PDA

View Full Version : St George supporters coming over from Oz

The Major
9th January 2011, 00:31
Gday guys. Firstly i'd like to start off by wishing you all the very best for season 2011 and that your mighty Saints can get the chocolates and steal the premiership trophy away from the Cherry and Whites!

As you should already know, our beloved Saints are heading your way late February to destroy Wigan in the World Club Challenge. Myself and quite a few of my fellow tragic Saints supporter mates are trekking across to throw our support behind our team and help bring home the WCC title. We are actively involved with a core group of others affectionately known as the Dragon Army who each and every week provide an atmosphere in the stands or on the hill unrivalled in the NRL with our flags, banners, singing (well maybe not up to the English standard).

http://www.ourredv.com/OurRedV/PICS/Pages/Grand_Final.html#1
http://www.ourredv.com/OurRedV/PICS/Pages/Round_22.html#0

We are looking forward to, albeit hoping to, sharing our own unique level of support with your lot, St Helens, on the Friday night (25th Feb) when you take on Warrington at Widnes. We are hoping to get our hands on some tickets to the match when they come on sale in the not too distant future. Does your core supporter base have the equivilant of our Dragon Army whereas all the singing, etc comes from at the matches? We would be honoured to come and get amongst it all with you lot at this match, and stand shoulder to shoulder with our English counterparts and you lot be part of our first Super League experience as we build up to Sundays match against Wigan.

Seeing as though you are playing out of a different stadium this season, have you guys sussed out where the best local watering hole is for a parched Saints supporter to down an ale or three pre and post match? If we cant get tickets amongst you guys at the match, itd be great to get to know some of our far away Saints supporters over a few pints and spin the odd yarn here and there. We wont be in the UK for very long, and getting to attend a Super League match featuring the other red vee is high up on the 'to do' list and an experience we're really looking forward to!

Also, if you havent done so, or are contemplating it, we'd love to have your support on the Sunday at DW Stadium as the mighty St George Illawarra Dragons rip Wigan a new one! Such a shame its not one red vee vs the other. That'd be awesome! Hopefully this time next year we can be discussing this.

Thanks for your time lads and ladettes. Looking forward to heading your way and experiencing what is surely going to be a fantastic time (and a cold one!) and more importantly a successful one!

Go the Saints!!

Red_V_Roger
9th January 2011, 01:39
Hope you have a good trip.

I think you will find that the atmosphere is completely different at English games compared to over here....

I will let thoughs in St Helens answer your questions as I escaped from St Helens to The Shire 3 1/2 years ago... We like St George because of the St Helens links, but 2011 will be the year of The Sharks

The Major
9th January 2011, 01:53
Jeremy Smith would be the only player in the 2011 Sharks who would know what a grand final experience is wouldnt he? I think you were missing an extra "0" in your date. Sharks 20011 premiers.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts re the St Helens queries. How would you say it is different between here and there?

The Chair Maker
9th January 2011, 02:52
My limited experience of Aus is that Sydney fans treat RL matches like a library.

Queensland fans seem more passionate and shout and sing a bit.

However from my British perspective you are all rather reserved.

Saints fans are likely to be located mainly in the North and East stand, though i expect the match to sell out.

The more vocal element will probably be in the East stand.

If your going to support the original Saints you need to at least learn a couple of songs.

The easy one is W*nky W*nky W*nky W*nky Warrington

However every RL fans favourite Saints song is as follows (this is sung to John Denvers, Annies song)

You light up my senses,
Like a gallon of Greenalls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenalls),
Like a kebab (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebab) from Geno's,
Like a good sniff of glue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glue_sniffing)!,
Like a night out at Martine's,
Like a split fish and curry,
Oh St Helens rugby,
Come thrill me again!

Red_V_Roger
9th January 2011, 04:58
Jeremy Smith would be the only player in the 2011 Sharks who would know what a grand final experience is wouldnt he? I think you were missing an extra "0" in your date. Sharks 20011 premiers.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts re the St Helens queries. How would you say it is different between here and there?

I think the big problem with Aussie crowds - especially at all-seater stadium - like ANZ for Origin...is the way most tickets are bought online and so you dont really get a 'home' and 'away' end, its blue sat next to maroon, next to blue etc. That doesn't give you the territorial feel of a British game, where even at Britsh Grand Finals, ticket are allocated to each club, so most people buy tickets at the 'end' where their fans will be. But this is also true of normal club games where there is a definate home and away end.

Generally, the Aussie games don't have any singing - again take Origin 'New South Wales' and 'Queensland' is about the only thing people chant.

When we hadn't been here long, we went to a Titans v Rabbits game on the Gold Coast, the only time the crowd shouted was when the guy got on the PA and told them to!

Make sure you take some warm stuff for the UK in Feb!

And yes, You light up my senses has become the classic Saints song. In translation:

You light up my senses,
Like a gallon of Greenalls, - Greenalls was the local brewer, sadly no longer in existance
Like a kebab from Geno's, - Geno's - famous late night kebab stop - you never got one when you were sober, but after the gallon of Greenals they taste pretty good.
Like a good sniff of glue!,
Like a night out at Martine's, - Martines - A long gone night club that had some of the most sticky carpet and grab a granny nights you could get. I used to go there so often in the 1990's I got invited to the staff Christmas party!
Like a split fish and curry, - A 'Split' being a classic St Helens takeaway dish. Don't ask for a split at a chip shop anywhere other than St Helens, they wont have a clue what you want.
Oh St Helens rugby,
Come thrill me again!

Wanderer
9th January 2011, 10:19
Does your core supporter base have the equivilant of our Dragon Army whereas all the singing, etc comes from at the matches?
It used to do: the Pop (Popular) Side used to be the place where the singing started. But that was at Knowsley Road. We've now left Knowsley Road, it's going to be demolished, and are on the road for a season at Widnes. The Pop Side, so far as I know, will be scattered around the stadium at Widnes. We used to be pretty good at singing and chanting but what it will be like at Widnes is anyone's guess. Some people may know of watering holes local to the place in Widnes, but I am not one of them. I think I've been to Widnes twice in my life.

I've already booked my place at Wigan for the WCC and the plan is to be sitting where you guys are sitting, which would be great.

Oh, and many of us were hoping that it would be the red vee against the red vee. Alas, we keep losing grand finals!

Looking forward to seeing the down under Saints visit our little town. Wrap up warm, bring an umbrella, and don't expect Sydney-style living here. We're a little town with not a lot happening. There is a beach not too far away but it's a bit cold to visit, depending how brave you are!

C'mon you Saints!

paulscnthorpe
9th January 2011, 13:28
it's a case of wait and see for the first game, because i don't think everyone will know where the noise will be coming from.. i've only attended one game in australia, manly @ wests, was with the manly away fans who where very noisy, but that's probably because it was more of the hardcore away fans (as it was torrential rain)

tricia
9th January 2011, 18:27
There is a boWling club at the back of the car park AT Widnes that has always been good, for the Wire game expect a few knobs about so the town centre may be worth a miss that game

ploughman
9th January 2011, 19:20
Hope you have a good trip.

I think you will find that the atmosphere is completely different at English games compared to over here....

I will let thoughs in St Helens answer your questions as I escaped from St Helens to The Shire 3 1/2 years ago... We like St George because of the St Helens links, but 2011 will be the year of The Sharks

people move on in life,but most never forget their roots.if st helens was that bad,you had to 'escape',why do you keep coming back on this forum?secretl missing the old place?

oldshep1960
9th January 2011, 20:10
people move on in life,but most never forget their roots.if st helens was that bad,you had to 'escape',why do you keep coming back on this forum?secretl missing the old place?EH! wot you on about, he's still a saints fan, and anyway i miss the place when i go to work at jaguar in halewood !!!!

Northampton_Saint
9th January 2011, 20:35
As someone who escaped 23 years ago, the only things I've ever missed about 'Tellins are being able to walk to Saints, being able to go into chippies and asking for a "split and a fish" without the woman behind the counter calling the police, and Pimmies. As Pimmies have now gone utter and complete s***e that leaves only 2 things to recommend the place ("Dream" is OK I guess but is hardly a decent replacement for the long lost and lamented steak and meat 'n potato with a raspberry tart for afters). Face it guys but the place is a horrible dump and were it not for Saints and the requisite family visits you'd never see me near the place.

