PDA

View Full Version : Widnes Game

oldun
23rd January 2011, 13:18
Hi all just wondering if there is any radio or internet coverage of todays friendly

ploughman
23rd January 2011, 13:20
Saints website has live updates

oldun
23rd January 2011, 13:23
Saints website has live updates

Cheers for that but I was thinking more of a live commentry link

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 13:59
Can't find any information about it on Radio Merseyside or Manchester. Just have wait and see I think.

100% Saint
23rd January 2011, 14:29
I dont think Radio cover friendlies.

Blobbynator
23rd January 2011, 14:31
Team's been named anyway:

Foster, Gardner, Shenton, Wheeler, Meli, Pryce, Gaskell, Graham, Roby, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Soliola, Wilkin, Flannery. SUBS: Moore, Puletua, Dixon, Clough, Ashurst, Armstrong

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 15:08
4 mins in: Widnes leading 4-0

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 15:09
‎5: Saints hit right back through James Graham. Foster converts 6-4

*Posts from Saints on facebook, I know everyone don't use facebook so I'm just copying them across.

100% Saint
23rd January 2011, 15:10
James Graham is captain.

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 15:11
9: McCarthy-Scarsbrook stretches the lead - side-steeping his way to the line following Jammer's wonderful short ball. 12-4

100% Saint
23rd January 2011, 15:14
Looking good so far. :)

Agent Mulder
23rd January 2011, 15:18
Bubble Sheep are you at the match.?

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 15:22
No, but I wish I was! Too far away to come for a friendly... and the fact I have an exam tomorrow lol. I'm just copying the posts that are coming up on the Saints facebook feed across to here, as I know not everyone uses facebook.

100% Saint
23rd January 2011, 15:24
Gardner in 22 - 4

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 15:25
23: Fanastic length of the field stuff ending with Gaskell handing to Shenton who feeds Gardner 22-4.

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 15:30
‎28: Robes turn now... 28-4 Foster adding his fourth boot.

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 15:34
32: Jammer cranks it up for his second. 32-4

Saints going at a point a minute! Great stuff.

Agent Mulder
23rd January 2011, 15:38
Almost half time. - time for another yet.

Agent Mulder
23rd January 2011, 15:42
Is Foster playing at Fullback?

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 15:44
On Half Time: Armstrong finishes off fine Gardner break. 36-4

100% Saint
23rd January 2011, 15:44
Half time, Armstrong scored, 36 - 4, and Foster is playing full back.

100% Saint
23rd January 2011, 16:01
second half started and already in, Dixon. 40 - 4

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 16:02
43: Dixon in following Armstrong pass 40-4

Saints also say both teams in away kit with a bit of a clash! Why would Widnes have changed?

100% Saint
23rd January 2011, 16:04
Probably thought they couldn't play any worse if they changed the kit.

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 16:09
49: Former Saint Kurt Haggerty goes over 40-10
51: Thackerey scores... 40-14

Bummer. Saints doing the usual "Lets thrash them in the first half, here, you can come back in the 2nd"

Agent Mulder
23rd January 2011, 16:10
They must have thought we were at home. lol;)

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 16:12
They must have thought we were at home. lol;)
Are we not at home? :p Or away, at home. Good job Widnes aren't in Super League!

Agent Mulder
23rd January 2011, 16:15
here we go again. Now its 40 - 14 to us.

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 16:19
‘normal service’ resumed - Francis Meli rampaging and finding Gary Wheeler in support. 46-14 after 60 mins.

100% Saint
23rd January 2011, 16:19
46 - 14, Wheeler.

Tobias
23rd January 2011, 16:21
Penalty Try 52-14

BubbleSheep
A rarity!!

‎62: Penalty Try to Saints 52-14

Saints: "Sia hauled down after Widnes error!"

NUTSONTHE70S
49: Former Saint Kurt Haggerty goes over 40-10
51: Thackerey scores... 40-14

Bummer. Saints doing the usual "Lets thrash them in the first half, here, you can come back in the 2nd"

Simmons out !

