PDA

View Full Version : Good news for the RF...

Talk some sense!
4th February 2011, 15:32
It's come out today that Wigan have tied a load of their young English lads down to long term deals including Joel and Sam Tomkins. Thos two in particular you'd imagine would have been targeted by NRL teams and so it's good to see them commit to SL for the next 5 years. As Saints fans it's not good :wtf: but as rugby fans and Super league fans it's good to know that clubs are making efforts to retain the talent.

Hopefully James Graham and Kyle Eastmond will join in with this and sign long term with us!

rally
4th February 2011, 15:43
Well done Wigan and the lads that have for signing long term deals. It's obvious they are following theirs hearts and not just the money! I'm sure they'll still be on good salaries though:)

Rogues Gallery
4th February 2011, 15:57
Seven contract extensions
5 Years: Sam Tomkins, Joel Tomkins, Liam Farrell and Josh Charnley.
3 Years: Darrell Goulding, Harrison Hansen and Logan Tomkins.

mister chuffy
4th February 2011, 21:00
Boo hoo.

Rogues Gallery
4th February 2011, 23:42
Well done Wigan and the lads that have for signing long term deals. It's obvious they are following theirs hearts and not just the money! I'm sure they'll still be on good salaries though:)

I believe Ian Lenagan was on Radio Manchester tonight explaining how Wigan had managed to get these signings done under the salary cap.

See Bilkos post on page six.

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=481349&start=75

I was told about two or three yeas ago that two Wigan players were taking up 25% of the salary cap.

Saints have to be careful they don't fall into the same trap.

southernsaint7
5th February 2011, 00:41
Seven contract extensions
5 Years: Sam Tomkins, Joel Tomkins, Liam Farrell and Josh Charnley.
3 Years: Darrell Goulding, Harrison Hansen and Logan Tomkins.

interesting the 5 year deals...what are your thoughts on them? possibly too long for the latter two?

Northampton_Saint
5th February 2011, 00:52
Whoopdy-doo.

Rogues Gallery
5th February 2011, 12:48
interesting the 5 year deals...what are your thoughts on them? possibly too long for the latter two?

Charnley and Farrell are top prospects, and I expect them to be in the England 2nd squad (I can't remember what they are to be called) so just like Sams five year deal last year I think it's a good move for the club.

The only one I'm not sure about is the 3 year deal for Logan Tomkins, I've not seen anything yet that convinces me that he will make it at the top level, but he may be a late developer, and the coaches all like his attitude to the game and training.
FWIW, I think Liam Carberry is a better prospect at hooker.

Dynamite Don Brennan
5th February 2011, 13:14
Charnley and Farrell are top prospects, and I expect them to be in the England 2nd squad (I can't remember what they are to be called) so just like Sams five year deal last year I think it's a good move for the club.

The only one I'm not sure about is the 3 year deal for Logan Tomkins, I've not seen anything yet that convinces me that he will make it at the top level, but he may be a late developer, and the coaches all like his attitude to the game and training.

Just cant stop.

Chris Saint
5th February 2011, 13:16

Thats fair enough, I do like Farrell I have to admit he impressed me a great deal last year, and it is a great achievement to keep them all, however is it not a slight concern that Sam did only sign a 5 year deal last year so this entirely renewed deal is obviously at a fairly good increase? Don't get me wrong I understand after last year he deserves it, what I mean is if the club felt the need to up the deal regardless of the existing length of contract, while it ties him to the club it is a meaningless to the salary cap in that they are reviewing them yearly (unless this increase/extension was written into the small print of his previous deal)

While I would love Saints to retain all their promising players, this is the reason I want Eamonn to be careful not to be held to ransom and screw us up down the line, I do think the way we didn't stand too fiercely in Jake Emmitts way despite him forcing his way into the 17 on form was they knew his offer wasn't worth matching in terms of the bigger picture.

Rogues Gallery
5th February 2011, 14:17
Just cant stop.

You are getting paranoid. I do think that Carberry is the better prospect, something I have been saying for quite a while.

And whilst I remember, the England second squad will be known as the England Knights.