Spider Ski
9th January 2011, 20:46
Sexy sexy shirt tifo.

Be good to meet up with you, we have a superb array of flags (it HAS to grow). the old Scaff Wall (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs183.snc1/6093_108373621278_754736278_2350884_636488_n.jpg)

Maybe turner will allow the big boy to return for trips to Widnes.

We don't sing any more though.

cjhatesunion
9th January 2011, 20:46
As someone who escaped 23 years ago, the only things I've ever missed about 'Tellins are being able to walk to Saints, being able to go into chippies and asking for a "split and a fish" without the woman behind the counter calling the police, and Pimmies. As Pimmies have now gone utter and complete s***e that leaves only 2 things to recommend the place ("Dream" is OK I guess but is hardly a decent replacement for the long lost and lamented steak and meat 'n potato with a raspberry tart for afters). Face it guys but the place is a horrible dump and were it not for Saints and the requisite family visits you'd never see me near the place.

That's your opinion mate but I have lived here all my life and it's not as bad as you are making out.
What's so good about Northampton anyway,I would imagine it's full of rah-rahs,if it is it can't be that good.

jonnythesaint
9th January 2011, 20:56

Are you taking the ****, or are you just a complete and utter knob?

Glasgowsaint
9th January 2011, 21:02
St Helens is no better and no worse than a lot of the places in the UK. You should be more proud of your roots Northampton Saint !

Wanderer
9th January 2011, 21:05
Face it guys but the place is a horrible dump and were it not for Saints and the requisite family visits you'd never see me near the place.
To be fair to Sintellins, it's a lot better than it was 23 years ago.

ploughman
9th January 2011, 21:35

class!

ploughman
9th January 2011, 21:43
St.Helens is a working class town which has taken its fair share of knocks over the years.Pilks,Beachams and the mines to name three.As Glasgow Saint says,it is no better or worse than a lot of towns in the UK.Why do people who have left seem to thnk that they have to knock the town on this forum?we all have opinions,but i think its wrong to have a go at the town on here.

Barney Rubble
9th January 2011, 21:49
As someone who escaped 23 years ago, the only things I've ever missed about 'Tellins are being able to walk to Saints, being able to go into chippies and asking for a "split and a fish" without the woman behind the counter calling the police, and Pimmies. As Pimmies have now gone utter and complete s***e that leaves only 2 things to recommend the place ("Dream" is OK I guess but is hardly a decent replacement for the long lost and lamented steak and meat 'n potato with a raspberry tart for afters). Face it guys but the place is a horrible dump and were it not for Saints and the requisite family visits you'd never see me near the place. If your so concerned about the pies then maybe next time you make the journey up might i suggest you keep going....to the other side of the lump and be bored for 80 mins a week ! Oh by the way i deal with people from Northamton and from what i hear its defo no better !:cool::cool::cool:

Spider Ski
9th January 2011, 22:12
St.Helens is a working class town which has taken its fair share of knocks over the years.Pilks,Beachams and the mines to name three.As Glasgow Saint says,it is no better or worse than a lot of towns in the UK.Why do people who have left seem to thnk that they have to knock the town on this forum?we all have opinions,but i think its wrong to have a go at the town on here.

I'd argue it is the perfect place to have a go about the town.

ploughman
9th January 2011, 22:17
I'd argue it is the perfect place to have a go about the town.

This is a rugby forum,not location,location,location

Spider Ski
9th January 2011, 22:24
This is a rugby forum,not location,location,location

It's a rugby forums around St Helens RLFC. Whether you like it or not, the fates of the club and the town are remarkably interwoven. People who support St Helens care about the town. I do. I think it's a terrible place, I wouldn't have visited if it wasn't for the rugby, but then I wouldn't have made some very great friends. I care about those guys, and how the town can adversely, or positively affect them.

This is the perfect place because you get a wide variety of people. You get people who still live there, people who've never lived there, and people who've moved away.

Blobbynator
9th January 2011, 22:25
Back on topic...

You've picked the perfect game in St. Helens v Warrington as it's likely to be a big crowd, probably a sell out and the games between us and Warrington are always top drawer. Warrington will bring a big, vocal crowd and the Saints fans are always loud for the big games. Tickets will probably go on sale shortly (within the next few weeks) which you'll be able to purchase online. I would just keep tabs on the official site - http://www.saintsrlfc.com/ and check the news feed and the tickets section. I imagine it'll be close to a sell out and if it does, tickets will probably be gone during the week of the game. You may get lucky and be able to walk up on the night.

I imagine the vocal section of the Saints supporters will be behind the posts (East Stand?), but the side section (North Stand?) will also be heavily populated. I'll be sat in the side section myself and like to chant at matches.

As for pubs etc, no idea. There is one right near the ground but I've forgotten the name of it.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your stay over here and good luck in the World Club Challenge. Do the Saints proud! ;)

Red_V_Roger
9th January 2011, 22:27
Face it guys but the place is a horrible dump and were it not for Saints and the requisite family visits you'd never see me near the place.

Perhaps not the words I would have used...but feelings along the same lines.

I hope the St George fans have a great time. Shame they wont be watching our Saints on a true home ground...new or old.

I am sure British Rugby League will welcome the travelling fans, which is more than what the Kiwi's did to us at the Four Nations, when the best they could manage was throwing bottles of p*55 at us.

jonnythesaint
9th January 2011, 22:35
It's a rugby forums around St Helens RLFC. Whether you like it or not, the fates of the club and the town are remarkably interwoven. People who support St Helens care about the town. I do. I think it's a terrible place, I wouldn't have visited if it wasn't for the rugby, but then I wouldn't have made some very great friends. I care about those guys, and how the town can adversely, or positively affect them.

This is the perfect place because you get a wide variety of people. You get people who still live there, people who've never lived there, and people who've moved away.
Why is it a terrible place?

Spider Ski
9th January 2011, 22:50

Because, like many many towns in the North West, it suffers from a serious lack of under investment in the wake of the decline of industry.

Don't worry, I slam my area in much the same way.

Northampton_Saint
10th January 2011, 10:38

Screw you buddy ;)

Just the general whiff of decay and desolation about much of the place I guess. And the massive chav and knuckle scraping lowlife element that infests the town doesn't help. Throw in a healthy dose of endemic bigotry from a sizeable proportion of the population and bingo - a horrible place is born.

Nothampton has it's share of decay, chav scumbags and miscellaneous -isms as well of course but to nothing like the same concentrations as 'Tellins does.

Wizards Sleeve
10th January 2011, 13:39
The pub on the corner is called The Albion. Nice big ale house just two minutes walk from the ground. Also one further down called The Cricketers. Or at least that's what they used to be called. I agree though, they could both be full of Wire knobs.

Having a drink near the ground this season could be real problem. There will be next to no walk up supporters (apart from Widnes fans who get free Saints tickets with their own season tickets). There's gonna effectively 10,000 away fans at every game who have travelled by car, bus etc. Parking will be a nightmare too.

Go smash 'em guys. I'm sure most Saints fans will behind the other red vee against Wigan...

jonnythesaint
10th January 2011, 14:14
Screw you buddy ;)

Just the general whiff of decay and desolation about much of the place I guess. And the massive chav and knuckle scraping lowlife element that infests the town doesn't help. Throw in a healthy dose of endemic bigotry from a sizeable proportion of the population and bingo - a horrible place is born.

Nothampton has it's share of decay, chav scumbags and miscellaneous -isms as well of course but to nothing like the same concentrations as 'Tellins does.
So you're a knob then. Cheers for the heads up.

The Chair Maker
10th January 2011, 14:45
There will be next to no walk up supporters (apart from Widnes fans who get free Saints tickets with their own season tickets). There's gonna effectively 10,000 away fans at every game who have travelled by car, bus etc. Parking will be a nightmare too.

Not heard the highlighted bit, and cant see it stated anywhere on the Widnes website.

How will that work then as Saints fans have dedicated seats allocated?
Also if this is the case, then would it not be better for Saints fans to purchase a Widnes season ticket for the forthcoming season as a family ticket can be had for just £193 at Widnes.