Agent Mulder
23rd January 2011, 16:23
We're back on track now. the colour clash must have thrown us. lol

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 16:32
Wrong Gardner scores:

‎73: MATT Gardner makes it 52-20

Blobbynator
23rd January 2011, 16:32
Disappointing to concede 20 points against a National League team.

Agent Mulder
23rd January 2011, 16:34
52 - 20 to Saints. now Mat Gardner scores.

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 16:38
Final score 20-52. Good start by saints, but seems like a bit of a sloppy defence. Hope we can work on improving it.

100% Saint
23rd January 2011, 16:41
It will be a tougher game next week, hopefully our defence will be better then.

Barney Rubble
23rd January 2011, 16:42
Final score 20-52. Good start by saints, but seems like a bit of a sloppy defence. Hope we can work on improving it.

Cant believe Foster missed 4 goals ! he'll af sort that out ! :)

Agent Mulder
23rd January 2011, 16:46
Wonder who was off the field when we let those tries in in the 2nd half?

saintgeorge
23rd January 2011, 17:08
Just got back from game. Great 1st half - well impressed with Graham, LMS and Roby. 2nd half very sloppy - Scott Moore invariably making poor decisions in last tackle and we gave away far too many penalties. From that you would have to day that put Wellens, Eastmond and Perry into the mix and our 1st 17 looks as good as anyones's but should we hit an injury crisis then the quality is lacking after about 17 players.

Saint
23rd January 2011, 17:26
Plenty to work on, but a promising start based on the first half performance.

The Gardner try in particular will have had the 'attacking rugby' enthusiasts licking their lips. Straight from the kick-off, Pryce gives it wide to Wheeler who shows a clean pair of heels to make a half-break down the edge, checks back inside, through hands, work the overlap to Shenton who blitzes their centre for pace then tips it on to Gardner to finish in the corner.

To be fair Widnes offered a less than stern examination in the first half, they were abysmal, and our performance in the second half was hampered somewhat by the fact that we basically changed our entire pack at half time. We particularly missed Graham and Roby.

EDIT: I was also hoping to see a bit from Scott Moore today but that was a very poor performance with a number of errors.

The Chair Maker
23rd January 2011, 17:39
The Gardner Shenton combo was looking pretty lethal. Had quite a bit of pace about it. Need to judge it better against SL opposition though.

Graham and LMS complemented each other wonderfully. LMS is big and very mobile. While Graham plays the ball handling role.

Wilkin was also very active. Seemed to be playing more of a traditional loose forward role being used as one of the creative midfield players. His loss of weight suits him in this task.

Pryce was every bit as dangerous as ever.

Wheeler has slimmed down somewhat, and he has gained a yard of pace back as well. Caused Widnes a couple of problems with his stepping. Also gave a lovely ball for one of Saints trys. The try he scored also showed decent pace.

Scott Moore was as idiosyncratic as ever. He would throw a beautiful pass one minute, or make a great midfield break. Next thing he his throwing a sloppy forward pass or knocking on. Scott however looks lighter and more mobile this year.

Soliola looked a little flat footed defensively at times, however he was strong going forward, being used very effectively on the burst near the try line.

There was a lot of switching positions which i think affected our defensive structure. For example in the second half both Meli and Gardner spent time at FB. With Wheeler going in to scrum half.
Foster was moved to the wing and Armstrong came on at centre
The entire pack was also rotated with Clough and Puletua proping instead of Graham and LMS, and Dixon and Ashurst went in the back row.

For me the pick of the Players were Graham, Gardner, Roby, LMS and Meli

With regard to the players fitness. They all look bigger in the chest but smaller round the waist. Less fat and more muscle

Chris Saint
23rd January 2011, 18:24
It is disappointing to concede 20, but for a first hit out in 4 months there is bound to be some fatigue and rustiness and against a team playing their third game, to score 10 tries is pleasing and it was against the "Super League" elect.

