punch or at least try a sly dig in the next tackle or go for a big hit this is rugby league not question time.

He looked soft as shite in the toughest most testosterone fuelled sport in the world. Before we know it the game will be non contact and will be played round a desk with people telling tales on one another.

Agent Mulder
12th February 2011, 23:41
What's the difference between wilkin complaining to the ref about a chicken wing tackle and a player complaining about being bitten in a tackle. I've seen a few players complain about being bitten. If he felt that he needed to complain to the ref then that's up to him.

wabo
12th February 2011, 23:43
Biting is a different level altogether tho isnt it. We start complaining about chicken wings, which to be fair are near enough common place now...next we'll start complaining about high tackles, then it'll be offsides etc etc.

Power_of_the_Pie
12th February 2011, 23:53
Biting is a different level altogether tho isnt it. We start complaining about chicken wings, which to be fair are near enough common place now...next we'll start complaining about high tackles, then it'll be offsides etc etc.

Have you never watched Iestyn Harris or Lee Briers?

Albion
13th February 2011, 00:46
He looked soft as shite in the toughest most testosterone fuelled sport in the world.

Get a grip. Do you not realise how ridiculous that sounds?

Darren Bloor
13th February 2011, 07:09

I don't think so. Being bitten hardly threatens to end your career.

An attitude like yours is exactly the problem with how this sort of tackle is dealt with - these are tackling techniques aimed at injuring players and should be dealt with most severely. I am sure Jason Cayless would have an opinion on all this...

BoldMiners
13th February 2011, 09:27

seemed like it to me

We are entering a very dangerous area for our sport if a player can approach a referee about an infringement and the referee says “I didn't see it, the TJs didn't see it, but I'll put it on report for you anyway!”

Scouse Don
13th February 2011, 09:39
We are entering a very dangerous area for our sport if a player can approach a referee about an infringement and the referee says “I didn't see it, the TJs didn't see it, but I'll put it on report for you anyway!”

That's nonsense when 3 million see it on tv !! That's why we have the video judge...it's perfectly reasonable to me. Wabo I think you should edit the Gay comment it does you no credit.

are you blind ref
13th February 2011, 10:01
I think it's a sensible way forward. It's a rough game but it shouldn't be a dirty game, anything that risks injuring a player risks ruining their career and I think it's quite reasonable to ask for it to be dealt with. Far better to do it it that way than to retaliate physically, get sent off and make your team a man down.

Wanderer
13th February 2011, 11:09
I think it's a sensible way forward. It's a rough game but it shouldn't be a dirty game, anything that risks injuring a player risks ruining their career and I think it's quite reasonable to ask for it to be dealt with. Far better to do it it that way than to retaliate physically, get sent off and make your team a man down.
Please don't talk sense, the daft rantings are so much more fun (not!)!

the priest
13th February 2011, 12:31
Hope someone chicken wings him every week. Finally woke him up

Albion
13th February 2011, 16:24
I think it's a sensible way forward... Far better to do it it that way than to retaliate physically, get sent off and make your team a man down.

Tell that to Wabo.

That poster would rather Wilkin get sent off for punching him then on his way off say that he has a bigger manhood than everyone on the pitch to make him look like a proper RL player...

Lex
13th February 2011, 19:26

I have too disagree 100% on this. CW are dangerous career threatening tackles, I dont for a second think they are common place, I think biting is probably more common place than the CW. I would'nt mind betting, that if a player had to be on the receiving end of either a bite or CW, he would say a bite every time.

SAINTSAM
13th February 2011, 21:06
Thought Jon handled it well as did the ref. No dramatics just a word shame the Wigan skipper couldn't be more professional.The ref must have had a word in his ear from the video ref as well

Lex
13th February 2011, 21:11
Thought Jon handled it well as did the ref. No dramatics just a word shame the Wigan skipper couldn't be more professional.The ref must have had a word in his ear from the video ref as well
Am I right in understanding, that O'loughlin mouthed off and called Wilkin something that was deemed offensive, and warranted an apology from Sky. If so, you are correct, shame on that g#bsh#te

Wanderer
13th February 2011, 22:13
Am I right in understanding, that O'loughlin mouthed off and called Wilkin something that was deemed offensive, and warranted an apology from Sky.
O'Loughlin did make a comment and the Sky commentators did apologise for his 'industrial language'.