IS this therefore just gossip?

Northampton_Saint
10th January 2011, 14:48
So you're a knob then. Cheers for the heads up.

Nope - just an intelligent, well educated guy capable of reasoned debate without resorting to childish namecalling in the absence of said debating ability. Unlike some.

jonnythesaint
10th January 2011, 15:05
Nope - just an intelligent, well educated guy capable of reasoned debate without resorting to childish namecalling in the absence of said debating ability. Unlike some.
Yet you seem to form the most awful opinions on a town, and it's population, that you haven't lived in for 23 years, and only pop back to watch the rugby team, and visit family.

They're not the opinions of an "intelligent, well educated guy" they're the opinions of a knob, no matter how you like to dress it up.

Northampton_Saint
10th January 2011, 16:56
Yet you seem to form the most awful opinions on a town, and it's population, that you haven't lived in for 23 years, and only pop back to watch the rugby team, and visit family.

They're not the opinions of an "intelligent, well educated guy" they're the opinions of a knob, no matter how you like to dress it up.

Whatever... You just keep yourself warm at nights with your silly arguments, preposterously formed opinions and brainless insults if it makes you happy. I'll just keep on forming my own opinions based on my experiences of visiting the town regularly and knowing and frequently speaking to lots of people who live there instead if that's all right with you?

Perhaps there are other opinions I've formed through first hand experience that you'd like to insult me for and instead try and argue that I should instead have another opinion based on no truth whatsoever. Let's try this topical one on for starters - in my experience winter tends to be cold. Please feel free to now tell me that I'm a t**t for thinking that, that I'm talking through my a**e for having that opinion and that it's actually warm, so there.

Anyway, as I've said, St. Helens is indeed populated by a very high number of mouth breathing, knuckle scraping lowlifes. Thank you for so ably demonstrating my point for me first hand. I am in your debt, as always.

Mac Saint
10th January 2011, 18:47

You should think yourself lucky that your not from Castleford/Wakefield like me :p

Barney Rubble
10th January 2011, 18:57
Whatever... You just keep yourself warm at nights with your silly arguments, preposterously formed opinions and brainless insults if it makes you happy. I'll just keep on forming my own opinions based on my experiences of visiting the town regularly and knowing and frequently speaking to lots of people who live there instead if that's all right with you?

Perhaps there are other opinions I've formed through first hand experience that you'd like to insult me for and instead try and argue that I should instead have another opinion based on no truth whatsoever. Let's try this topical one on for starters - in my experience winter tends to be cold. Please feel free to now tell me that I'm a t**t for thinking that, that I'm talking through my a**e for having that opinion and that it's actually warm, so there.

Anyway, as I've said, St. Helens is indeed populated by a very high number of mouth breathing, knuckle scraping lowlifes. Thank you for so ably demonstrating my point for me first hand. I am in your debt, as always.first you offend st helens people now your offending mother nature saying its cold in winter !

Northampton_Saint
10th January 2011, 22:51
You should think yourself lucky that your not from Castleford/Wakefield like me :p

Ouch! Castleford makes St. Helens look like... well, Northampton really ;)

first you offend st helens people now your offending mother nature saying its cold in winter !

Oh, don't get me started on her.... And as for that God bloke... ;)

Ell Saint Blues
10th January 2011, 22:56
Why has this thread gone so randomly off topic, I hope the St George fans don't read it, as it would certainley put me off meeting up with our fans.

Red_V_Roger
11th January 2011, 08:16
Why has this thread gone so randomly off topic, I hope the St George fans don't read it, as it would certainley put me off meeting up with our fans.

I don't think you need worry:

Brighton-Le-Sands Beach - 5 minutes from St George

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Widnes_Smoke.jpg

Widnes & River Mersey - 5 minutes from Widnes

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/26245728.jpg

They'll work it out.

ploughman
11th January 2011, 10:24

This is the beauty of the internet.Without it us mere mortals from the frozen north of England wouldn't know what it's like south of the Runcorn Bridge.Oh well,i have to go and put my flat cap on and take the wippets for a walk

They'll work it out.

Wizards Sleeve
11th January 2011, 12:16
Not heard the highlighted bit, and cant see it stated anywhere on the Widnes website.

How will that work then as Saints fans have dedicated seats allocated?
Also if this is the case, then would it not be better for Saints fans to purchase a Widnes season ticket for the forthcoming season as a family ticket can be had for just £193 at Widnes.

IS this therefore just gossip?

I could have been misinformed. Half my family are from Widnes, I was a with couple of my uncles last week (who I might add are NOT season ticket holders), that's what they told me but your comments make more sense. To be honest I thought the same. Maybe they got it wrong, maybe Saints STH can go to Widnes games. That would make more sense.

luckysaint
11th January 2011, 12:41

Hooray another Saints fan in Waky (well Normy, it's all the same really), thought I was the only one!! You are right though it is probably worse than St Helens, thankfully we are near(ish) to some Cities where there is a bit more life and a good curry is available.

Wanderer
11th January 2011, 20:37
good curry is available.
There's good curry available in St Helens, on North Road. I love that takeaway. And I've lived in Yarkshire too, home of the curry.

There are many places worse than St Helens. Wigan, for instance. :)

tricia
11th January 2011, 21:07
Northampton Saint is spot on we do have knuckle draggers is St Helens, and a council who have allowed too many hostels to circulate the centre. Now Northampton that multi cultural centre of grooming of teenage girls, and with a thriving red light area fuelled by er drugs. Not much in it pal really. As for Australia its hot its sweaty and you will always be an outsider having barbies with ex pats talking about hhome

The Major
11th January 2011, 23:22
Fair dinkum guys! Handbags at 20 paces!! Can we get back on topic please? I respect the fact you all are staunch about where you are from and where you are at, but can you save the hijacking for another thread? My ovaries are hurting.

Syd
12th January 2011, 11:09
I am sure the whole of St Helens will be cheering on the St George team, and no doubt there will be St Helens fans in atendance giving it a " come on you saintsssss " and sticking the fingers to the backward pie fans :)

Enjoy the trip to all georgie fans, bring yer thermals and enjoy the fantastic exchange rate, you can afford to drink and eat for a change now.

GOOD LUCK THE VEE

Reacher
12th January 2011, 11:27

They'll work it out.

Good use of pictures there. I could just as easily produce a picture of the Lake District/Cotswolds etc and compare it to a shitty town in Australia.

People like you make me laugh, you emigrate but still feel fit to slag off your roots. A couple of my mates live in Oz and NZ but just enjoy their life without feeling the need to brag or to denigrate others. Lets face it, the big draw is the climate and even then its not always rosy. Am sure the people of Queensland and Brisbane will testify to that.

I am a well travelled person who has also lived in London for a few years also so don't tar me with someone who has never left St Helens. I could emigrate tomorrow but appreciate my close family and mates and have a great social life that means I don't miss the idea of moving. If it suits you great, but stop finding ways of putting the boot in when there are others who are naturally proud of their roots.

If Australia's climate was like ours, it would be nothing like the same.

Oh I will say one thing, the food must be great over there as judging by the pics you post, you certainly eat enough of it.

welshsaint
12th January 2011, 12:14

They'll work it out.

Jeeze I pass through Widnes every Saints home game and many of the away games too and I haven't seen either the beach or that street. Some-one's aving a giraffe. That brighton-le-sands looks a bit mucky

Geoggy
12th January 2011, 14:47
Good use of pictures there. I could just as easily produce a picture of the Lake District/Cotswolds etc and compare it to a shitty town in Australia.

People like you make me laugh, you emigrate but still feel fit to slag off your roots. A couple of my mates live in Oz and NZ but just enjoy their life without feeling the need to brag or to denigrate others. Lets face it, the big draw is the climate and even then its not always rosy. Am sure the people of Queensland and Brisbane will testify to that.

I am a well travelled person who has also lived in London for a few years also so don't tar me with someone who has never left St Helens. I could emigrate tomorrow but appreciate my close family and mates and have a great social life that means I don't miss the idea of moving. If it suits you great, but stop finding ways of putting the boot in when there are others who are naturally proud of their roots.

Oh I will say one thing, the food must be great over there as judging by the pics you post, you certainly eat enough of it.

