PDA

View Full Version : Kyle doing himself no Favours

Bostik Bailey
12th February 2011, 21:36
With that kicking game and general lack of interest Union will not be interested. Is he the next Myler?

reliable sauce
12th February 2011, 21:53
Most stupid post ever.
Eastmond has proven he is in a totally different class to Myler. First real game for him in ages without any injuries (he will most likely still have a niggling injury)

Plenty of pressure on him with no Pryce.
Didn't have the best of games but ridiculous to state he is the next Myler

Lygase
12th February 2011, 22:34
eastmond...... complete shower of sh!ite tonight, whatever money union is offering saints should take it asap, he was no where, showed weakness in defence and was garbage at kicking, and now judging by the comments on twitter.... well i'd be happy to see the back of him!

Tallahassee
12th February 2011, 22:39
Give the guy a break,first real,FULL game he has played since bloody June,against,unfortunately,the champions.

Dicko
12th February 2011, 22:49
Dont change the fact he goes into hiding for huge chunks of the game get shut for me he has become a liability.

Lygase
12th February 2011, 22:50
did he play though... really, cos most of the time i'd swear he wasnt even on the pitch

reliable sauce
12th February 2011, 23:02
RIGHT!
This talk is just absolute BULL!
Last year regarded as our best strike player, got injured, became hated through rumours.
I have nothing against Eastmond if he goes Union, the extra money he will gain over his career will change his life forever, i would take that opportunity.

Our fans have forgot how much he ripped the opposition apart in the first half of last season. He was awesome.
He is gaining fitness all the time, yes he wasn't the best in attack today but his defence waa great. Pryce will bring back more direction in the team and when Eastmond regains his form he WILL prove all you doubters wrong.

Come on Kyle!

wabo
12th February 2011, 23:02
I'd bite unions hand with whatever they were offering, he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Lygase
12th February 2011, 23:11
RIGHT!
Last year regarded as our best strike player, got injured, became hated through rumours.
I have nothing against Eastmond if he goes Union, the extra money he will gain over his career will change his life forever, i would take that opportunity.

Our fans have forgot how much he ripped the opposition apart in the first half of last season. He was awesome.
He is gaining fitness all the time, yes he wasn't the best in attack today but his defence waa great. Pryce will bring back more direction in the team and when Eastmond regains his form he WILL prove all you doubters wrong.

Come on Kyle!

i hope he does prove me wrong, but he may have to do the job on his own if pryce gets injured, and I want to see a committed player out there, doesn't matter if he's the worlds greatest, if he can't perform in big games without fear of injury, then he is no use, he was terrible today, if he played 80 mins then must be fully fit, therefore has no excuse, other than he's got his eye on another prize, mainly £££££££ from union. Saints should take the money, and part ways cos he's shown little or no effort tonight. I used to love him, i even wagered £20 on him winning MOS last season, but his p1ss taking over his future, coupled with his comments on twitter, alongside a dismal showing tonight has changed my mind

Like i said i'd love to be proved wrong though, and for him to be MOS this year, sign a 5 year deal and take us sailing to old trafford, whoop the pies and bring home the trophies, unfortunately this is real life

The Chief
12th February 2011, 23:14
In all fairness, taking into accound his injury run and lack of game time over last 6 months, he still played like a man whose heart and head are elsewhere.

tricia
12th February 2011, 23:23
FIRSTLY

Is it him on twitter you lot thought Simmons was on it for over a week.

SECOND

No he is no world beater, however I dont see anyone on here hammer Lomax and he didnt pull any trees up.

THIRD

How did we claw a point out of that

Albion
12th February 2011, 23:26
FIRSTLY

SECOND

No he is no world beater, however I dont see anyone on here hammer Lomax and he didnt pull any trees up.

THIRD

How did we claw a point out of that

FIRSTLY - It is, LMS on his twitter said that Kyle had joined twitter and gave that username

SECONDLY - Lomax isn't expected to carry the team around like Kyle is. He is the spear-head of the attack and it was that aspect of our game that let us down. Also Lomax isn't under even more scrutiny as he isn't about to sign for a RU club.

