PDA

View Full Version : Who are your outsiders !! surprise team

yorkyrl
15th January 2011, 11:46
Personally i think saints will be top.....but my outsiders to do well are CAS ! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Change-Your-Profile-Picture-for-Super-league-16-Count-DOWN/182758811745981?v=wall&filter=2

Harri81
15th January 2011, 12:18
I'm tipping Salford to do well this season and break into the top 8

Agent Mulder
15th January 2011, 12:34
I think Bradford could be back in the big time again this year. Salford I think will do well also.

jamisdaman
15th January 2011, 13:04
I'm tipping Salford to do well this season and break into the top 8

think your right mate, made some decent signings...looks like mcrae has actually done a good job after all after they were calling for his head not much shy of a year ago

100% Saint
15th January 2011, 13:40
I think Crusaders will do well again this season, even though they've had financial trouble.

Syd
15th January 2011, 14:46
bradford

THELAST3YARDS
15th January 2011, 16:20
Dragons!

jonnythesaint
15th January 2011, 17:04
Bradford. Made a few good signings and have a high calibre coach.

The Wee Waa Womble
15th January 2011, 17:11
Not sure there will be any surprise teams. It's hardly a surprise if teams like Bradford and Salford do better than last season given how many signings they've made and how cr*p they were last time. If there is a surprise team it will probably be a team underacheiving and finishing low down the table a la Bradford last season.

jonnythesaint
15th January 2011, 18:17
Not sure there will be any surprise teams. It's hardly a surprise if teams like Bradford and Salford do better than last season given how many signings they've made and how cr*p they were last time. If there is a surprise team it will probably be a team underacheiving and finishing low down the table a la Bradford last season.

I think you're right. Wigan, for instance, aren't as good as they think they are, and a couple of injuries here and there could see them struggle to make the top four.

Houghwood Saint
15th January 2011, 20:16
I think you're right. Wigan, for instance, aren't as good as they think they are, and a couple of injuries here and there could see them struggle to make the top four.

I dont think so really!I dont think they are as good as they think they are ,even if they do think that ,but even with a few injuries theyll finish in the top 3.

PRIVATE EYE
15th January 2011, 20:40
Huddersfield

Northampton_Saint
15th January 2011, 22:58
Can't see any genuine "surprise" teams this year. Huddersfield might make the top 4 at Leeds' expense and Bradford and Salford should make the top 8 all things being equal, but none of those would really constitute "surprises" to me.

JC or is it just GC
15th January 2011, 23:15
I expect Catalan to improve this season and would be surprised if the Bulls aren't there or thereabouts at the end of the season.Non performing teams of 2011, in my opinion, will be HKR and Huddersfield.

Scouse Don
16th January 2011, 09:15
Salford for me

Rogues Gallery
16th January 2011, 10:01

Wigans pack on the subs bench at Salford today is Fielden, Tuson, Lima, Hansen, Mossop and Farrell.
Add to that in waiting O'Carroll, Davies and Hock.

I reckon that should be enough to cover injuries for a top four spot.

Ell Saint Blues
16th January 2011, 10:15
Is Hock's ban finished then? I'll like how Saints have been wrote off a bit in the press. Its the strongest pack we've had for a while.

Huntingtons
16th January 2011, 10:18
On the topic of predictions, hows this from RLFANS resident bore, "Prediction threads are generally a waste of time but I will put down on record that Saints won't make the top 4 next year!"

The blue touch paper is lit.

Rogues Gallery
16th January 2011, 10:45
Is Hock's ban finished then? I'll like how Saints have been wrote off a bit in the press. Its the strongest pack we've had for a while.

He'll be back in June.

Rogues Gallery
16th January 2011, 10:47
On the topic of predictions, hows this from RLFANS resident bore, "Prediction threads are generally a waste of time but I will put down on record that Saints won't make the top 4 next year!"

I didn't know you'd said that.

Supersaint
16th January 2011, 12:40
Us

Albion
16th January 2011, 16:23
For me I think Leeds will struggle again this season:

1. New coach who did ok with Quins, but can he step up?
2. No Danny McGuire for the first part of the season. He seemed to be the only player who had an ok season for them.
3. Not really bringing in quality signings (Ben Cross possible exception)
4. They are a weaker side than they were last year, especially after losing Eastwood.

Surprise team: Huddersfield - will break into the top 4 for me.