Paul Newlove
13th February 2011, 23:03
I don't think so. Being bitten hardly threatens to end your career.

An attitude like yours is exactly the problem with how this sort of tackle is dealt with - these are tackling techniques aimed at injuring players and should be dealt with most severely. I am sure Jason Cayless would have an opinion on all this...

Spot on,the chicken wing is probably the most sly,devious,cowardly tackle in the game,players play the game hard and aim to 'hurt' but within the laws of the game in the way Keiron,Freddie Tuilagi and Scott Gibbs did,but trying to end a players career is downright disgusting whatever player whatever club.

parrp
14th February 2011, 11:31
Charged with two one on soliola and one on wilkin. www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/11/02/14/RUGBYL_Disciplinary.html&BID=480

Scouse Don
14th February 2011, 11:45
Hope this sets a marker down for the rest of the season.

bazzo
14th February 2011, 14:45
if Lima and Wigan feel they need to maime players to win games, whats the sport coming to ! give the dirty bu**er 3 matches

Wanderer
14th February 2011, 14:51
Hope this sets a marker down for the rest of the season.
That would be good, but what are the chances of the RFL following through on this? If it is anything like the last umpteen seasons he will be let off with a warning letter.

Private Pyle
14th February 2011, 14:54

Are you on drugs or just an idiot? Chicken wing tackles are one of the most dangerous 'techniques' in RL in what is already one of the toughest sports in the world. Your comparison is just pure stupidity, player safety should be paramount and if players can politely raise concerns with a referee rather than shouting and screaming, despite the fact that his career may have been at risk in such a tackle, then well done Jon Wilkin

HitTheWall
14th February 2011, 15:08
The one on Soliola is one of the most blatant chicken wing tackles you'll see. Oh how you can tell Lima has come from Melbourne. Dirty get.

HitTheWall
14th February 2011, 15:11

Ridiculous post.

Chicken wings arent accidental, they are deliberate, high tackles the majority of time are accidental and misjudged, if they're not and are deemed to be malicious it's a straight red card. Chicken wings are deliberate and can cause a world of damge. They can be career-ending. There's no need for them.

HitTheWall
14th February 2011, 15:15
Am I right in understanding, that O'loughlin mouthed off and called Wilkin something that was deemed offensive, and warranted an apology from Sky. If so, you are correct, shame on that g#bsh#te

He just said 'f'in hell', clearly didn't appreciate Wilkin going through the proper channels instead of taking matters into his own hands. Well done Jon for keeping your cool.

parrp
14th February 2011, 15:20
He could be on for a potential 6 matches. Grade c 3 matches each. Think he is more likely to get 2-3 for both offences to be overturned to 1 at appeal.

The Yellow Giraffe
14th February 2011, 15:44

Moron alert! Moron alert!

bazdev
14th February 2011, 15:45
He could be on for a potential 6 matches. Grade c 3 matches each. Think he is more likely to get 2-3 for both offences to be overturned to 1 at appeal.

If found guilty

Agent Mulder
14th February 2011, 15:50
If found guilty

No doubt he will be let off - the WCC is just around the corner. No way will they make him miss that.

wabo
14th February 2011, 15:57
Ridiculous post.

Chicken wings arent accidental, they are deliberate, high tackles the majority of time are accidental and misjudged, if they're not and are deemed to be malicious it's a straight red card. Chicken wings are deliberate and can cause a world of damge. They can be career-ending. There's no need for them.

I didnt say chicken wings were accidental, are you claiming biting is accidental? And if this dreaded chicken wing is such a dangerous thing how come they dont warrant a straight red?

wabo
14th February 2011, 15:58
Are you on drugs or just an idiot? Chicken wing tackles are one of the most dangerous 'techniques' in RL in what is already one of the toughest sports in the world. Your comparison is just pure stupidity, player safety should be paramount and if players can politely raise concerns with a referee rather than shouting and screaming, despite the fact that his career may have been at risk in such a tackle, then well done Jon Wilkin

Wilkins career was at risk a long time before jeff lima chicken winged him

wabo
14th February 2011, 16:00
Moron alert! Moron alert!

jog on

parrp
14th February 2011, 16:18
If found guilty

I can see of no reason why not..