Miaow!

Fair point though. I live in London, but St Helens is still home, always will be.

Syd
12th January 2011, 19:38
Miaow!

Fair point though. I live in London, but St Helens is still home, always will be.

Yeah, but its a shyt home isnt it , nowt like yer penthouse in Richmond, and your winter house in Windsor.

ploughman
12th January 2011, 20:32

excellent post.my thoughts to a point.my wife was brought up in northern ireland,but never once have i heard i say she was glad to escape or rubbish the place where she lived.she is proud of her roots.

Red_V_Roger
13th January 2011, 03:10

I think if you read my posts on this thread, I haven't been slagging off St Helens. In my first post, I only used the word 'escape' which everyone else with views appears to have jumped on. I also suggested in part that I had feelings for one of the other posters views without adding my own slagging. In fact in that reply, to the poster that said, "St Helens is a horrible dump" I actually said that that is not the words I would use. In a thread that had gone way off topic my joke was to compare and contrast WIDNES with St George - again not slagging St Helens.

Do I think St Helens is an industrial hole when I walk round there on a wet Thursday afternoon looking at women/girls wearing a dirty track suit with fag in one hand and pie in the other pushing two kids round in a pram (both from different unknown fathers), well 'yes' I do.

Is St Helens a reasonable northern town on a typical Saturday morning when there is a more mix of young, middle age, old folk, employeed and unemployed. Well yes again.

Reacher
13th January 2011, 07:25
I think if you read my posts on this thread, I haven't been slagging off St Helens. In my first post, I only used the word 'escape' which everyone else with views appears to have jumped on. I also suggested in part that I had feelings for one of the other posters views without adding my own slagging. In fact in that reply, to the poster that said, "St Helens is a horrible dump" I actually said that that is not the words I would use. In a thread that had gone way off topic my joke was to compare and contrast WIDNES with St George - again not slagging St Helens.

Do I think St Helens is an industrial hole when I walk round there on a wet Thursday afternoon looking at women/girls wearing a dirty track suit with fag in one hand and pie in the other pushing two kids round in a pram (both from different unknown fathers), well 'yes' I do.

Is St Helens a reasonable northern town on a typical Saturday morning when there is a more mix of young, middle age, old folk, employeed and unemployed. Well yes again.

Am not talking about St Helens per se, I have not lived there (well Haydock) for 14 yrs. I know it has its major share of problems like many other urban towns throughout the country. What riles me is when ex pats criticise the country as a whole when England as a country has lots to offer. It has some of the most stunning scenery and countryside in the world and in a city like London, has something that is revered the world over.

Thousands of Aussies and Kiwis come over here every year so it can't be that bad. People who move to Oz make out as though it is the be all and end all of the universe. All I am saying is that its major draw is the climate. Take that away and what's so special? The outdoor life is through the weather, the barbies are because of the weather etc.

Some parts of Sydney are shitholes, yet this is conveniently forgotten when people talk about Oz. I have no problems at all when peolpe want to move for what they consider to be a better life and good luck to them, its just when they feel fit to slag off their roots at any opportunity that annoys me.

Reacher
13th January 2011, 07:30
It won't let me edit my posts, but what I also wanted to say was the fact that Australia has crime and also chavs. St Helens is not a fair representation of the whole of the UK and what that has to offer.

Red_V_Roger
13th January 2011, 07:33
Am not talking about St Helens per se, I have not lived there (well Haydock) for 14 yrs. I know it has its major share of problems like many other urban towns throughout the country. What riles me is when ex pats criticise the country as a whole when England as a country has lots to offer. It has some of the most stunning scenery and countryside in the world and in a city like London, has something that is revered the world over.

Thousands of Aussies and Kiwis come over here every year so it can't be that bad. People who move to Oz make out as though it is the be all and end all of the universe. All I am saying is that its major draw is the climate. Take that away and what's so special? The outdoor life is through the weather, the barbies are because of the weather etc.

Some parts of Sydney are shitholes, yet this is conveniently forgotten when people talk about Oz. I have no problems at all when peolpe want to move for what they consider to be a better life and good luck to them, its just when they feel fit to slag off their roots at any opportunity that annoys me.

Whatever mate...like I say my joke pictures made me the most stand out post...but it was people a lot closer to home slagging St Helens off. Anyway, I'm off back to the BBQ...can't let all this good Aussie food go to waste. :)

Geoggy
13th January 2011, 08:43
Yeah, but its a shyt home isnt it , nowt like yer penthouse in Richmond, and your winter house in Windsor.

Winter house is actually Eton, but close enough cockle!

Syd
13th January 2011, 10:33
Winter house is actually Eton, but close enough cockle!

I cant say ETON, not since Squire Wilson-Ellison who was head master at the school banned me back in 1984, sold the house, sold the stables, sold the 3 shops and even sold the water taxi service we had down there... ETON stinks !

the actual don johnson
13th January 2011, 11:20

We emmigrated to oz when I was 6 and moved back a year later. My dad missed his family and my parents always say that the weather is warm but often it's so warm that you can't even sit out, you have to stay inside where its cooler. then there's the issues with the mozzies which arr just horrendous. i remember being eaten alive on certain days, afraid to go out.

I am really pleased they came back actually and never consider how different my life might be if we had stayed. We came back to st helens and we all still live there now.

The Major
13th January 2011, 11:22
Guys, how many kms or time is St Helens/the George and DW Stadium away from Manchester? We will be staying there and would love to find out how far we have to go and how long it will take. We're planning on checking out the St Helens shop and would love to have a beer with you lot at the George! Then maybe hitch a ride to the WCC. A nice warmup in a pub full of northern and southern Saints fans would be a great way to start off the day!

paulscnthorpe
13th January 2011, 11:56
Guys, how many kms or time is St Helens/the George and DW Stadium away from Manchester? We will be staying there and would love to find out how far we have to go and how long it will take. We're planning on checking out the St Helens shop and would love to have a beer with you lot at the George! Then maybe hitch a ride to the WCC. A nice warmup in a pub full of northern and southern Saints fans would be a great way to start off the day!

Depends on how you'll be getting here. It's about half an hour (on a very good day) by car, but it could be easily an hour, if you're not renting a car, don't get a taxi because it it'll set you back a fair bit. The best bet is by train. See which Manchester station you are nearest to, and go on 'thetrainline.com' and search to st Helens central, that's for the club shop and for the George. I'm sure if you arranged a night to come down, bert will put something on for you. Trains will be about 9quid return and are easy enough.

Red_V_Roger
13th January 2011, 22:40

Just a tip - if you decided to stay in St Helens at all, the Park Inn (operated by Radisson) is about your best/only bet for hotel level accomodation. They are doing rooms at GBP56 at the moment, which given the current exchange rate is cheap as.

There are 'travel lodges' somewhere in between our hotel/motels, but they are all rather out of the centre - much better deal saying at the Park Inn. Note this is not to be confused with "The Park View Hotel' on Prescot Road in St Helens, which is somewhere completely different.

The Major
15th January 2011, 08:14
Is there somewhere or someone at the St Helens club or whoever the ticketing agency might be who could assist us in getting a group purchase for your game vs Warrington? Theres a few of us who'd want to go and we'd all love to sit together (ie, if its all reserved seating? Or is it just general admin in some parts and sit where u like?). We have been discussing starting off at the George before the WCC match but our travelling arrangements we have made already appears to negate that option. If we get tickets to your game then we'd be ready to rock n roll at the George before and after with you lot. If you'll have us of course!

Spider Ski
15th January 2011, 10:50
Is there somewhere or someone at the St Helens club or whoever the ticketing agency might be who could assist us in getting a group purchase for your game vs Warrington? Theres a few of us who'd want to go and we'd all love to sit together (ie, if its all reserved seating? Or is it just general admin in some parts and sit where u like?). We have been discussing starting off at the George before the WCC match but our travelling arrangements we have made already appears to negate that option. If we get tickets to your game then we'd be ready to rock n roll at the George before and after with you lot. If you'll have us of course!

PM Saints Media Manager on here.

Are you guys bringing your banners over? Be good to meet up and get your banners alongside ours in the ground.

