PDA

View Full Version : Superleague to ESPN?

jonnythesaint
6th February 2011, 17:00
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/06/espn-rugby-league-broadcast-rights

Probably just Richard Lewis trying to bump the price up a bit. I really hope they don't just go to the highest bidder for the Challenge Cup. It's important that some live rugby league remains on terrestrial. Really important.

Wanderer
6th February 2011, 17:11
The report does seem to indicate that it is other so-called terrestrial channels that have shown interest in the Challenge Cup. However, I think the RFL would be stupid to let it go to anyone other than the BBC. RL needs a presence on the BBC. However, if this is all about pushing the BBC to offer RL a better deal then I'm all for it. If the probability is as Lewis suggests then I think it could be a huge mistake on the part of the RFL (who are not known for making mistakes, obviously!).

As for RL going to ESPN; I'd rather that didn't happen either as that would mean paying extra to view matches. Does the RFL want to eradicate the viewing public or increase it? Again, I hope the reference to ESPN is more about pushing Sky to offer more dosh than consideration of a switch.

southernsaint7
6th February 2011, 17:15
not sure it would be a bad thing if ITV got the CC, saw them advertising their sport the other day and is frustrating never to see many RL adverts. Sky dont do enough either but I dont want to pay for espn as well!!!

jonnythesaint
6th February 2011, 17:16
If it did go to ESPN I'd probably get shut of Sky Sports. I'm getting rid of it anyway if they give Rat Boy a job. ;)

Chop
6th February 2011, 17:59
Get on Virgin...ESPN is free then

Albion
6th February 2011, 18:34
This is brilliant news.

Increased competition for TV rights means that we will get more money through a big contract.

It would be ideal if ESPN and Sky share the Super League with the BBC having rights for Challenge Cup and highlights. This would give a more even split across the board with sky sports for sky viewers, ESPN for virgin viewers and BBC for people who only have terrestrial. But I don't know how the contracts are dealt with so I don't know whether that could be possible.

It would be a big shame if BBC loose the Challenge Cup.

RedVee Admin
6th February 2011, 20:12
I'd welcome ESPN with open arms.

Firstly, as stated, if you're on Virgin Media it's included with the XL package, otherwise a tenner (ish) a month.

Secondly, it's available terrestrially: although a viewing card and freeview box with a card slot (or like me a TV with a built in card reader) is required and it's a tenner (ish) a month.

Thirdly, their Aviva Premiership coverage is really good and if they were to apply the same coverage to Super League, we'd all be in for a treat.

And finally, I'd wager that many more people have terrestrial only or Virgin / Sky without the premium channels, than have Sky Sports so for every person who moans it's more money on top of what they're paying Sky already, there'll be far more saying it's great value at only a tenner (ish) a month. I'd also say, as previously stated by another poster, that a lot of people would actually ditch Sky Sports for ESPN, ie lowering their monthly bill.

In conclusion, Super League moving to ESPN is a win win situation, despite what Wanderer may say:
Does the RFL want to eradicate the viewing public or increase it? Again, I hope the reference to ESPN is more about pushing Sky to offer more dosh than consideration of a switch. On this occasion Wanderer is completely and utterly wrong. Roughly six times more people have terrestrial TV than have Sky TV - FACT.

saint mully
6th February 2011, 20:33
It's great news to have competitivity over the broadcasting rights. I remember when Sky were able to rule the roost and fob them off for the lowest price possible knowing that RL needed Sky much more than they needed RL. The offer from Setanta led to an increased offer the last time so this competition can only be good.

I hope it will remain on Sky and am sure it will, although I wouldn't object to seeing a share in which perhaps ESPN can show a Sunday afternoon match or something. The Challenge Cup has to remain on terrestrial.

Gray77
6th February 2011, 21:00
There is no doubt that ESPN will bid for Super League rights, and I mentioned a while back that when ESPN bid for RU Premiership rights Sky were happy to take a reduced package of games and let ESPN take the bigger package. I wondered at the time if Sky would be happy to do the same for Super League if it meant that they paid less but still had a game every week. There is no evidence to suggest that Sky are in any way bothered about losing half of the Prem games as they still show a game per round and the viewing figures remain the same. I doubt they would get involved in a massive bidding war with the Disney backed ESPN over RL, as long as they kept the Grand Final and Four Nations I reckon they'd happily go down to one game a week with ESPN maybe having a game per week and some play-off games.