THIRDLY - Haven't a clue fella, been asking that myself! haha

Lygase
12th February 2011, 23:28
FIRSTLY

yes it is him on twitter....

and i dont see lomax starting a bidding war between the hometown club who nurtured him from the age of 13 and the kick and clappers to see who'll offer him the most dosh! easmond will be under close scrutiny for his role, he has to be a leader and playmaker, not a fecking back field spectator like tonight

Power_of_the_Pie
12th February 2011, 23:49
Kyle Eastmond when fully fit and with his future resolved will open up opposition defences with flashes of individual brilliance.
He will never be an organiser or lead a team around the park.

You need to look at somone else if it's another Sean Long you want. Wigan signed Jason robinson as a scrum half, but you cannot build a team around this style of player. Eastmond is an individual player.

paulscnthorpe
13th February 2011, 00:59
The lad's first game bar 30 minutes in six months, he's not going to set the world on fire. Particularly without our other first choice half back. Those who say "i didn't notice him" must have missed the try saving interception he made. Had his drop goal attempt gone 3 feet right there'd be many calling him a hero..

seems because the usual fans favourite Wikin had a good game we need someone else to have a go at

djdegsy
13th February 2011, 02:25
I'd bite unions hand with whatever they were offering, he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

agree 100% with you,also agree with most of these posts.he could`nt get shut of the ball fast enough.p**s poor

Huntingtons
13th February 2011, 07:20
I cant believe some people. You are complete and utter douchebags with no clue. The guy has played like 30 mins in the best part of 5 months and you expect him to blow bubbles out of his arris?

I hope he reads these posts and it makes up his mind to move on.

Im embarassed to be a saints fan at times with the amount of nonsense some of you spout.

Delboy
13th February 2011, 07:56
I cant believe some people. You are complete and utter douchebags with no clue. The guy has played like 30 mins in the best part of 5 months and you expect him to blow bubbles out of his arris?

Im embarassed to be a saints fan at times with the amount of nonsense some of you spout.

Spot on!!!

scousedave
13th February 2011, 09:06
douchebags without a clue wtf was all that about? Eastmond AND graham should be made to put up or shut up and FU*K off, we are a very unsettled team, and id rather have rid of the pair than listen to the shit on here!

Buddy
13th February 2011, 09:33

Perhaps you could put them right by pointing out what he did well yesterday - but I doubt it.

Kyle was stood so deep as to make any move we tried dead before the Wigan defence had to move. Personally I would rather see skill than dummy runners, but as that part of our game is dead and we have to accept it as a replacement for skill, we can't be trying to play rugby 20m behind the dummy runner - which is were he was.

To me he was trying to show he can play like a union stand off, and if that is the case it backfired terribly. Do you think any union club would be interested in a player who missed a simple drop goal under no pressure?

His kicking game was very poor and his defence worse, but hey keep those blinkers on they're doing a great job

Tallaght Tiger
13th February 2011, 09:39
RIGHT!
I have nothing against Eastmond if he goes Union, the extra money he will gain over his career will change his life forever, i would take that opportunity

Come on Kyle!
Agree with ya 100%

wardies love child
13th February 2011, 10:36
The guy played or was on the pitch for a full 80. No reports of any injuries I know of so a good result based on back end of last years turn out by Kyle. Personally I've never seen a young man in his prime look so miserable. Contract sorted may help this but if not, he'll need a psychiatrist and drugs when he settles down and has kids.

Wanderer
13th February 2011, 11:06
Kyle got through a full game without an injury. That, to me, is great progress. He will get better the more games he plays, which really isn't ground breaking stuff; just logical.

I haven't seen him as an organiser at any time although others think he is. But I have consistently thought it was Pryce who was our organiser. Last night, from a pitchside viewpoint anyway, it appeared to be Roby who was our organiser. But we need fit and active halves and until we have those, we won't shine as I know we can.

yorkyrl
13th February 2011, 11:29
Cant believe he wasn,t taken off last night. And as for his defence, it has allways been poor ! cant see any club being interested at the moment.