We have a positive start and its something to build on ahead of tougher games ahead.

The Chair Maker
23rd January 2011, 18:32
Some pics from today

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5381721878_0fe1b50910_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5205/5381119899_29656d52f7_b.jpg

Pryce and Wheeler defending

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/5381730324_d62630d5a2_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/5381733530_aa6aaf3fb4_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5381129677_df1f3bd1db_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5244/5381130615_dc683a6b8b_b.jpg

The East Stand full of Saints fans, viewed from Row 13 seat 142 of the north stand.

This should give people with north stand seats an idea of the view they will get.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5381133059_db11d8ca73_b.jpg

Shenton and Wheeler

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5203/5381740814_957c7c6f78_b.jpg

Saint_Claire
23rd January 2011, 18:38
The Gardner Shenton combo was looking pretty lethal. Had quite a bit of pace about it. Need to judge it better against SL opposition though.

Graham and LMS complemented each other wonderfully. LMS is big and very mobile. While Graham plays the ball handling role.

Wilkin was also very active. Seemed to be playing more of a traditional loose forward role being used as one of the creative midfield players. His loss of weight suits him in this task.

Wheeler has slimmed down somewhat, and he has gained a yard of pace back as well. Caused Widnes a couple of problems with his stepping. Also gave a lovely ball for one of Saints trys. The try he scored also showed decent pace.

Scott Moore was as idiosyncratic as ever. He would throw a beautiful pass one minute, or make a great midfield break. Next thing he his throwing a sloppy forward pass or knocking on. Scott however looks lighter and more mobile this year.

Soliola looked a little flat footed defensively at times, however he was strong going forward, being used very effectively on the burst near the try line.

There was a lot of switching positions which i think affected our defensive structure. For example in the second half both Meli and Gardner spent time at FB. With Wheeler going in to scrum half.
The entire pack was also rotated with Clough and Puletua proping instead of Graham and LMS, and Dixon and Ashurst went in the back row.

With regard to the players fitness. They all look bigger in the chest but smaller round the waist. Less fat and more muscle

I'd agree with all this. I have to admit to being stunned by Gardner - he was shouting, interacting, keen, looked fast!

Wanderer
23rd January 2011, 18:40

This is a good assessment although I would disagree with Meli being in the pick of our players. When he was playing fullback he ball watched, as usual. And wasn't their first try over on his wing? I'm sure he failed to catch a bomb ...

There were some new moves tried out - some worked, some flopped - and I was impressed by Leon. I think he looked quite commanding out there, especially given that he had a total rookie and a may as well be rookie as his halfback partners. I also thought there was a marked difference in ability between our first half team and our second half team. We are going to struggle this season if we have too many injuries.

Speaking of which, James Graham did not look good after he went down. I am sure he was limping when they went to collect the cup? I hope he is fit by next weekend. We cannot afford to have him off the pitch this season as we are light in prop backup.

I was impressed by both our new guys. LMS has a great side step, real pace for such a big bloke and an eye for a gap. Shenton also is pacey, works hard in defence and attack. So long as he remembers that he has a winger on one side then I think he will do nicely.

I also thought Jon Wilkin looked much, much sharper. I hope he continues to play like that. He was everywhere and looked very confident.

I thought our guys all looked slimmer and fitter. They were sharper in their passing too and at the PTB. However, we still have a lot of work to do in defence. If we take that defence with us into our Wigan game we will be mullered. But as suggested, there were so many changes to our structure that our defence was bound to be affected.

It was my impression that while we fielded our first choice team in the first half, Widnes fielded their second choice, then it all changed around in the second half. They had very nippy guys on their right side in the second half who caused us problems. I think Widnes won the second half, didn't they?

All in all, though, it was great to see the Saints in action again and they got a good run out. I'm sure that match told Simmons a lot about his team. The East Stand is bloody freezing.

