PDA

View Full Version : A starting 13?

Talk some sense!
21st January 2011, 16:59
Not as obvious a thread as the title suggests!

Wakefield have been issued with another winding up order and it looks increasingly likely that they'll go under sooner rather than later. Is there a chance that this will happen before the season begins and if so....

a) would the RFL bail them out to ensure we start the season with 14
b) would they bring in a team to replace them at short notice? Widnes maybe (can't see it)
c) would we have a 13 team season

saintgeorge
21st January 2011, 17:04
Sadly, Option C would be the one I would go for.

100% Saint
21st January 2011, 17:19
I wonder if the rfl would bring someone from the championship replacing Wakey, but i can't see that really because they won't of had any time to prepare for going into super league.

Wanderer
21st January 2011, 17:32
I would imagine option C would be the one. That means all teams will get a bye at some point in the season. A 13 team league would create mayhem with the fixture list at this late stage.

Armourer
21st January 2011, 17:32
I wonder if the rfl would bring someone from the championship replacing Wakey, but i can't see that really because they won't of had any time to prepare for going into super league.

Especially if they brought in Widnes we would truly be homeless. Like you say I cant see that either!

Northampton_Saint
21st January 2011, 17:49
Especially if they brought in Widnes we would truly be homeless. Like you say I cant see that either!

Very sad, but 2 weekends' rest in the season and 2 less meaningless pre-playoff friendlies to have to hack through I guess. I can't see any way that Widnes or anyone else could be brought in at such short notice to replace them so 13 teams would be the only option.

ploughman
21st January 2011, 18:17
that would leave cas with no fixture at cardiff then,and one less fixture than everyone else at the end of the season.
pity because we could have played cas at cardiff and then wigan could have played st george for the wcc.
i still dont know how you would make up the 'lost 'fixture

100% Saint
21st January 2011, 18:29
that would leave cas with no fixture at cardiff then,and one less fixture than everyone else at the end of the season.
pity because we could have played cas at cardiff and then wigan could have played st george for the wcc.
i still dont know how you would make up the 'lost 'fixture

I know it will proberly be a unfair advantage but whoever plays Wakey, will be given the week off.

Gray77
21st January 2011, 18:36
A 13 team comp would be even more ridiculous than it is now in terms of play-off qualification. 8 teams would make it, 5 wouldn't. We'd have over 60% of teams making the play-offs which would be an absolute joke, not that the current 50-odd % isn't.

Talk some sense!
21st January 2011, 18:45
A 13 team comp would be even more ridiculous than it is now in terms of play-off qualification. 8 teams would make it, 5 wouldn't. We'd have over 60% of teams making the play-offs which would be an absolute joke, not that the current 50-odd % isn't.

That's a very good point - Wakey are on the verge of causing a very big problem for the league. With that in mind i suspect they'll get bailed out but similar to melbourne storm they'll be unable to pickup points and effectively told they're in it to make up numbers until the following season when they will be demoted.

ploughman
21st January 2011, 18:47
I know it will proberly be a unfair advantage but whoever plays Wakey, will be given the week off.

so cas end up with an extra bye than everyone else due to playing wakey 3 times? would they get 2 points for a bye thus resulting in them getting 2 extra points or no points for the bye and resulting in them playing 1 game less thann everyone else?
you're right,whatever happens its going to be unfair

Wanderer
21st January 2011, 19:04
so cas end up with an extra bye than everyone else due to playing wakey 3 times? would they get 2 points for a bye thus resulting in them getting 2 extra points or no points for the bye and resulting in them playing 1 game less thann everyone else?
When the Championship was operating with 11 teams (or was it Championship 1?), they had byes. They didn't get points for the byes. They just didn't play anyone.

The Cardiff weekend does skew things slightly but it might well work out that Cas lose out rather than benefit as they have one less opportunity to win 2 points. I would imagine the only way to balance things out would be to shorten the season by one match.

paulscnthorpe
22nd January 2011, 12:47
it would be massively unfair for widnes, no preparation time, they'd simply be mullered every week, through no fault of their own. there's all sort of problems that wakey going bust would cause for the rest of the league with regards to fixtures, simple things as bradford getting a week off before the playoffs would be an issue.. it's also stands to reason that a lot of teams will be relying on the extra home fixture for revenue (not including whatever slice they get for away fixtures) i don't know the exact numbers, but i would guess that for saints to lose a fixture that had an attendance of 10717 this season (even discounting season ticket holders) would have an impact on saints'.

i have no love at all, but it's not good for a superleague team to be going to the wall.. seems they have been completely mis-managed somewhere along the line..

more importantly, my season ticket has just become less value for money ;)

Tallahassee
22nd January 2011, 12:53
I guess if it went to thirteen teams,all the teams would have a week off,iffy bringing someone in now.

saintgeorge
22nd January 2011, 13:00
The easiest thing would be for the League to bail them out this time and then give them a massive points reduction - for the sake of Super League as a whole. Add Crusaders into the mix here and we are not starting the season on the strongest financial footing. But would they then do any better than, say, Widnes?

Saint Simon
22nd January 2011, 13:19
Wakey need to go into administration, getting 3 winding up orders in a year shows that club cant carry their debt. They should go into administration now, take the points deduction and quietly leave superleague after this year