Glenn
14th February 2011, 16:25
if sam tomkins would of complained about a cw tackle we would of slated him.....time to man up wilkin

Reacher
14th February 2011, 16:28
if sam tomkins would of complained about a cw tackle we would of slated him.....time to man up wilkin

I really fail to see why he has to "man up" This is a guy who played the 2006 CC final with a broken nose pumping with blood nearly causing him to choke. A guy who plays in one of the toughest contact sports in the world.

The chicken wing tackle is a potential career ending one e.g. Cayless. He brought it to the refs attention in a correct manner. He did not cry or scream or have a hissy fit. He was professional and allowed the ref to be aware of what was going on. The fact that Lima has been cited for 2 shows that Wilkin had a point.

Lex
14th February 2011, 16:35
I really fail to see why he has to "man up" This is a guy who played the 2006 CC final with a broken nose pumping with blood nearly causing him to choke. A guy who plays in one of the toughest contact sports in the world.

The chicken wing tackle is a potential career ending one e.g. Cayless. He brought it to the refs attention in a correct manner. He did not cry or scream or have a hissy fit. He was professional and allowed the ref to be aware of what was going on. The fact that Lima has been cited for 2 shows that Wilkin had a point.
Pretty much sums it up.
To call Wilkin less of a man for using the correct procedure to cite a man, for using what is a dangerous, cowardly tackle is just ridiculous.

Syd
14th February 2011, 17:31

You mean he should have made the complaint after the game to the officials, not whilst the game was in flow ?
Or you mean he should just accept the tackle, and get on with it ?

Barney Rubble
14th February 2011, 17:59

The chicken wing tackle is a potential career ending one e.g. Cayless. He brought it to the refs attention in a correct manner. He did not cry or scream or have a hissy fit. He was professional and allowed the ref to be aware of what was going on. The fact that Lima has been cited for 2 shows that Wilkin had a point.This kind of tackle is one of the most cowardly tricks you can do on a pitch ! No way should anyone get away with it.
The thing is, the way Wilkin went about it. He looked like a kid at school "grassing" on someone. Why coudlnt we, as a club, cite him after the game like has always been done ?

saintollie
14th February 2011, 18:04
just out of interest the disciplinary rota

http://www.therfl.co.uk/~rflmedia/docs/DISCIPLINARY%20ROTA%202011_FEB-MAY.pdf

Tues 15th February
P Charlesworth
J Hamer
J Wells
Weds 16th February (Appeals)
R Grant
N McAvoy
R Bridge

HitTheWall
14th February 2011, 18:31
I didnt say chicken wings were accidental, are you claiming biting is accidental?

No, you were one who made the comparison between chicken wings and high tackles, I was just pointing out why and how ridiculous that comparison actually is.

HitTheWall
14th February 2011, 18:35

Maybe so at the time with my Saints specs on for being a whingeing get, but at the same time I would have slated whoever it is who did the chicken wing. We don't play like that. We've had serious injuries due to a CW tackle, Jason Cayless being the main one, there's no need to get down to that level. Let's not start playing dirty. Wilkin's going through the right channels, better him do that than lose his head during the game tryna get retribution.

Reacher
14th February 2011, 18:41
This kind of tackle is one of the most cowardly tricks you can do on a pitch ! No way should anyone get away with it.
The thing is, the way Wilkin went about it. He looked like a kid at school "grassing" on someone. Why coudlnt we, as a club, cite him after the game like has always been done ?

I disagree. By doing what he did, he focused the refs attention on the tackling and no doubt he would have been more vigilant particularly when Lima was tackling. Its such a potentially damaging tackle that Wilkin was looking after his own safety and the rest of the players.

Wanderer
14th February 2011, 18:49
Sam Tomkins is there to be slated so he doesn't count.

Besides, Jon Wilkin did a neat little move on Lima later on which gained us a useful penalty. There are ways and means that don't result in penalties or cards against us. I'd much rather Wilkin use his head than his fists on those occasions. Leave the biff to the likes of Perry when he joins the party.

Saint_Claire
14th February 2011, 21:07

The dangerous area is if these tackles aren't seen and allowed to happen. Then the same player thinks they can do it again as they got away with it before, and the next one causes a serious injury. It is only by bringing attention to them that they are highlighted and players then think twice before trying it again.

