PDA

View Full Version : University RL.

doghead
25th January 2011, 19:12
Edge Hill v Gloucester University RL LIVE on Channel 433 (no Subscription needed) - Wednesday 7:30pm

Blackwolf
25th January 2011, 19:17
Is it on virgin Media?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanderer
25th January 2011, 19:29
I'm looking forward to watching this match.

Dynamite Don Brennan
25th January 2011, 20:16
Is it on virgin Media?

No unfortunatly.

Sent from my computer using Tapingfinger.

Barney Rubble
25th January 2011, 20:32
No unfortunatly.

Sent from my computer using Tapingfinger.:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

QUALITEH !!!

BubbleSheep
25th January 2011, 21:47
Just to add another in there - Loughborough Uni RL will be playing Gloucestershire on Wed 2nd Feb, also on channel 433.

Blackwolf
25th January 2011, 22:17
I gotta laugh also.

doghead
26th January 2011, 20:13
13 nil to edgehill half time.

Wanderer
26th January 2011, 21:43
25-10 to Edge Hill fulltime.

I enjoyed watching the match. Edge Hill have a nifty winger on their left edge.

el ste
27th January 2011, 07:18
hmmmm. not so sure about the no subscription needed bit. i reckon it comes free if you already subscribe to sky sports, which i don't.

BubbleSheep
31st January 2011, 18:53
hmmmm. not so sure about the no subscription needed bit. i reckon it comes free if you already subscribe to sky sports, which i don't.

Having googled it it seems like the old Sentanta Package - £6.99/month. Can't find the channel on freeview, anyone else had any luck?

BubbleSheep
2nd February 2011, 16:44
Just a quick reminder that Loughborough Uni are on the tele tonight, playing Gloucester Uni, coverage on Channel 433 starts at 7.15

doghead
2nd February 2011, 20:18
bump

daves
2nd February 2011, 20:31
Just a quick reminder that Loughborough Uni are on the tele tonight, playing Gloucester Uni, coverage on Channel 433 starts at 7.15

Can't get 433.Can you post the final score please,be nice to know how Loughborough go on.

Wanderer
2nd February 2011, 21:43
Can't get 433.Can you post the final score please,be nice to know how Loughborough go on.
Loughborough flattened Gloucestershire by I think it was 58-6 (but I'm not sure how far into the 50s Loughborough got in the end as I'd stopped looking!). There was a good crowd there too, who really got into the spirit of the match.

It looks like Loughborough are in a battle for top spot with Leeds Met. Hope Loughborough clinch it! (Although I'd like Edge Hill to win the Grand Final) I learned quite a bit about student rugby league generally tonight. I think it's great that they have a Four Nations at the end of the season, for instance. And that the number of players at Loughborough rose from 13 just a few years ago to 78 at present. Although Gloucestershire got a tonking in the end, they are all freshers, most having played only union before, and they lost two to injury so couldn't interchange. They had introduced dummy runners this week, though they got confused sometimes as a result, and they also had a few more attacking plays on last week so they are progressing. But Loughborough looked good. There were a lot of amateur RL players in their team, from Scotland to Plymouth, which I thought was interesting. I have enjoyed watching both matches. It's a shame Premier aren't on Freeview for those who don't have Sky.

daves
2nd February 2011, 22:39
Thanks for that Wanderer.Good to see the old place is keeping up it's tradition of sporting excellence and finally seriously branching out into Rugby League.In my day you would be lucky to find 78 people who new what Rugby League was,never mind actually wanting to play the game.

BubbleSheep
2nd February 2011, 23:28
It was a good game. Loughborough's defence was pretty outstanding. Crowd was pretty decent too given how cold it was, with the wind whipping across. Bearing in mind where we are in the midlands, League is not first choice for everyone. The Union 1st team are one of the best in the country, they don't play in the other University leagues, they're in the lower Professional league, and play the England Under 21's in a huge game once a year. The latter game drew a good few thousand to watch.

Even, bearing that in mind, we've now got 3 League teams going. We're through to the 2nd round of the Challenge Cup, got through to the 3rd round 2 season ago, unluckily drawn against Halifax who battered them.

I was the only one who bothered to make an effort though, and turned up in my Saints shirt!

daves
3rd February 2011, 09:57
It was a good game. Loughborough's defence was pretty outstanding. Crowd was pretty decent too given how cold it was, with the wind whipping across. Bearing in mind where we are in the midlands, League is not first choice for everyone. The Union 1st team are one of the best in the country, they don't play in the other University leagues, they're in the lower Professional league, and play the England Under 21's in a huge game once a year. The latter game drew a good few thousand to watch.

Even, bearing that in mind, we've now got 3 League teams going. We're through to the 2nd round of the Challenge Cup, got through to the 3rd round 2 season ago, unluckily drawn against Halifax who battered them.

I was the only one who bothered to make an effort though, and turned up in my Saints shirt!

Thanks for that,my dear.
Aye,the union team always were pretty handy.A few of us tried to get a game of league going back in the mid to late 70's,we could just about muster a 7's side back then,so it's good to hear how well the sports going there now.Athletics was the big thing at Loughborough back in my day,do they still have the anual AAA's meet or has that disappeared from the calendar now?Even back then,everything was in place for an American style Uni with excellent sporting facilities and coaching,something which was sadly lacking in this country.

BubbleSheep
3rd February 2011, 10:58
Thanks for that,my dear.
Aye,the union team always were pretty handy.A few of us tried to get a game of league going back in the mid to late 70's,we could just about muster a 7's side back then,so it's good to hear how well the sports going there now.Athletics was the big thing at Loughborough back in my day,do they still have the anual AAA's meet or has that disappeared from the calendar now?Even back then,everything was in place for an American style Uni with excellent sporting facilities and coaching,something which was sadly lacking in this country.
Athletics is still pretty big - last year we had a England/Scotland v Loughborough meet, in preparation for the Commonwealth Games. It's now also a hub for Countries, esp Japan, for the 2012 Olympics. But cricket has moved up further too, which the ECB's National Performance Centre now on campus, used by most of the England team for technical training, etc.

Here, you either do Sports Science, or Engineering as your degree, very little in between. The Sports facilities are now World Class, but after everything, I just wish there was a Women's Rugby League team, rather than just Union!

BubbleSheep
24th February 2011, 10:47
Completely forgot to mention that the Final of the Super 8 competition was on the tele last night. Loughborough v Leeds Met, played at Wakey's ground.

Pitch was horrendous, muddy and cutting up, so it was one of those games with a lot of dropped ball and not many tries, but Loughborough went in at HT 12-4 up. Leeds Met came back with a try after the break to take it to 12-10, and with literally 10 seconds on the clock, they scored again. I can now say I know how it feels to be a Wire fan, snatched a loss in the jaws of victory. Not at all biased, but Loughborough deserved to win by a country mile. But fair play to Met, they played til the 80 was up.

Wanderer
24th February 2011, 11:01
I agree. Loughborough should have won but I think their player who kicked the ball only half way up the field was annoyed with himself as he knew he'd put them in a precarious situation for the last set. A real shame Leeds won. They didn't deserve to. But that's how it is in rugby league! It was a good match to watch. What a mud bath though.

daves
3rd March 2011, 19:32
Just a reminder,the Varsity match now on Sky Sports 4.

Wanderer
3rd March 2011, 20:19
Just a reminder,the Varsity match now on Sky Sports 4.
Disappointing. Cambridge cannot defend. They look like they are in for one hell of a tonking.

BubbleSheep
3rd March 2011, 22:27
60-16 final score. It was 36-0 at HT, so at least they livened up in the 2nd half! Cambridge were very very poor though.