Not sure why everyone seems to be picking Bradford, for me the signings they have made have been average at best (apart from Diskin really and of course Bryn ;) )

mister chuffy
16th January 2011, 17:41
No surprises for me, can see Leeds doing •••• all along with Bratfut, Shudds and miscelaneous. A top three made up of Saints, Goons and Dire.

DD
16th January 2011, 18:59
Bradford could be in for a big season. Their superb off the field initiative has secured them 11,000 season ticket holders and the place will be buzzing again, especially with some decent signings.

Salford have also brought in some very good players and will definitely be a big mover this year.

jamisdaman
16th January 2011, 19:03
Dragons!

also a good shout now they dont have a bad coach

Albion
16th January 2011, 20:05
Bradford could be in for a big season. Their superb off the field initiative has secured them 11,000 season ticket holders and the place will be buzzing again, especially with some decent signings.

Salford have also brought in some very good players and will definitely be a big mover this year.

I'm sorry but for me Matt Diskin is the only decent signing

jonnythesaint
16th January 2011, 20:13
Wigans pack on the subs bench at Salford today is Fielden, Tuson, Lima, Hansen, Mossop and Farrell.
Add to that in waiting O'Carroll, Davies and Hock.

I reckon that should be enough to cover injuries for a top four spot.

Absolutely. But the way your mob(and most people to be fair) are talking we may as well give you the trophy now.

ploughman
16th January 2011, 20:22
Its funny how some people are tipping Bradford,considering they have our ex coach who most couldnt wait to get rid of

Marsh
16th January 2011, 20:24
I'm sorry but for me Matt Diskin is the only decent signing

Apart from Oliver Elima who in my opinion is a good player, i would agree with you, guys like Raynor & Walker are dross, Sibbit is garbage.

Rogues Gallery
16th January 2011, 20:37
Absolutely. But the way your mob(and most people to be fair) are talking we may as well give you the trophy now.

But it was you who said

Make your mind up.

Rogues Gallery
16th January 2011, 20:46

The young man to whom you refer is one of the nicest, most knowledgeable and most helpful people I have ever met. The amount of time and information he puts into his website is amazing.

http://www.rugbyleagueontv.co.uk/

I challenge you to do better.

Dynamite Don Brennan
16th January 2011, 21:27
The young man to whom you refer is one of the nicest, most knowledgeable and most helpful people I have ever met. The amount of time and information he puts into his website is amazing.

http://www.rugbyleagueontv.co.uk/

I challenge you to do better.

You derailing threads on this board as well now.
Great.

Northampton_Saint
16th January 2011, 21:32

A very odd (and probably bitter) prediction any way you look at it - we'd need a monumentally bad run of luck with injuries to finish out of the top 4 next season (much worse than last season certainly). I just don't see enough other teams improving by enough to push us down 3 league places unless a bomb hits the Saints team bus frankly.

Rogues Gallery
16th January 2011, 21:53
You derailing threads on this board as well now.
Great.

Surely it's not derailing a thread by replying to a criticism of someone I know, who does a fantastic job through his web site.

But, just to get it back, I expect Salford to be the big improvers this season.

And it's strange you see fit to criticise without posting anything about the original content.

jonnythesaint
16th January 2011, 22:52
But it was you who said

Make your mind up.

Fair enough. ;)

The Hoss
17th January 2011, 12:27
Salford certainly have the potential to be the suprise package with there new signings... Wakefiled will definitley struggle and will porbably finish bottom...

The Hoss
17th January 2011, 12:29
[QUOTE=DD;326356]Bradford could be in for a big season. Their superb off the field initiative has secured them 11,000 season ticket holders QUOTE]

:O Really?

Saint Simon
17th January 2011, 13:44
I think we will be the big surprise, alot of people (outside of St.Helens) arnt even expecting us to finish inside the top 4. Our squad is much stronger than last year, the team seem alot fitter, and we've not been outside the top 2 for 6 years i think!

The Hoss
17th January 2011, 14:08
I think we will be the big surprise, alot of people (outside of St.Helens) arnt even expecting us to finish inside the top 4. Our squad is much stronger than last year, the team seem alot fitter, and we've not been outside the top 2 for 6 years i think!

It is that... Hopefully we'll give it a good crack this year and finally bring back the SL title and/or the CC cup!