Sausalito
13th February 2011, 11:41
Cant believe he wasn,t taken off last night. And as for his defence, it has allways been poor ! cant see any club being interested at the moment.

If his defence as always been poor why are clubs queueing up for him?? They must see something that the majority on here can't.

oldshep1960
13th February 2011, 11:48
[QUOTE=reliable sauce;329781]RIGHT!
Last year regarded as our best strike player,

now that is bollocks! Eastmond should show where his loyalties are, start playing as great as you suggest he is and then PERHAPS he will earn saints fans respect, cos respect is earned not a god given right!!

E Saint
13th February 2011, 11:51
If his defence as always been poor why are clubs queueing up for him?? They must see something that the majority on here can't.

Dont talk sense itll get you nowhere on here.

He's an extremely talented individual who has shown great promise but (and probably also by his own admission) still has a lot to learn.

Unlike Chris Ashton I just hope Eastmond sticks around to fulfill that promise in RL (with us tho nit wire :) )

Saint
13th February 2011, 12:01
The most disappointing thing for me was that Kyle didn't want to take the ball to the line. You can run a play all day 5 or 6m away from the defensive line, but the ball-carrier has to take a shot or there is no gap. Kyle didn't want to take the shot tonight.

But, a) he's been injured for a while and can be forgiven for not wanting to get hammered by a ruthless Wigan defence, and b) he had a complete lack of runners at times. So I won't judge him so harshly but if he's still turning in performances like that in 4 weeks I'll be concerned.

scousedave
13th February 2011, 12:11
I think as a first game they were good, but could have been better. We should have won easily but you have to admit wigans defence was pretty awsum. I feel the team need to make both eastmond AND graham make their mind up NOW! i dont want to lose either but we cant be messing around come mid season we NEED to know who our half back partnership is going to be for the next three seasons not just the next 3 games!

E Saint
13th February 2011, 12:21
Looks like we will know this week where he will be next year:

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/11/02/13/RUGBYL_St_Helens.html&BID=480

the priest
13th February 2011, 12:25
Aint going to judge the lad on one game. Hes had a long lay off and needs to find his feet, and confidence again. Hopefully he will do this, but whether this benefits us or someone else only time will tell. However, I hope its us. Mny scrum halfs are cocky arrogant self obsessed buggers. No one more so than Murphy, he stopped playing for us when things werent going his way, but this does not detract from his achievments. Now, before anyone jumps on me, Im not suggesting Eastmond is anywhere near the player Murphy was, but if he decides to stay at Saints and becomes half the player Murphy was, well have had a great scrum half, and the silence from his current detractors will be deafening.

paulscnthorpe
13th February 2011, 12:59
start playing as great as you suggest he is and then PERHAPS he will earn saints fans respect, cos respect is earned not a god given right!!

respect's a two way thing though.. there's not a great deal of respect for eastmond at the moment, a lad who at 21 is simply weighing up his options, he's shown no disrespect to the club or the fans.. to the best of anyone's knowledge he's not made any outlandish demands.. he's gone about it no different to that of james graham.. similarly keiron cunningham had a contract in his hand with the welsh rugby union aged 24/25, and he was all ready to sign up, but again no talk of disrespect to the fans and club

Tobias
13th February 2011, 13:15
KC and Jammer did not do their contract negotiating via the media. They have never behaved like Prima Donnas.

paulscnthorpe
13th February 2011, 13:39
KC and Jammer did not do their contract negotiating via the media. They have never behaved like Prima Donnas.

i've not once seen a quote from kyle about the subject of union, only people like sale and bath releasing comments.. i've not one article quoting eastmond as saying "i'd like to try myself at union" or the equivalent [i stand to be proved wrong]..

i'm pretty sure the cunningham situation was played out in the media as it was massive about KC and harris signing for them.