Wanderer
15th January 2011, 11:03
Just a tip - if you decided to stay in St Helens at all, the Park Inn (operated by Radisson) is about your best/only bet for hotel level accomodation. They are doing rooms at GBP56 at the moment, which given the current exchange rate is cheap as.
To be fair, there is also The Thistle Hotel (http://www.thistle.com/en/hotels/united_kingdom/haydock/thistle_haydock/index.html)in Haydock which is a four star hotel and nicer than the Park Inn, although less central. (Incidentally, the Park Inn was in administration for about a year and has just been bought by an Asian company) Having said that, it is located near the East Lancs Road, which would mean a straightforward journey by car to Wigan and indeed anywhere as the M6 is also nearby. But it is a distance away from the train stations should they wish to travel to Wigan by train. I don't know whether the Wigan bus goes through Haydock? I suspect it doesn't. But if it does then that would solve that problem if they wanted a nice place to stay while in the area.

There is also a Holiday Inn near Haydock Park racecourse.

St Helens is a dump, yes, but it is not completely without facilities! And they can always play lazer tag just off College Street if they are bored! Who could want for more?

Is there somewhere or someone at the St Helens club or whoever the ticketing agency might be who could assist us in getting a group purchase for your game vs Warrington?
You could contact the George as they might be able to arrange a group booking for you or alternatively email Saints direct (http://www.saintsrlfc.com/clubinfo/71). Mike Appleton is very helpful.

insaint
15th January 2011, 13:08
The best bet is by train. See which Manchester station you are nearest to, and go on 'thetrainline.com' and search to st Helens central, that's for the club shop and for the George. I'm sure if you arranged a night to come down, bert will put something on for you. Trains will be about 9quid return and are easy enough.
They'd have to get off at St.Helens Junction or Lea Green, though, then get the bus into town, as there are no trains from Manchester to St.Helens central.

The Chair Maker
15th January 2011, 14:02
For the St.George fans i would recommend that they actually spend at least a day out in Liverpool, as its a fabulous city, far nicer than Manchester.

Here is a link to the official Liverpool tourism website, which also has St.Helens as a subsection, as although people in St.Helens wont admit it, we are basically a suburb of Liverpool. A bit like Penrith is to Sydney.

http://www.visitliverpool.com/

IF going to Liverpool, the boss of the "Fly in the Loaf" pub on Hardman street is a big RL fan, and im sure he will likely make you all very welcome.
Its one of Liverpools most celebrated pubs, and is only a short walk from the Philarmonic pub which is regarded as the finest pub in the whole of Britain.
http://www.flyintheloaf.co.uk/index.php

http://pub-scene.com/pubs/PhilharmonicDiningRooms.htm

Trains go direct from the various Manchester stations to Liverpool regularly. The main ones being Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Victoria.

You can then get a train direct from Liverpool Lime street (the main railway station) to St.Helens Central. These trains also go through to "Wigan North Western", the main Wigan station in the town centre. So it ideal if making a long day of it pre match if you wished to do that.

Here is link to train times.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

The Major
16th January 2011, 03:32
PM Saints Media Manager on here.

Are you guys bringing your banners over? Be good to meet up and get your banners alongside ours in the ground.

Yeah we sure are indeed. Including the most famous in the NRL - GST (Great St George Team). Some of the guys who arent able to make the trek over to the UK with us will also be loading me up with their banners also. We'd be most appreciative to have some helping hands with them at the match if possible.

Wanderer
16th January 2011, 09:53
Here is a link to the official Liverpool tourism website, which also has St.Helens as a subsection, as although people in St.Helens wont admit it, we are basically a suburb of Liverpool. A bit like Penrith is to Sydney.

Rubbish. St Helens is 12 miles from Liverpool and is a separate authority.

Spider Ski
16th January 2011, 11:04
Yeah we sure are indeed. Including the most famous in the NRL - GST (Great St George Team). Some of the guys who arent able to make the trek over to the UK with us will also be loading me up with their banners also. We'd be most appreciative to have some helping hands with them at the match if possible.

Will get in touch closer to the time! It'll be cracking to meet up.

french and conlon
16th January 2011, 11:19

I have visited Australia and yes it is a warmer yet very souless country. Given our proximity to Europe, and what that offers in terms of climate,scenery and history, Australia does not come close.

Gray77
16th January 2011, 13:49
Can we stick to the subject at hand. Here we have some Aussie RL fans travelling half way around the World to watch a game, they are after some local tips. They are not interested in our local squabbles and have done nothing for anyone to start bad-mouthing Australia, which has its great points and bad points like every other country in the World, ours included.

I watch a lot of St George games on the box, net, etc and these guys are as close to an English style atmosphere that exists in the NRL. They travel everywhere to follow their team, let's treat them with respect and hospitality and hope their team give Wigan a good whooping.

Can we leave our opinions on the merits of St Helens, Australia etc to the off-topic thread please.

Syd
16th January 2011, 14:24
Why doesnt a mod clean this post up, including THIS comment I just made. Get rid of the argument stuff, and just leave the usefull stuff behind, if there is any ?

Lets help the st geroge fans out.

Wanderer
16th January 2011, 20:45
I have visited Australia and yes it is a warmer yet very souless country. Given our proximity to Europe, and what that offers in terms of climate,scenery and history, Australia does not come close.
Australia's great. There are really only so many kings, queens, cathedrals and battles that a person can take without falling asleep.

And I assume you don't know about the Aborginal people? They've been around longer than anyone in Europe. I think Australia is also older as a continent than Europe. Not much history there, then. ;) And Australia has scenery that Europe does not, as well as scenery that it does have. It also has a variety of climates. Some that Europe does not have as well as some that it does.

The Major
16th January 2011, 21:37
Thanks for the tips re where to stay when in the north of England but we have already booked our accomodation in Manchester at the Ibis hotel. We will be in London for a few days first up then i think Thursday we are heading up to Manchester until when we leave on the Monday, the day after the WCC...... with the trophy.

Red_V_Roger
17th January 2011, 03:25
Thanks for the tips re where to stay when in the north of England but we have already booked our accomodation in Manchester at the Ibis hotel. We will be in London for a few days first up then i think Thursday we are heading up to Manchester until when we leave on the Monday, the day after the WCC...... with the trophy.

Well..we do hope you take the trophy. So just to re-state what somebody else already said. If you are going to take the train from Manchester to St Helens, you need to be aware that on the direct line out of Manchester, you can only get to St Helens Junction which is not in the town centre and not walkable. You would need to get a bus or taxi from there to the town centre...and before somebody corrects me on here, there are also other minor stations on that line, like Lea Green which is in St Helens, but again isnt close enough to teh town centre to walk.

You need to get to St Helens Central Station, which is only a two minute walk to The George. To get to St Helens Central, you would first need to take the train to Wigan and then change at WIgan to get to St Helens Central. I guess then you could break your journey and take a quick look round Wigan too.

With the exchange rate, a taxi may not be out of the question. A few years ago, we paid about 50 pounds from Manchester to St Helens town centre. So add a few pounds to that, you are probably looking at about $85 each way.

The Major
17th January 2011, 04:19
We may end up just getting a hire car for a few days yet. Not yet sure. What are the road conditions like around late Feb? We'll alll be sunburnt and used to driving around in singlets in 40 degree heat before heading your way so best we better prepare for what may or may not be safe for us if theres black ice, snow etc...

Red_V_Roger
17th January 2011, 06:59
We may end up just getting a hire car for a few days yet. Not yet sure. What are the road conditions like around late Feb? We'll alll be sunburnt and used to driving around in singlets in 40 degree heat before heading your way so best we better prepare for what may or may not be safe for us if theres black ice, snow etc...

Who knows that the weather will be like anywhere in teh world, but plan at least to wrap up warm! Getting from Manchester to St Helens is easy by road. Follow the M602 out of the Manchester in the direction of Liverpool...the M602 becomes the M62 and at junction 7 of the M62 turn off on to the A570 and head for St Helens. Or better still rent a car with a GPS!

Oh and you will have to call them vests in UK as they wont understand singlet. Please don't use the word thongs...better stick to flipflops....wearing your thongs means something completely different!