As for cost, as people have said, if you have Virgin its ideal if games are on ESPN. If you have Sky and subscribe to Sky Sports for RL then dropping that package and adding ESPN instead would cost about £10 less per month. And, with ESPN available on BT Vision, Top-Up TV etc it may result in people who are currently out of the loop in terms of watching Super League on TV then having access to games instead.

Ideally, the RFL will act like a business and offer games in packages like Premier League football do.

As for the Challenge Cup, well it'd be a shame if the BBC lose it, but if it does it will only be to ITV or Channel 4. ITV would have games in HD, which currently the BBC only do for the Final, and may treat the game as a bigger deal. When you have a sports contract for such a long time the coverage can become stale and maybe a change will be a good thing, or indeed the threat of losing it may make the BBC up their game. The Final is still a Protected Event, which means it has to be on Free-to-Air Television, which means a Pay-TV provider wouldn't see the benefits of bidding for a comp when the Final has to be on Free-TV instead. So, expect maybe ITV to make a push for Challenge Cup rights.

Blackwolf
6th February 2011, 21:26
I hope ESPN gets the Superleague so I wont have to pay for 3 channels with Sky just to watch Rugby League.

Wanderer
6th February 2011, 23:28
In conclusion, Super League moving to ESPN is a win win situation, despite what Wanderer may say: On this occasion Wanderer is completely and utterly wrong. Roughly six times more people have terrestrial TV than have Sky TV - FACT.
There is no such thing as terrestrial TV anymore. It's all digital. Everyone has access to Freeview. I wasn't claiming they didn't. But for someone with Sky it may mean extra. For example, my Dad has Sky and Sky are offering ESPN access for an additional £4.50 per month for the first three months, increased amount thereafter, and that is in addition to the cost of the sports package.

As for the Challenge Cup, well it'd be a shame if the BBC lose it, but if it does it will only be to ITV or Channel 4.
IMO there are two downsides to ITV or Channel 4 or 5 getting the Challenge Cup. Firstly, the BBC has worldwide coverage and they have been broadcasting the Challenge Cup to a bigger audience globally than ITV or the other two channels could ever hope to do. Secondly, would the standard of the coverage be as good? I remember once ITV screening some Premiership match I think and they stuck an advert in right when the winning goal was being kicked.

RedVee Admin
7th February 2011, 00:27
There is no such thing as terrestrial TV anymore.
Really? That's strange because the last time I looked, Winter Hill transmitter was still there. And Emley Moor. And Moel Y Parc. I can't vouch for any other transmitters as they're the only three I see on a regular basis so I can only assume from your ridiculous statement that you clearly know nothing and that you are making this up as you go along.

I suggest that you Google "DVB" and more particularly "DVB-T". You'll find that one next to "DVB-C" and "DVB-S". Whilst you're at it, look up the meaning of the word "terrestrial".

BubbleSheep
7th February 2011, 00:58
There is no such thing as terrestrial TV anymore. It's all digital.

Not everyone has gone digital yet - I know for a fact the East Midlands haven't, thats scheduled for 31st August. Still a way off.

In fact, all of the East and most of the South haven't switched either. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch

Wanderer
7th February 2011, 09:14
Not everyone has gone digital yet - I know for a fact the East Midlands haven't, thats scheduled for 31st August. Still a way off.
Really? I thought everyone was now switched over.

Redvee, don't start. I was using the word terrestrial instead of analogue; I'm guilty only of lazy writing. So sue me.

RedVee Admin
7th February 2011, 09:34
Don't start what? You were factually wrong in your comment (more than once in this thread) and I simply pointed that out. Just admit it, don't blame it on your fingers.

Then again, I won't hold my breath: as displayed by your "so sue me" remark, humility is alien to you.

Wanderer
7th February 2011, 10:04
Don't start what? You were factually wrong in your comment (more than once in this thread) and I simply pointed that out. Just admit it, don't blame it on your fingers.