Lex
14th February 2011, 21:12
The dangerous area is if these tackles aren't seen and allowed to happen. Then the same player thinks they can do it again as they got away with it before, and the next one causes a serious injury. It is only by bringing attention to them that they are highlighted and players then think twice before trying it again.

He should'nt even be thinking once about doing such a tackle, never mind about thinking twice.

Saint_Claire
14th February 2011, 22:15
He should'nt even be thinking once about doing such a tackle, never mind about thinking twice.

No of course he shouldn't but clearly some players do, as it tends to be a repeated incident by some of them.

Lex
14th February 2011, 22:24
No of course he shouldn't but clearly some players do, as it tends to be a repeated incident by some of them.

To be fair, they seemed to have faded away slightly. But the big problem here, regards the Wigan game, is that Lima is to appear before the RL panel for 2 incidents, but everyone seems to think he will get away with a warning.
If that is the case, then they are really leaving the game at the hands of these thugs who take a cheap shot at trying to end a players career. Im not asking for an example to be set because of who he plays for, but for the simple reason, such a "tackle" is so dangerous.

bazdev
15th February 2011, 00:24
No doubt he will be let off - the WCC is just around the corner. No way will they make him miss that.

More than likely right. Guilty of 1 not the other, 1 game ban could be right.

TBF we wont be the first side that has happened to and definitely wont be the last

Scouse Don
15th February 2011, 08:24
It does'nt matter who the player plays for.I think the CW tackle should be our version of gun crime if you do it it's an automatic ban of say 5 games ,doubling for a second offence etc....it'll soon stop.

HitTheWall
15th February 2011, 20:07
Says on Twitter he got a 2 game ban, not sure how true it is. Not seen it anywhere else.

Saint Simon
15th February 2011, 20:09
yep its all over cherry and white, they're not best pleased , its a conspiracy lol! it means he'll miss the WCC so i expect it to be reduced on appeal

parrp
15th February 2011, 20:21
http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/11/02/15/RUGBYL_Disciplinary.html&BID=480

Two matches on sporting life

Wanderer
15th February 2011, 20:22
Yep. Two match ban. (http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.aspx?id=5640&type=1) I can't find it on the RFL site, which is way out of date. Anyway, I'm sure that will be bartered down on appeal.

If not, though, that's great.

100% Saint
15th February 2011, 20:43
Its on Sporting Life. http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/11/02/15/RUGBYL_Disciplinary.html&BID=480

Darren Bloor
15th February 2011, 20:43
I don't think we would be saying it was a great outcome if he'd nearly broken someone's jaw on 2 occasions during the match...

Wanderer
15th February 2011, 20:45
I don't think we would be saying it was a great outcome if he'd nearly broken someone's jaw on 2 occasions during the match...
Well no, obviously. But it's a great outcome in that a dangerous tackle has been recognised and duly punished (assuming the RFL stick to its guns, for once).

superdom
15th February 2011, 20:48
The RFL have shown serious foul play will not be tolerated.
They will reduce it to one match on appeal (because they literally have no cajones)

The Yellow Giraffe
16th February 2011, 14:52
. He looked like a kid at school "grassing" on someone.

Absolute nonsense.

Wanderer
16th February 2011, 15:16
The RFL have now produced a report (http://www.therfl.co.uk/disciplinary/item?2320)

I think it's interesting that they consider the tackle on Wilkin to be worse than that on Soliola. Presumably they think that because Lima used his body weight, which means Wilkin would have been unable to get free.

HitTheWall
16th February 2011, 15:38
The RFL have now produced a report (http://www.therfl.co.uk/disciplinary/item?2320)

I think it's interesting that they consider the tackle on Wilkin to be worse than that on Soliola. Presumably they think that because Lima used his body weight, which means Wilkin would have been unable to get free.

The one on Soliola could be deemed that Lima was attempting to use a lever to get to the ground and turn him on his back I guess.
The CW on Wilkin was when Wilkin was already on the ground so there was no reason why he should be putting any pressure on his arm.

Barney Rubble
16th February 2011, 16:16
Absolute nonsense. Because ?