The Major
19th January 2011, 07:27
How long does it take to get from Manchester to St Helens central on the train? I guess thered be busses going from the George to Widnes for the Warrington game?

ploughman
19th January 2011, 07:43
How long does it take to get from Manchester to St Helens central on the train? I guess thered be busses going from the George to Widnes for the Warrington game?

30 minutes

The Major
19th January 2011, 08:38
Thanks mate.

Also, if you can help me.. How long would it take for us to get from Anfield to the George? We are doing a tour there in the afternoon and are thinking it might be better to go straight from there to St Helens and have a beer with you lot at the George before jumping on a coach out to Widnes if they are available for us.

Would it be a simple case of getting a train from Liverpool to St Helens central?

Geoggy
19th January 2011, 09:04
Thanks mate.

Also, if you can help me.. How long would it take for us to get from Anfield to the George? We are doing a tour there in the afternoon and are thinking it might be better to go straight from there to St Helens and have a beer with you lot at the George before jumping on a coach out to Widnes if they are available for us.

Would it be a simple case of getting a train from Liverpool to St Helens central?

Major - ploughman is incorrect.

Manchester trains do not run to the St Helens Central train station. They run to St Helens Junction from Manchester Victoria Station.

St Helens Junction is a few miles away from the twon centre - there are buses, but they are few and far between. It will cost about £6 in a cab, per cab to the centre of town (How many of there are you? Black cabs hold 5 passengers - private hire only hold 4). So allow about 45 mins to an hour.

Re Anfield - again this is not near any train stations in Liverpool.

The best way to get to Anfield from Liverpool City Centre would again be a taxi - probably be no more than £5.

The trains from Liverpool Lime Street railway station DO go into St Helens Central - and The George is a 2 minute walk from the station

See this thread for buses to Widnes and get in touch with Dave Howarth on here via PM to book seats.

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthread.php?17556-Gerard-Coaches-to-Widnes-2011-Season&p=326594#post326594

Wanderer
19th January 2011, 12:27
If you are going to St Helens Central from Manchester then you will need to go via Wigan so it will take longer than 30 minutes as you will have to wait for a connection at Wigan. You can get to St Helens Junction direct from Manchester and that takes about 30 minutes. You will then need to catch a bus (there is a bus stop at St Helens Junction) into town, another 15 minutes (go on Arriva buses as while they are the most expensive - £1.90 for one way - they are also the most direct). To get to the George from the bus it would be easist to get off at the bus station, which is obvious. The George is a 30 second walk from the bus station. Alternatively, there are often taxis at St Helens Junction or you can call a local taxi company to pick you up.

The no.17 bus goes to Widnes from St Helens town centre but I don't know how often they are. If you Google Merseytravel then you will be able to find out times and prices.

insaint
19th January 2011, 13:26
How long does it take to get from Manchester to St Helens central on the train?
Hi. As mentioned above, there are no direct trains from Manchester to St.Helens Central, you could get off at "St.Helens Junction" and then get the bus into the town centre from there, as suggested in the previous post.

But personally I think it would be better to get off at the station after St.Helens Junction, which is called Lea Green. This is still in St.Helens, but it's a more modern station (St.Helens Junction is a total dump), has a big park opposite, and also a large traditional English pub (The Bull & Dog) right next to it, if you fancy having a drink or meal before moving on.

Also, there are frequent buses into the town centre (about 10 minutes away) from the bus stop right next to the station, situated on the main road that goes into the town centre. Take a look at this rail map, you'd be travelling on the red line coming from the Manchester direction:

http://www.visitliverpool.com/dbimgs/Merseytravel%20Map.jpg

insaint
19th January 2011, 13:37
By the way, I don't know if it's been mentioned in previous posts, but if you buy an "all zones Saveaway ticket" you can travel anywhere in the Merseyside area (all of the yellow parts on the above map), on the bus, train, or cross river ferry, for £4.60 for the whole day (except between 6:30am to 9:30am on weekdays).

You can buy these tickets from any train/bus station in St.Helens or Liverpool.

More info here: http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/articleimages/Saveaway%20Jan%2011.pdf

Geoggy
19th January 2011, 15:48
If you are going to St Helens Central from Manchester then you will need to go via Wigan so it will take longer than 30 minutes as you will have to wait for a connection at Wigan. You can get to St Helens Junction direct from Manchester and that takes about 30 minutes. You will then need to catch a bus (there is a bus stop at St Helens Junction) into town, another 15 minutes (go on Arriva buses as while they are the most expensive - £1.90 for one way - they are also the most direct). .

Suggesting someone goes to Wigan and changes to get to St Helens Central is lunacy in my opinion - it adds 45 minutes to the journey and involves changing stations in Wigan. Then suggesting a group of people get on a bus at £1.90 each when a taxi would be cheaper is also bad advice.

Do as insaint says - get off at Lea Green - its closer ot the town centre so the taxi will be cheaper.

The buses in St Helens are rubbish and massively over priced. And I wouldn't risk a bus in Liverpool either to be honest - especially going to Anfield - one of the roughest parts of the city.

Northampton_Saint
19th January 2011, 16:03
By the way, I don't know if it's been mentioned in previous posts, but if you buy an "all zones Saveaway ticket" you can travel anywhere in the Merseyside area (all of the yellow parts on the above map), on the bus, train, or cross river ferry, for £4.60 for the whole day (except between 6:30am to 9:30am on weekdays).

How much??? It used to be 30p when I were a lad... Oh God, I must be old...

Wallasey Saint
19th January 2011, 16:04
There's a few ways of going from Manchester to St Helens, but don't go via Wigan, that'll ad extra time on to the journey, & you'll have to go from Wallgate to North Western[although you only have to cross over the Road, & walk 50 yards to transfer between the 2 Wigan stations].

Get the Train from Manchester Piccadilly/Oxford Road or Victoria to St Helens Junction, & catch the 35/35A[121/122 Eve & Sun]also the 141 to the Town Centre,, or you can stay on the Train from Victoria only, [Trains from Piccadilly & Oxford Road don't stop at Huyton] & change at Huyton, for St Helens Central.

insaint
19th January 2011, 17:28
50p is the cheapest I can remember for a kid's ticket. Not bad for a day out in Southport :biggrin:.

Wanderer
19th January 2011, 18:03
Suggesting someone goes to Wigan and changes to get to St Helens Central is lunacy in my opinion -
I wasn't suggesting it. I was simply explaining why the journey from Manchester to st Helens Central would take longer than 30 minutes, which is the time the previous poster had quoted it as taking. I would never recommend going from Manchester to St Helens Central. I suggested they go to St Helens Junction!

Red_V_Roger
20th January 2011, 00:54

9 1/2p when I was a lad.

Geoggy
20th January 2011, 08:43
I wasn't suggesting it. I was simply explaining why the journey from Manchester to st Helens Central would take longer than 30 minutes, which is the time the previous poster had quoted it as taking. I would never recommend going from Manchester to St Helens Central. I suggested they go to St Helens Junction!

soz cockle read it as a recommendation. in all fairness you did recommend the bus to the poor bloke, which would have cost more and they wouldn't have a clue where to get off ;)

ploughman
20th January 2011, 09:30
You can tell i dont use the trains

forward ref
20th January 2011, 09:47
SO after travelling God knows how many thousand miles from the other side of the world, we can't agree the best way for this poor chap to get the final 20 miles. If I was him I'd be so confused I'd watch it on the telly.

Northampton_Saint
20th January 2011, 11:28
50p is the cheapest I can remember for a kid's ticket. Not bad for a day out in Southport :biggrin:.

Indeed, if you could stand the never ending train journey from Liverpool Central to Southport to get there anyway... It used to make 14 stops in 15 miles if I remember correctly - the train hardly ever got above walking speed...

Wanderer
20th January 2011, 12:32
soz cockle read it as a recommendation. in all fairness you did recommend the bus to the poor bloke, which would have cost more and they wouldn't have a clue where to get off ;)
Actually, it would be easy to suggest to him where to get off the bus. The George is just a 30 second walk from the bus station (which is where I would suggest he got off the bus). The bus isn't the problem really. It's the rest of the journey which is! (Not sure the bus would cost more than a taxi though, or renting a car, or was I misunderstanding which 'cost more' you were referring to?)