graham has made as many (if not more) comments about playing in the nrl..

i just don't see what eastmond has done any different to many other players looking for a better contract. i'll throw two more in for you shenton/pryce to saints

Wanderer
13th February 2011, 15:06
i've not once seen a quote from kyle about the subject of union, only people like sale and bath releasing comments.. i've not one article quoting eastmond as saying "i'd like to try myself at union" or the equivalent [i stand to be proved wrong]..
I think the problem may be that this is the second time Kyle's agent has been quoted in the press in connection with Kyle's contract negotiations. Since Kyle had a different agent last time around, this would suggest that Kyle has had a hand in that media contact by his agents. Neither Jammer nor Roby or indeed Pryce have had their agents quoted in the media. Jammer, Roby and Pryce have all tried to clear up rumours by going to the press only as a last resort. The evidence does suggest that Kyle is attempting to pressurise Saints through the media. He's used the RU tactic twice as well. That is unfortunate because it is distracting from the talent he really is.

Huntingtons
13th February 2011, 15:09

Kyle has kept his mouth shut. KC and Jammer never. If anything, the way Kyle has handled it is far far better than the direct quotes that came from KC and Jammer.

Chop
13th February 2011, 16:26
Dont think it matters cos think he will be gone this week........Very poor last night.....didnt get the basics right....went missing and as for his kicking it was attrocious. Yes it was his first full game for many months I'll have that but he played like a man who's mind was elsewhere......

Someone summed him up the other day as being a a great talent but no team player....I had to agree

Albion
13th February 2011, 16:40
graham has made as many (if not more) comments about playing in the nrl..

But there is a massive difference between Graham and Eastmond.

Graham has given good service to the club and earned the fans respect through his passion and the way he has consistently been the best prop in England for the past 2/3 seasons. Graham has shown abillity and given the club 100%.

Eastmond has had one season with the number seven shirt and throughout that first year he has been constantly linked with Union when he has only shown potential. Then when he had his run of injuries it makes the fans frustrated at how he seems to have been negotiating with Union clubs and looking to switch codes when it seems like he isn't giving the same effort as Graham does week in week out.

brook
13th February 2011, 20:18
If he is unwilling or unable to take the line on then there is no place for him on the park.Maybe hes been rushed back to soon but for my money if your unable to give 100% on the field then your shouldnt be there.His passing from 1st reciever gave Wigans defence an easy ride,there was no running threat for them to cope with so all they had to do was line up the runners.

MancSaint
13th February 2011, 21:50
The most disappointing thing for me was that Kyle didn't want to take the ball to the line. You can run a play all day 5 or 6m away from the defensive line, but the ball-carrier has to take a shot or there is no gap. Kyle didn't want to take the shot tonight.

But, a) he's been injured for a while and can be forgiven for not wanting to get hammered by a ruthless Wigan defence, and b) he had a complete lack of runners at times. So I won't judge him so harshly but if he's still turning in performances like that in 4 weeks I'll be concerned.

The most sensible post on Eastmond thus far, 100% agree.
Far too early to be saying get rid; let's get another 3 or 4 games in before we call for his head; but yes he was poor and showed no desire to hit the defensive line.

Having said that, judging by his comments, we may not get another 3 or 4 games out of him.

Personally I think he'll go to ru.

NUTSONTHE70S
13th February 2011, 21:58
If he is unwilling or unable to take the line on then there is no place for him on the park.Maybe hes been rushed back to soon but for my money if your unable to give 100% on the field then your shouldnt be there.His passing from 1st reciever gave Wigans defence an easy ride,there was no running threat for them to cope with so all they had to do was line up the runners.

yup, I counted at least 7 "hospital" passes !