Saint Simon
16th February 2011, 16:22
Because ?

because its a potentially career ending thing to do to someone, he was proved right as first the rfl charged him and then lima pleaded guilty!

Barney Rubble
16th February 2011, 16:30
because its a potentially career ending thing to do to someone, he was proved right as first the rfl charged him and then lima pleaded guilty!Whats that got to do with the bit giraffe quoted me on ? He picked a sentence in particular.

I had already said what i thought about the tackle and that there are other ways to complain.

The Yellow Giraffe
16th February 2011, 16:36
Because ?

Because Wilkin has a right to look after his own safety on the field. What Lima was doing was potentially career-threatening, as we have seen in the past. By "grassing" Lima up to the ref, he is highlighting the problem and ensuring that the ref keeps an eye on this for the remainder of the game, thus protecting himself and his teammates. That is why your comment was nonsense.

Barney Rubble
16th February 2011, 16:44
Because Wilkin has a right to look after his own safety on the field. What Lima was doing was potentially career-threatening, as we have seen in the past. By "grassing" Lima up to the ref, he is highlighting the problem and ensuring that the ref keeps an eye on this for the remainder of the game, thus protecting himself and his teammates. That is why your comment was nonsense.There are ways of going about things. Stopping the game and going to the ref to complain makes you look like a grass. Not once have i said the incident should not have been brought up.
I personally think he has got off lightly. The norm for things like this at the start of the season is a bigger punishment to set the tone for the season.

The Yellow Giraffe
16th February 2011, 16:49
There are ways of going about things. Stopping the game and going to the ref to complain makes you look like a grass.

Have you ever played the game yourself?
I can speak from vast experience when I say that when you are on the receiving end of something like that, you are left with two choices. You either do what Wilkin did and bring it to the refs attention and hope that this will put an end to it. Or you can retaliate directly at Lima and potentially get yourself sent off. Do neither and Lima just carries on attempting to pull Wilkins body into several pieces for the rest of the game.Wilkin did the right thing.

HitTheWall
16th February 2011, 16:49
Wilkin is a 'grass' now is he? Grow up, it's not flippin' primary school, all he was doing was going through the proper channels. He's not the first to do it, plenty have done over fingers in the eyes, biting, it happens a fair bit in the NRL. It's the professional way of doing things.

HitTheWall
16th February 2011, 16:51
I can speak from vast experience when I say that when you are on the receiving end of something like that, you are left with two choices. You either do what Wilkin did and bring it to the refs attention and hope that this will put an end to it. Or you can retaliate directly at Lima and potentially get yourself sent off. Do neither and Lima just carries on attempting to pull Wilkins body into several pieces for the rest of the game.Wilkin did the right thing.

Spot on, I doubt it would've been picked up on if Wilkin hadn't reported it. Such measures are in place for a reason, use them or lose them as they say. Now Lima has to think twice about his 'technique'/ doing it again because he's been warned he'll face a harsher punishment if caught at it again. Let's hope the RFL hold true to it because CWs are unnecessary.

Barney Rubble
16th February 2011, 16:52
I can speak from vast experience when I say that when you are on the receiving end of something like that, you are left with two choices. You either do what Wilkin did and bring it to the refs attention and hope that this will put an end to it. Or you can retaliate directly at Lima and potentially get yourself sent off. Do neither and Lima just carries on attempting to pull Wilkins body into several pieces for the rest of the game.Wilkin did the right thing.Yes i have and i wouldn't have reacted the way Wilkin did but thats got nothing to do with it, that comes down to the individual. I also know that none of my team mates would have stopped a game to officially complain. Like i said, there are other ways to go about things.

HitTheWall
16th February 2011, 16:58
Yes i have and i wouldn't have reacted the way Wilkin did but thats got nothing to do with it, that comes down to the individual. I also know that none of my team mates would have stopped a game to officially complain. Like i said, there are other ways to go about things.

But it's not like what Wilkin did goes against the rules of the sport, neither it is one of those 'unwritten rules' players talk about. He's done nowt wrong. Lima is the one in the wrong, if anything he is the one who broke an 'unwritten' rule by placing undue pressure on the joint of an opponent in an attempt to cause pain/ injury. What Wilkin did, not losing his head and letting the ref deal with it, is the sign of a consummate professional.