DD
20th January 2011, 13:20
SO after travelling God knows how many thousand miles from the other side of the world, we can't agree the best way for this poor chap to get the final 20 miles. If I was him I'd be so confused I'd watch it on the telly.

Having worked in Manchester for fifteen years, I can confirm that Friday nights at Knowsley Road were more tricky to get to by public transport than virtually any other ground in Super League bar Harlequins and the Hull ones. Travelling to Widnes from Manchester will be significantly less taxing.

Note to The Major here as this thread seems to have gone badly adrift along the way. If you are still planning on getting tickets for the Warrington game, why don't you contact the club by email (PM me and I will get you an address), let them know how many of you are coming over and I'm sure they will sort it all out for you or at least point you in the right direction. Just make sure you tell them that you will need to collect them in person as you'll end up here and the tickets will end up by=passing you in Dubai on their way to Wollongong!:)

STG_MACCA
21st January 2011, 08:26
G'day guys,

I am also travelling over from Australia for the WCC and will be joining up with The Major whilst in Manchester.

Just to confirm, on the Friday of the match we will (8 of us) be coming from Anfield (or somewhere in Liverpool) as we will be doing the Anfield stadium tour at 3pm.
So we need to get from Liverpool to The George (any suggestion what time we need to arrive by to fit in a pint or more) before catching your supporters bus onto Widnes?

We are happy to get Taxis or trains or even a bus, to be honest we are easy going and up for an adventure (providing we are safe lol). I don't think anyone would want to be stuck driving (You do have drink driving rules I assume)?

Major received an email from someone at the Saints today advising him that tickets will be online from Friday (We are not sure if that's today or next week), so if anyone knows please advise.

All up there is about 20 people wishing to attend this match that we know about, but in total it appears that St.George Illawarra will be bringing a total of about 140 Aussies to support our team at the WCC.

Can't wait to meet some of you lads, and enjoy a beverage or plenty :-)

Regards
Macca

Reacher
21st January 2011, 09:16
With the link up between the Northern and Southern Hemisphere Saints, it would be nice for Sky to do a piece on it. Anyone any contacts in the media industry? A nice interview in the George and good publicity for the pub!

STG_MACCA
21st January 2011, 09:25
With the link up between the Northern and Southern Hemisphere Saints, it would be nice for Sky to do a piece on it. Anyone any contacts in the media industry? A nice interview in the George and good publicity for the pub!

Great idea, happy to contribute from our end if this thing can be hooked up.
Maybe we should reach out to our local people and see if they are interested?

Geoggy
21st January 2011, 10:41
Actually, it would be easy to suggest to him where to get off the bus. The George is just a 30 second walk from the bus station (which is where I would suggest he got off the bus). The bus isn't the problem really. It's the rest of the journey which is! (Not sure the bus would cost more than a taxi though, or renting a car, or was I misunderstanding which 'cost more' you were referring to?)

Simple maths - 1.90 each (x8) on infrequent dirty bus - or 5 quid in a cab (x2)

STG_MACCA
21st January 2011, 11:00
Simple maths - 1.90 each (x8) on infrequent dirty bus - or 5 quid in a cab (x2)

I am told it's about £25 in a Taxi from Liverpool to St.Helens, if that's accurate we will settle with that. Just need to know what time the bus to Widnes would anticipate leaving so we can work out if we will have time to visit pre match.

Greg
21st January 2011, 11:11
When I was in there a few weeks before Christmas I think they were talking about coaches leaving about 6.50pm from the George if I remember rightly. I'm sure the guy I was talking to said they hoped to offer return transport a pint and a pie for a fiver all in which ain't bad value fro money.

Geoggy
21st January 2011, 11:15
I am told it's about £25 in a Taxi from Liverpool to St.Helens, if that's accurate we will settle with that. Just need to know what time the bus to Widnes would anticipate leaving so we can work out if we will have time to visit pre match.

For the day you have planned I would do this mate.

Get train from Mancs to Liverpool.

Bail off the train into 2 black cabs and shout "Anfield stadium cobber" at the driver. (will cost about £12 for both cabs)

After you have been around Anfield get 2 black cabs back to Liverpool Lime Street Station.

Get on the train to St Helens Central.

Get off train - walk 2 minutes - voila you are in the George.

Easy peasy yer big galah ;)

Useful websites;

www.nationalrail.co.uk

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/travel

After the match you can catch a train direct from Widnes to Manchester City Centre. If you are staying at the Ibis on Princes Street I can recommend the Indian restaurant in the same building

www.eastzeast.com

STG_MACCA
21st January 2011, 21:26
For the day you have planned I would do this mate.

Get train from Mancs to Liverpool.

Bail off the train into 2 black cabs and shout "Anfield stadium cobber" at the driver. (will cost about £12 for both cabs)

After you have been around Anfield get 2 black cabs back to Liverpool Lime Street Station.

Get on the train to St Helens Central.

Get off train - walk 2 minutes - voila you are in the George.

Easy peasy yer big galah ;)

Useful websites;

www.nationalrail.co.uk

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/travel

After the match you can catch a train direct from Widnes to Manchester City Centre. If you are staying at the Ibis on Princes Street I can recommend the Indian restaurant in the same building

www.eastzeast.com

Excellent, sounds like a plan.
As for the Indian, I dunno I am a pussy with spicy food hahaha but thanks for the advice.

Cheers
Macca

LEE
21st January 2011, 23:58
your doing the anfield stadium tour on the friday? why not go to the uefa cup game on the thursday instead against sparta prague and expierence a proper atmosphere in the kop ? some will probably go on general sale and only been £20 a ticket in europa so far this season drop us a pm if you wanna know anymore

Spider Ski
22nd January 2011, 07:43
your doing the anfield stadium tour on the friday? why not go to the uefa cup game on the thursday instead against sparta prague and expierence a proper atmosphere in the kop ?

Yes, all that booing should prepare them for watching Saints.

STG_MACCA
22nd January 2011, 09:36
Thanks for the tip (and keep them coming if there is any more).

Unfortunately, I only land from Australia on the Friday morning, so I can't make the UEFA match. The Major and a few others are going to try get tickets so they may PM you. The Kop in full flight would be unreal.

We have scored tickets to the ManU V Wigan match on Saturday afternoon in Wigan, and will most likely go to the Man City V Fullham match on the Monday night.
I wish I could have stayed longer, but I am getting married this year and I have used up all of my excuses for 2011 getting to the UK for the WCC lol I still have a honeymoon to cover later in the year :-)

Cheers

Greg
22nd January 2011, 11:36
Any where in mind for pre match pints prior to the Wigan v Utd game?

Wallasey Saint
22nd January 2011, 12:02
Thanks for the tip (and keep them coming if there is any more).

Unfortunately, I only land from Australia on the Friday morning, so I can't make the UEFA match. The Major and a few others are going to try get tickets so they may PM you. The Kop in full flight would be unreal.

We have scored tickets to the ManU V Wigan match on Saturday afternoon in Wigan, and will most likely go to the Man City V Fullham match on the Monday night.
I wish I could have stayed longer, but I am getting married this year and I have used up all of my excuses for 2011 getting to the UK for the WCC lol I still have a honeymoon to cover later in the year :-)

Cheers

I'd catch the Stagecoach 17 from Queen Square Bus Station to Anfield stops outside the Kop stand, every 7/8 min Mon to Sat daytime, http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/pdf/tt_001/17%20Liverpool%20-%20Fazakerley%20or%20Kirkby%20%28from%2009%20Janua ry%202011%29.pdf

Rogues Gallery
22nd January 2011, 12:17
Any where in mind for pre match pints prior to the Wigan v Utd game?

The Anvil, just behind the Parish Church and close to the bus station would be a good bet, and only a 15 minute walk to the stadium.

The Chair Maker
22nd January 2011, 12:34
The Anvil, just behind the Parish Church and close to the bus station would be a good bet, and only a 15 minute walk to the stadium.

Thats if you know the back street routes, meandering round side streets and industrial estates, before crossing the canal.

For someone unfamiliar with Wigan it would be more like a 30 to 40 minute walk along the main roads

The Major
22nd January 2011, 13:04
What about after the match? What do you lot then do? Back to the George? Do the players go anywhere for post match functions??