Syd
13th February 2011, 22:58
One of the worst kicking performances I have seen in many a year, full 80 minutes of ZERO pressure from us in the kicking field. The pies were getting their kicks deep, and making us return from our 10m line minimum. Not the best night for kicking, one thing we need to work on for sure. OR maybe it was the pies defence that just took us out of our step , if so well played the pie blokes.

jefmeister2004
13th February 2011, 23:16
Huge potential, unfortunately seems to have lost his bottle. Give me Ratboy every time for body on the line, he scared me every time he was in posession even at full back. If we can do this well against the champions without any "visible" halves in fact more of a handicap in that game, then cash in and lets put this behind us, we won't miss what we don't have.

The_Nator
13th February 2011, 23:59

He was poor yesterday but I do think he is getting way to much criticism after one game. For what it's worth, he isn't a first receiver imo. He should be second receiver further out so he can attack the line more and keep them guessing. Passing isn't his main strength, it's his quick feet and ability to dart through a gap. Passing is a part of his game that will likely improve with time though. To compare with Tomkins at Wigan he is playing full back and therefore gets the ball further down the line and looks much more effective.

The biggest problem for me when Leon comes back will continue to be that Leon and Kyle are very similar players and I'm not sure they can play in the same team. If he goes though I'm not too worried, Wheeler and Lomax both look very promising and Foster certainly did very well yesterday. Future is still looking pretty bright.

brook
14th February 2011, 01:35
Im going to use the two scrum halves from the hull derby as an example here.Long ( we all know what he does we all watched him for years ) ran at the defensive line thus drawing players and making room.Dobson did exactly the same drew people and played them into space.Contrast that with Kyle yesterday and he offered nothing for the defence to be wary of,if he doesnt take the line on then its easy to defend against,its the threat of his pace when he does take the line on that puts doubt into defenders,they either have to comit to him or defend the possoble pass leaving him room to exploit himself.Now looking at the way he chased back in defence once or twice he can sprint ok so why didnt he take the line on ? thats his job,hes a playmaker,anyone can catch and pass like he did yesterday.

ps. if passing isnt his main strength should he be playing scrum half where passing is a vital part of the position ?

hazzo21
15th February 2011, 00:05
Perhaps you could put them right by pointing out what he did well yesterday - but I doubt it.

Kyle was stood so deep as to make any move we tried dead before the Wigan defence had to move. Personally I would rather see skill than dummy runners, but as that part of our game is dead and we have to accept it as a replacement for skill, we can't be trying to play rugby 20m behind the dummy runner - which is were he was.

To me he was trying to show he can play like a union stand off, and if that is the case it backfired terribly. Do you think any union club would be interested in a player who missed a simple drop goal under no pressure?

His kicking game was very poor and his defence worse, but hey keep those blinkers on they're doing a great job

Your first point and last point are quite true. Kyle was stood far too deep and his kicking game was not good.
However your second point has to be one of the most stupid comments I have seen over the whole Eastmond saga and there have been quite a few. Do you honestly think that if he was really trying to play like a Union stand off throughout the whole game that he would not have been brought off the pitch. Surely he was instructed to play this way by Simmons. Whilst I agree that it was maybe not the most effective method, if he was simply doing his own thing and had no regard to the team tactics then he would have been hauled off. Also, whilst I also think he should of scored the drop goal, it was not that easy and wasnt a million miles wide.
I suspect Kyle needs to sign a 10 year deal on half the money he is on now and score a hat-trick evey week before some of you will be happy.
He has played 30 minutes in the last 6 months prior to Saturday so he was never going to be at his best straight away.

Smart
15th February 2011, 00:15
Kyle Eastmond when fully fit and with his future resolved will open up opposition defences with flashes of individual brilliance.
He will never be an organiser or lead a team around the park.

You need to look at somone else if it's another Sean Long you want. Wigan signed Jason robinson as a scrum half, but you cannot build a team around this style of player. Eastmond is an individual player.

Sh!t I agree with a pie, sh!t

Supersaint
15th February 2011, 06:51
Longy was similar to kyle when he first come to saints he was an individual, the ability to become good at leading a team around the park comes with experience mainly and learning off good players. It's not something you have or haven't got when you start playing rugby.

