PDA

View Full Version : Wakey rescued

Wanderer
11th February 2011, 16:50
According to Chris Irvine on Twitter, Andrew Glover is the new owner of the Wildcats. I'd say that was good news for them and good news for RL generally. Let's hope he can put them on a financially stable footing so they can focus on their on-field performance rather than off-field distractions of significant proportions. I bet the fans are relieved!

The Yellow Giraffe
11th February 2011, 17:02
Good news, but I still cant see past them being the time to get the chop in July.

Dynamite Don Brennan
11th February 2011, 17:35
The sooner theyre replaced by Widnes the better for me.

Buddy
11th February 2011, 18:33
The sooner theyre replaced by Widnes the better for me.

Yes because they have never gone into administration

Agent Mulder
11th February 2011, 18:36
Yes because they have never gone into administration

Some people have short memories. lol

itwillalwaysbewithme
11th February 2011, 18:47
Yes but at this minute in time Widnes are in a better position in every aspect than Wakefield to deserve a Superleague license. The fact is Widnes went into administration and have worked hard to straighten things out whilst Wakefield knew what they had to do and when for and have failed. It's either them or Crusaders who deserve the drop, and let's face it, its not going to be the Crusaders.

Buddy
11th February 2011, 18:53
Yes but at this minute in time Widnes are in a better position in every aspect than Wakefield to deserve a Superleague license. The fact is Widnes went into administration and have worked hard to straighten things out whilst Wakefield knew what they had to do and when for and have failed. It's either them or Crusaders who deserve the drop, and let's face it, its not going to be the Crusaders.

What evidence is this based on? Widnes have gone into administration 3 times that I know of, and their recent "success" is helped greatly by the dual registration rules.
Do you think that will continue if they're promoted?

Dynamite Don Brennan
11th February 2011, 18:59
Cracking stadium, good chairman, prioritised the youth set up at the club,but most of all they aint Wakefield fans who I have found to be objectionable. Cant wait till they're moved down a division.

Agent Mulder
11th February 2011, 19:13
There is a good side to it. We won't have far to travel and it will be another local 'derby'. Also it will be like playing at home. lol

Saint Simon
11th February 2011, 19:20
Theres any number of reasons why common sense would relegate wakey and bring up Widnes, better stadium, theres currently 5 west yorkshire teams, better youth setup etc etc, Wakey have had the money and opportunity to improve their setup and they have squandered it massively!

Buddy
11th February 2011, 20:09
Don't get me wrong I'm no wakey fan, but to suggest Widnes are in a better position has very little in terms of your yorkshirephobia to back it up.

itwillalwaysbewithme
11th February 2011, 21:55
What evidence is this based on? Widnes have gone into administration 3 times that I know of, and their recent "success" is helped greatly by the dual registration rules.
Do you think that will continue if they're promoted?

Yes, Widnes have gone into administration in the past, but im talking here and now.

They are in the strongest most stable postion they have been in in the past decade, O' Connnor has worked so hard to get the club straight. He has jumped thorough hoops and done exactly to the the best of his ability what the RFL have asked of him to get Widnes into Superleague. Wakefield on the otherhand knew exactly what they needed to do and when they needed to do it to stay in Superleague, and failed. O' Connor even pledged £500k to one side of his own cash to the RFL to ensure the security of the club.

In regards to the tin cup finals they have been in, apart from ticking boxes, this is irrelevant. Conferance RL cannot be compared to Superleague.
If Widnes get promoted, they will have practically a new squad. Being in Superleague will encourage big(ger) named playes to sign for them (Just look at Crusders), something that will never happen in Conferance RL.

Add to this a fantasic stadium and facilities, an exellent academy setup, and probable bigger crowds than Wakey as well as another Derby for us, there you have it.

tricia
11th February 2011, 22:07
Lets face facts. Saints new stadium to fill, Widnes away support will be 3 thousand. Wakey away support 3 hundred. Makes sense for Saints so makes sense for red vee followers

Huntingtons
11th February 2011, 22:37
Yes, lets replace one team that brings nothing to SL with another

itwillalwaysbewithme
11th February 2011, 22:56

Please expand.

johnny_h
11th February 2011, 23:13

What kind of a post is that? Their current side probably wouldn't bring much but given the opportunity, I'm sure they'd do better than four or five current SL teams.

Buddy
12th February 2011, 07:10
Lets face facts. Saints new stadium to fill, Widnes away support will be 3 thousand. Wakey away support 3 hundred. Makes sense for Saints so makes sense for red vee followers

More use of the word facts without the slightest bit of evidence to back it up.

There must have been a rugby revolution in Widnes that I have missed if they will bring 75% of their home support to away games.

I agree wakefield have wasted their chance and have spent their money signing over the hill players instead of trying to develop a squad like other teams have, there is an argument to say they shouldn't have had a licence in the first place, but this mythical club 4 miles away doesn't work in reality,

Syd
12th February 2011, 09:44
Our game needs to grow, we all know that and its sad to see our game in a way that a club is folding and going under, but I am fed up hearing about Wakey now, they offer nothing, I dont care anymore if they stay or go, just a nothing event on the calendar, a nothing team, nothing to offer, bored of hearing about their woes ! More interested in Blackpool RL than these men now.

BORED !

Lygase
12th February 2011, 12:35
I hope Andrew makes a good go of it with Wakefield, I'm friends with his brother and have met him a few times, Andrew owns a large window company in Yorkshire with his brother..... hopefully they've got he cash to get the club financially stable, after all, we dont want RL clubs falling into administration when we're trying to promote and grow the fanbase and game as a whole.