PDA

View Full Version : does size matter?

the actual don johnson
17th January 2011, 09:24
Just a thought I've been having in the off season. Not sure if it's relevant but most of out "bright new stars" seem to be short a***s. Roby, Eastmond, Lomax, Foster (ish), Moore etc. This is by no means a critisism and I myself am a little lacking in the height department just wondering if anyone else has an opinion....

Or maybe I need to get some work done....

Harri81
17th January 2011, 09:40
I don't think its a major issue as spread across the park we have some good height, Puletua, Gardner, Shenton, Clough, LMSB, Soliola etc.

Pace is my main concern once again this season to be honest

Syd
17th January 2011, 09:41
They all done well so far in their rugby league lives, quite happy with them to be honest.

Saint Simon
17th January 2011, 10:22
Just a thought, if someone asked me the best players of the 90's and 00's i'd prbably say alfie langer and Darren lockyer, not exactly giants of men, but giants of RL!

the actual don johnson
17th January 2011, 10:37
Was just making the point that all of these (more or less) came through our youth system...

Saint Simon
17th January 2011, 10:46
Was just making the point that all of these (more or less) came through our youth system...

Its more that we just seen to be producing half backs at the moment, eastmond, wheeler, lomax and gaskell! Foster's a centre but still, he's not very big either!

Blobbynator
17th January 2011, 11:38
I suppose it depends what position they are. You don't get too many midgets playing at prop, back row or Loose. Same with Centre. I'd say being tall and fast would also help you on the wing and maybe at full back as you deal with high kicks regularly, but there are plenty of exceptions. Brent Webb and Preston Campbell are small but have excelled in their positions as have Rob Burrow and Kyle Eastmond. Being small actually helps those two as they can use their speed and ducking prowess to get past defenders. But people like Paul Newlove and Greg Inglis were / are helped by their height and size as they could / can overpower opponents.

Wellensisno1
17th January 2011, 12:16
Foster is almost 6'2"!

Saint Simon
17th January 2011, 12:18
Foster is almost 6'2"!

fair point, but not much meat on those bones, yet! How big was Jamie Lyon? i dont think he was very tall

Kakariki
17th January 2011, 12:30
The old addage used to be "A good big'un will always beat a good little'un." I'm not entirely sure this is always the case, with Lyon being a good example.
As has been said previously, the examples cited have been half-backs in the main and the attributes needed to be a good half back are often found in shorter, more nimble people. You very rarely see 6"2 scrum-half.

The Hoss
17th January 2011, 12:31
Just a thought I've been having in the off season. Not sure if it's relevant but most of out "bright new stars" seem to be short a***s. Roby, Eastmond, Lomax, Foster (ish), Moore etc. This is by no means a critisism and I myself am a little lacking in the height department just wondering if anyone else has an opinion....

Or maybe I need to get some work done....

Roby? He's possibly one of the strongest player sin SL for his size mate....