Then again, I won't hold my breath: as displayed by your "so sue me" remark, humility is alien to you.
Whatever.

RedVee Admin
7th February 2011, 10:09
Quad Erat Demonstrandum

corkitfatso
7th February 2011, 15:10
Really? That's strange because the last time I looked, Winter Hill transmitter was still there. And Emley Moor. And Moel Y Parc. I can't vouch for any other transmitters as they're the only three I see on a regular basis so I can only assume from your ridiculous statement that you clearly know nothing and that you are making this up as you go along.

I suggest that you Google "DVB" and more particularly "DVB-T". You'll find that one next to "DVB-C" and "DVB-S". Whilst you're at it, look up the meaning of the word "terrestrial".

It must be marvellous being as intelligent as you

wardies love child
7th February 2011, 15:36
It must be marvellous being as intelligent as you

Wahey, don't hold back and say what you think, welcome

johnnyl
7th February 2011, 17:51
Don't start what? You were factually wrong in your comment (more than once in this thread)

nah, im not having that

RedVee Admin
7th February 2011, 22:58
It must be marvellous being as intelligent as youSomething that you can only dream of achieving.

Wallasey Saint
8th February 2011, 00:06
I hope there's a proper highlights package for Free To Air TV, included in the rights[similar style to Match Of The Day]. A programme which shows highlights from all the Weekends games, & on at a regular timeslot, rather than allover the shop, like the haphazard Super League Show.

corkitfatso
8th February 2011, 12:32
[QUOTE=RedVee Admin;329056]Something that you can only dream of achieving.[/QUOTE

erm....no thanks, if i end up being as irritating as you. am sure am not the only one who thinks it on this forum either

RedVee Admin
8th February 2011, 14:27
Think what you like, doesn't bother me one jot. Nobody is forcing you to use these forums.

Buddy
8th February 2011, 14:38
Something that you can only dream of achieving.[/QUOTE

erm....no thanks, if i end up being as irritating as you. am sure am not the only one who thinks it on this forum either

Looks like Wanderer has an alter ego

Wallasey Saint
8th February 2011, 17:03
Just thinking whether the Challenge Cup Final should be moved to earlier in the Season, as i'd move it to the 4th Saturday in July[the Saturday after the Open Golf tournament]as there's not much sport taking place, & there isn't as much disruption on the Rail network. as there is on the Weekend the CCF is currently held, & you won't get the daft situation of the SF taking place 8 Weeks after the QF?

wabo
8th February 2011, 17:49
It can only be for the good of the game for $ky to have some serious competition for the Super League rights. I would also welcome ESPN with open arms, but if it doesnt happen then at least $ky might have to up their offer..seems Super League may have been taken for granted a little by the power brokers at $ky

Barney Rubble
8th February 2011, 18:22
It can only be for the good of the game for $ky to have some serious competition for the Super League rights. I would also welcome ESPN with open arms, but if it doesnt happen then at least $ky might have to up their offer..seems Super League may have been taken for granted a little by the power brokers at $kyIve noticed the adverts on ESPN for yawnion, and it seems they take it quite serious too. I hope it ends up being a battle for the rights giving more money to the clubs and maybe better coverage.

TheWazzer
5th March 2011, 19:57
I aggree with quite a few posts on here that ESPN would be a good move if the package was right. Cheaper for most people like me who only have Sky Sports for RL and then have to pay another £7 to watch it in HD. ESPN HD is free with XL tv package on Virgin so save me a load and also as many have said available via terrestrial, therefore more scope for subscriptions..

stoneislander
5th March 2011, 21:40
Just thinking whether the Challenge Cup Final should be moved to earlier in the Season, as i'd move it to the 4th Saturday in July[the Saturday after the Open Golf tournament]as there's not much sport taking place, & there isn't as much disruption on the Rail network. as there is on the Weekend the CCF is currently held, & you won't get the daft situation of the SF taking place 8 Weeks after the QF?

normally the britsh formula grand prix takes place the week after the open golf, and like it or not it is a major media and sporting attraction , plus theres the build up to the football season , lets face it in the eyes of both sky and the beeb rugby league is seen as minority sport and nothing more than a slot filler