Buddy
15th February 2011, 08:24
Your first point and last point are quite true. Kyle was stood far too deep and his kicking game was not good.
However your second point has to be one of the most stupid comments I have seen over the whole Eastmond saga and there have been quite a few. Do you honestly think that if he was really trying to play like a Union stand off throughout the whole game that he would not have been brought off the pitch. Surely he was instructed to play this way by Simmons. Whilst I agree that it was maybe not the most effective method, if he was simply doing his own thing and had no regard to the team tactics then he would have been hauled off. Also, whilst I also think he should of scored the drop goal, it was not that easy and wasnt a million miles wide.
I suspect Kyle needs to sign a 10 year deal on half the money he is on now and score a hat-trick evey week before some of you will be happy.
He has played 30 minutes in the last 6 months prior to Saturday so he was never going to be at his best straight away.

So your suggesting our new coach came up with a plan for Kyle to stand so deep as to be a negative influence on our attack? And you think my post was stupid!!

Sensible posters are not asking him to cut his salary or score 3 tries every week, but people who watch games (apart from you and a few cronies) can see when a player is hiding. Its a real shame he has the wrong people in his ear because if he isn't carefull, all his potential will come to nothing.

Buddy
15th February 2011, 08:28
Longy was similar to kyle when he first come to saints he was an individual, the ability to become good at leading a team around the park comes with experience mainly and learning off good players. It's not something you have or haven't got when you start playing rugby.

Longy knew the importance of playing for the team, I'm not sure Kyle does. It always seems about him - it never felt like that with Long or Scully or KC, or many more of the great players we have been lucky enough to see

FearTheVee
15th February 2011, 09:07

Nail on head.

hazzo21
15th February 2011, 10:11
So your suggesting our new coach came up with a plan for Kyle to stand so deep as to be a negative influence on our attack? And you think my post was stupid!!

Sensible posters are not asking him to cut his salary or score 3 tries every week, but people who watch games (apart from you and a few cronies) can see when a player is hiding. Its a real shame he has the wrong people in his ear because if he isn't carefull, all his potential will come to nothing.

I think generally the coaches do come up with the game plan. I might be wrong but I thought that is what they get paid for!!
If this wasnt the game plan and Kyle continued to 'practice rugby union' for 80 minutes then surely he would have been told to change or he would have been brought off.
I totally agree with what you are saying in that the tactics/game plan were not the most effective. However I would hope that you realise that the coaching staff play a big part in telling the players what to do, especially when it comes to the basic structure of how the attcking line will set up.
I dont think Simmons deliberately meant it to be negative, he may have saw something we didnt before the game and decided that was the best way to attack them. For me and many other fans this didnt quite work out so hopefully we will see a change on Friday.

Wanderer
15th February 2011, 10:50
I think generally the coaches do come up with the game plan. I might be wrong but I thought that is what they get paid for!!
They do but if you read Simmons' comments on the Saints site you'll see that they didn't follow it! They panicked in the first half, which is not unreasonable given the absence of Leon and that being their first full hit out as a new-look team (given Ganson's determination to ruin our friendly against Hudds).

Kyle was clearly rusty. That's all. He will get better as he gets more game time and confidence. Did you not see the way he tracked back for that try-saving interception? Or his willingness to tackle? Or his attempt to get across the line? He was trying very hard but he just wasn't in the right gear. He will find his gears once he rediscovers his match legs.

The guy has had two operations and hasn't been able to play a full 80 since about August time. Give him a break why don't you.

Supersaint
15th February 2011, 11:55
Only in his latter years after his knees where shot

BoldMiners
15th February 2011, 14:09
Just heard he has signed for Bath. And it could be with immediate effect!

Wanderer
15th February 2011, 14:11
Just heard he has signed for Bath. And it could be with immediate effect!
Yep. I think that's already been written on another thread. Some guy on Bath's website or something.

Billinge Lump
15th February 2011, 17:03

Don't be bringing reason to this lynching, you heretic.