I was a happy chappy from before the match as I went in the cafe bar and all the out of action Saints players were lining up for food and drink. I spent a happy ten minutes or so waiting in line about a foot away from Wello. Made my day. :)

wardies love child
23rd January 2011, 18:56
Cant believe Foster missed 4 goals ! he'll af sort that out ! :)

I'd agree with all this. I have to admit to being stunned by Gardner - he was shouting, interacting, keen, looked fast!
Ha ha. Looked fast, don't know how many will believe but I was there and totally agree with most stated previously. Gardner looked anorexic with all his ribs showing and a waist like a Victorian bird with a corset on. I've never seen so much muscle definition on a group of RL players in one team. Graham could and did play standoff at one point I'm sure. When he drove in he did it with speed as much as strength. Apart from Meli they all look a stone lighter at waist but meli is a stone lighter for shaving his bonce.
No negatives at all really unless there was an injury and we don't know it yet. I'll put the points conceded down to constant change in second half. With a full compliment we will look the business and hopefully do it on the pitch.
Worst case the ladies bubblesheep, wanderer and agent milder to name a few will be happy just to look at the boys, I only hope the cheer leaders are as pleasantly appealing this year.
Oh the away kit looks good too.

Chop
23rd January 2011, 18:58
Have to say really enjoyed the game today and the posts so far have been very fair. What was most noticeable was the change in stature of a lot of the players. Plenty of timber has been shed and for the better. The only downs for me today were the hapless nature of Scott Moores play and the incredible ego that the young Mr Foster has got.......Im sure our new coach will work on him.......Great support from the Saints fans I thought and made very welcome by the good people of Widnes.........Looking good for the season methinks.

RedVee Admin
23rd January 2011, 19:06
Saints1890

Saints Media Manager has declared that Twitter is the future. I agree, I couldn't make it today but missed nothing with my twitter text alerts on my phone.

Get Twitter now, follow Saints1890 (and RedVeeDotNet) so you're hooked up for future games.

Wanderer
23rd January 2011, 19:14
Ha ha. Looked fast, don't know how many will believe but I was there and totally agree with most stated previously. Gardner looked anorexic with all his ribs showing and a waist like a Victorian bird with a corset on. I've never seen so much muscle definition on a group of RL players in one team. Graham could and did play standoff at one point I'm sure. When he drove in he did it with speed as much as strength. Apart from Meli they all look a stone lighter at waist but meli is a stone lighter for shaving his bonce.
LOL!!!! Loved the quip about Meli and his head especially. I was left yet again wondering why McManus had signed up Meli for two more years. Please, Mr Simmons, put him in the pack! Keep him away from high ball and bouncing ball and any ball really. And Scott Moore really does have to sort out his passing and kicking.

No negatives at all really unless there was an injury and we don't know it yet.
I hope Jammer is ok.

Worst case the ladies bubblesheep, wanderer and agent mulder to name a few will be happy just to look at the boys
Oh yeah!!

Oh the away kit looks good too.
It looks very good on the boys, that's for sure!

Saint_Claire
23rd January 2011, 19:34
I have just emailed the Halton about their insanely uncarryable hot drinks....because I was soooooo freezing I actually went with my 8 year old to buy hot chocolates for all of us, 2 cups each to carry. So what, you ask? They were untouchably hot - I had to make him wait with two, and borrow his hat to wrap round two at a time so that I could carry them. How that ever passed a health and safety check I have no idea. Blackbrook can afford to use the card insulated type ones, surely they can? I'm not a fussy person at all, but they were lethal.

Wanderer
23rd January 2011, 19:37
I have just emailed the Halton about their insanely uncarryable hot drinks....because I was soooooo freezing I actually went with my 8 year old to buy hot chocolates for all of us, 2 cups each to carry. So what, you ask? They were untouchably hot - I had to make him wait with two, and borrow his hat to wrap round two at a time so that I could carry them. How that ever passed a health and safety check I have no idea. Blackbrook can afford to use the card insulated type ones, surely they can? I'm not a fussy person at all, but they were lethal.
I agree totally. I ended up using my scarf to carry one in each hand. It was ridiculous. I'll email about it as well as that is something which needs to be sorted out.