I cant wait for next sunday V Widnes never mind the season opener V Wigan!

Gray77
17th January 2011, 19:15

They write us off year after year, this time last year people were predicting our demise and there we were again in the top 2 and at OT. I think we'll win the 16-17 games necessary to finish top 4 without too much hassle. Top 2 may be a stretch this year as we may lose a few more 'home' games especially early on with a few missing and everyone getting used to new surroundings, but 3rd or 4th is very much achievable and maybe better.

Surprise package... Salford. Given that they and Bradford are the only teams outside of last seasons 8 who I think will make it this year I'll go with them as it would be a bigger achievement for them than for Bradford. I still don't think finishing 7th or 8th should be seen as an achievement and shouldn't be rewarded with a play-off spot, but that's a different argument. But I think Salford will do that and for them that'd be a massive step up.

DD
17th January 2011, 19:17
Bradford could be in for a big season. Their superb off the field initiative has secured them 11,000 season ticket holders

:O Really?

The deal was that they would sell season tickets for £60 to everyone providing they sold 10,000 or more. They have sold over 11,000 to date.

DD
17th January 2011, 19:19

We'll make the four but I get the feeling that the fiasco that is unravelling at scrum half could have a big say on things.

It would be a major surprise to me if we bettered the last two seasons, that is for sure.

Gray77
17th January 2011, 20:49
It would be a major surprise to me if we bettered the last two seasons, that is for sure.

Yep, reckon we'll be closer to 30 points than 40 and we could lose upto 10 games, but 16-17 wins will get top 4 IMO and that will be good enough. Going hell for leather for 27 games doesn't get us anywhere, we should prioritise the games against the other big teams and the Cup ties and let our fringe players get lots of game time in the others.

Looking around the league though I only see Wigan and Wire who will be able to match our consistency over 27 games. Both may finish higher but I'd take our chances from 3rd if we went into the play-offs healthy.

Lex
17th January 2011, 21:10
Yep, reckon we'll be closer to 30 points than 40 and we could lose upto 10 games, but 16-17 wins will get top 4 IMO and that will be good enough. Going hell for leather for 27 games doesn't get us anywhere, we should prioritise the games against the other big teams and the Cup ties and let our fringe players get lots of game time in the others.

Looking around the league though I only see Wigan and Wire who will be able to match our consistency over 27 games. Both may finish higher but I'd take our chances from 3rd if we went into the play-offs healthy.

This is as unbiased as I can make it sound. But take into account the severe battering we took with injuries last season, plus some poor coaching methods, Salford away and the GF to name but 2, we still had a very good season, so even just a 50% decrease in the injury front, plus the new signings, particularly in the forwards, and I for one am excited for the season ahead.

Two Wheeled Saint
18th January 2011, 08:39

Why not take each game as it comes and try to win, just as every amateur team does week in- week out? if the player want to play and aren't carrying injury just play them.

The Hoss
18th January 2011, 16:40
The deal was that they would sell season tickets for £60 to everyone providing they sold 10,000 or more. They have sold over 11,000 to date.

In that case, well played Bradford..

Rogues Gallery
18th January 2011, 16:44
In that case, well played Bradford..

The Bull's are also to provide a free season ticket to any players aged 16 or under who are registered with an amateur club in the Bradford and Keighley area.

Great idea.

The Hoss
18th January 2011, 16:58
The Bull's are also to provide a free season ticket to any players aged 16 or under who are registered with an amateur club in the Bradford and Keighley area.

Great idea.

Certainly is... We did a similar scheme last year for juniors, when you bought the home shirt you got a free junior season ticket... I honestly thought we would have tried something similar this year seen as though were playing at Widnes.

Private Pyle
18th January 2011, 19:57

That's fantastic. Actually perhaps that's something the RFL should look to encourage (if not organise) in future, rather than just one club. The kids are the future after all!

Lex
18th January 2011, 20:01
That's fantastic. Actually perhaps that's something the RFL should look to encourage (if not organise) in future, rather than just one club. The kids are the future after all!

I too believe the children are the future. Wait a minute, there's a song there somewhere.

dane2k8
18th January 2011, 20:45
Bradford will be the surprise team this year for me.

Barney Rubble
18th January 2011, 20:51
I too believe the children are the future. Wait a minute, there's a song there somewhere.

As long as we teach them well:%