Rogues Gallery
22nd January 2011, 14:47
Thats if you know the back street routes, meandering round side streets and industrial estates, before crossing the canal.

For someone unfamiliar with Wigan it would be more like a 30 to 40 minute walk along the main roads

Ah but the Latics are playing Man U, so there may be some Wigan based fans actually going, so just follow them. Not sure which team they'll be supporting though. :grin:

The Chair Maker
22nd January 2011, 15:26
What about after the match? What do you lot then do? Back to the George? Do the players go anywhere for post match functions??

When Saints played at Knowsley road people would tend to go in the Black Bull pub next to the ground pre and post match. Its a really big pub and had a massive beer Garden/bowling green at the rear.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/3826541462_98e8ae4d9c.jpg

However Knowsley road our ancestral home is being turned into a housing estate, so for 2011 Saints are homeless and are playing in Widnes while the new stadium is built.

Its likely that in 2012 when the new stadium opens, that "The George" will become a popular venue for fans to meet up pre and post game. However its only a small pub tucked away in a corner of the town centre, so cant really cater for huge numbers of fans. The place looks full with just 50 people in it.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/images/display/27158_3f639bf98c85e88ebef59c5f33459c1f.jpg?w=2

However for 2011 we are lost souls.
I suspect some people will go to The George, especially those getting a coach to Widnes from there.
However others are just as likely to head home, or just stay out round St.Helens town centre and the other pubs.

Reacher
22nd January 2011, 16:36
The Kop in full flight would be unreal.

They will be lucky to get a crowd of 30,000. Hardly a great game for you to attend. The Europa League is a tin pot trophy!

Reacher
22nd January 2011, 17:07
Incidentally Gray77 is famous on the St George forums. STG MACCA has a quote from Gray as his signature!! Nice one pal.

insaint
23rd January 2011, 00:28
The George is basically a terraced house masquerading as a pub. Shame the Aussie fans don't have a better watering hole to come to, IMO.

The Major
23rd January 2011, 05:47
That maybe the case the Europa league being a tincup farce. But have you seen our domestic soccer competition?? Your 5th grade league would be much more inspiring. Im not much of a fan of the round ball game. Im just more keen to go and murder as many pints as possible and listen to the crowd and hear YNWA sung by a big crowd in person.

The Major
23rd January 2011, 05:49
Never mind the size of the George i reckon. The pub, the Royal, where we drink near our home ground at Kogarah Jubilee isnt much on the large side either. But serves it purpose when we get the patrons into a few songs as the opposition fans walk past or drop in for a bevvy. As long as i can find a pub with a bunch of people where i can get an "oh when the saints" chant going, im happy!

STG_MACCA
24th January 2011, 10:10
So lads, after the experience at Widnes on the weekend, do you have any new advice for us?

Thanks

Barney Rubble
24th January 2011, 23:00
That maybe the case the Europa league being a tincup farce. But have you seen our domestic soccer competition?? Your 5th grade league would be much more inspiring. Im not much of a fan of the round ball game. Im just more keen to go and murder as many pints as possible and listen to the crowd and hear YNWA sung by a big crowd in person.I could put you on to a few nice boozers where a couple of LFC loving mates go to on a game night if you want ? Different to rugby boozers !

foozler
24th January 2011, 23:51
I reckon the Dragons have Wigan beat before they even turn up at the DW judging by the shocker of a jersey the Warriors have got together for the match:

http://store.wiganwarriors.com/world-club-championship-world-club-challenge-shirt-2011-jnr-p-wcc-2011-j-c-black,-cherry-and-white.html

I'm coming to the conclusion that someone in the Kooga design department really doesn't like the Pies!!!

Northampton_Saint
25th January 2011, 14:44
I reckon the Dragons have Wigan beat before they even turn up at the DW judging by the shocker of a jersey the Warriors have got together for the match:

http://store.wiganwarriors.com/world-club-championship-world-club-challenge-shirt-2011-jnr-p-wcc-2011-j-c-black,-cherry-and-white.html

I'm coming to the conclusion that someone in the Kooga design department really doesn't like the Pies!!!

W... T... F...????? That just needs some pink flowers, lilac cat silhouettes and maybe a few rainbow patches sown on it to complete the effect that I think they were looking for to make the Pies look like a bunch of Brownies on the day. Does it come with a matching sucky blanket and Hannah Montana satchel?

There must definitely be a Saints fan working undercover in the the Kooga shirt design department - there is no other possible explanation for the cringeworthy abominations the Goons will sheepishly be having to kick and chase around the field in this year.

Two Wheeled Saint
25th January 2011, 15:18
I will scrub my mouth out later, but I quite like it. It's seriously USA

http://www.sheplers.com/i/p/090/090969/090969_85_p1_550x550.jpg

lol
It's the shorts that I think are OTT

http://www.sheplers.com/i/p/294/294924/294924_70_p1_550x550.jpg

Northampton_Saint
25th January 2011, 21:26
I will scrub my mouth out later, but I quite like it. It's seriously USA
lol
It's the shorts that I think are OTT

http://www.sheplers.com/i/p/294/294924/294924_70_p1_550x550.jpg

Ah, I was wondering why the tops had that full face white hoody on them...

The Major
31st January 2011, 23:56
Good news. We've managed to secure tickets to your game vs Warrigton! We'll be in the Eastern Stand. We will be meeting you all at the George Hotel beforehand most definitely. How do we go about getting onto one of these coaches heading to the game? Will we be better heading back to the George after to celeberate or best staying in Widnes for a bit or just head back to Manchester and get on it there?

Greg
1st February 2011, 08:29
Good news. We've managed to secure tickets to your game vs Warrigton! We'll be in the Eastern Stand. We will be meeting you all at the George Hotel beforehand most definitely. How do we go about getting onto one of these coaches heading to the game? Will we be better heading back to the George after to celeberate or best staying in Widnes for a bit or just head back to Manchester and get on it there?

Think you better let them know how many places you want for the coach before hand as they might ned to book an exra one. Should imagine you'd be better off back at the George. Rumour has it the local pub in Widnes The Albion is hiking the price of a pint up by 35p for Saints games held in Widnes. Where are you staying that night?

Gruntfuttock
1st February 2011, 13:36
Conact St Bert on here he is the man for the George coaches , as was said you need to let him know how many of you there are and I think after the game it will be jumping in The George it usually is

Geoggy
1st February 2011, 17:02
Will we be better heading back to the George after to celeberate or best staying in Widnes for a bit or just head back to Manchester and get on it there?

Game will finish about 9.40 pm.

Coach will probably back at George ay 10.30 at earliest.

The last train from Manchester to St Helens that night is from St Helens Junction at 23.45

You would therefore have 45 minutes maximum before needing to get a cab to St Helens Junction to get the last train (and taxis are not easy to get at that time of night in St Helens).

I would do the George pre match, and then go back to Manchster from Widnes.

If you want a good bar to have a drink in Manchester frollowing the game- this is where I went driniking after our Grand Final defeat last year;

http://www.tapsbar.co.uk/

The Major
1st February 2011, 21:14
Each night we are staying at the Ibis hotel in Manchester. We will have to get our way back there post game. Id say we'd be doing the George before the game and maybe then back at the Albion afterwards for a brief stint and then head back to the Hotel from there and see whats doing out and about in Manchester i guess. Thanks heaps for all of your help guys. Come introduce yourselves at some stage and i'll shout you a pint.

Geoggy
2nd February 2011, 00:15
Wish I was around major. I've been to a game at Kogarah many years back vs the Warriors - Mundine ran the show - then a few schooners in the Leagues Club - wow - what a place!

Do me a favour - have a great time and smash Wigan

Div
2nd February 2011, 08:20
Wish I was around major. I've been to a game at Kogarah many years back vs the Warriors - Mundine ran the show - then a few schooners in the Leagues Club - wow - what a place!

I had a good day and night there too, in 1992 on the Lions Tour! I watched St George v Newcastle Knights at Kogarah. Returned another night for a Sportsmans Dinner among some true legends of the game both from GB and Australia the likes of Johnny Raper, etc. Followed by possibly the worse hangover I have ever experienced the next day !