Saint_Claire
23rd January 2011, 19:43
I agree totally. I ended up using my scarf to carry one in each hand. It was ridiculous. I'll email about it as well as that is something which needs to be sorted out.

If anyone else was there and found this (or if you believe us and want hot drinks when you are there) I would also email them - I will take a flask in future till they sort it out, I actually can't put pressure on anything with two of my fingers as they hurt that much from carrying them till i could find somewhere to put them down to sort it

HitTheWall
23rd January 2011, 20:15
Good run out, was really impressed with LMS and Shenton, good to see the players looking in such good shape instead of them all carrying lots of excess weight. Also noticed LMS was the only player without a name on his shirt, can they not fit it on or something lol

Saint_Claire
23rd January 2011, 20:36
Good run out, was really impressed with LMS and Shenton, good to see the players looking in such good shape instead of them all carrying lots of excess weight. Also noticed LMS was the only player without a name on his shirt, can they not fit it on or something lol

I know, we were all debating over who 15 was and then he was kind enough to score immediately so we found out :)

BubbleSheep
23rd January 2011, 20:37
Worst case the ladies bubblesheep, wanderer and agent mulder to name a few will be happy just to look at the boys
Oh yeah!!
It looks very good on the boys, that's for sure!
I'm not complaining :biggrin:

cjhatesunion
23rd January 2011, 20:52
Could not go to the game today due to work commitments but a couple of mates went and said LMS and Leon where excellent.

Albion
23rd January 2011, 20:52
Disappointing to concede 20 points against a National League team.

Tbf we stepped off the gas in the second half and looked a bit sloppy, possibly due to the amount of changes we made at half time.

I found it strange how we only made one change in the first half, made 4/5? changes at half time and then during the second half we only made two. Seemed a little too much to expect from the players IMO.

I was impressed at the way we shifted the ball, thought we was impressive in attack but it was against poor opposition (no disrespect). It felt like they did not touch the ball for about 15mins at one point it was so one way!

Sean Day
23rd January 2011, 21:11

They have run out of As. Some being delivered but stuck in China. In the snow.

Wanderer
23rd January 2011, 21:26
Tbf we stepped off the gas in the second half and looked a bit sloppy, possibly due to the amount of changes we made at half time.
I'm not sure we stepped off the gas. More that we had our top dog players on for the first half and our not there yet/not quite as powerful/good/whatever players on in the second, bar some who played the full 80 like Leon. But as you say, Simmons also made a lot of changes in the second half. Meli and Gardner both played fullback, for instance. I think that was simply the coach experimenting with his combinations as he won't have seen them play a proper match in the flesh. I'm all for that in friendlies. I'm sure the match will have shown him all he needed to know to put in place some changes for next week. It will be interesting to see how they go against superleague opposition. According to the Hudds boards on RLFans, the plan is for Hudds to put out a full team against us. I hope Simmons can do something with the defence before then!

1986ste
23rd January 2011, 21:30

I found it strange how we only made one change ain the first half, made 4/5? changes at half time and then during the second half we only made two. Seemed a little too much to expect from the players IMO.
The one change in first half was down to the young half back getting injured so look like we planned to keep the starting thirteen all of the first half
I was impressed at the way we shifted the ball, thought we was impressive in attack but it was against poor opposition (no disrespect). It felt like they did not touch the ball for about 15mins at one point it was so one way! the one change you are on about in the first half was cause the young half got injured so think royce had no plans to make changes in the first half

Paul Newlove
23rd January 2011, 21:44
Good run out today,I'd hoped in the off season we'd see a all round better Scott Moore this year but I think I've been kidding myself,pity Keiron has had enough.

Albion
23rd January 2011, 22:05
I'm not sure we stepped off the gas. More that we had our top dog players on for the first half and our not there yet/not quite as powerful/good/whatever players on in the second, bar some who played the full 80 like Leon.