The Yellow Giraffe
16th February 2011, 17:06
Yes i have and i wouldn't have reacted the way Wilkin did but thats got nothing to do with it, that comes down to the individual. I also know that none of my team mates would have stopped a game to officially complain. Like i said, there are other ways to go about things.

But if he hadnt stopped to complain then Lima could have continued doing this for the rest of the game. Surely you can see that??

Wanderer
16th February 2011, 17:11
I also know that none of my team mates would have stopped a game to officially complain.
Some team mates you have, then. If you had gone on to have your playing career finished by the player using a chicken wing style then I suppose that would have been ok, since no-one 'grassed' on him? I know I wouldn't be happy. I would be wanting to know why someone hadn't said something to stop him before he got to me. That, to me, is what team spirit is about.

hazzo21
16th February 2011, 17:12
Like i said, there are other ways to go about things.

Just out of interest, what are these other ways?

Barney Rubble
16th February 2011, 17:17
But if he hadnt stopped to complain then Lima could have continued doing this for the rest of the game. Surely you can see that??I can see what your saying. I just didn't like the way that looked.
Maybe a quiet word from the captain whilst getting back into the line ?

Has anyone wondered why the ref had missed this persistent offence. The refs have a responsibility for the safety of the players and if he has missed this 2 or 3 times then maybe he should be getting a bollocking aswell ?

Barney Rubble
16th February 2011, 17:18
Some team mates you have, then. If you had gone on to have your playing career finished by the player using a chicken wing style then I suppose that would have been ok, since no-one 'grassed' on him? I know I wouldn't be happy. I would be wanting to know why someone hadn't said something to stop him before he got to me. That, to me, is what team spirit is about.I thought we had an agreement ?

Barney Rubble
16th February 2011, 17:23
Just out of interest, what are these other ways?
Officially ? you will need to check the rfl website as im not 100%

Unofficially - Trade secret. :D

hazzo21
16th February 2011, 17:23
I can see what your saying. I just didn't like the way that looked.
Maybe a quiet word from the captain whilst getting back into the line ?

Has anyone wondered why the ref had missed this persistent offence. The refs have a responsibility for the safety of the players and if he has missed this 2 or 3 times then maybe he should be getting a bollocking aswell ?

I think the disciplinary reported stated that the ref had put the first incident on report. I cant even remember that incident to be honest.
I agree the refs have a responsibility but to give them a bit of credit, if there are 2 or 3 men in a tackle it can sometimes be difficult to see a player trying to attempt the CW tackle. Especially if it is done slyly by a Pie-eater!!!

Wanderer
16th February 2011, 17:29
I picked this up from the Goons board on RLFans:

Wigan Warriors' Chairman, Ian Lenagan said:

"We were disappointed last year at the number of sentences which were overturned upon appeal and were one of the Clubs requesting that the RFL change and improve significantly the fairness, balance and transparency of the Disciplinary Process. Our experience in this case where a key Wigan player has been banned from an extremely important game is that the process is much improved and highly professional. Consequently, we accept the decision, albeit with disappointment for the Player and the Club, and look forward to a Season of consistent and fair Disciplinary Panel decisions and general acceptance of decisions taken"
So something has changed at the RFL!

wardies love child
16th February 2011, 17:36
I picked this up from the Goons board on RLFans:

So something has changed at the RFL!

Maybe he sees Leeds as a long term threat and knows they'll have many day trips to red hall and he's hoping that their bans etc will stick without appeal. Foolish man

Buddy
16th February 2011, 18:09
Maybe he sees Leeds as a long term threat and knows they'll have many day trips to red hall and he's hoping that their bans etc will stick without appeal. Foolish man

Especially with the amount of stuff wigan players got away with last year. They have wrote the book on getting away with this type of tackle

HitTheWall
16th February 2011, 18:25

Yeah, brilliant, lower yourself to their dirty cheating standard and possibly earn yourself a ban. Superb. You can be a dirty cheating scumbag who uses underhand tactics to get revenge, but woe betide if you're a 'grass'....

Some twisted principles there mate.

Talk some sense!
16th February 2011, 18:37
Lets just get something straight here, John Wilkin is not a 'grass' as is being portrayed by some. This is a professional game we're taking about not a amateur effort, Wilkin will have seen first hand from Jason Cayless just what that kind of tackle could do and it's an easy way to cause a potential career ending injury. John Wilkin has a livelyhood to consider and i'd much rather he did that in the manner he did than get up and go looking for revenge on the field.

He has been proven to be correct in what he claimed and as a result Lima will think twice before carrying out a similar tackle in future. If Wilkin has gotten up and reacted aggresively or violently then he would be deemed as the one in the wrong and the tackle would potentially go un noticed or not given the attention it rightly deserves.

wardies love child
16th February 2011, 18:41
I remember playing against a Wigan team a few years back and the opposition forward screaming as he is one of a few mob handling my opposite prop. He was screaming like a girl with that high wining pitch that my mate is biting his thumb. To which the ref laughed and said well son what's your hand doing half way down is gob as you shouldn't be tackling that high. Gerrup and gerron with soft lad. Play on.
Agree with With Wilkins approach though, very good how saints approached the game regards decision making by the cheating man with the whistle.

Talk some sense!
16th February 2011, 18:53
I remember playing against a Wigan team a few years back and the opposition forward screaming as he is one of a few mob handling my opposite prop. He was screaming like a girl with that high wining pitch that my mate is biting his thumb. To which the ref laughed and said well son what's your hand doing half way down is gob as you shouldn't be tackling that high. Gerrup and gerron with soft lad. Play on.
Agree with With Wilkins approach though, very good how saints approached the game regards decision making by the cheating man with the whistle.

I think they showed great respect to the ref which at times can be a hard thing to do with some decisions lately, but if Saints making an effort to be a more well desciplined and more respectful team is an approach royce has asked they go for them i'm all for it.

RL fan
16th February 2011, 19:10
Didn't Wilkin break some kind of rule by not getting the captain to speak to the ref? This is the top of a slippery slope and gives carte blanche to whingers like Sinfield and Briers.

Talk some sense!
16th February 2011, 19:19
Didn't Wilkin break some kind of rule by not getting the captain to speak to the ref? This is the top of a slippery slope and gives carte blanche to whingers like Sinfield and Briers.

Actual complaints and whinging are two different issues though, just like if a player was ever bitten they'd go to the ref and raise it.

EDIT: On reflection though I do agree that if id didn't go through james Graham or Paul Wellens in the first instance then it should have. I didn't see if Wilkin had said to Graham or Wellens that he wanted to raise a complaint or report something,, and then maybe they've in turn spoke to th eref and said we have a situation here.

Lex
16th February 2011, 19:32
I think they showed great respect to the ref which at times can be a hard thing to do with some decisions lately, but if Saints making an effort to be a more well desciplined and more respectful team is an approach royce has asked they go for them i'm all for it.

What if ; John Wilkin had just had a moan to Lima and not reported it to the ref, would Lima have continued the cowardly act, yes probably is the answer, so on that front alone John Wilkin was 100% correct in what he did.

If he had'nt, we could be writing on here about another Saints player that could have had his career ruined, sooner or later Lima woulod have succeeded in doing what he set out to do, and cause a very serious injury. So I believe anyone who thinks Wilkin was wrong for defending himself and just as importantly, his team mates, well for me, I find it very hard to believe.

Wanderer
16th February 2011, 19:53
Didn't Wilkin break some kind of rule by not getting the captain to speak to the ref?
So far as I'm aware any player can make an official complaint to the referee and it has been done before, hasn't it, with biting and such like?

Lex
16th February 2011, 19:57
So far as I'm aware any player can make an official complaint to the referee and it has been done before, hasn't it, with biting and such like?
If my memory serves me, I think a HKR player made the ref aware of a bite last season against Hull, Berrigan was the culprit I think.

Barney Rubble
16th February 2011, 20:37
Yeah, brilliant, lower yourself to their dirty cheating standard and possibly earn yourself a ban. Superb. You can be a dirty cheating scumbag who uses underhand tactics to get revenge, but woe betide if you're a 'grass'....

Some twisted principles there mate.Have a think about why i might have put the smiley on the end. It could be that i might be some kind of twisted phsyco, then again it could have been a joke ? "trade secret" ? F**k me lighten up !