I think we did, we became sloppy and we weren't like that in the first half, we were all out to put pressure on Widnes.

I'm not saying that we did it purposefully, I think it's just a natural thing to do in a friendly, especially after such a dominant first half

My point about the substitutions was that I'd have preferred not to have seen Graham play for 40mins straight and we nearly paid for it when he went down injured.

Agent Mulder
23rd January 2011, 22:51
I think we did, we became sloppy and we weren't like that in the first half, we were all out to put pressure on Widnes.

I'm not saying that we did it purposefully, I think it's just a natural thing to do in a friendly, especially after such a dominant first half

My point about the substitutions was that I'd have preferred not to have seen Graham play for 40mins straight and we nearly paid for it when he went down injured.

According to Saints official site Jammer has been having injections for a couple of weeks for a back spasm. They are keeping him monitored over the next few days. Hope he is OK Jammer will stick his hand up to play even if he isn't fit which isn't good for him or the team.

iwonthebomb
24th January 2011, 00:23
Great first half today- looked really sharp and some great attacking rugby. LMS was superb and Leon looked very good too. Second half we were a bit flat footed but a good run out. Some good tries from both teams to be fair.
MOM
1. Pryce
2. LMS
3. Gardner

Albion
24th January 2011, 01:05
According to Saints official site Jammer has been having injections for a couple of weeks for a back spasm

This makes it even more absurd that he would play for so long in that first half.

LoubyLou1219
24th January 2011, 09:27
If anyone else was there and found this (or if you believe us and want hot drinks when you are there) I would also email them - I will take a flask in future till they sort it out, I actually can't put pressure on anything with two of my fingers as they hurt that much from carrying them till i could find somewhere to put them down to sort it

I burnt my hand twice, i thought it was just me but obviously not, will also send an email!!

eddiewaringsflatcap
24th January 2011, 10:17

They near got me too. Bloody ridiculous.

Anyway. In terms of the game, I thought Pryce, Roby and Graham dominated whenever they wanted to.

I thought some of the young lads looked a bit rusty now and then - Wheeler and Gaskell for instance, although I think Gaskell struggled to impose himself because Pryce and Roby were so much better than the opposition and everything went through them.

Wilkin also looked better at loose forward.

the actual don johnson
24th January 2011, 10:18
I noticed we had an exercise bike by the subs bench. players were using it as the match was in progress but i couln't tell who as it was going dark. don't think i've ever seenn us use them during a game before?

HitTheWall
24th January 2011, 10:52
I noticed we had an exercise bike by the subs bench. players were using it as the match was in progress but i couln't tell who as it was going dark. don't think i've ever seenn us use them during a game before?

I've seen us use them a couple of times over the years but not often.

Scouse Don
24th January 2011, 12:13
I've seen us use them a couple of times over the years but not often.

Just to keep the subs warmed up

forward ref
24th January 2011, 12:34

It was going dark because they weren't peddling hard enough, It's that bike that powers the lights at Widnes.

Wanderer
24th January 2011, 15:36
It was going dark because they weren't peddling hard enough, It's that bike that powers the lights at Widnes.
So they did bring something with them from KR then? ;)

Saint_Claire
29th January 2011, 14:21

Got this reply today, I wait in anticipation of them changing the cups...hmmmm

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding cups dispensed for hot drinks at the stadium. The enquiry has been logged on our system and has been sent to the appropriate officer to be noted.

Wanderer
29th January 2011, 15:30
Thank you for your enquiry regarding cups dispensed for hot drinks at the stadium. The enquiry has been logged on our system and has been sent to the appropriate officer to be noted.
I got this response:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your enquiry. Your enquiry has been forwarded ton Catering Services at the Stobart Stadium

The case number is shown in the subject line of the e-mail.

Should you have any further queries please quote this reference number.

Please use hdl@halton.gov.uk for any further correspondence.

Thank You

Halton Direct Link.