Barney Rubble
16th February 2011, 20:44
Lets just get something straight here, John Wilkin is not a 'grass' as is being portrayed by some. This is a professional game we're taking about not a amateur effort, Wilkin will have seen first hand from Jason Cayless just what that kind of tackle could do and it's an easy way to cause a potential career ending injury. John Wilkin has a livelyhood to consider and i'd much rather he did that in the manner he did than get up and go looking for revenge on the field.

He has been proven to be correct in what he claimed and as a result Lima will think twice before carrying out a similar tackle in future. If Wilkin has gotten up and reacted aggresively or violently then he would be deemed as the one in the wrong and the tackle would potentially go un noticed or not given the attention it rightly deserves.Have another read of my original comment.

HitTheWall
16th February 2011, 22:24
Have a think about why i might have put the smiley on the end. It could be that i might be some kind of twisted phsyco, then again it could have been a joke ? "trade secret" ? F**k me lighten up !

Har har har...... hilariously funny.

So go on then, if you were joking, how did you want Wilkin to respond other than reporting it to the ref? You hinted in several posts that he should have handled matters differently? How? You don't want him to report it to the ref because that makes him a 'grass' (in any context presumably?), and of course you were joking about him possibly taking matters into his own hands on the pitch, so please do enlighten us: what's this 'magical' option C?

Talk some sense!
17th February 2011, 08:27
Have another read of my original comment.

My comment isn't aimed at any one person in particular - there's more than one who've said he's gone about it the wrong way. If ever i am just referring to a particular poster i'll quote them - just for future reference ():)

The Yellow Giraffe
17th February 2011, 08:44
Officially ? you will need to check the rfl website as im not 100%

In other words, you havent got a clue. You keep bleating on about there being "other ways" in which Wilkin should have dealt with it, but you have failed to suggest anything sensible as an alternative to what Wilkin did.

Two Wheeled Saint
17th February 2011, 09:20
Didn't Wilkin have a shoulder operation last year? that would make me very protective of my livelyhood of playing rugby if someone tried to damage the shoulder again.

The Yellow Giraffe
17th February 2011, 09:55
Didn't Wilkin have a shoulder operation last year? that would make me very protective of my livelyhood of playing rugby if someone tried to damage the shoulder again.

Logic is wasted on some people mate. You cant protect your livelihood apparently because that makes you a grass!! :wtf:

Barney Rubble
17th February 2011, 12:38
In other words, you havent got a clue. You keep bleating on about there being "other ways" in which Wilkin should have dealt with it, but you have failed to suggest anything sensible as an alternative to what Wilkin did.I think you will find i have :S

Barney Rubble
17th February 2011, 12:40
Didn't Wilkin have a shoulder operation last year? that would make me very protective of my livelyhood of playing rugby if someone tried to damage the shoulder again.He is playing Rugby League ! This is not football. Every time a rugby player steps onto the field he does so knowing he could get seriously hurt. Get a grip !

Barney Rubble
17th February 2011, 12:42
My comment isn't aimed at any one person in particular - there's more than one who've said he's gone about it the wrong way. If ever i am just referring to a particular poster i'll quote them - just for future reference ():)
Oh right. I just seen you use the term "grass" and i hadnt seen anyone else use the word apart from in response to me.

The Yellow Giraffe
17th February 2011, 12:43
He is playing Rugby League ! This is not football. Every time a rugby player steps onto the field he does so knowing he could get seriously hurt. Get a grip !

Are you doing this intentionally just to get a reaction? Or are you really a moron?
There is a huge difference between getting an injury due to the very nature of the sport and getting deliberately hurt by an opposing player who is breaking the rules with dangerous play. If you cannot see that, then you really are an absolute fool.

Barney Rubble
17th February 2011, 12:53
Are you doing this intentionally just to get a reaction? Or are you really a moron?
There is a huge difference between getting an injury due to the very nature of the sport and getting deliberately hurt by an opposing player who is breaking the rules with dangerous play. If you cannot see that, then you really are an absolute fool.Name calling eh?

Going round in circles here. I have made my feelings on the "tackle" very clear. I didnt agree with the way Wilkin reacted. I am entitled my opinion as you are yours. My opinion will not change because you call me a moron and a fool.

stubbsy85
17th February 2011, 12:53
no wonder wilkin complained to the ref just look what they all do or in jeff lima's case did at Melbourne Storm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSu-uOiUz7E